Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 11,701 to 11,720 of 11,946

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I never get the death obsession anyway. Zombies, ghosts, vampires...why? Being alive is dangerous and exciting enough.

I still think marketing follows age and sex demographics. (They also create the fads that tie to said demos but still once it becomes part of culture it becomes a sales data point) but it was more generally targeted the way you described in the past. Targeting teen in the late 90’s usually meant males, and the commercials showed it. Part of why sony never hooked me on the PlayStation.

I do think with all the data collected that they are breaking down those demos to show reality vs perceived social norms (As they aren’t really normal so much as indoctrination) but it doesn’t quite show in marketing yet imo. Gaming stats show more females are gaming than ever but you don’t see marketing showing girls and women playing everything except in family based commercials ,because apparently everyone has one boy and one girl. Not taking a potshot but that makes me wonder what Chinese gaming commercials look like. Cuz of the impact of the old one child (and society hopes it is a male) thing.

It doesn’t follow popular culture the way I expected though. When the superhero boom hit its stride I expected way more games than what we have gotten so far. I’m not a batman fan so that puts me off arkham. But we have all these tv shows and movies...where is the wonder woman game or black lightning or xmen(comic based aside from MUA3 which was funny but not enough) games? We got some licensing stuff in the early fox movie era and some iron man and thor and that one cap game but if it isn’t lego it seems to not be worth making. I love them in fighting games but why not just make an adventure game? Granted adventure games feel like they have gone out of style. Either people are stapling rpg elements on to them or they just don’t show up multiplatform (I greatly enjoyed GoT and once my ssd shows up I will put a dent in spiderman).

I hate it but I think you are on to something about removing the nerd aspects. Not to be mean but i blame the military shooter and the sports sim. Nothing wrong with them existing but as the drowned out everything else and focused more on being realistic I feel like the gamey, fantastical aspects were dropped in gaming.

I remember all the talk about the gun play being improved in FO4 while “streamlining ” the role play. I mean bethesda fallout isn’t that immersive but don’t take more out. (I am aware this is a Todd Howard thing). Granted i don’t need games to be so over complicated like the old d &d bases games but do we have to run to either extreme?

I don’t know what a normie is. I figure a person of average intelligence, height and weight suffices. Because normie varies on perspective. In America I’m a minority but if I packed up and moved to Nigeria, I would find people that look mostly like me (or rather my mom, Cherokee on my dad’s side left me high yellow as the old insult used to go) which would make me a normie. Japanese devs mostly make their games for their own cultural norms but they are consumed all over the world. So I wouldn’t lean on so called normie culture. Also I’m done using that word, I haven’t heard it since a That’s so Raven ep and I find it hilarious that it is apparently a popular term now.

Edit: does anybody know if the series x will take an ssd and their expansion card? I want to have a drive for my old games but I know the in box 1TB will be gone in like 7 games for the new stuff.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I'd read something interesting a while back on what the various horror themes represent to people and tracing the dominant themes through their eras to the social concerns of the issue. I forget what all the themes were in terms of what social worries were dominant were most dominant, when vampires were most dominant, etc. The thing they had linked zombies to were a fear of mass assimilation/homogenization, and a fear of problems thought resolved returning over and over again. It makes sense, though, especially given the explanation in most "modern" zombie content, there's always a virus involved, most of the time, right? My own personal re-working of that dissertation is that most of the zombie content is really a fear of......pandemics.....and a latent sense that a big one is imminent and nothing can stop it....and after years of that general social fear, here we are, though this isn't quite "the big one" that the fear represents (and indeed most of the US and moreso the world is of the mind this isn't actually a problem at all...) Still, I've thought of that for a while with the zombie obsession, and thought of it doubly so at the start of the real pandemic. Though I was stunned TLoU2 actually launched and was successful in that context. And I don't know why people want to bask in that fear.... Just don't get it...

The marketing....it probably does tilt more adolescent male, but to a degree I think that's more about marketing being more influential to that demographic than other demographics that find out about this stuff via other channels. The games content itself is what feels "out of our demo" more times than not, the marketing I never even see (probably because I'm not an adolescent male....) If it's not at E3 I don't know it exists...

Honestly, I think the only reason for less comic book gaming has more to do with the licensing fees and Disney owning most of the rights to most of everything....and bulk licensing everything to one or two companies, than it does with lack of following trends. I don't mind, I'm not a comics fan, really. I bought Spidey not because I give a wink about Spidey but because Insomniac made it and they never disappoint with delivering fun.

But yeah, I'm not sure what came first, chicken or egg, or, rather, shooter/sports or mass market. The shooters and sports appealed to the mass market, and as the mass market moved into gaming, gaming moved ever more into the mass market as 4 billion non-nerds are worth more than 100 million nerds.... I think gaming is moving beyond "mass market casual shooter land" of the 360 era. But the new market is more "kinda like watching TV, but with inputs" rather than nerdy "figure out how interlocking systems work together, where they're broken, and exploit them to win" of the past. And the themes are all realistic all the time....the fantastical aspects, as you say, have really taken a back seat (though XBox is giving us Avowed and Fable, so oddly MS might be the "least brown shooty" console at this point.)

"Normie" is kind of tongue in cheek, but it's more personality/mainstream-ness rather than appearance. You may look fairly ordinary in Nigera but you'd be as non-normie as could be and the locals would be annoyed at the foreigner.... Not that a classic video game nerd is a "normie" anywhere other than L.A. in June.... But that's the point, the "normies" are....well...the tastes of everybody else who live fairly typical lives and thing fairly typical things, like fairly typical TV shows and fairly typical music, and think the world presented on the 6:00 news actually exists..... You know....normies.... As in the people who would definitely not be caught dead, or zombified, anywhere near L.A. in June.....

Yeah, any USB external drive or SSD will work for XB/360/X1 games. Not for XSX/Smart Delivery Series X|S Enhanced games. You can store all games on the USB drives. You can run BC games off USB drives. You can't run S|X games off the USB drives, including X1 games that get free enhancements for S|X features.

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia the Nigeria comment was about appearance, not that I’d be accepted as a person. I’m well aware of the divide that happens sometimes between African Americans, Africans and Blacks.

If the death themes show what is feared why is it popular? I wouldn’t wanna watch a white supremacy movie and those nutjobs are scary as heck. I fear getting lost in Utah... where is my movie?

Near LA in June?... oh. Um well. I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I consider myself normal that I am not looking at your point objectively enough. I just tend to be singled out for my skin color cuz America. I feel pretty average otherwise. (Man we finally got a Blasian in my Taiko group... I almost cried cuz I am getting sick of being the only honey brown skinned person in my hobbies). Also typical varies so much. I’ve lived in a few states now and I spend half the time in culture shock.

Yet even that cycles out as harry potter made magic popular, LOTR movies and orlando bloom (I think that is who I remember my friends screaming over) made fantasy popular and we are talking major sales, star wars people are pretty geeky but EVERYONE knows starwars. It’s not even popular to hate Star Wars (trust me I have been fussed out enough) as a whole. Depending on your age you can hate certain versions but you aren’t allowed to say it was all bad (it was).

I would say the games came first. Games like NBA Jam or goldeneye were real enough at the time to draw in non gamers and their dollars (and likely the cost of player likenesses) eventually made games that were arcade like like obsolete. As those numbers grew along with the social aspect of gaming that didn’t require local play the folks that buy systems to hang with friends or to play one or two games began to shape gaming. Following those trends results in a lot of the kneejerk overhauls of games. PoP:SoT to WW, ME1 to ME2, DA:O to DA:2. I don’t site Fallout as the change in devs prompted that.

Edit: didn’t know about the enhanced X1 limitation. Ok that changes things. Sheesh.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ralizah

@NEStalgia @Ryu_Niiyama After the lockdowns started, Contagion (likely the most scarily realistic pandemic movie to come out of Hollywood) exploded on iTunes, from what I recall. People often enjoy topical horror because it allows them to psychologically confront worst-case scenarios in a safe environment, and the call for that is larger than ever in a year that feels like it was ripped out of a thriller novel.

And, you know, maybe there's something to that, as research has apparently shown that people who are fans of horror, apocalyptic fiction, and so on seem to be more psychologically prepared to confront the issues posed by a global pandemic.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886920...

And yeah, horror themes can usually be traced back to wider social concerns, although that's hardly limited to horror. Go read old science-fiction and you'll notice the ways in which concerns about society at the time inform visions of the future, and so on. After 9/11, you saw an explosion of fiction related to espionage, terrorism, and the like. Fiction is just another tool humans use to make sense of the world around them.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Switch Lite: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

gcunit

I could be barking up the wrong tree/making this up entirely, but I have a sneaking suspicion that maybe zombies are more acceptable as the receivers of a shotgun blast in the face than another human in the eyes of the age rating boards i.e. a game with people on people gun-toting, hacking and slashing, blood & guts etc. would get an 18+ rating, but if you make the baddies zombies instead of people then you could be given a 15 rating...?

@Ryu_Niiyama What is GoT? I've seen you refer to it a couple of times recently and I'm stumped for what it's short for. Unless it's Game of Thrones (but contextually that doesn't seem quite right).

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@gcunit I don't think it's strictly about the age rating. Plenty of ''zombie'' games are rated 18/M, but it's socially more acceptable to murder a horde of zombies, than a bunch of people. There's a reason why GTA causes controversy every time a new one comes out. I also think that it's easier to developers to create characters that are vaguely human-like in animation. You can use the same model rigs, you can use mocap data, etc. Same applies to the movie industry, with good make-up, you can easily turn a person into a ''zombie'', without the need of expensive CGI. It's the same reason why a lot of alien creatures are human-like in Star Wars. Additionally, if a character resembles a human, it's easier to connect with it, but that also applies to zombies I guess. Maybe the concept of your fellow human beings turning onto you is more scary than a weird alien glob trying to eat you. And I guess with zombies there's also the concept that ''you turn into them if they get you'', which is a psychological rollercoaster in its own right. I think there are dozens of good reasons why they are featured so often.

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

@gcunit Sorry, Ghost of Tsushima. I don’t watch TV and I sometimes assume that everyone else follows all gaming enough to use the same acronyms that I do. I make the same mistake when talking about assassin’s creed around here. Yeah I didn’t enjoy the first game of thrones book at all so I would never say anything about that franchise.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano @Ryu_Niiyama Thanks - I'd like to think if this was the PlayStation thread I would have got that 😉, but I'm generally just on the periphery of the PlayStation world so in any other context and I'm not tuned in enough to think of that game. I don't have GoT yet, but will pick it up at some point.

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah I suppose that isn’t something that I do then or at least not with bad things. I grew up in a hurricane and tornado state so I tend to keep emergency supplies and cash. The pandemic didn’t even bother me until about the 4th month into the toilet paper crisis after my normal size stock ran out. I don’t know, I like fiction that simplifies human nature a bit. Where lines of good and evil are clearly drawn and people work together. I also tend to like fiction that presents a kinder view of the world. Fiction is my escape while I review history and current events to prepare me to deal with the world.

I think history and real life are daunting enough to prepare one psychologically for the worst in people although I will admit I have a very dim view of humanity overall from experience and family history. I also don’t see the point in making the one thing that is guaranteed in this world (death) look like anything other than a final end.

I’m not dismissing what you are saying as I find it fascinating that people use death narratives in such a way. Makes me wonder about their daily lives.

@Octane There is still the aspect of cost and human actors in visual media lending to restricting how non human beings look. As well as lending to an undertone of (hetero)sexuality to it as well. It’s like why all those aliens Kirk went after were just white women in grease paint (if that, usually it was some eartips or a wardrobe change) or why in the old horror scifi movies aliens that look monstrous were somehow sexually attracted to white women and needed to kidnap them. That always confused me because I expected that the aliens would find them ugly as there is no direct analog. I always liked groups like the Founders/changlings because their natural form was liquid and the had so much trouble mimicking bipeds (humans in particular) to really highlight how alien humans were to them.

Plus human imagination is a limiter as well. Most fantastic creatures mimic animals or humans that have a trait or two enhanced or corrupted. Look at the the eastern dragon which is a bunch of animals stapled together (face of a horse, beard of a goat, horns of a deer, talons of an eagle/falcon, body of a serpent, scales of a fish) or even the way angels were described in abrahamic traditions before the current concept of pretty people with a single pair of bird wings. (One reason why I like the designs in the Bayonetta series. I am an atheist but I love the imagination in literature and mythology...even as I acknowledge its limitations.) I’m not saying I could do better (otherwise I be an author) but I just think life forms that evolved on a different planet would be much different than we have considered.

I do see the homogeneity trope in fiction but I don’t think I understand it since I feel that in many ways it is held up as a positive in many societies. In many aspects of life people are viewed as a monolith for their own gain or that view is foisted upon others and wielded as a weapon against them. So I feel it is less a fear of being the same so much as a fear of being absorbed into a different perceived monolith than the one that one is originally from. Perhaps I think it makes no sense as we are all humans and the violence we inflict upon each other is due to our own creation/perception rather than actual differences.

On Topic: SSD is on the way. I figure I will start with my fighting games first. You know the important stuff.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama Well, I think one would actually need to look at research to say anything meaningful about commonalities between people who enjoy certain sorts of fiction, although, based on the global prevalence and enduring popularity of fiction that explores darker themes, I'm inclined to say it's something that transcends culture.

I do think it'd be fascinating to conduct research on the question of whether commonalities in perceived life/family experience informs the sort of media we tend to consume. There are a galaxy of specific hypotheses that would erupt from that.

In terms of death-related themes in particular, I think the inherent uncertainty of what comes after the death of the body (be it nothingness, hell, heaven, reincarnation, etc.) gives such themes a very universal power. It's probably also worth mentioning that most people seem to believe in some form of an afterlife, or at least don't subscribe to the purely physicalist view of death as the mere breaking down of biological machinery.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Switch Lite: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Grumblevolcano

MCC Series X/S enhancements announced!

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano That would probably sell me the Series X by itself if I hadn't bought the One X for the same reason 🤩

Edited on by gcunit

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama @gcunit It's a gaming site, everybody here does use the same acronyms. gc's just been out of the Playstation loop too long! It helps that I get all my gaming news from E3, and as soon as Sony dropped out of E3 I lost all contact of everything they were working on at all other than that "PS5" is a thing that will exist. The last two things they showed at E3 were Spiderman and GoT.....and that's the last two things I bought and the last two things I was interested in. Every. Other. Thing. was zombies....

Also, yeah I was talking personality, not appearance in terms of "normal." Any classic gaming nerd is simply not "normal." That's like saying fish can fly well.

"AC" is the tough one because there's two current series with the same AC acronym, and it's really weird talking about the removal of stealth mechanics as Animal Crossing has become more of a brawler RPG.

@Ralizah @Ryu_Niiyama I think that's an incomplete view on horror and why it works. I'd take it further and say it works that way for people that need to be faced with imagery and simulations with it in order to put themselves in a place of facing it....and even then are people that can remain emotionally detached from it. Cold, aloof people. Like Ralizah and Octane. I'm betting whether someone is empathic or not has a lot to do with their perception of horror and the "benefit" you describe of those who are into it. Someone that instantly, involuntarily puts themselves in any one elses shoes, real or fictional, game, film, book, or news story and can kind of experience their POV in their head....horror can't possibly have an up side. That doesn't explain haunted houses though where you physically encounter it. I'd either die of a heart attack in a haunted house or snap, go fight or flight, and start actually attacking the zombies....50/50. (We can apologize to Tyranexx who's done the zombie show thing in haunted houses for the fact I'd likely try to kill her later.....I won't tag her since she's not in the XB world )

I also think that works for people who need to see their "fears" in some manifestation like that to actually process them in any way. I'm continuously imagining, processing, and running scenarios in my head of every conceivable problem 24/7 on a non-stop loop. Can't help it. I need fiction to draw my attention away from that thinking so it doesn't consume me entirely rather than actually adding more to it!

@Ryu_Niiyama We'll have to have a contest or something to figure out which of us has a dimmer view of humanity. I don't think there's a clear cut winner there.... But yeah, I also wonder about the daily lives of the people into such things.

Regardless of it all, that's one thing that keeps Playstation in distant 3rd for me as far as 1st party goes. Nintendo has....Luigi's Mansion.....and....that's about it of the horror themes (I kid you not the first section of Luigi's Mansion 3 before you get the Poultergust was legit horror for me.... I won't go more horror than that Microsoft has State of Decay......and that's about all the horror they do. Sony - at least half their entire catalogue is just zombies. And half the third parties they highlight at the top is zombies. When I think PS right now, I think TLoU, Days Gone, RE, "PT/Silent Hill", and every time they have a new game I first have to research if it has zombies. GoT has the new addon with zombies. Uncharted 1 I rally cant stand it after you get to the monestary. Just all zombies, all the time! (I don't count FromSoft games and Nioh....it has "zombies" but it's not really the same context.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

Lol I’m glad I still have a regular one and no 4k tv. My eye is gonna melt whey I finally upgrade.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

MCC Series X/S enhancements announced!

Glad I bought it during the sale last week!

Aren't we still expecting another event in the next 10 days though? I'm sure they said there'd be another event to announce the various enhancements for current gen stuff?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy No, the quote was:

"We’ll be sharing even more details on every game being fully optimized this holiday for the launch of Xbox Series X|S later this month, as well as showing more gameplay from these titles, so stay tuned for more."

Which was revealed last week:

• Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Smart Delivery)
  • Borderlands 3 (Smart Delivery)
  • Bright Memory 1.0
  • Cuisine Royale (Smart Delivery)
  • Dead by Daylight (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
  • DIRT 5 (Smart Delivery)
  • Enlisted
  • Evergate
  • The Falconeer (Smart Delivery)
  • Fortnite
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • King Oddball (Smart Delivery)
  • Maneater (Smart Delivery)
  • Manifold Garden (Smart Delivery)
  • NBA 2K21
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Planet Coaster (Smart Delivery)
  • Sea of Thieves (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • The Touryst (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • War Thunder (Smart Delivery)
  • Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (Smart Delivery)
  • WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Smart Delivery)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Smart Delivery)
  • Yes, Your Grace (Smart Delivery)

MCC enhancements aren't at launch, it's on November 17th so that's why it wasn't in the original list.

That said, I think it's likely there'll be an event close to the Series X launch. We pretty much know nothing about after Gears Tactics apart from some Series X/S enhancements for XB1 games.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

Most of those were already known, which is why I'm assuming it was a different event. They had the announcement about the new enhancements to backcompat stuff on SeriesS/X, including the 60fps patch for some Xbox One games. So I was assuming we'd hear more about that. Like which Xbox One games are gonna get 60fps upgrades? But maybe that's something we hear about at some point over the next year instead.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia zipper does seem ready to beat you down if you touch his costume. From Soft games are scary because you don’t want to forfeit your progress. Not due to character design. Granted horror tropes merely annoy me so take that with some salt. That is the only thing I hate about my bday month. All the movies are boring (well...back when I watched movies regularly) ... I have not quite succumbed to my mom’s hobby of watching Chinese fantasy love dramas though. (The irony makes me laugh though).

So hyped for new Yakuza!!! This will be my first xbox title in the series. I figure series soft reboot needs a hardware change. Getting the xbone version of course.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic