Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 11,721 to 11,740 of 11,955

Ralizah

@Dezzy Wait, Spyro wasn't already 60fps on home consoles? I kinda forget how bad a lot of multiplats ran on the so-called "power consoles."

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Switch Lite: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
PC: DOOM 2016 (post-game; cleaning up collectibles)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Nope, I deliberately checked. Even on Xbox One X it was still 30fps. The game ran pretty much flawlessly at 30fps though so it's not that noticeable.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

DarthNocturnal

-Sea of Thieves. Upgrade confirmed, finer details haven't been revealed, but if it isn't 60 FPS, I'll be surprised.
-No Man's Sky. I'm surprised I've invested over 100 hours into it, because performance can really tank on some planets. One X had a 60 FPS option, so X|S should be fine. And it still gets updates, so a free upgrade is likely.
-Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order. This is more for the load times, but if they (MS through technowizardry or EA via an upgrade) can hit 60 FPS, that'd probably make combat feel smoother.
-Forza Horizon 4. Upgrade already confirmed. Nuff said.
-Skyrim. 60 FPS and borderline non-existent load screens are fun.
-Fallout 4. Same as above. No upgrade confirmed, but it's one title that is getting a boost without one.
-Borderlands 3. Upgrade confirmed.

I'm sure there are others. I did just start Spyro, but maybe it'd be worth holding off on continuing it until I see how X|S handles it.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Dezzy

DarthNocturnal wrote:

-Skyrim. 60 FPS and borderline non-existent load screens are fun.

Yeah that'd be good. I haven't played Skyrim since the time I did nothing else for an entire week, back when it launched.
This might tempt me to go back for a 2nd go.

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia Sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm going to talk about third parties first. My bet is that Series X will get the best version of multiplatform games during the whole generation. However, developers will target the common features and even target PC. This means that if PS5 has a rare hardware feature it won't be used and if Series X has a rare hardware feature it won't be used either. The reason why games will run better on Series X is because it has a more powerful CPU, GPU and faster GPU memory.

Secondly, first-party games will run great on Series X and PS5 (well, depending on the studio) but none of these cross-gen games will make the most of the new consoles, e.g., Gears 5 free remaster and Spider-Man Miles Morales Deluxe cross-gen spin-off PS4 next-gen DLC 😂. In November, we'll see how multiplatform games run on each console (I agree, DF is perfect for benchmarks) and I say that they'll run and/or look better on Series X but it's going to take a while before we see a first or third-party game that looks truly next-gen. I'm more excited about better performance, loading times and latency at the moment and when Fable finally comes, heck, wonderful.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/10/gears_5s_input_latency_...

I think that, right now, there are more reasons to get a Series X because of the better value of Game Pass, free remasters and full backwards compatibility. I mean, Xbox is just better value. Once the next-gen games come and each console gets its own exclusives, it's going to become more of a subjective thing as it has always been, such as Halo or Spider-Man? Fable or Horizon? Forza or Gran Turismo? And so on. I like some Sony games (Wipeout, Ratchet & Clank and even Knack II) but, generally, I prefer Xbox games because of what we have discussed many times, Xbox games, just like Nintendo games, are more "gamey" than Sony's blockbusters.

@Dezzy It's not just one person but I don't want to discuss that any longer.

BlueOcean

Justifier

@DarthNocturnal
Fallout 4 upgrade is confirmed. 60 fps.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

DarthNocturnal

@Justifier

Yeah, I said that. Or rather, that it was a game getting boosted without a full upgrade patch. One of the lucky ones that can easily go beyond it's original framerate without impacting physics or animations.

Dezzy

DarthNocturnal wrote:

One of the lucky ones that can easily go beyond it's original framerate without impacting physics or animations.

Hopefully the same will apply to most games that have PC ports. Given that they nearly always target 60fps, you'd assume they all used frametime-independent approaches to their game systems, so they can share assets between all platforms.
I'm sure a few are more clumsily designed too though.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Timing was probably different back in July, look how the Series X/S enhancements for Ori and the Will of the Wisps was planned for 2021 for example. Seems pretty obvious that back in July, Microsoft had all their eggs in the Halo Infinite basket and when that was delayed the timing of upgrades/DLC for already existing games at the Series X/S launch window became a lot more important.

I'd imagine even Gears Tactics wasn't originally a Series X/S launch title but delayed to then because Halo Infinite was delayed.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

I spend every morning checking AmazonNA for XSX availability. "Currently unavailable" It makes me a little sad. But at the same time I'm surprised how eager I am to jump back into the MS ecosystem. Although I have no intention of signing up for Game Pass, my backlog is bad enough as is.

Switch Physical Collection - 677 games (as of December 4th, 2020)
Currently playing: Va-11 Hall-A (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Lindhardt

I finally took the plunge and got Xbox Gamepass for PC. Right now I'm downloading No Man's Sky and Fallout 76 and I plan on downloading Halo MCC and Final Fantasy XV later. The Xbox launcher isn't really as bad as I hear most people talk about.

Edited on by Lindhardt

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

BruceCM

They have been working on that quite a bit recently, @Lindhardt .... So, it is a LOT better now than even 6 months ago! Just so you know people weren't making it up before.

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Dezzy Timing was probably different back in July, look how the Series X/S enhancements for Ori and the Will of the Wisps was planned for 2021 for example. Seems pretty obvious that back in July, Microsoft had all their eggs in the Halo Infinite basket and when that was delayed the timing of upgrades/DLC for already existing games at the Series X/S launch window became a lot more important.

I'd imagine even Gears Tactics wasn't originally a Series X/S launch title but delayed to then because Halo Infinite was delayed.

Yeah that might be it. I think there's also the unfortunate fact that Gears just isn't as highly regarded today as it was during the original trilogy. The first game was almost the pioneer of the third person cover shooter genre. Whereas at this point in time, it feels incredibly generic and safe as a series. Not that I don't like it, because I do quite a lot. But it's really not innovative at this point in time.

DarthNocturnal

And there it is. No Man's Sky is getting an official free upgrade. Targeting 60 FPS at 4k on PS5 and Series X, while adding more detail, increasing multiplayer group size, and reducing load times.

I'm guessing Series S only misses out on the 4k part. It was mentioned alongside all this.

DarthNocturnal

And out of the blue, Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer is now on XB1.

Hopefully this means that any current gen Star Wars ports of games that aren't already BC will also come. Please let Rogue Squadron be next...

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Ryu_Niiyama

I will say if MS makes the fridge a consumer product, I am buying one. It will go in storage till i get a house but that is too nerdy to pass up.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Dezzy

@BlueOcean

I dunno if just 1 guy leaving the project means anything. He could've just finished his part of it and wanted to move onto something different.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic