Forums

Topic: Do Story in games need to be necessary?

Posts 61 to 71 of 71

CanisWolfred

KittenKoder wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

KittenKoder wrote:

Still sounds bland to me.

I have to admit, that's not the best example when it comes to the story, IMO, since he talked more about the dungeon than the story... Anyways, the main story in Skyrim isn't the best, but the side quests usually have better stories that I found quite interesting, and it's usually hard for Western RPGs to please me in that area. The Assassin's Guild Story, the story of the rebels' and the empire's struggles, even the struggles of individuals you meet along the way were far more memorable for me. I haven't even done everything yet, too.

Honestly, I don't really have an opinion on Skyrim, of course the memes are annoying now but that's not the game itself. Most game stories are really just reruns now anyway. For me to appreciate the story, it has to be at least 75% unique, or really, really, really long. I actually prefer lots of good puzzles, with a lot of variation, over story in games, but a game with a good story and cinematic scenes will entertain me, like Fire Emblem: Awakening. My only exception is Pokemon, for some reason I just like that series.

"There's nothing new under the sun" said everyone who's ever tried to write a story. There's nothing really unique anymore, it's all been done, everything's just a different version of classic tales that have been told for hundreds if not thousands of years. It's just about what elements you use and how you excecute those stories that make them yours. That goes for games as well.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Spanjard

CanisWolfred wrote:

It's just about what elements you use and how you excecute those stories that make them yours. That goes for games as well.

For music as well. This is exactly right.

I'm Mr. 2000! Hero of the famous european 3ds Direct! Honour me!

Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

MAB

Back in the olden days we just used our imagination

HERE STARTS YOUR FIGHT AGAINST EVIL!
PASS THE FIRST TESTS AND PROVE THAT
YOU ARE WORTH TO BE CALLED
'THE BRAVEST HERO'

GOOD LUCK!

MAB

triforcepower73

@CanisWolfred I guess so. Just to me, pressing L and R over and over til the enemy dropped dead didn't appeal to me. It just felt... wobbly and messy.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda Wii U, Rainbow Six Siege, Star Fox Wii U, FFXV.
Currently playing: Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Teslagrad, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and 100% completing Xenoblade Chronicles.
NNID: bryceybryce

Nintendo Network ID: bryceybryce

CanisWolfred

triforcepower73 wrote:

@CanisWolfred I guess so. Just to me, pressing L and R over and over til the enemy dropped dead didn't appeal to me. It just felt... wobbly and messy.

I tried a lot of different playstyles, and I find it's more fun when you mix it up with Magic and Shouts along with regular attacks. Especially once you get the high-level shouts and Magic. I especially liked Summoning Minions to help me out.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

SkywardLink98

A generic, pointless story is necessary. An amazing story on the other hand, can make the game.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

MAB

Not necessarily... They need to concentrate on getting back into the meat of what a game is about

MAB

SkywardLink98

@MadAussieBloke Well, game like Portal 2 and Alan Wake have incredible gameplay, but wouldn't be quite as amazing without the story, would they?

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

Sleepingmudkip

Gioku wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Gioku wrote:

@GamecubeMan: Then... what's the story in Pac-Man? That game only has a goal/scenario: eat all the dots, avoid all the ghosts.

Eat the dots before the ghost get you that is a story, you answer your own question

This is not a story! This is not a plot! A story in a game is an explanation for the scenario; not the scenario itself.

The story can be anything you want to be sweety(you have to save the dots from the evil ghosts by puting them in your belly)thats a story

Xander my husband...

Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Gioku wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Gioku wrote:

@GamecubeMan: Then... what's the story in Pac-Man? That game only has a goal/scenario: eat all the dots, avoid all the ghosts.

Eat the dots before the ghost get you that is a story, you answer your own question

This is not a story! This is not a plot! A story in a game is an explanation for the scenario; not the scenario itself.

The story can be anything you want to be sweety(you have to save the dots from the evil ghosts by puting them in your belly)thats a story

I don't know if you're being serious or not, but I like this philosophy.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Relias

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Not necessarily... They need to concentrate on getting back into the meat of what a game is about

Bah blasphemy... that is not a Navy Seal that is a insult.. first he takes about a foot or two drop and acts like it's killing him and takes damage.. and then he took 4 shots to eliminate a generic enemy.. Blasphemy I tell you... Bah..

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic