Forums

Topic: Valve's Steam Deck console Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 332

JaxonH

@Balta666
Hey whatever works. I prefer a flip case that protects joycon from accidental button presses and doesn’t require 3 separate pieces. But they really should release an official flip grip for the OLED. Or even a 3rd party one. The flip grip I use was for v1/v2 Switch and is slightly too short for OLED. I can squeeze it in and it does work, but it would just be better to get one with a perfect fit.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JoeDiddley

Where is the best to look up a compatibility list or is it too soon for that?

I don’t have a Steam library so I want to check the games I’m interested in will be compatible.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Needeep

@JoeDiddley Best off sticking to Linux native games to be guaranteed to work (in Steam store they have the little circle Steam icon on the panel where you can buy and it shows the price and supported platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux) but generally many Windows games should work just fine.

You can check specific games current compatibility here though: https://www.protondb.com

Anything with Platinum rating will be fine, anything Gold mostly works with some small glitches, Silver has further issues and Bronze probably avoid (obviously the Borked ones don't work at all currently).

However, things may well change when the Deck arrives, but if you are looking to start buying some games in the Steam Sales, then the advice above is reasonable

Needeep

JoeDiddley

@Needeep great thanks. I have started adding games to my wish list to track sales but I will check your link and also probably reviews from early adopters on the console before making any purchases (with having a spring preorder I can be cautious).

JoeDiddley

I’ve had an email saying all preorders are delayed by 2 months because of part shortages. I assume a few of us had this?

Mine was due in the spring, so maybe around my birthday in the summer now.

The email said:
“The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.
Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.
Again, we're sorry we won’t be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go.”

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Zenchuk

I have been pushed back to After Q2 2022. Still trying to figure out if it will run better than my laptop witch is an Asus G750 - JM. Though so far it’s hard to tell.

Zenchuk

DannyBoi

I reserved the base model(64GB memory). Will it run AAA games well, and what will load times be like?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Farmboy74

@DannyBoi, from What I have seen and read, I expect it to be as powerful as a base PS4. During their developer presentation, Valve came up with a kit that is similar to final Steam Deck hardware as they are struggling to get dev kits out.

Linus tech tips also did a hands on video at a press event.

Edited on by Farmboy74

Farmboy74

JaxonH

Something that is absolutely crucial Valve gets right, which can make or break the entire experience, is the integrated on-screen keyboard.

Handheld PC gaming devices typically include a keyboard because it's SO necessary so often. Steam has an on screen keyboard, but it's a serious pain to use, with the keyboard keys you can access split across the touch pads, clicking in to type a letter...

They need to do better if Deck is to truly catch on. It has to be a seamless experience. I hope they're taking the time needed to ensure the integrated keyboard can be used via touch screen, but also as one keyboard navigated via the d-pad and buttons, and perhaps even gyro as an option like PS5 does.

The key word here is- options

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Matt_Barber

It's possible to get at least some games from most online storefronts working under Linux via WINE, but it usually takes a fair amount of tinkering and that's going to be doubly difficult on a device without a proper keyboard and only an 8" screen.

There are quite a few native Linux versions of games elsewhere though, particularly on GoG and Humble Store where they're usually DRM free, and they should be a lot easier.

Something you absolutely won't stand a chance is Game Pass or indeed anything that only installs via the Microsoft Store. That's just too baked into the fundamentals of Windows to be able to run separately. Some of those games are also available on Steam, but you'd have to buy them again.

Streaming services, on the other hand, look to work with it quite nicely and that includes xCloud.

Matt_Barber

JaxonH

@NorseGamerTommy
It’s a good reason. Pretty sure there’s a Linux version of Dolphin that’s as stable as Dolphin 5.0 on Windows, and if not, you can be sure they’ll perfect it once Deck releases and interest floods in.

I got a GPD Win 2 a few years back for handheld GameCube. It’s great. But Deck will be nice as it looks more comfortable, and should offer better battery life. I’d be lucky to get 3 hrs on a full charge on Win 2, and some games had brief stutters if running at 720p, so I had to lower to 480p for F-Zero GX and a few others.

Matt_Barber

There are a lot of handhelds that can run the Android and Linux versions of Dolphin, just about to hit the market, such as the Ayn Odin and GPD XP. The Retroid Pocket 2+ and the Anbernic RG552 are also in the frame, but the performance is a bit marginal and most games won't run at full speed on them.

The Steam Deck should perform far better than any of them, but if you've got a long wait for availability it's good to have options.

Another interesting development is that Cemu, the so far Windows-only Wii U emulator, is also in the process of being ported to Linux, expressly so that it can be run natively on the Steam Deck. It's a bit more hit-and-miss than Dolphin when it comes to compatibility, but a lot of effort has been put in to getting it working with the high-profile exclusives, and it's generally the way to go when playing Breath of the Wild with mods.

Matt_Barber

JaxonH

I'll always prefer playing Switch games natively on Switch, for the OLED screen, perfect gyro aiming, tabletop, and ease of access for amiibo scanning, but for games not on Switch, such as Xenoblade Chronicles X, Steam Deck will finally make that game hybrid. Only Wii U game left I care for emulating (Zeldas are better emulated as GC games)

As for Wii, I just want Sin and Punishment 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Super Paper Mario (the motion of Metroid Prime doesnt map well- it can be done but its not ideal).

For GameCube, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, F-Zero GX, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. And, if they don't get ported to Switch, Zelda Windwaker and Zelda Twilight Princess.

JaxonH

A size comparison to the Wii U gamepad for reference.

Untitled

TommyTendo

The gamepad is honestly one of the most comfortable controllers I've had.
Before I got my Wii U I thought it would be very heavy, but it weighs nothing lol

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic