Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,361 to 15,380 of 16,083

VoidofLight

Eh, I'm not really upset if a female character is muscular, or is a badass. I'm just upset if the character is poorly written. I haven't played TLoU2, but I heard the main character isn't well written at all.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Octane

@VoidofLight It wasn't a badly written character IMO, people just needed an excuse to get upset about.

Octane

jump

@VoidofLight I mean given the general standard of video gaming writing is rubbish writing is rarely an actual issue for gamers in games.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Hmm, more that there's not really much consensus on what qualifies as 'bad writing', @jump ... The objective things that could be agreed are rarely such big issues & are usually addressed if they are
Now, I haven't played either Last of Us as I haven't got a PS & it seems they're not coming to Steam, so I only have the info & opinions expressed to go on ....
So, I feel like I do understand where the fans are coming from with their complaints & that was clearly done deliberately
As far as the appearance of characters in games go, you'll often get some complaints about it & people are allowed those, since it is fictional people but I'm not sure I've seen enough of those about the 2nd game to comment

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jump

@BruceCM it is when the vast majority of video games stories are brain dead rubbish.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

VoidofLight

@jump A lot of games actually have pretty good stories, although it's mostly JRPG's.

jump

@VoidofLight Most JRPGs are examples of the WORST writing possible, just because they have put effort into writing something doesn’t make it good. The amount of convoluted plots tropes they try to fit is in numbing.

Nicolai wrote:

Losermagnet

Video game stories still seem painfully stupid to me in a general sense. I feel like we're in the in-between of a culture shift where they'll be able to tell more diverse and sophisticated stories, but it'll take awhile to get there. Maybe part of the problem is people want to experience the gameplay but aren't prepared for depictions or subject matter they personally dont find agency with. For me personnally, a lot of it comes off like gratuitous violence and/or boobs.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jump

@Losermagnet Yeah, I agree. There’s not enough boobs and violence.

Nicolai wrote:

Anti-Matter

@Losermagnet
I like the "no violence at all" storyline from Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles.
Such a peaceful and relaxing game to play.

Anti-Matter

Losermagnet

@jump some games could definitely be improved by more of these things....

But otherwise, it's like the further we try to move on from those stereotypes the whinier people get.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

BruceCM

Oh, @jump ....? There's plenty of games which don't pretend to have much of a story, being primarily about the gameplay, which is fine
Perhaps it depends what you're expecting from them? If you dislike the tropes, that's often a problem in films & TV, too
If it's highly subjective to say they're good, that's equally true for saying they're bad, @Octane. Which my main point, anyway
For TLoU 2, they obviously went for a story with content they must have realised was divisive, which I accept they're allowed to do. But complaints about the choices made aren't about the writing side, really, as the people doing that were presenting what they were given

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

jump wrote:

@BruceCM it is when the vast majority of video games stories are brain dead rubbish.

I don't think so.
The PS4 games I played like Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles, LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER, Portal Knights, Evoland, Ratchet & Clank PS4 have good storyline to digest.

Anti-Matter

jump

@Anti-Matter thank you for proving both of my points that video games are mostly brain dead rubbish and that they need more bewbs and violence in them!

Nicolai wrote:

Anti-Matter

@jump
I think the peaceful and relaxing storyline from Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles is the best for me. 😌
BTW, I don't need boobs.
I want six pack dudes. 😜

Anti-Matter

Octane

Anti-Matter wrote:

I want six pack dudes. 😜

That's why you should play God of War.

Octane

VoidofLight

I think things like Xenoblade have pretty good plots. Sure, some games have their moments of pure cringe.. and games like Xenoblade 2 is full of those. You also have games like Astral Chain, Scarlet Nexus, etc which have generic anime plots. However, there are some pretty good JRPG's that contain some tropes, but tell good stories as well. Just depends on where you look.

I don't really agree with the notion that game plots can't be well written.

jump

@VoidofLight are you bringing up Xenoblade to prove video games stories are really good or this like when you talk about Yu Gi Oh being super duper dark and mature?

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic