General Discussion Forum

Topic: Do Story in games need to be necessary?

Showing 41 to 60 of 71

AuthorMessage
Avatar

triforcepower73

41. Posted:

LordJumpMad wrote:

When you buy a game you expect it to have both great gameplay and story. But, when it comes to Nintendo games, you only get one of each.
Like Mario, great gameplay, little to no story, and Zelda, all story and reused gameplay from the series.

Not every game can be like Skyrim or Batman, which have both.

I wasn't particularly impressed by Skyrim's story. It was the same generic "dragon is taking over the world and you're the only one who can do anything to stop it" plot.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"

3DS Friend Code: 1246-9651-1758 | Nintendo Network ID: bryceybryce

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

42. Posted:

I've played probably around 8-9 hours of Skyrim, and I know the plot has more to it than that. Plot isn't just limited to a main story, plot can also be told in smaller bites. Fellglow Keep, for example, is one of those smaller bites and it provided a very interesting bite at that. I'm not even referring to the deeper rooms of the dungeons, as I went down a dead end route, but rather the hostile atmosphere established by the fact that the place is crawling with mages that are separated from the College of Winterhold and how guarded those mages are of the location. Just trying to clear the guarding mages and the Flame Atronach so that I could explore the site took me a while, going from an offensive Flames and Firebolt approach to a more defensive bow and arrow attack in hiding during the process. It is one of the better atmospheric experiences I've had in a game, and appropriately that was only possible with the solid story and gameplay at Fellglow Keep.

Edited on by I-U

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

43. Posted:

I-U wrote:

I've played probably around 8-9 hours of Skyrim, and I know the plot has more to it than that. Plot isn't just limited to a main story, plot can also be told in smaller bites. Fellglow Keep, for example, is one of those smaller bites and it provided a very interesting bite at that. I'm not even referring to the deeper rooms of the dungeons, as I went down a dead end route, but rather the hostile atmosphere established by the fact that the place is crawling with mages that are separated from the College of Winterhold and how guarded those mages are of the location. Just trying to clear the guarding mages and the Flame Atronach so that I could explore the site took me a while, going from an offensive Flames and Firebolt approach to a more defensive bow and arrow attack in hiding during the process. It is one of the better atmospheric experiences I've had in a game, and appropriately that was only possible with the solid story and gameplay at Fellglow Keep.

Still sounds bland to me.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

44. Posted:

some games do and some don't. Multiplayer focused games normally don't really need a story the same goes for time killing games(arcade games and some kinds of puzzle games, for example) while most single player games that don't fit the "time killing" category need a story even if it's a basic one with no development.... some games can be killed by having a story that drags the attention away from the gameplay too much but the complete lack of a story can make a game boring sometimes, it's all a matter of balance if the game's suposed to be "pick and play" a story might not be the best option but if it's a game that must keep the player's attention for a good while a good story IS the best option.

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

45. Posted:

KittenKoder wrote:

I-U wrote:

I've played probably around 8-9 hours of Skyrim, and I know the plot has more to it than that. Plot isn't just limited to a main story, plot can also be told in smaller bites. Fellglow Keep, for example, is one of those smaller bites and it provided a very interesting bite at that. I'm not even referring to the deeper rooms of the dungeons, as I went down a dead end route, but rather the hostile atmosphere established by the fact that the place is crawling with mages that are separated from the College of Winterhold and how guarded those mages are of the location. Just trying to clear the guarding mages and the Flame Atronach so that I could explore the site took me a while, going from an offensive Flames and Firebolt approach to a more defensive bow and arrow attack in hiding during the process. It is one of the better atmospheric experiences I've had in a game, and appropriately that was only possible with the solid story and gameplay at Fellglow Keep.

Still sounds bland to me.

I have to admit, that's not the best example when it comes to the story, IMO, since he talked more about the dungeon than the story... Anyways, the main story in Skyrim isn't the best, but the side quests usually have better stories that I found quite interesting, and it's usually hard for Western RPGs to please me in that area. The Assassin's Guild Story, the story of the rebels' and the empire's struggles, even the struggles of individuals you meet along the way were far more memorable for me. I haven't even done everything yet, too.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

46. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I have to admit, that's not the best example when it comes to the story, IMO, since he talked more about the dungeon than the story...

When did the setting lose significance in a story?

Edited on by I-U

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

47. Posted:

I-U wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I have to admit, that's not the best example when it comes to the story, IMO, since he talked more about the dungeon than the story...

When did the setting lose significance in a story?

That has more to do with atmosphere, which I always felt was a separate element that can enhance other aspects, but isn't necessarily required for those aspects to work. I'm no expert, though, I just know that setting is the last thing I think of when I'm looking at a story...

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

48. Posted:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

I don't demand gameplay from my books,

Well, except the Choose Your Own Adventure books. Those were awesome. :D

Did you ever have the Super Mario ones? I think there was some standard "If you choose to x, turn to page 23, if you choose to y turn to page 87," but there were also mazes and puzzles and such to solve, and if you solved them right you'd advance the story...solve them wrong and you'd be penalized.

They were actually really good! ...I remember thinking when I was 10.

Heh. No, I never had the Mario ones — the only ones I had were from the original "classic" Choose Your Own Adventure series (with the awesome cover art). I also remember the copies in the school library (elementary school — yikes, i'm old!) were almost permanently checked out — the second one would be returned, people would jump on it. :)

Hmm, now i'm tempted to hunt on eBay and track some of them down, just on nostalgic principle ...

(also, the rest of you in this thread can continue go about your business; just ignore my derailment, lol :D )

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GamecubeMan

49. Posted:

Techinically speaking almost every game has a story. Something as simple as a princess being kidnapped is a story. Now a complex story with deep characters, plot twists, multiple endings and amazing writing. Is that neccesary? It all depends on the specific game. Some games can be instant classics and use the same exact story over and over again. While others are almost expected to have a good story. Take Metal Gear Solid for example. Would that series be the same with out a story? Also at one point Mario Party had a story..... is that even necessary?

Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
I only see GC 4.0 happening if I become a English major. Yeah... not happening.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter: jazzygcnman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

50. Posted:

No, but I do want some incentive. If a developer doesn't want to put a grand story into their game that's fine, just give me a reason for why I'm doing what I am in the game. Like saving a princess, or stopping a doctor getting revenge on his ex-co-worker.

@the_shpydar I did that recently! I was thinking how awesome those books were as kid and got a few on ebay! :D Some were the goosebumps choose your own ending books lol!

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

triforcepower73

51. Posted:

@I-U What you're talking about is going through the dungeon and the atmosphere that it gives off. But you have to fight enemies in those dungeons. Too bad that a game like Skyrim, in which fighting is such an important part, has AWFUL combat. That fact alone threw off the experience for me even though it had good atmosphere, I guess. As your signature indicates, you've played Xenoblade Chronicles. And I would hope you agree with me that that is a much better example of a game that has great gameplay and great story! It has absolutely incredible atmosphere and the sense of exploration you get from Skyrim (without the horrid combat) and an awesome story to go with it. I just realized also that Skyrim's main storyline isn't that bad, it was just the presentation that was bad. For example, using the same engine for the "cutscenes" or, rather important points in the story, was just a plain bad idea.

Edited on by triforcepower73

"The future doesn't belong to you!"

3DS Friend Code: 1246-9651-1758 | Nintendo Network ID: bryceybryce

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

52. Posted:

@GamecubeMan: Then... what's the story in Pac-Man? That game only has a goal/scenario: eat all the dots, avoid all the ghosts.

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sleepingmudkip

53. Posted:

Gioku wrote:

@GamecubeMan: Then... what's the story in Pac-Man? That game only has a goal/scenario: eat all the dots, avoid all the ghosts.

Eat the dots before the ghost get you that is a story, you answer your own question

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

The Final 2 Great Turn-Base RPGs Pokemon and Fire Emblem

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

54. Posted:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Gioku wrote:

@GamecubeMan: Then... what's the story in Pac-Man? That game only has a goal/scenario: eat all the dots, avoid all the ghosts.

Eat the dots before the ghost get you that is a story, you answer your own question

This is not a story! This is not a plot! A story in a game is an explanation for the scenario; not the scenario itself.

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

55. Posted:

@triforcepower73 - I thought Skyrim had great combat, myself. And I don't say that often about Western RPGs. To each their own, I guess...

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

56. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

KittenKoder wrote:

Still sounds bland to me.

I have to admit, that's not the best example when it comes to the story, IMO, since he talked more about the dungeon than the story... Anyways, the main story in Skyrim isn't the best, but the side quests usually have better stories that I found quite interesting, and it's usually hard for Western RPGs to please me in that area. The Assassin's Guild Story, the story of the rebels' and the empire's struggles, even the struggles of individuals you meet along the way were far more memorable for me. I haven't even done everything yet, too.

Honestly, I don't really have an opinion on Skyrim, of course the memes are annoying now but that's not the game itself. Most game stories are really just reruns now anyway. For me to appreciate the story, it has to be at least 75% unique, or really, really, really long. I actually prefer lots of good puzzles, with a lot of variation, over story in games, but a game with a good story and cinematic scenes will entertain me, like Fire Emblem: Awakening. My only exception is Pokemon, for some reason I just like that series.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

57. Posted:

GamecubeMan wrote:

Techinically speaking almost every game has a story. Something as simple as a princess being kidnapped is a story. Now a complex story with deep characters, plot twists, multiple endings and amazing writing. Is that neccesary? It all depends on the specific game. Some games can be instant classics and use the same exact story over and over again. While others are almost expected to have a good story. Take Metal Gear Solid for example. Would that series be the same with out a story? Also at one point Mario Party had a story..... is that even necessary?

Sorry, but as others pointed out, not every game has a story. A story has three parts, the beginning, the middle, and the end. Pac-Man has a set of rules, same with Tetris, same with thousands of other games. The vast majority of games through all of history have no story at all, Backgammon is one of the oldest games, that has no story, checkers has no story, chess has no story, I can name many more.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

58. Posted:

Well no games don't require stories for the most part... Does best old man impression Heck not even the best games in my day had a complete story.. no sir.. they just had a set up... for instance.. this old lady named Impa went out and found a boy named Link.. based off visions she had.. and set him off on a adventure to save the world from some feller named Gannon course this here was in one of dem Instruction Manuals... you kids don't know what those are now in days... anywho.. the point is in my day.. there was a set up for the adventure.. then you played the game.. that there was the middle and ultimately the ending.. so ya see.. back in the olden days.. the game for the most part was two thirds of the story... oh dem dere were the glory days..

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

59. Posted:

Gioku wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Gioku wrote:

@GamecubeMan: Then... what's the story in Pac-Man? That game only has a goal/scenario: eat all the dots, avoid all the ghosts.

Eat the dots before the ghost get you that is a story, you answer your own question

This is not a story! This is not a plot! A story in a game is an explanation for the scenario; not the scenario itself.

actually if I remember correctly in the Instruction Booklet to Pac Man on the 2600.. there was something about Pac Man being on his way home.. and getting sucked into another world and the Ghosts chasing him.. so he has to somehow find his way home.. will you help him?? or something like that...so yeah there is something of a story.. (Well a set up anyway) like all the games from that time..

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

60. Posted:

@Relias: Yeah, but I'd rather not remember Pac-Man on Atari 2600... :P

Edited on by Gioku

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku