Welcome, one and all, to the Nintendo Life Video Game Music Festival — or VGM Fest, if you like — a 'season' of music-based features, interviews, retrospectives, and more.
As you might expect, we're all lovers of game audio here at Nintendo Life, from retro-flavoured chiptunes to sweeping orchestral scores; from the old-school 'bips' and 'beeps' of sport and cosmic combat to chilling tunes that still have the power to induce blind panic; from twee ditties to earworms that had us spending far too much time perusing digital stores. We'll be celebrating all that and much more over the coming days and weeks in a Proms-style summer celebration of the aural delights of gaming.
We'll be publishing daily interviews with composers — ranging from a series of short, sharp Q&As to in-depth discussions on their catalogues and careers — plus looking at specific music-based games from Nintendo platforms past, speaking to people who have remixed and reimagined treasured gaming tunes, revisiting classic series, hearing staff favourites and playlists, and plenty more.
Here's a list of all the articles published so far — we'll update this list over the coming days and weeks:
- Feature: Tee Lopes Talks Sonic, Streets Of Rage, And Making Music On A PS1
- Feature: Minecraft And Celeste Composer On Nintendo Influences And Writing For The Biggest Game In The World
- Feature: How Fire Tonight Took A Decades-Old Synth-Pop Song, And Made A Game Out Of It
- Feature: Mega Man, Shovel Knight, And Save Me Mr Tako Composers On Getting 'That' Retro Sound
- Feature: Video Game Orchestra Founder Talks Live Music And Composing For Final Fantasy
- Feature: The Garden Path's Solo Dev On Hollow Knight And Final Fantasy Influences
- Feature: The Secrets Of Sounds, And The Joy Of Door Noises - An Interview With Celeste's Audio Designer
- Feature: Sayonara Wild Hearts Composer On Creating The First 'Pop Album Video Game'
- Feature: 'Bossa De Hyrule' Reimagines Zelda Music With Laidback Brazilian Beats
- Feature: "Metal Comes From Hell, Everyone Knows This" - Darren Korb Talks Loki, Lavtas, And Led Zeppelin
- Feature: Banjo And Final Fantasy On The Radio? VGM On Classic FM Was Only The Beginning
Quick Beats' Interviews
- Quick Beats: 'Journey' And 'Abzu' Composer On Star Wars, Neil Young And Podcasts
- Quick Beats: Streets Of Rage Composer On Musical Heroes And The Series He'd Love To Work On
- Quick Beats: Hades Composer Talks Weird Al, The Beatles, And Radiohead
- Quick Beats: Shovel Knight Composer On Q*Bert, The Prodigy, And Magical Bongos
- Quick Beats: Celeste Composer Lena Raine On Her Love For Ghibli, Hurdy-Gurdies, And Her Cat
- Quick Beats: Mega Man Composer Manami Matsumae On Ocarinas And Bohemian Rhapsody
- Quick Beats: Final Fantasy And Vagrant Story Composer Hitoshi Sakimoto Talks YMO And Dua Lipa
- Quick Beats: Final Fantasy Composer And VGO Founder On Road Trip Music, Rock, And The '80s
- Quick Beats: The Composer And Solo Dev Of 'The Garden Path' Talks Arcade Fire And Young Thug
- Quick Beats: Donkey Kong Country Composer Talks Aquatic Ambiance And Get Lucky
- Quick Beats: Mega Man Composer And Inti Creates Founder Talks Backdraft And Bongos
- Quick Beats: Sonic Mania Composer On Portuguese Rap And His Musical Hero
- Quick Beats: Save Me Mr Tako! Composer Talks Flyrule, Ravel And Star Wars D6
- Quick Beats: Pulstar, Mega Man, And Final Fight Composer Talks Joe Hisaishi And The Beatles
- Feature: Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix, Or That Time Mario Got Movin’ To Mozart
- Soapbox: Chiptune Is Great, But The Impact Of A Full Orchestra Is Unbeatable
- Talking Point: Which Video Game Song Could You Listen To For Ten Hours?
- Soapbox: Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Was The Basis For My Taste In Music
- Soapbox: Music Just Don't Come Spookier And Sadder Than Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Back Page: Ranking Every Version Of Fairy Fountain From The Legend Of Zelda
- Talking Point: It's A Golden Era For Video Game Music Fans, So How Do You Listen?
- Talking Point: What's The Best Sound In Video Games?
- Talking Point: Which Nintendo Console Has The Best Start-Up Sound?
- Soapbox: The Era Of Rock Band, Guitar Hero And Plastic Instruments Was Silly But Special
Staff Pick Playlists:
- Chill Music From Video Games - Relaxing Playlist
- Funky Video Game Music - Groovy Playlist
- Best Mario Music Ever: Our Top 10 Mario Songs - Super Mario Playlist
Without wanting to spoil too many surprises, you can look forward to hearing from such luminary composers as Darren Korb (Hades), Manami Matsumae (Mega Man), Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage), Grant Kirkhope (Banjo-Kazooie), Lena Raine (Celeste), and Jake Kaufman (Shovel Knight). Look out for these names and many more, starting later today with a composer who's recently got to work on some of our very favourite gaming franchises ever. Keep an eye out — or ear open!
Let us know below your favourite game series, composers and musical moments below — you never know, we might cover them! Otherwise, grab your headphones and welcome to the Nintendo Life VGM Fest.