Forums

Topic: Are you a Republican or Democrat?

Posts 121 to 140 of 151

brooks83

Bush was certainly not as bad of a president as the left wing media made him out to be. Was it a mistake to go into Iraq? Probably. Other than that though, I thought he was a good president. I always felt that he had the best intentions and truly cared about keeping our nation safe. On the other hand, I feel like Obama only cares about himself and power and expanding the government until we are nothing more than a welfare country. Obama's poll numbers are lower than Bush's were at this point in his presidency, and they are continuing to drop.

brooks83

SwerdMurd

Negative perception of Bush = Cheney. Seriously--now that he's going public my sneaking suspicions of "Maybe Bush is an OK dude and his cabinet is full of douches" are becoming realized to a degree. Cheney is an old, stubborn racist and he wants to exterminate the Iraqis, straight up.

TBH at least Bush presented himself like a decent guy, even if his pronunciation belied his intelligence...Obama just seems like a hothead and I don't like the way he deals with people. He can wordsmith all he wants--all I keep hearing is 40% tax rate.

And to answer the topic question...I honestly don't know. I'm still deciding--I was raised in a ridicustaunch-Republican household, and given my age, Democrat makes more sense...but it's hard not to notice how many older, succesful people are Republican and that there might be something to that. Honestly, Libertarianism makes more sense than anything right now. Just leave me the hell alone--I can take care of myself.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

brooks83

I can't remember who said this, but I heard someone say that while Bush may have butchered the English language, when he's done talking you know what he meant. You understood what he was trying to say to you. With Obama, he may speak eloquently and not make up words, but usually when he says something you will be scratching your head trying to figure out what the hell he is talking about.

brooks83

malpon

Thats called "double speak" something thats used VERY often by politions in order to confuse the public and make them think the polition is smarter or said something importent when they arent really saying anything. Bush dident use double speak witch is the main reason people dident think he was very smart.

This lesbian bar doesent have a fire exit!

Stuffgamer1

To clarify, I am Conservative, and NOT Republican. I do vote on issues, and not just automatically on the Republican. That said, I've only been old enough to vote in one election thus far, and there was no WAY I was going to support Obummer! (just a little tease...no complaints, please) I'm well aware that McCain wasn't much better, but as I said, it's a "lesser of two evils" thing, because I don't believe in wasting my vote on some little guy who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being elected anyway.

Overall, I believe that modern American politics are just completely F'd up. I would love the opportunity to vote for a strong, upstanding American like Lincoln, but so such politician exists anymore.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

SwerdMurd

@malnin - you don't make a very strong argument without even being able to accurately single-speak...or write....seriously, defending a widely-criticized-for-intelligence-based-reasons president is the wrong situation to make such glaring spelling mistakes. It underlines 'dident' in red dots in this text box for good reason.

This to me indicates parents'-political-views-echoed-by-child...

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

The_Fox

brooks83 wrote:

Bush was certainly not as bad of a president as the left wing media made him out to be. Was it a mistake to go into Iraq? Probably. Other than that though, I thought he was a good president. I always felt that he had the best intentions and truly cared about keeping our nation safe. On the other hand, I feel like Obama only cares about himself and power and expanding the government until we are nothing more than a welfare country. Obama's poll numbers are lower than Bush's were at this point in his presidency, and they are continuing to drop.

I should add that poll numbers are a bit misleading. Ever wonder why the numbers for Bush went up or down based on the situation in Iraq? (by the end they were low all the time, but we could argue why all day). Obama walked into a bad situation (where Bush walked into a good one until 9/11) and some people no doubt thought things would magically be better (honestly, they would have thought the same with McCain). When the economic situation improves and the jobless rate falls, you'll no doubt see the numbers pull back up.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Machu

Untitled

Matt n Trey are alot cleverererer than people give them credit for. Patience America!

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

The_Fox

Machu wrote:

American's defending Bush and his administrations actions. I feel sick!

I stayed up late THAT night and watched as bombs fell upon Iraq, it was even more shocking and upsetting than when I saw that second plane hit the towers. Bush and Blair lied to us, or were stupid enough to be lied to themselves.

Is there any hope for us when you doubt Obama yet praise Bush. I feel genuinely sad now having read your praise of that ****ing idiotic cowboy.

Please don't reply to this post as my counter reply will probably result in me being banned. Just don't, ok!

EDIT: I'm calm now, do your worst.

Hey, I'm pro-Obama! I hated Bush! You can't expect everyone to feel that way, though.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Vendetta

Machu wrote:

American's defending Bush and his administrations actions. I feel sick!

I stayed up late THAT night and watched as bombs fell upon Iraq, it was even more shocking and upsetting than when I saw that second plane hit the towers.

"Allies" more shocked and upset by the toppling of genocidal, torturous dictator than the terrorist destruction of the World Trade Center and murder of almost 4,000 innocent people. I feel sick!

I was up that morning and saw the planes hit, in real time - smelled the smoke, saw the F-15s in combat air patrol afterward, and knew people that were killed - and let me tell you buddy, your way out of line.

Vendetta

Machu

Hey I didn't mean anything by it, the two events were equally horrific for the innocents involved. 911 (I hate to call it that) affected me for a very long time and still does, it changed the world, and I felt for everyone who died in or survived through that nightmare. I meant not to offend! And I am sorry if I did.

I really am sorry if I upset you, you took my words out of context. I feel sick now too if that helps.

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Vendetta

Look, it's not about the two events being equally horrific for the innocents and the survivors. Yeah, dying sucks... So? That's not exactly meaningful common ground upon which we can agree. In Baghdad, there was military presence in the streets for a long time prior to "THAT night," and the citizenry was full aware of what was going on. They were warned by the Allies time and time again to leave because their dictator wouldn't cooperate with the UN resolutions and there may be a military strike. Those civilians were NOT the targets.

On the other hand, civilians were the ONLY targets in the attack on NY. There was NO military value to attacking the WTC or killing thousands of people. It was terrorism, pure and simple. And in that terror, there can be no comparison, let alone equation, to the assault on Iraq to liberate its civilians from the oppression by Hussein.

And I appreciate your regrets. It's cool. I've got some pretty thick skin. ...but just in case, I've got this mask to ensure a calm outward appearance.

Edited on by Vendetta

Vendetta

brooks83

The+Fox wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

I should add that poll numbers are a bit misleading. Ever wonder why the numbers for Bush went up or down based on the situation in Iraq? (by the end they were low all the time, but we could argue why all day). Obama walked into a bad situation (where Bush walked into a good one until 9/11) and some people no doubt thought things would magically be better (honestly, they would have thought the same with McCain). When the economic situation improves and the jobless rate falls, you'll no doubt see the numbers pull back up.

I'm sure that people would have expected the economy to magically improve if McCain were elected too. And yes, Obama did walk into a bad situation. But six months into his term, this is now Obama's economy, no matter how much he wants to still blame Bush. His reckless stimulus spending (nearly a trillion dollars, mostly on pet projects) has not helped the economy, even though he literally promised the unemployment rate would not go past 8 percent because of it. Now it's almost at 10 percent nationally, in some parts of the country even higher. It's time for him to take some responsibility, is he gonna blame Bush for the rest of his term? His poll numbers are dropping not just because of the economy though. They are dropping because of this health care reform debacle that he has failed to sell to the American people. When the American people have read the bill and when the members of Congress (who are the ones voting on the bill) have not, you know we are in trouble. If it were up to me, I would say vote every member of Congress, Republican and Democrat, and let's get a fresh batch of people in. Ones who will actually read what they are voting on. If the economy improves (under Obama's policies, it probably wont) his poll numbers could pick back up, but the American people are beginning to not trust what Obama says, so we will have to wait and see.

brooks83

Machu

@V: After I read you reaction to what I can only call 'one post too many', i was crushed tbh, ashamed and really quite upset with my self. Not because I purposely meant any disrespect, but because I had inadvertently upset and angered a New Yorker, about that subject of all subjects. I have relived that day over and over and will never forget that chilling feeling I felt that day, knowing things had just changed and feared what may be ahead. I'd like to tell you my 'what were you doing then' story but I'm sure you've heard many, more profound than mine, living so close to Ground Zero. I was glued to News24 for 3 whole months, mourning with America, and will not forget. This is genuine, I am not back tracking, just regretful.

I went for a looong walk, after turning the computer off in shock, and was forced through every memory I had of that day, I have a very pictorial mind and was treated to images of the twin towers combined with 'the mask of 'Vendetta'. Can you imagine how ****ing scary that was. 0_o I am numb.

So I just wanted to apologize again (even though you made it clear I don't need to, being the dude that you are), if we met in the real world you would appreciate I am much more than my words could ever convey.

I definitely learned a lesson today.

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Vendetta

Look man, if nothing else, I'm glad that we were given pause here to remember the tragedy. And in our remembering, let's acknowledge that on that day were were all brothers, and that relationship is immune to time passing or memories fading.

Stay cool, and don't lose any sleep tonight. We'll pick it up some other time.

Edited on by Vendetta

Vendetta

geek-master

brooks83 wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

I'm sure that people would have expected the economy to magically improve if McCain were elected too. And yes, Obama did walk into a bad situation. But six months into his term, this is now Obama's economy, no matter how much he wants to still blame Bush. His reckless stimulus spending (nearly a trillion dollars, mostly on pet projects) has not helped the economy, even though he literally promised the unemployment rate would not go past 8 percent because of it. Now it's almost at 10 percent nationally, in some parts of the country even higher. It's time for him to take some responsibility, is he gonna blame Bush for the rest of his term? His poll numbers are dropping not just because of the economy though. They are dropping because of this health care reform debacle that he has failed to sell to the American people. When the American people have read the bill and when the members of Congress (who are the ones voting on the bill) have not, you know we are in trouble. If it were up to me, I would say vote every member of Congress, Republican and Democrat, and let's get a fresh batch of people in. Ones who will actually read what they are voting on. If the economy improves (under Obama's policies, it probably wont) his poll numbers could pick back up, but the American people are beginning to not trust what Obama says, so we will have to wait and see.

DEMOCRATS HATE BUSH BECAUSE HE STARTED THE WAR. BUT!!! HE WAS PROTECTING US FROMFUTURE TERERIST ATTACKS BY DOING SO!!! NO ATTACK SENCE 2001!! OBAMA IS WANTING AMERICA TO BE FROWN DOWN THE DRAIN!!! LISTEN TO MICHIAL SAVAGE NOW!!!!!!!!!!

This is ground control to major Tom, you've really made the grade. And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

Machu

@V: Thanks. I really beat myself up today, not through guilt, but in remembrance (well actually, both). I'm eager to visit NY one day, and will spend a whole day reflecting and paying respect at Ground Zero, not because I feel I have to, because I want to.

I'm cool (now), I'll see you around.

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Vendetta

...and if we're still kicking it around here on NL when that day comes, let me know and I'll show you some good spots in the city.

I travelled all over Europe in the year following the attack, and would be happy to return fraternal kindnesses I received while there.

Vendetta

Machu

Sounds good.

Back on topic guys, forget I was ever here. if only you could, ha

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Stuffgamer1

Wow, I'm surprised how this turned into the discussion it did (and no more yelling at me...yet). Not that anybody probably needs to know this, but I still have difficulty wrapping my head around the whole 9/11 thing. I was only 12 at the time, and being homeschooled, the whole day was thrown off when my dad came home from work early due to fear that NSA might be hit, too. I didn't stare at the news all day...I only learned bits and pieces at the time, really...

I've heard some amazing stories about that day since (many of them testimonies of people spared from being in the towers for highly unusual reasons). Even so, I only sort of understand the whole deal even now. It seems almost like a dream, if that makes any sense. All the same, I know it was in fact real, and I do sympathize with those affected by it as best I can. If I have ever sounded or ever do sound insensitive about it, it's entirely unintentional, born out of that lack of understanding. No idea why I felt the need to say all that...

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.