Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 601 to 620 of 782

WesCash

@FOREST_RANGER
Honestly, Animal Crossing: Wild World pretty much fits all of those requirements. There is a ton to do and it's just an enjoyable experience overall. There is plenty of content and you can never really "beat" it. It's the kind of game to play for half an hour or so every day. As a single player game it is great, but multiplayer expands it even more. There's certain items/characters/buildings that can only be unlocked through multiplayer. It shouldn't be a problem at all to find some people on NintendoLife (like myself) that have the game and would help out with stuff.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

moomoo

Gamesake wrote:

@FOREST_RANGER Pokemon would effectively satisfy most of your criteria.

I second that. Tons to do, pretty easy, has a solid pace. I recommend starting with Black and White or Heartgold/Soulsilver

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

ThePirateCaptain

@FOREST_RANGER
Definitely check out Solatorobo: Red the Hunter. It's an action RPG that's pretty easy and fun. The story and music are great and it's pretty cheap if you can find it, highly recommended.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

turtlelink

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Hi everyone! As a college student, I need to get a game to waste my time while I take breaks from studying.

This video game shall replace much of my free time currently used for surfing the internet. This is especially important because I am a sucker for internet discussions: I feel I'm using too much of my brain juice for these discussions when I should be using more of it for studying. Therefore, I want to really reduce my time on the internet, and use that free time to more video games. I'm not too satisfied with what I currently have (I don't have a DS game library at all and I only have 1 Steam game to fit my requirements).

My situation is similar to when someone comes from work, drain and exhausted. So what is better to do than...I don't know, watching junk food TV? Like an exhausted worker, I don't want to think too hard.

So, here is what this game will hopefully have:

• Easy to progress: I'm afraid I might get too compulsive with challenging games.
  • Easy on your brain: brain teasing puzzles will probably get me compulsive AND thinking too hard, so something easy on the brain would be nice
  • Mildly to moderately (mentally) stimulating: maybe an interesting narrative/story and catchy music
  • Long or high replayability
  • Friendly and relaxing: this will hopefully be the answer to my stress :3

I think RPGs mainly fit the bill here: quests, grinding and progression seem to be the common elements in their mechanics. Any other genre will be fine too. Oh, and Dragon Quest IX is out of the question because I already have it. And yes, maybe there isn't the perfect game that completely fits these attributes, but I would like something that's close.

So, can somebody recommend me any DS games? They don't have to match all of the given attributes, but I'm mainly concerned with a relaxing experience, not thinking too hard, and longevity. Thank you!

If you're into rhythm games, than a Rhythm Heaven is a must have. It's my current time waster. I love it!

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

moomoo

I don't recommend going for Fire Emblem. It is really taxing on the brain if you want to play it right, and most people want to save everyone while playing.
Rythem Heaven can be a very difficult game. It's not very relaxing; frankly, it can be a source of stress.
Solatorobo can be a solid recommedation, but make sure you know what you're getting into. The game's combat is rediculously simple, and it just can't be played for long periods of time. It just gets tedious. Look at some reviews beforehand.

How about Locke's Quest? I didn't find it too difficult, and it's definitely a long game. Maybe that would work?

Best thread ever

KarrotMan

For RPG's I'd say:
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - aka srpg made for the little crowd, Has some decent customization for individual units, around 300 quests in total and it is relatively simple as far as srpg's go.
Bowser's Inside Story - Nothing speaks Crowd pleasing RPG than the Mario&Luigi RPG series. The Reflex mixed turn-based battle system is a breath of fresh air with minigames thrown in for diversions.
Custom Robo Arena - Story is a 40 hour crap-fest, but the Real timed battles and robot customizations themselves more than make up for it. Think of it as a low budget Medabot anime series.

If I were you, I'd be playing the Kirby games since they Fit your description. I'd recommend Super Stars Ultra which is the best of the bunch.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

SirSmugleaf

turtlelink wrote:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Hi everyone! As a college student, I need to get a game to waste my time while I take breaks from studying.

This video game shall replace much of my free time currently used for surfing the internet. This is especially important because I am a sucker for internet discussions: I feel I'm using too much of my brain juice for these discussions when I should be using more of it for studying. Therefore, I want to really reduce my time on the internet, and use that free time to more video games. I'm not too satisfied with what I currently have (I don't have a DS game library at all and I only have 1 Steam game to fit my requirements).

My situation is similar to when someone comes from work, drain and exhausted. So what is better to do than...I don't know, watching junk food TV? Like an exhausted worker, I don't want to think too hard.

So, here is what this game will hopefully have:

• Easy to progress: I'm afraid I might get too compulsive with challenging games.
  • Easy on your brain: brain teasing puzzles will probably get me compulsive AND thinking too hard, so something easy on the brain would be nice
  • Mildly to moderately (mentally) stimulating: maybe an interesting narrative/story and catchy music
  • Long or high replayability
  • Friendly and relaxing: this will hopefully be the answer to my stress :3

I think RPGs mainly fit the bill here: quests, grinding and progression seem to be the common elements in their mechanics. Any other genre will be fine too. Oh, and Dragon Quest IX is out of the question because I already have it. And yes, maybe there isn't the perfect game that completely fits these attributes, but I would like something that's close.

So, can somebody recommend me any DS games? They don't have to match all of the given attributes, but I'm mainly concerned with a relaxing experience, not thinking too hard, and longevity. Thank you!

If you're into rhythm games, than a Rhythm Heaven is a must have. It's my current time waster. I love it!

Totally agree! rhythm Heaven is close to my favourite DS game EVER!!!!! Seriously, get it!

Currently playing: Rhythm Heaven, Minecraft (XBLA), Pokemon B/W 2, Halo 4, The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave, Fallblox, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)

Will be playing soon: Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Cave Story +, Wii U: NSMBU, Nintendo Land, (And lots more!)

FOREST_RANGER

So far, here are the games I have in prioritized consideration:

• Animal Crossing- this game will probably cheer me up from exhaustion, and meeting the critters sounds like fun.
  • Super Robot Taisen...- it sounds decent and ready to consume my time, but I'm a bit weary of the boob jokes
  • Pokemon B/W

The rest except Locke's Quest are in my maybe-list. Solatorobo may be short, but that might be to my advantage by reducing my break time. Bowser's Inside Story looks like a very fun game that warrants an extended playtime beyond break. I fear Partners in Time isn't easy to find. I looked up the trailer for Lock's Quest, and it looks too engaging.

I have Rhythm Heaven. It won't take much of my time, since I already got a perfect on all the games and played all the other mini-games for a while D:

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

moomoo

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

• Animal Crossing- this game will probably cheer me up from exhaustion, and meeting the critters sounds like fun.
  • Super Robot Taisen...- it sounds decent and ready to consume my time, but I'm a bit weary of the boob jokes
  • Pokemon B/W

The boob jokes in SRT are pretty regular and rediculous. The localization team definitely had fun making the English script for the game. I don't think any were obscene, but there's a lot of them. It's down-right silly. I personally loved it, although it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Pokemon B/W is the bestter game RPG-wise in pretty much every department outside of story, diologue and price, but SRT is something that's unlike anything that came to the West. Animal Crossing is a pretty good choice too, as it fits all of your criteria with flying colors.

If you're willing to take a risk, I'd say go for SRT. Pokemon and Animal Crossing are safe bets that will satisfy you, on the other hand.

Best thread ever

RabidPikachu

Is there anyone who thinks Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is good? I'm too lazy to see if anyone has recomended but if not I'd say it's a pretty fun Sonic RPG considering it's Canadian and not Japanese made and even though most of Bioware's games are either too sloppy or not enough story/gameplay balance, this one is actually fun.

3DS Friend code 4425-2142-6328

CanisWolfred

^I've been meaning to play that game. I see it a lot at Jay St. Maybe I'll pick it up there if the price is reasonable (which it usually is there).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Spanish_Bread

Hello there, i'm new to the DS scene, but I have 3DS since last year... i don't know much from DS library as i'm more familiar with PSP library... may i just ask some help/recommendation/suggestions for some great DS games (with my preferences on types of game)... i might look up for it in some online shop and buy it as "pre-owned" to save me some money...

my preferences on types of games:

*pick-up-and-play, something that can become frantic for long plays like tetris but i already have tetris axis in 3DS... something that is arcadey type with few highscore records... i'm thinking of something that is warioware, i have the ambassador game GBA wario minigames and i love it, are there similar titles like this in DS???

*challenging, as in really challenging platforming games... something like rockman series... as hard as Fractured Soul (eshop)... i'm already thinking of contra 4 (is it great?), which also has 2 old games (nes contra & snes contra correct me if i'm wrong) integrated into the cartridge (i read from a review)... any similar to this kind of games or better than these games??? by the way, i already have NSMB 1, and it's fun to play even just those minigames, but not the challenging difficulty that i'm looking for...

*challenging rhythm games with full music track... much like Theaterhythm (3DS) over Rhythm Thief (3DS)... i think i like the Taiko no Tatsujin 3DS, i've seen some gameplay in youtube and it's pretty challenging but its only in japan, were there any taiko drums series in DS before? is it good? or any better similar type of game?

*and i don't prefer rpg games or strategy turn-based game or something that has heavy storyline... i can tell you why but i think it's not necessary... , if you know some DS games that have a good replayability... a lot of game modes, smart and challenging AIs, something that even if finishing the campaign/story mode, there are still lot of things to do....i;m actually eyeing for metroid prime hunters, i enjoyed kid icarus 3DS so much, so i'm thinking if i may also enjoy playing the metroid prime hunters....

*i also don't like puzzle games, tetris was just an exception...

sorry for wall of text, but i wish that you can help me, thanks!

Spanish_Bread

Gamesake

Spanish_Bread wrote:

Hello there, may i just ask some help/recommendation/suggestions for some great DS games (with my preferences on types of game)...

No problem, the DS has an extensive library so-

i don't prefer rpg games or strategy turn-based game or something that has heavy storyline...

*i also don't like puzzle games,

This is going to be a lot harder than I thought...

Mega Man Zero Collection would be my recommendation. Also nothing wrong with some Metal Slug 7 or maybe even Commando Steel Disaster--they've released an eShop version of that game too with what Nintendo Power called a 'more sane difficulty'. Contra 4 might give you that Fractured Soul fix since you'll need to actively watch both screens--I played it but I can't tell if it has the difficulty you're looking for.

I think you'll ultimately find more of what you want on the 3DS and eShop. For example I would pass on DS Castlevania (I'm not a fan) in lieu of the upcoming Lords of Shadow-Mirror of Fate.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

Spanish_Bread

Mega Man Zero Collection would be my recommendation. Also nothing wrong with some Metal Slug 7 or maybe even Commando Steel Disaster--they've released an eShop version of that game too with what Nintendo Power called a 'more sane difficulty'. Contra 4 might give you that Fractured Soul fix since you'll need to actively watch both screens--I played it but I can't tell if it has the difficulty you're looking for.

I think you'll ultimately find more of what you want on the 3DS and eShop. For example I would pass on DS Castlevania (I'm not a fan) in lieu of the upcoming Lords of Shadow-Mirror of Fate.

wow! thanks for those suggestions, i just watched some gameplays of the titles you mentioned, and i'm sure i'm gonna buy the zero collection! and yes i forgot the metal slug series, i loved playing the metal slug anthology in psp so i think i'll also enjoy the metal slug in ds... the commando steel disaster seems really a metal slug clone, but anyway, if i can find a bargain i might buy it... i think i'll also get contra 4 not just solely because of contra 4 but because of the package of contra NES and super contra, i don't have nes so might as well get it from the DS game package...

i see lot of good ratings for castlevania titles in DS, but i've only played a few castlevania titles: the symphony of the night and rondo of blood so i don't know what to expect... but since there's the mirror of fate, might as well just wait for it... in fact, i don't want to buy same franchise in the same handheld gaming console... if i just knew that NSMB2 is coming, i shouldn't bought NSMB1 XD

anyway big thanks for your time in answering my question, really appreciate it

i hope you don't mind asking again a simple question, is there a quick way of checking if the DS cartridge is original or class A(imitations)? or even in their packaging??? i'm afraid i might bought a pre-owned class A DS cartridge...

Spanish_Bread

KarrotMan

Spanish_Bread wrote:

i see lot of good ratings for castlevania titles in DS, but i've only played a few castlevania titles: the symphony of the night and rondo of blood so i don't know what to expect... but since there's the mirror of fate, might as well just wait for it... in fact, i don't want to buy same franchise in the same handheld gaming console... if i just knew that NSMB2 is coming, i shouldn't bought NSMB1 XD

I wouldn't pass the DS castlevanias just yet, especially with Mirrors of fate getting not so hot impressions. They are the best DS action platformers after Megaman Zero and Contra 4. If you had to choose one though to tide you over for MoF, Order of Ecclesia is the best out of the three DS games and it has the most satisfying Difficulty of all recent CVs. I even think its superior compared to SotN and AoS. Plus the lead Character, Shanoa is one Black magic lady.

EDIT: Just to add a few games...
Rhythm Heaven Is definitely one of the DS' best rhythm game stock full of charm and catchy music. You play the ds on its side and all you need to do is either tap or flick to the rhythm. Since you loved Warioware, you will love this since it is from the same creator not to mention the other unlockable trinkets you earn from getting medals from the stages.

You like games with a pick up and play nature and with decent challenge right, how about Nanostray 2 or Geometry wars? They are two of the DS' best Shmups IMO. Perfect for arcade style play sessions on the go.

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

moomoo

@Spanish_Bread Seeing as how you have a 3DS, you'd probably love Cave Story. It's a platformer with some pretty big challenges, and in a lots of areas people consider it to be one of the best games ever made. Get the eShop version though, since it has the most content.
Another game you might like is Henry Hatsworth. It's a platformer combined with a puzzle game, and it works really well. It's also crazy hard. The puzzle elements are about as basic as can be, but you will have to do some stuff there constantly. Maybe look at some reviews?
Bangai-O is a crazy hard shooter with a pick up and play nature. I had a lot of fun with it. It has quite a few levels and its own level editor as well.
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword is one of those DS games that I really liked. Think Ninja Gaiden on XBOX, but only using the touch screen, and it somehow works. It's not quite as hard, but there's definitely some challenge in it, and it's a very good game.
And yeah, Zero Collection, Contra 4, and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia are all awesome games with brutal difficulties. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

As for the class A DS cartridge thing, I've never heard of that before. I can't help you there.

Best thread ever

Spanish_Bread

@Onikato - I'm having a hard time looking for rhythm heaven gameplay videos in youtube as i'm always getting search queries from rhythm heaven fever which i think is a Wii game... but luckily i found few videos, and yes i'm totally sold! it looks like a rhythm thief (without story) meets warioware! and it has endless mode for each rhythm type right? well that's a plus for me! i'm always trying to beat my record while playing some warioware in GBA... also, i found the elite beat agents a challenging rhythm game... much like a theaterhythm (3DS game) - EMS mode - much more intense than Ultimate difficulty...
As for shmup, nanostray2 pick more of my interest (saw this one guy doing hard difficulty in stage 1 and it's pretty challenging!!)... i haven't seen much gameplay videos of geometry wars with decent difficulty, but i might try it if i find very cheap copy of the game...
And thanks for suggesting Order of Ecclesia, will watch some of video gameplays and will read reviews tomorrow...sometimes it's intimidating to choose just a single game (due to budget constraints) from a series(like CV games for DS) and all of those series got great reviews lol... i'm actually aware of MoF not getting that much great impressions, some were even mentioning IGA (which i think is a great creator of CV series) wasn't part of it so which means it's not a great CV game... but anyway still looking forward for MoF, hopefully it will be a decent game for 3DS when it release.

@Moo-Moo - thanks for your suggestions!
Bangai-O, is that a japanese game? or it has an american release counterpart? anyway we'll look into that tomorrow for some videos and reviews...
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword - i assume that's ninja gaiden meets phantom hourglass?? just kidding XD... but the "stylus only" gameplay is intriguing
Henry Hatsworth - i have no idea what to expect with the name of that title, not really familiar... but will look into it also tomorrow thanks for giving some brief description!
as for the Cave Story... one thing that hinders me in buying it is as far as i know it can be played in PC for free... so i don't know XD... i'm actually waiting for some megaman (NES) in eshop and my 3ds prepaid card is already reserved for those megaman goodness XD... but thanks for suggesting, i wish it will be on sale some other time..

class A are similar to fakes and counterfeit copies... while searching for videos in youtube, i tried searching for fake copies and i saw this guy making comparisons... he said original DS games have white letters on the gold pin while the fake ones doesn't have... i just checked my 2 DS games and i'm glad they are both original

Edited on by Spanish_Bread

Spanish_Bread

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic