Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 12,141 to 12,160 of 12,162

BruceCM

& saying 'console launch ....' instead of just 'console' isn't clear??? Games that are coming to one of the 2 consoles & to PC are simply called console exclusives!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Guest88

@Dezzy this comment from Spencer came after the backlash. Part of the backlash was because they fumbled with messaging with timed exclusive stuff.

Guest88

Dezzy

@Guest88

Ok, but my only point was that people did know ahead of time that it was timed exclusive. I remember knowing that!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BruceCM

I guess you'd really rather get it for PS4/5? Since it wouldn't make any difference if you're getting the XBox version anyway .....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy There was backlash both before and after the timed exclusive announcement. Before was because it was exclusive to Xbox (Tomb Raider is more of a Playstation franchise, PS4 exclusivity would've been praised) and after was backlash from the Xbox community because Xbox had very few true exclusives.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

BruceCM wrote:

I guess you'd really rather get it for PS4/5? Since it wouldn't make any difference if you're getting the XBox version anyway .....

Well it makes a difference in terms of the relative value of the console. The more full exclusives the Xbox has, the more its worth as a console, and the more people will inevitably buy it.

Whereas if loads of their exclusives are just 1 year timed exclusives, I'm really not sure how many extra consoles that would sell.

We don't really know yet if Xbox are trying to compete with Sony in terms of total console sales, or if they're just trying to maximize gamepass revenue whilst accepting 2nd place on the hardware front. Could be either!

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Dezzy There was backlash both before and after the timed exclusive announcement.

Lol it's the internet. If you say "Good morning" on twitter, you get a backlash from all of the people who aren't having a good morning.

Edited on by Dezzy

BruceCM

Well, most of Sony's 'exclusives' are only timed ones, too, @Dezzy ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@BruceCM

Yeah but they have a lot more momentum at this moment in time, mostly coming from the last gen, and all of the evidence so far suggests people's buying habits pretty much carry over into the new generation until something new happens to change that. So timed exclusives won't hurt Sony as much, relative to Microsoft at this point.

BruceCM

Well, I won't be getting a PS5 precisely due to it's lack of actual exclusives, @Dezzy .... So, it's certainly something I'm glad of! Not so concerned about the XBox side, since almost everything they're getting is also coming to PC, which is where I want it If XBox are concerned about their 'lack' of exclusives, they seem to be able to buy up studios!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@BruceCM

Yeah I just wish they'd bought more studios at a time where their next releases would line up with the start of the generation. Most of their major new acquisitions won't have their first big game for about 2 years from now.

Xbox should've been starting this gen like Nintendo did. With their biggest games from day 1. That sells consoles!

GilbertXI

@Dezzy They most likely did that on purpose so they could cover up the usual beginning of new generation drought with mind-blowing hype.

...and it sure is working on me.

GilbertXI

Dezzy

@GilbertXI

Lol I'm pretty sure just releasing stuff now would cover it up a bit better!

BruceCM

Yeah but that'll mean they aren't trying to run on both the last & current gen, @Dezzy .... That should help some of the games a bit, at least

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@BruceCM

Yeah I guess! Although to be honest, if the only problem with Halo Infinite was the graphics, I would've probably voted for them to just release it as it was. It looked totally fine to me.
They obviously wanted it to be this great flagship game for the console though, so they need it to be a graphical showcase.

BruceCM

Yeah, @Dezzy .... It usually takes awhile before games take full advantage of any console, too! Then, I'd have to agree that they need a better variety of exclusives, at least in terms of the big games Sure, if you count everything by all the XBox Studios, there's quite a lot & I'm happy enough with those. But for big stuff, if you don't happen to be a fan of Halo, Gears or Forza, there hasn't been much
We'll have to see what does get announced over the next few years but there should be a better variety of big exclusives (obviously, all their stuff comes to PC, too, though)

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

Finally got round to playing the base campaign for Gears 5!

Excellent game overall. Easily one of the best xbox exclusives from last gen. Maybe only Forza Horizon 4 would be better in my opinion. (unless you count Halo MCC as an exclusive, in which case that's easily the best of the lot)

The major positives were the solid gunplay, interesting story, awesome environment design, and WAY better writing and dialogue than Gears 4. Also I really appreciate a shooter being 60fps.

The only real negatives were that I saw the major story twist (about Kait) from a mile off. Also, whilst the huge environments were really impressive from a technical perspective, and created an awesome spectacle, they never really felt in tune with the gameplay and story. They felt more like having huge environments just for the sake of it.

Magonigal

@Dezzy
Have you also played the expansion HiveBusters? That's a great add-on, only lasts about 3 hours but it's very fun

Magonigal

Dezzy

@Magonigal

Yeah, it was fairly good. Although I didn't really get why they made a short standalone campaign like that. It feels like they should've either done something that adds to the base game, or just created a new spinoff game instead.
I personally prefer DLC that adds to the main game. Gears 5 would've been such a good candidate for that as well, with the massive open areas.

Magonigal

@Dezzy

It's the characters from the Hivebusters multiplayer mode to introuduce them and maybe get you to try the multiplayer mode. I didn't really realise until i'd finished playing

Edited on by Magonigal

Magonigal

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic