Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,121 to 6,140 of 16,083

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

Apparently the first episode of Hitman is now free, functioning as a sort of elaborate demo.

Awesome. I haven't played Hitman yet (wanted to wait until the game was finished), but I shall check this out.

Octane

Ralizah

Well, I wasn't planning on buying MGS V this year, but... it's on sale for $10 on the American PSN. That's too good a deal to pass up.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-21-naughty-dog-on-l...

Naughty Dog: "I think it's time to bring the series to a close."

Finance: "Uncharted 4 is on track to sell over 10 million copies."

Naughty Dog: "Well, I guess there's so much room for other characters to be explored in this universe"

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

Dezzy wrote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-21-naughty-dog-on-l...

Naughty Dog: "I think it's time to bring the series to a close."

Finance: "Uncharted 4 is on track to sell over 10 million copies."

Naughty Dog: "Well, I guess there's so much room for other characters to be explored in this universe"

Just end it while you can. Not sure I like the idea of milking the franchise with spin-offs and/or games featuring bland characters (I'm looking at you Lost Legacy).

Octane

TuVictus

The responsible thing would be to end it now on a good note instead of milking it to the point where the name is tarnished by bad entries. I'd like to see what else they can do. I mean I know we'll never get another Jak and Daxter because the boss over there has a very childish view of maturity, but I would die of happiness.

TuVictus

Dezzy

@Octane

Which character is bland? I thought both Chloe and Nadine were quite good characters.
Both more interesting than Elena.

Ralizah

@Dezzy Nadine barely even qualifies as a character. There's just nothing to her. At least in UC4. Maybe this game will flesh her out a bit.

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Yer I guess she's a bit basic. Still, it looks like she'll actually get beat up this time, to make up for the hilariously implausible "doesn't get hit in the entire game" thing from UC4.

Octane

@Dezzy Ugh... I hated that about her in Uncharted 4. It just doesn't make any sense. Nathan can take down an entire army, but one person was too much. They didn't even give you the chance to fight her. Anyway, that was basically her character; A ''badass'' woman who beats up Nathan Drake. I felt like ND were trying to make a statement, but ended up with a bland and boring character. That being said, all of the bad guys in Uncharted are forgettable. I remember the old lady from UC3, but I can't remember her name...

Chloe was a bit more memorable than Nadine, but eh.. I didn't really care for her. Was she in UC3? Can't even remember anymore.

Octane

KirbyTheVampire

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Ugh... I hated that about her in Uncharted 4. It just doesn't make any sense. Nathan can take down an entire army, but one person was too much. They didn't even give you the chance to fight her. Anyway, that was basically her character; A ''badass'' woman who beats up Nathan Drake. I felt like ND were trying to make a statement, but ended up with a bland and boring character. That being said, all of the bad guys in Uncharted are forgettable. I remember the old lady from UC3, but I can't remember her name...

Chloe was a bit more memorable than Nadine, but eh.. I didn't really care for her. Was she in UC3? Can't even remember anymore.

That's how it goes lately. Companies are too afraid of offending people by having a man beat a woman in a fight, so now female characters have to basically be indestructible. Either that or ND are just really bad at making good antagonists.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

Nadine felt like she was added as a feminist power fantasy, and the game designers were afraid to give her any interesting character traits or weaknesses as a result. Which resulted in a flat, unbelievable character. Anyone here like older American action movies? If Nathan Drake is John McClane (funny and flawed in certain ways that make him an interesting character who you want to cheer for), then Nadine Ross is Steven Seagal (flat, perfect, Mary Sue-type character that is fundamentally boring to watch).

@Octane And, I'll object that the Uncharted games have no good villains: I really liked Rafe Adler.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

Companies are too afraid of offending people by having a man beat a woman in a fight, so now female characters have to basically be indestructible.

The rules are:
-they're allowed to get beat up if they're the heroine, because they'll ultimately emerge victorious later on.
-they're allowed to get beat up if it's by cartoonish or theatrical violence, like shooting fireballs at each other or being knocked off a high platform to their death.
-they can't get beaten, and decisively lose the fight, if it's realistic violence and they're the antagonist to a male hero.

I remember when Die Hard 4 broke these rules and how much it stood out to me that it was so unusual.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Ralizah He was interesting as a character, not necessarily as a bad guy. At least he had some history with Nate and Sam. But he was my ''favourite'' bad guy too.

Octane

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

If Nathan Drake is John McClane (funny and flawed in certain ways that make him an interesting character who you want to cheer for),

I'd always compared him to Indiana Jones. He's a bit too perfect and smooth to be John McClane. John McClane is a better version of that kind of trope, imo. One of the all time best action film heroes.

Gamer83

Listening to Neil Druckmann talk, there's clearly reasons Nadine was created as she was and you weren't able to touch her in Uncharted 4. I won't give my full thoughts on it, because I don't want to turn this into an essay and it won't lead to a good discussion anyway since my thoughts on certain things don't lineup with the insanity of most people today. However, eventhough I think Nadine is the absolute worst character in the Uncharted series, Chloe is awesome, always loved her, so I'm very much looking forward to Lost Legacy. It's a spinoff, not expecting it to be the greatest game ever made, but some people are selling it short before it even hits the market. I like the idea of Uncharted spinoffs from smaller teams for a budget price in between the big releases from ND. The adventures of a young Sully or one with older Sully and Sam Drake would be cool

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

KirbyTheVampire

I feel like picking Nadine was kind of a weird choice. I can see her being a good pick in the sense that there's a good chance of rivalry between her and Chloe, but she struck me as a generic greedy treasure hunting villain and little else.

KirbyTheVampire

Sanquine

@Gamer83
druckmann has a political agenda. I also love cloe but Nadine is super bland. That she beat up drake was one thing but both drake and Sam was to much for me..

Btw i think druckmann Will make both Nadine and cloe go gay for each other. :') nothing againsg it but i dont want a reskinned left behind.. I absolute hate those parts with the game arcade and the Halloween masks.

Edited on by Sanquine

PSNid= Sanquine90

3DS Friend Code: 1822-0847-4476

Octane

@Sanquine Now you've said it, I'm certain that will happen...

Octane

WebHead

Not enjoying Crash tbh. The game design hasn't aged well, especially for the first. Haven't enjoyed a lot of games this year.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic