Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 16,001 to 16,020 of 16,083

Zuljaras

I have a question (asked it in PushSquare as well) about the PS5 and automatic downloads/updates.

So, I turned off both system and game auto-update features but still when I install a game a then connect to the internet the console starts downloading the updates and installs them.

Am I missing on something here? I want to download and update everything manually.

It is really annoying that I have to cancel and delete everything manually because after having an internet connection all of my games queue and start downloading patches ...

Magician

@Jalex_64 Nice comparison video. The slim is about 30% smaller it seems? Even though the slim model is being upcharged ($50 more for a console that's costing Sony less to produce), I think I'm ready to make a purchase.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

RR529

Surprised there's been no Spider-Man 2 discussion yet.

Put in a lot of time into it over the weekend & it's great fun. More of a refinement than a revolution, but when the base gameplay in the first game was so fun to begin with, it's even better here (gliding is especially fun).

Really liking the sidequests too, especially the stuff that lets you take a break from the core beat 'em up gameplay for something a little different (there's quite a bit of puzzle solving in various manners, then there's the bee drone segments, even one where you ride a bike through checkpoints through Central Park, & I'm sure more to come).

It's maybe a bit performative in terms of how "inclusive" it's trying to be at times (particularly connected to some Visions Academy quests), that make it feel a bit too "after school PSA" at times, but it's all good fun.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Magician

@RR529 Seems the general census is "more but better". Just Insomniac's usual high quality bar.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

blindsquirrel

@RR529
The game is a masterpiece so far. My onlt problem is that the bee drone missions aren't very fun.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Jhena

Watched more Sand Land gameplay. Now I am really looking forward to it. Looks unique and the setting is interesting. Seems like a fun and wild ride. I like the possibility to customize the tank. The characters also seem to be likeable.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Anti-Matter

@Jhena
When I saw the first trailer of Sand Land and the character design by Akira Toriyama, I quickly thinking it will be Dragon Quest style.
I wonder if there will be different places to explore in Sand Land as it looks like the places will be on desert by 90%.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Jhena

@Anti-Matter
I was also wondering about the location. I mean I would not be surprised, if it is 90% desert like you said, but I hope they will be able to make the locations feel a little bit more varied.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

blindsquirrel

@EaglyBird
Honestly I have no idea if they were in the first game, I never really went for 100% in that one. In 2, there are about 3-4 of them in some side missions that are basically the replacement for Harry's labs from the first game.

Edited on by blindsquirrel

blindsquirrel

@EaglyBird
Nope, you just shoot some fake animals and then mark some beehive points. Some have added story to them, but not much.

There are some that have you chase a Hunter drone, but all you have to do is stay in the slipstream with your web wings. It’s really easy.

Magician

If you add the disk drive to a PS5 Slim after-the-fact, the add on will require a one-time server check for it to operate. Playstation is now unofficially an all digital platform, because the launch PS5s' are being phased out by the Slim model.

Untitled

Edited on by Magician

Ralizah

@Magician I mean... why would someone buy a PS5 Slim without the disk drive if they're unable to hook it up to the internet even once?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

@Ralizah The question you should be asking is, how much longer will the PS5 Slim with a disk drive built in...be available for purchase? At least Sony aren't entirely all-digital like MS. But hey, they're not far away with this.

Zuljaras

@Magician I assume the Disc drive package will not have this issue. And the disc systems of the future PS systems will be available as long as the physical market is strong. After all we are still getting charts that indicate mainly the physical sales and they are really good for the digital age we live in.

Ralizah

@Magician They're not gonna sell PS5s without a disc drive option out of the box. They're not Microsoft. A physical market actually exists for PS5 games.

You should be happy about this revision: before, someone with a digital PS5 was forever locked into the digital ecosystem. Now anyone can buy digital and upgrade to physical with an accessory.

If anything, this move improves the situation of physical games on PS5.

Edited on by Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@Magician @Ralizah We don't know that the disc model has the disc drive attached. It could be like Joy-Cons in Switch bundles where while included, you have to attach it to the console yourself.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Considering first-party developers are making a point of emphasizing that certain games are fully playable out of the box without updates (Spider-Man 2), it seems unlikely that they wouldn't give consumers the option to just boot up the PS5 with the disk drive already attached.

Although it's a non-issue, tbh. Everything needs to connect to the internet now. It should be expected that new consoles will need to go online at least sometimes.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic