Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,981 to 16,000 of 16,084

Jhena

@Zuljaras
Congratulations on your gift. I hope you will have a great time with it.

Started Star Ocean The Divine Force yesterday and today I changed the settings to Framerate mode. I am so not used to a smooth framerate like this. It was a great feeling. I think I can safely say now, framerate over image quality, especially if I can not see the image quality difference in this game.

The game is alright so far.

Edited on by Jhena

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

RR529

Finished up FFXVI last night! Still musing on my overall thoughts about it, but it definitely got me a bit misty eyed there at the end. Pretty emotional stuff.

Also started Armored Core 6 this morning. The opening boss actually kicked my butt a few times, but I persevered and got through it. After doing a couple other early missions, it's reminding me a lot of Daemon X Machina.

@Jhena hope you enjoy the Divine Force! You can definitely tell budget constraints hold it back at times, but it was nice to play a "bigger scale" JRPG that wasn't afraid to embrace the genre's sillier elements (wacky style over substance character designs, bunny collectables, etc.). Reminded me a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a lot in some regards.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jhena

@RR529
Yeah, already beat the game. It was a good time. Nice music, nice places, nice characters and the story was alright.

Do you think Final Fantasy XVI feels like a real Final Fantasy game? I watched the demo and felt very dissapointed in that regard. But I read it does get more Final Fantasy later on.

Jhena

MidnightDragonDX

I got a PS5 in July and have loved it. That being said, I haven't played a non-demo game on it since September 2 for various reasons. But getting excited for the stuff coming up. I'm unsure if I should keep my PS4 or sell it. I have a PS3, too, but still have some more to do with that, too. With non-Nintendo games that are also announced for PlayStation that I want, I get it for PlayStation no question, but there have been a few times I've double dipped. Most recently with Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life

Edited on by MidnightDragonDX

MidnightDragonDX

Magician

@EaglyBird I don't keep my cc info on my PS account, so I'm not compelled to change my password. But for anyone who does keep their cc info on their PS account...you probably should've changed your password yesterday.

Untitled

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

RR529

@Jhena, I think the only thing I really missed from the previous titles was the stronger party element, but otherwise it seemed to have a lot of reverence for the series' history. (I understand some didn't like the transition to a pure action based combat system, but between playing IV with it's "active time" turn based battles, X being pure turn based, & VII Remake being an action focused hybrid, I've never felt like a specific style of combat is inherent to it's identity, and I felt like XVI was very fun, especially once you start unlocking extra eikon abilities).

The "summons" (Eikons) are probably more important here (narratively) than in any other game besides maybe X (with their boss fights being an absolute delight), and despite it's more mature tone they do work in a lot of nods & callbacks to the series' history (there's a Moogle that hangs out at your home base, Chocobos are a prevalent feature, there's some manner of ancient magitek despite the setting being pretty standard "medieval", you'll notice the scarecrows around farms take the form of the classic Dark Mage, and other stuff like that). And of course Crystals are more important here than in any other game I've played in the series.

I guess I'd say it feels like a modern take on one of the classic really medieval themed FF's, just with an action centered combat system.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Jhena

@RR529
Thank you very much. If this game did not try to be so dark and violent, I think it would be easy for me to give this game a try. To me Final Fantasy should have a tone of consolation and seriousness, with lots of peaceful and some happy moments. But who knows, I did not want to give Tears Of The Kingdom a try and now it is a favourite of mine and the best game I played this year.

Jhena

kkslider5552000

The only things that have come out from Jim Ryan's Playstation I've heard of have been the worst decisions Sony has made in recent years so...this seems to be for the best.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Buizel

kkslider5552000 wrote:

The only things that have come out from Jim Ryan's Playstation I've heard of have been the worst decisions Sony has made in recent years so...this seems to be for the best.

Agreed. I'm hoping things can only go up from here.

At least 2'8".

jedgamesguy

No matter how good or bad Jim Ryan was for PlayStation as a whole I’ll always remember his comment about how he “believed in firm console generations”, only to release half their PS5 blockbusters on PS4 due to the shortages. Sounded fairly noncommittal and dithering.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Magician

BobTheBunkerGuy wrote:

Dang, First Reggie now Jim, now this leaves Phil Spencer as on of the few last gen leaders left..

Hush your mouth.

Shawn Layden drove the PS4's success. Not Lyin' Jim Ryan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Layden

How dare you lump Reggie and Jim Ryan into the same sentence.

One person was cool, the other...was a tool.

Untitled

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

RR529

I've come to the conclusion that Armored Core 6 is impossible.

It sucks because I love the idea & have enjoyed similar themed games (Daemon X Machina, Zone of the Enders, Front Mission Evolved, etc.), but not even the Ninja Gaiden games have so consistently kicked my butt.

I've hit a roadblock against the end of Chapter 1 boss (NOT the helicopter in Mission 1, the hover mech thing at the end of Chapter 1 with the barrier) & I just don't make any headway no matter how many times I try no matter what build I use (in fact, I actively do worse with the "recommended" builds I've looked up, such as a tank build with shoulder lasers).

I think I've only ever dropped a single game in the last 10-13 years, but this is looking like it's going to be number 2 & it absolutely sucks.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Anti-Matter

@Jalex_64
Oooh...!
Finally official PS5 Slim machine. 😃
It looks similar as Fat model, the only difference the black line in the middle.
Any comparison of PS5 Fat and PS5 Slim machines ?

Anti-Matter

Jalex_64

@Anti-Matter Not that I've seen, though it's meant to be around 30% smaller and 18-24% lighter, depending on model, if that's any help 👍

Jalex_64

Jalex_64

New PS5 Slim details:

• Launches in November
  • Console will replace the current PS5, once all stock is sold
  • Price will remain the same as the original PS5
  • Optical Disc Drive can be bought separately and will be available to buy in November for $79.99 / £99.99
  • Vertical stand will also be sold separately for $29.99 / £24.99, with a horizontal stand included in the box

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/10/ps5-slim-officially-u...

Edited on by Jalex_64

Jalex_64

blindsquirrel

@WaveBoy
Does the PS5 even need a pro? It’s getting to the point where games don’t even look that different between generations. Heck some PS4 games look better than PS5 games ( take Gotham Knights and Arkham Knight for example.) if the generational leap isn’t as big anymore, why would we need mid gen upgrades?

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Jalex_64

@EaglyBird @WaveBoy Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. No intention of buying this but very interested to see what the Pro model can offer this time next year, if the leaks turn out to be true.

For the time being, I'll stick to Switch and PC.

Jalex_64

Grumblevolcano

I think PS5 Pro is a kind of similar situation as Switch 2. With Switch you see stuff like Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and think, "Switch 2 would probably fix that just by brute force more power". While nowhere near as extreme, PS5 has gotten situations where a PS5 Pro could make things more stable like FFXVI framerate becoming a stable 60fps.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic