Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 11,201 to 11,220 of 11,914

Dezzy

They've announced/released the first 60fps backcompat boosts. So pleased with this, although the starting lineup is a bit boring imo.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/02/17/making-backward-compat...

Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs2, Super Lucky's Tale, Sniper Elite 4, UFC 4

They say they'll release new sets of games every few weeks though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Eel

Huh. So something odd happened just now.

I turned my Series S on, and it... went straight into a random game? No menu or anything. It went (bam) game. It’s not even a game I have played recently or anything.

Has that happened to someone else?

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@Eel

I haven't had that specifically but the Instant-On power mode is very weird and I have had some random behaviour from it, in terms of which games it seems to keep paused in the background.

I've turned that power mode off now though, because there were those reports about how it wastes a lot of power. The alternative version is totally fine so you should just use that.

Dezzy

@Eel

Only when you turn the console off. It still works while it's on.

Magonigal

If anyone is interested in using their Series S/X as an emulation box there's a great channel from Archades that goes through all the ways you can setup different systems and it's all legitimate if you just setup a developer account with Microsoft (small fee) and then download RetroArch. I've got about 80Gb of games on my Series S including Dreamcast, NeoGeo, Arcade, Gamecube/Wii, Snes/Nes etc. and they run great

Magonigal

Dezzy

@Magonigal

What emulators does it actually use? Is it all done in Retroarch, or does that just include a port of Dolphin or PCSX2?

What I'd really love is if you can get higher resolution emulation with various mods running on the Series S. Like the high res texture packs you can use with Dolphin.

@DarthNocturnal

It sounds like that's probably true. The 2 main areas where it can apparently cause problems are with animation and physics. So if a game was made in the same engine, it probably shares the same animation and physics systems (although not always), and so will probably be a candidate for enhancing.
So whichever games use that same engine Ubisoft uses. And also games that use Unity (which Super Lucky's Tale uses), will be doable.

Edited on by Dezzy

Eel

The developer mode lets you install external software, so that would depend on the software you get and what software have people made available.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Yeah I just looked it up. It definitely does higher resolutions. I dunno about texture pack mods though.

It also seems to have a good way of emulating the wiimote with the Xbox controller. I think I'll probably go and get that set up then. There are plenty of old Gamecube/Wii/PS2 games I'd prefer to have in higher resolution, like DQ8, Metroid Prime, Last Story, Skies of Arcadia etc.

Edited on by Dezzy

Magonigal

@Dezzy
Its mostly done through Retroarch but as far as i know that includes the cores from all the popular emulators so its the best option. One exception was Dolphin where I had to copy over the files from my PC Dolphin emulator. I haven't done much with it yet as i spent quite a long time getting it set up and files copied over but I think you can up the resolution

Magonigal

Dezzy

Cyberpunk update delayed until end of March, for anyone who didn't hear.

Hopefully that will give them enough time to really fix the performance issues. I'm hoping Xbone and PS4 are flawless 30fps by then. They've had long enough.

Also hoping that makes Series S reach 60fps, given that those same optmizations should carry across to the new consoles.

Magonigal

@Dezzy
Yeah, hope so. I haven't really started playing it properly. It runs fine on my Series S but could be better, especially as Assassins Creed Valhalla runs at 60fps and looks amazing

Magonigal

Dezzy

@Magonigal

Yeah I just played the introduction part of the game. Like the first hour or so. Then just explored the world a bit, before uninstalling it and waiting.

It runs totally fine on Series S, but 60fps would be so much nicer. I also wanted to wait until all of the major bugs were fixed, because there were quite a few bad ones that affected the main story quests according to the reviewers.

I don't care about the supposed next-gen improvements like ray tracing though. I just want 60fps with the current graphics and I'll be happy.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

New Halo Infinite screenshot. Looking better than before, definitely. I still don't think it looks especially next-gen (not many things do so far though), but I'm pretty eager to play it. Should be pretty great in 60fps.

Untitled

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

Yeah that one in the warthog looks great too. I just posted this one because it's more obviously in-game.

Either way I'm totally hyped to play it. This has potential to be one of the best Halo games if they do it right. The absolute best parts in Halo games are always the large set piece battle scenes across an open map with lots of reliance on vehicular combat. This could have quite a lot of that.

Grumblevolcano

Weird there hasn't been the usual fortnightly Game Pass additions announcement. For this year so far it's been:

• January 5th
  • January 19th
  • February 2nd
  • February 16th

So that would've suggested March 2nd as the next announcement date but there wasn't one.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

They said more enhanced games would be every couple of weeks. Well the first lot was 2 weeks ago now....

I wish they'd just tell us which ones we can expect. I have loads of previous gen games I want to play but don't know whether to wait for a possible 60fps version on Xbox or not.

Dezzy

@TheLightSpirit

Lol, that's a pretty mad suggestion. Most parts of the game are completely fine from what I could tell. Just bugs, performance, and some of the AI-related stuff that needs to be improved really.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic