Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 8,581 to 8,600 of 11,914

Zuljaras

@DarkRula I made the system update and now my BC games work again in offline mode. But still this is a joke.

Your assumption is probably right. They somehow check for updates even if the console is set to offline mode and this crap is making my BC games unplayable.

Dezzy

Lol well I thought I was getting Gears 5 for christmas from my parents, but they didn't bother to check the package that was delivered ahead of time, and so didn't know that we got sent the wrong thing.

So I look forward to play 2-player co-op on the Batman Lego movie Bluray.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

DarkRula

@Grumblevolcano Oh, crud. I remember that. I used to use it when playing GTA or Forza to have music playing on Groove, and the inability to just have it as a background app was insufferable. I soon gave up ever playing music using it, and instead just used my laptop instead.

@Zuljaras Least the Series X will probably correct that oversight.

@Dezzy Ah, no. That needs to be took up with whoever it was ordered from. Otherwise that's one expensive Blu-Ray movie.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

JoakimZ

Doesn’t everybody have wifi at home these days? Why ever have the console offline in the first place?

Edited on by JoakimZ

JoakimZ

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0335-6096 | Nintendo Network ID: JoakimZ

Ralizah

@JoakimZ People living in rural areas of the US, at least, often have extremely limited access to high speed internet. I imagine the same is true of people living in other countries with an underdeveloped infrastructure as well.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

redd214

@JoakimZ no silly, my home wifi is just for getting online to complain on forums, not for my console

redd214

Anti-Matter

@JoakimZ
Offline gaming is the best.
We can play it straightly without internet connection.
That's called versatility and simplicity.

Anti-Matter

Justifier

But I still believe that most people have their consoles connected to internet all the time.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

JoakimZ

@Zuljaras Why do you think it’s more convenient and safe to not have your console online?

@Ralizah But you don’t need high speed internet to have a home wifi network, right?

@Anti-Matter I really don’t get your point (as usual). How is not having your console connected to the internet more versatile? How does the games play better and more ”straightly” if the console is offline?

@redd214 Aaah, yes of course, i clearly wasn’t thinking straight

@Justifier I think so too, there just aren’t any good reasons not to.

JoakimZ

Zuljaras

@JoakimZ Because you are depending on a internet connection for single player games.

The other consoles do not require it. It is just Microsoft that tried to make the One All-The-Time connected from the start but they saw the huge backlash and in the last moment they made a day one setup patch.

It was pathetic.

I have it for the wonderful hardware and the Backwards compatibility which they crew from time to time.

My PS4 and Switch does not have those problems and that is why I feel disappointed with such small bugs.

Also no Offline account creation (like everyone else AND Xbox 360) … why? Same reason as I stated above. The intend of Xbox One was to be always online console. At least they got some sales out of it after they removed it otherwise they would reached the numbers of the Wii U.

JoakimZ

@Zuljaras What I don’t get is; why is it a problem if you have internet at home? Why not have your consoles connected all the time?

JoakimZ

Zuljaras

@JoakimZ For example the Xbox One cloud saving system is really bizarre. Sometimes I have to delete my local saves and synch with the cloud to redownload them otherwise I will be stuck with older saves. I do not know why they do this but I do not like it.

Also as I said I do not want my consoles to be so dependent. If I want ALL digital gaming I have my PC and GOG account ready.

I prefer my consoles to be plug and play ready.

JoakimZ

@Ninfan That is a really hard question, there are so many amazing games!
Some favourites that immediately springs to mind are Fallout 4, Skyrim, Doom, Far Cry 5, Sunset Overdrive, Mega Man 11, Shovel Knight, Dishonored, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Forza Horizon 3.
I haven’t played Forza Horizon 4 yet, but that is supposed to be even better than 3 so I’m really looking forward to playing that!
Right now I’m playing Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey and I’m loving it, I’m a sucker for open world games with RPG elements.

JoakimZ

Anti-Matter

Ninfan wrote:

@JoakimZ what are the 10 best games on Xbox one

Why don't look for PS4 games that have more physical release for indie titles ?
Beside, Xbox One have almost same games library as PS4.
Also, you CANNOT play some titles that exclusively on PS4 & Switch but not available on Xbox One (Dragon Quest Builders 2, Chocobo Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy, Tokyo 2020, Little Dragon Cafe, etc)

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras I can understand that it's a bit of an annoyance to have to be online, even if you don't really need to, but it's only sometimes, mostly when it concerns a system update. That this affects backwards compatibility features isn't really all that strange, seeing as the three layers that the hard- and software consist of, are completely intertwined, which is what makes it work so seamlessly and which is also what the initially incorporated snap feature was for: seamless switching between game, media and system modes.

So, if the system needs an update, then EVERY part of it will be incorporated, so that will obviously include the OG Xbox and Xbox 360 emulator bundles (the updated versions of the games that are compatible with Xbox One consist of a bundle that contains the game and a standalone emulator, but is obviously controlled by the overarching operating system, that it all runs on, hence them being incapacitated when the system needs an update).

As for the cloud saves (and the sharing of them) on backwards compatible games: that is mostly a feature offered to cater to existing Xbox users, who've already played or started playing these games on the original machines, and can then share these old saves with the Xbox One, but you definitely don't need them on Xbox One. You can just play the games all over again, or for the first time, if you never owned a previous model Xbox. Would also be kind of weird if you couldn't, and the Xbox One was your first Microsoft console, in which case you'd obviously don't have any old saves to use...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Banjo-

JoakimZ wrote:

@Anti-Matter I really don’t get your point (as usual). How is not having your console connected to the internet more versatile? How does the games play better and more ”straightly” if the console is offline?

Ha ha That was funny

On topic, now I have unlimited internet connection in the both places I usually live, not super fast but good enough. It's true that current generation games need a lot of updates but I just play any other game while the other ones are updating and I feel positive about it, some games are vastly improved at no extra cost with generous content added, at least on Xbox One: Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Master Chief Collection, etc., not to mention the free remasters on Xbox One X. Actually, the worst game in this regard is a PS4/Windows game, Street Fighter V, because each update basically requires the whole game to be downloaded again and they really don't add free extra content except for the Arcade Edition update (one of a hundred updates), while Sea of Thieves, another Unreal Engine game, just updates part of the game except for the Anniversary update (one of a hundred updates).

It hasn't been always like this and sometimes I had a capped connection here or there and I had to be careful but the speed of my connection (20Mbps) has never been a problem for me this generation. When I had a capped connection I used offline mode and the console never downloaded nor required the updates. If I switched it back to online mode because I wanted to play online, it would start downloading updates again and I had to pause all the downloads but the console wouldn't let me play the games with pending updates and to cancel the update caused the game to be erased (Gears 5). So, in my opinion, Xbox One would benefit from an option to "online mode without downloading updates" (except for online games like Sea of Thieves or Fortnite or online modes like multiplayer modes) which makes a lot of sense for capped connections. However, like @DarkRula said, I'm sure that the next Xbox will make sure that those weird default connections to the internet aren't an issue anymore. I've realised that it's more important a connection with a decent ping and uncapped or very generous cap than a fast connection.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think that that options exists, there is an option that says "Keep my games and applications up to date" so you @Zuljaras would only need to deactivate it. Game wouldn't update unless launched while being online.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Banjo-

Ninfan wrote:

@JoakimZ what are the [10] best games on Xbox one

Alphabetically:

Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey (although I like some of the older ones as well)
Crash Bandicoot N.sane Trilogy
Crash Team Racing (I have the Switch and Xbox version and the difference is huge, like a generational leap, no joke)
Doom
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
Fortnite
Forza Horizon 3 and 4
Gears 1-5
Halo Master Chief Collection and Halo 5
Killer Instinct Definitive Edition
Ori and the Blind Forest and the unreleased Ori and the Will of Wisps
Quantum Break
Rare Replay (probably the best compilation ever)
Rayman Legends
Redout
Resident Evil 0, 1 Remake, 2 Remake, 3 Remake (unreleased but...), Code Veronica (360), 4, Revelations (chronologically here), 5, Revelations 2 (chronologically here), 6 and 7 Gold Edition.
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sea of Thieves
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Sunset Overdrive
Super Lucky's Tale
Team Sonic Racing
The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2
The Witcher 3
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (and the 360 games are pretty good, too).
Unravel and Unravel Two

And all the games I forgot and the good 360 and original Xbox games.

Banjo-

Eel

We need to work on our counting skills.

On the subject of consoles being always online, unless it’s something like a handheld that comes with an easy airplane mode, once you connect your home console to WiFi, or a wired connection, there’s no point in messing with the settings to turn them on and off.

Though of course I do believe games that have single player modes should be functional in the case you lose your internet connection.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic