Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 2,597

FishyS

antdickens wrote:

@Rambler yeah, I was thinking maybe 50 (posts/comments) across the site(s) and a member for more than 30 days or something as a starting point. I don't think that is too much to ask.

I think something like that should be enough to stop spammers. In some sense we shouldn't care too much if a non-professional review is perfect; for games with a professional NintendoLife review and/or at least 3 user scores it will just be an alternative opinion and for games with no other reviews it will at least be some type of information.

I would say the worst 'danger' is if e.g. a game dev writes a totally inaccurate glowing review of their own game. To partially defend against that I might suggest some way to rate either individual reviews or reviewers and have that information be visible on the review. e.g. if someone has 80 review points, 80 people have said that person makes useful reviews so are maybe trustworthy or if on an individual review maybe put a button to agree or disagree with the accuracy of the review.

The majority of NintendoLife users presumably would still only click on actual articles rather than scanning through a game page and clicking the player-review button or whatever so in some sense this would be for a minority of 'super-users' who hopefully would know what they're getting into; as long as it is sufficiently segregated from official content, I don't think the bar has to be extremely high.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Eel

Maybe there could be some sort of hidden exp system that combines time, participation, and agreeability (hearts on comments), and at a certain threshold it unlocks the feature.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

@Fizza @FishyS @Rambler @antdickens
I like these ideas. I really do. Just wanted to say that.

There's so much untapped value in user opinions here. Like, the aggregate experience of members on the site covers a staggering number of games played. And not just games that perhaps went under the radar for official reviews, but it's good to get a broader sample of opinions on games too.

Sometimes I'll read Ralizah going off on a 6 paragraph mini-review on some random thread and think, "wouldn't it be nice if stuff like this was consolidated in one easy to find location on the site?" A dedicated section could potentially also bring a lot of lower quality posts. Not spam or troll posts, just... not very informative or well thought out.

Is there any possible way to integrate reader feedback loop that promotes higher quality user-reviews and/or reviewers? Idk, a like/dislike or even just how many heart likes it receives. Something to give the user an idea of what others feel is quality and worth reading.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tasuki

@JaxonH @Professor_Plumber The only problem with that is its not guaranteed that the good posts will be at the top. With a like/dislike system people can falsely create a bad article to to the top. The can have friends like their stuff and dislike others people's stuff so that way there's stay on top. They can create fake accounts and do the same thing. Not only that but who are we to say that one person's reviews are more thought out then someone else's? In the end I would feel it would create more work for the staff here.

If you want one place where a particular user's reviews are maybe try a blog site where they can organize it how they want and have them all in one place for everyone to access.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Fizza

Youtube/video links in general seem to be completely messed up right now, at least in the forums.

This is what I see when visiting the 'What are you listening to?' thread currently:
Untitled

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Fizza

@antdickens Yep, back to normal now. Thanks for the quick turnaround! 👍

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Ninfan

@antdickens hello, I asked you before but forgot, how do I know if a game release on switch has a physical release ?

Ninfan

antdickens

@Ninfan we don't currently track that information... as it's too complicated these days with re-releases and limited runs. The best thing to do is google it and see if it appears on Amazon or another retailer of choice. We do hope to update our game database in the future to make this information clearer... but I don't think even Nintendo track whether a game has a physical release or not at this point!

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

Is there any option to delete the locked threads ?
I felt embarrassed to see my locked threads.

Anti-Matter

FishyS

Anti-Matter wrote:

Is there any option to delete the locked threads ?
I felt embarrassed to see my locked threads.

I'm not sure which thread you mean, but a lot of locked threads have some useful discussion before they eventually get locked. I think threads which are clearly useless do in fact get deleted ( for example there was a spam thread advertising web site development or something yesterday).

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Eel

I think it would probably be a lot easier to simply give you a heads up that other people posted while you were writing your comment, so you can decide to change your post before sending it.

I’ve seen other forums do that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Kermit1doesmath

@antdickens would it be possible for an article filter (probably isn't the best word for this but it's the only one I can think of currently) feature could be added?

I think it would be a nice feature for people who just want to see Nintendo game news or merch, etc. Plus it would really help folks who have sensitivities to not see certain topics/articles.

This is not about a certain user btw, I just think this could be a handy feature.

dysgraphia awareness human

Bunkerneath

Hiya, not sure where to put this as its more a bug than an Idea for the site, but I have just got the Trilogy of Home:Postmortem Edition, Alone with You and Worse Than Death from Limited Run and I record all my games on here but I can't add Alone with You
https://www.nintendolife.com/games/switch-eshop/alone_with_you
It just says it is announced, guessing this is why I cant add it?

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Scooby-Doo

It seems that if you look at your games collection on Time Extension, it shows you your games collection from across all these sites. Bearing in mind that even though Time Extension is retro-focussed, it still shows games that are without a shadow of a doubt not retro, is there a reason it's not like this on all sites? I'm just curious, I just like to see all my games collected together.

Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!
Kelpies. Be they hound or horse? I'd rather smell wet dog than be drowned by a horse.
Currently Playing on Switch: Chaos Head Noah, PARANORMASIGHT, Mega Man Series.

antdickens

@Scooby-Doo thanks for bringing this up, to be honest it's something I just made "work" on Time Extension when we launched it but haven't thought about it since. I'm sure you aren't alone in wanting this network wide... therefore I've added a new option in the profile settings:

Games Collection:
Choose which games appear in your Games Collection on your user profile
Site Specific Games OR All Games

This setting is network wide, so set it to "All Games" and you'll get the full collection no matter which site you are looking at.

Hopefully that does what you wanted anyway!

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic