Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,341 to 15,360 of 16,083

Zuljaras

@Ralizah That is true but it was more of a remaster not a remake. By that I mean the fixed camera angle was still there, the tank controls with some modern twist, the same inventory options almost the same combat.

Other than that the new additional levels and puzzles were amazing - the graveyards, the crimson heads, Lisa Trevor etc.

But when you compare it to the remake of RE2 it was night and day.

I wish I could say the same about RE3 Remake

Ralizah

@Zuljaras No, it was definitely a remake. It's pretty clear it was a from-the-ground-up remake of the original, and also one of the most gorgeous games on the Nintendo GameCube. In terms of tone and narrative, I'd argue it diverges from the original more fully than RE2R ever did. They just didn't needlessly move away from the aspects of the original that worked, like the fixed camera angles or tank controls.

Mechanically, RE2R obviously feels more different from the original since they opted to make it more of a modern action-shooter with survival horror elements (and because it's a big-budget game from 2019, where RE1R was a big-budget game from 2002). It's just unfortunate they added in really annoying stalker elements and ruined the zapping system features by not making it where the two character campaigns connect.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Zuljaras

@Ralizah Maybe it was the change in the perspective but RE2 Remake was way scarier for me than RE1 Remake. The darkness and the sounds coming from it were chilling.

It was RE3 Remake that dropped the ball. It was very underwhelming and it had the potential to be great if they didn't CUT so much from the game.

JaxonH

There's a difference between a remaster, a remake, and a remagining.

A remaster applies a new master to the source. Like with music. It's already recorded. Just re-mix the balance of the various components to produce a new master without changing the original content. Aka resolution updates, framerate increases, better audio, etc. The goal is a faithful reproduction without changing the source.

Remakes re-make the exact same game from from ground up. It's not trying to create something new, it's simply trying to RE-make something which already exists. Build in a better engine, offer better graphics, smoother controls, new musical compositions, etc. The goal is a faithful modernized reproduction by remaking the source.

Whereas a reimagining takes the source material as inspiration, but adds creative liberty to change it in whatever way they see fit. The goal is not a faithful reproduction. The goal is to create something new but familiar.

There are a lot of remasters wrongfully labeled as remakes and a lot of reimaginings wrongfully labeled as remakes. "Remake" seems to be the go-to descriptor nowadays for just about everything. And even some actual remakes have been called remasters.

None are an objectively superior choice. But sometimes people don't want a reimagining. Sometimes people love the source material and just want it modernized. They don't want the thing they love changed on the whim of whatever new studio is handling development. Other times people may actually want a reimagining. Maybe there's not as much emotional attachment and there's room for exploring new narrative and gameplay elements.

I, however, usually prefer remasters or remakes. When a game is a masterpiece, I don't like seeing devs mess with perfection via reimaginings. Maybe it turns out well... maybe it doesn't. And even if it does, will it still elicit the same nostalgia if it's been changed too much? And that's just the thing- it's not usually something I want to see the dice rolled on. But that's just me. I don't mind a little liberty taken here and there, but major changes to gameplay or story... at that point just make a new game. That's not to say there haven't been reimaginings I loved. There have been. But if I had a preference of choice beforehand, I wouldn't choose to risk it.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tendo64

Anyone here playing Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War? I can't seem to find an option to invert the horizontal axis. I'm fairly useless without inverted controls both ways.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

diwdiws

To summarize: people are bent over semantics

diwdiws

TheFrenchiestFry

Something I just realized about KOTOR is that Jeremy Soule is probably not going to be returning as composer amidst all the sexual assault and rape allegations that were levelled against him back in 2019; It already looks like Bethesda severed ties with him and he won't be involved in TESVI. I think in that event, Inon Zur would be a really good replacement since I still want the remake's OST to honor how grand and epic Soule's work was. I'd love to hear new reinditions of stuff like the main theme that plays in the character customization menu, the main menu theme and Bastilla's theme

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Octane

New trailer, still no reviews though, which is a bit strange given it's launching tomorrow.

But at least the trailer looks nice.

Octane

TheFrenchiestFry

Untitled

I figured since Persona is a mainstay PlayStation franchise it might be nice to mark its 25th anniversary here since it is now September 20th worldwide. Happy 25th anniversary to the Persona series.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ryu_Niiyama

@Octane oh thank you for reminding me. I do hope kena turns out to be good. I’m lowkey anticipating it.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

kkslider5552000

So Deathloop has an increasing amount of trailers that sell no one new on the game, seem completely unable to sell the game at all, instead just confusing people on why they should care, to the point that people are concerned on its quality. Game turns out to be great.

AND THEN Kena disappears for ages, only to come back the day before release, they refuse to give half the press codes for the game, makes people think they're hiding it being underwhelming. Game turns out to be great.

I'm not sure I understand the marketing from the Sony side of gaming right now.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Zuljaras

I love that fact that Sony fixed the stupid CMOS battery problem with the firmware update. Now people should not worry about their physical/digital games becoming unplayable when the battery dies

Magician

Fired up Black Desert for the first time last night. Mmm hmm, I feel as though I should've began playing this mmo sooner. The combat is money, easy to pick up but will take a bit of coordination and effort to master. I decided to roll a mystic because I'm in the mood to play an arsekicking female that uses kungfu. And since I love my women stocky, I maxed out the muscle options.

Got her looking jacked like Kristen Nun.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ryu_Niiyama

@Magician blushes she is a little bigger than my personal goals but I'd never heard of her before and will add her videos to my training/inspiration rotation. Do you know if she is a natural bodybuilder? (I don't really overly knock it either way as a lot of women get told they have to use "enhancements" when they just start out and then the damage is done...but they still have to put in the work.) I wish more games would allow for muscular women...it doesn't really make sense to have some warrior queen holding a sword as tall as she is but she has noodle arms.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Magician

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

@Magician blushes she is a little bigger than my personal goals but I'd never heard of her before and will add her videos to my training/inspiration rotation. Do you know if she is a natural bodybuilder? (I don't really overly knock it either way as a lot of women get told they have to use "enhancements" when they just start out and then the damage is done...but they still have to put in the work.) I wish more games would allow for muscular women...it doesn't really make sense to have some warrior queen holding a sword as tall as she is but she has noodle arms.

@Ryu_Niiyama

Nah, I don't doubt Kristen Nun is on a cycle. Which is fine, to each their own.

But if you're looking for a more natural inspiration I would recommend Dana Lynn Bailey instead.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ryu_Niiyama

@Magician Yeah DLB is one of my favs. I follow her pretty religiously.

On Topic: is anyone playing Kena on Ps4? How is it?

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama Last time they did it was TLOU2, and look at the reaction that character got. The industry isn't ready for more Abbys.

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

@Octane They said the same thing about us voting too. sigh I don’t want to start an argument however bottom line is women come in all shapes and sizes just like men (well not just like due to the average height and body mass differences but our muscle system is similar but our being estrogen factories makes that less obvious ). I know “conventional beauty” hates that but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s true. And there is a slow change happening where women are allowed to make our characters reflect that. And I don’t just mean bodybuilder body types as if you look at most dancers, martial artists, soldiers or athletes we have muscles.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@Octane which part? The voting? Women usually gained rights after men in every modern society and of course in many countries we are still essentially “broodmare/free maid/mom is your only purpose in life” caste. I can’t speak for “conventional beauty” outside my country but I have never heard of place that celebrates and accepts all female body types. If you know of such a place and it’s safe for Black people, let me know. I’ll move.

Anyway. Kena on PS4…anybody? I may have to ask on push square.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic