Forums

Topic: All-Encompassing E3 2018 Thread

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 1,693

Henmii

So far Beyond Good and evil looks pretty cool, and I like the community aspect. However, the new leads need some getting used to (I found the monkey annoying in the 2017 trailer, not so much in this trailer. But I would have loved Jade and Pey in the lead. But of course Jade is now one of the villains). And its a pity that they now go more for blood and cursing. The original didn't need that. Anyway I would still like this game on Switch, but that definitely won't happen.

I am confused with the story though: This is supposed to be a prequel, yet it was stated in the original that Pey fled with baby Jade because of the Domz. So why is she now grown up and evil if this plays before the original?

Henmii

Dogorilla

@Henmii I agree it's a shame they've gone for a more 'mature' style (that actually makes it seem more immature). The original was fairly mature in its themes but didn't need to try and prove it by filling it with F-bombs.

Pey'j recognised Jade when she appeared in the new trailer, so I'm guessing she left him as a teen or young adult and became part of some evil group. Presumably the story will involve Pey'j winning her back to the 'light side'.

Also I seem to remember last year, when the website for the Space Monkey Program (the beta testing thing for BG&E2) went live, it said something about the beta being on Xbox One, PS4 and PC, but Michel Ancel clarified that this wasn't necessarily indicative of the platforms the game would be released on. That gave me hope that it might be coming to Switch, but maybe he was saying that in case it takes so long to develop that the PS5 and Xbox Two are out by the time the game is finished. We'll see!

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX no i didn't unlock got wheels yet. I did the second fest, the first after you get to the beach. Also tried searching of thieves with the $1 game pass sale.... It's weird. Cool potential, but it just don't you in the world with NO explanation of what you're doing at all. Even elder scrolls online, a true mmo, doesn't start that bad and had a story tutorial. Cool play thing, bad game. Rip rare.

Slap trying nioh on ps4... Still in the tower of London before getting to Japan but really cool game. Feels less soulsborne, more ninja gaiden. It's good! I hate bloodborne even for free. Got souls3 on x1 for 15 but will wait for souls 1 on switch. "Samurai souls" from the ms conference looks like nioh meets souls (not exclusive)

Still working through South Park on switch, and squeezing in sushi striker and octo expansion I'm between. It's like a job playing all this. Maybe i should go pro and get paid.

NEStalgia

JoyBoy

I just heard people say Microsoft had a great conference, the best even. But other than improving their image at e3, which they undoubtedly did, i think they did the worst in terms of marketing. I don’t remember any particular game, only if I think very hard I’ll remember halo (and the car game) maybe. When I think Microsoft conference I see blurry images of shooty stuff and more 3rd person shooting stuff. So I think they showed too much and even though fanboys like that and rewatch every trailer the whole week, there’s only so many fanboys in the world. I can’t be alone in this but I’m open to other viewpoints.

Sony did better in that regard, even though I don’t like all the games I definitely remember what they showed and not just because of volume either. They focused more on each game and the games are more diverse(which could be argued)

With Nintendo I did remember everything but I’m also kind of biased and they didn’t show a ton as well. Good on them to start of with the niche mech game, which I might not have remembered if they didn’t start off with it.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

link3710

@Kimyonaakuma Yeah, I saw all of those other than Fortnite now that you mention it lol, thanks!

link3710

NEStalgia

@Spanjard ms had way more than shooty finally though it was biased toward it. It also had vespyria, kh3, dmc5, "samurai souls", ori.... Lots of variety.

Sony had mostly games about death plus Spidey and samurai (death).

Nintendo had smash anssomeotherstuffshownfast

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah, no rush. I was just curious. You'll get there when you'll get there, simple. I'm not that negative about the whole discovery at your own whim part, though. That's what Forza Horizon is all about, and it's what makes the game so enjoyable.

It does sound like you do need to learn (or get better at) how to use the map and the route planner, because it really isn't that hard to find events and hidden cars. Well, except with the latter, the route planner only guides you to within a ballpark vicinity, and you'll have to find the hidden car yourself, but it really isn't that hard, especially once you get the game's mechanics down.

As for getting paid for it: just start a YouTube channel. Even botched Let's Plays with lots of failures and swearing get thousands of hits. Might score you some extra pocket money for this sometimes all too expensive hobby...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX the map is simple.... It's just hard to make progress 8 minutes at a time

Troubleshooting a flaky hdmi splitter now. It's given me trouble for months so i got a different one, and now that one doesn't work at all. Broken? Bad cable? No time for Forza, i need to get Forza working!

I'm no youtube personality, but i sometimes wonder if watching the elderly (older than 29) crowd play games would be a good sell

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Spanjard If you think Microsoft did bad or even worst, then you couldn't be more wrong. They more than likely had the best of all the presentations. The whole presentation was very professional, with next to no screw ups, lots of variety in games, both first and third party, and they only dropped a few tiny balls here and there, for example by omitting some information that loyal fans were waiting for, such as more on OG Xbox backward compatibility and what other games will be added to that list, but other than that, they beat Sony by several miles.

Sony did have some great games, but they had the biggest screw up of the entire E3, with their weird musical intermezzos, partially meant to disguise the messy presentation, what with all the moving of people to another location to be able to continue the show. It was VERY unprofessional, and something that shouldn't have happened.

Having good games doesn't make up for that mess. And there most definitely wasn't more diversity in their games than Microsoft had. Heck, even Nintendo had more diversity in its games than Sony did...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I see there's a bit of miscommunication there. Probably because of your auto correct...

You were talking about Sea of Thieves? But it says "searching of thieves"....

NEStalgia wrote:

I'm no youtube personality, but i sometimes wonder if watching the elderly (older than 29) crowd play games would be a good sell

Just call it "Geriatric Let's Plays" and perhaps you'll even open up a whole new world of possibilities...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@Octane when does the thread get a petting mini game?

@Kimyonaakuma the problem this year was the frat house bro fest the smash guys had, and that it was always the same group playing rowdy. Some segments they conveyed information like usual but most it was like they were just playing for themselves with a forced "look hmuch fun we have with this game as a group of hip friends" the Audrey, Kendra dynamic still had them mostly conveying info. But i feel it's not there personalities but the direction.... It seems the focus was to show "people having fun in groups with Nintendo (TM) brand products" rather than sitting e3 information. Jc and demitrius aren't usually that boring.

Sam is management now so she's doing the formal Nintendo thing like bill. I get the feeling Chiko of management as well... Not sure her role but she strikes me as someone a bit more authorized in her interactions. There was the only fun one this time though. It's just awkward when they make her the English host that has to go through the translator when she's the only native Japanese speaker other than the dev on the set....

It was funny the few times she just gave up on the translation and asked setup instructions for the demo directly (insert iwata gave gesture) of the guest.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Kimyonaakuma

@link3710 You're welcome!

@NEStalgia I skipped most of the Smash coverage and I still didn't enjoy it as much as I usually do, not that it's the most thrilling thing to watch but it has it's moments occasionally
The Smash sections (all 500 of them!) were just not interesting. I'm not a big fan of Smash but it just seemed like they had space to fill so they got some of the guys to beat eachother up while trying to showcase some new characters once in a while.
But to be honest what did they have to show to fill all of those segments? Three characters and maybe a few new stages? That isn't enough to keep people interested, even if you want to also talk about costume changes and redesigns. I get that it was their main game this E3 but they needed to show more if they wanted to livestream that much. But I think the lack of big games revealed during the Direct was the cause of the issue. If they shortened the Smash section and announced some more games we wouldn't have needed repeated sections for Smash, Mario Tennis Aces and Octo Expansion. A brief FE section could have worked too, they obviously have a translated build of the game from the trailer so why not use that?

I preferred the Audrey/Kindra/Theresa sections in previous years, even if they had to spend half an hour talking about one Rune of Breath of the Wild they still made it interesting. You would always see plenty of gameplay, have some entertaining moments and learn more about the game in general - which I'm pretty is the three reasons why they bother doing these livestreams.
This year it was just awkward and had that as you mentioned "people having fun in groups with Nintendo (TM) brand products". If the games themselves are fun you don't need to try and sell it that hard in my opinion.

I just checked and apparently she's the Assistant Manager of Product Marketing, which does explain the forced business-like behaviour, but it doesn't really match the mood that everyone else in the room has so it just makes her look out of place. She obviously takes the lead role when she's on camera but it just ruins it for me when she needs to be Player One or if she has a feature that she wants to show off but someone else is playing. She did a couple of times this year but I remember it being really annoying last year when she kept interrupting just so she could try and get whoever was playing to show off Odyssey's Co-op mode. It was just annoying, and I know it's just her job but I can't stand it It makes me want to steal her job and teach her some subtle ways to change the topic of a conversation.

I felt a little sorry for Chiko! It's a little annoying after a while when you have to wait for the translation but it must be worse if you know both languages! I was entertained when she went straight to the developers, even if she might get told off afterwards...

Kimyonaakuma

link3710

@Kimyonaakuma In all fairness, a couple (of the many) Smash spots were actually interesting. I remember one where they played a long match with only new items, explaining details on them. Same with one on Assist Trophies, and one on Pokemon. Those were probably the only ones that held my interest. The rest of them though? Since they weren't allowed to show off what I assume must be such a huge portion of the game, it just got sooooo repetitive.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Kimyonaakuma well marketing people are all devil spawn in general (sorry thanos! ) Sam is a fantastic presenter, solo, but too control freak when handling others.

As for the 500 smash events that's the odd thing. They had lots of other games to showcase in that time, but they didn't. There's always repeat segments but never like that. Then for multiplatform instead of the 5 big aa rpgs, the shooter, the souls game coming they showed overcooked twice.... And squeezed everything in the direct to get more smash. I don't think it was all smash for lack of other things to show. I think they specifically wanted it to be all smash, and i can't fathom why. Fighter z was a big deal but it was buried... Probably because it competed with smash.

I suspect Chiko won't get told off on that one. noa might be annoyed but I'm sure ncl has her back

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

@NEStalgia "Marketing people are devil spawn".

Well excuuuuse me.

decends back to Hell

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

CanisWolfred

NEStalgia wrote:

@Spanjard ms had way more than shooty finally though it was biased toward it. It also had vespyria, kh3, dmc5, "samurai souls", ori.... Lots of variety.

Sony had mostly games about death plus Spidey and samurai (death).

Nintendo had smash anssomeotherstuffshownfast

Yeah, Sony's line-up was depressing in an unexpected way. Not that they were bad, but I didn't get a sense of energy the way some of the other conferences had, especially Ninty, who had the opposite problem - slow down! That looked cool, I wanna know more! No, not Smash, I wanna know about those other games! What? It's over already?!

Really, I didn't care for half the games Microsoft had shown, but at least it was varied, entertaining enough to watch, and had decent pacing. It didn't convince me to buy an Xbox One, but it did something else just as unexpected: It made me glad I watched their conference, and now I'm going to make sure I watch their showcase next year.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Henmii

@Dogorilla,

I don't think it will happen, that would need some serious downgrading. Not to mention that the community aspect may be removed altogether for that possible Switch release.

Doom is on Switch though, and Wolfenstein 2 is coming. So its not entirely impossible, but very unlikely all the same.

Henmii

Dogorilla

@Henmii Yep I agree, especially as it's an open world game which Doom and Wolfenstein are not. That said, Ark: Survival Evolved is coming to the Switch; I don't know much about that game or how graphically intensive it is, but it is open world. Of course we don't know how good the port will be yet, and I assume BG&E2 will be more graphically intensive, but I don't want to let go of this last sliver of hope just yet haha

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Not offended at all, since I'm not one of those "in general" people. I'm the exception...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.