Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,361 to 15,380 of 15,449

Ralizah

I'm very much in "wait and see" mode with DQXII, FFXVI, and particularly KOTOR remake, since I could see this Sam Maggs thing blowing up into another ridiculous culture war issue. If the writing of the game has been compromised, or if it has been turned into an action-adventure title, then it should be readily apparent once they start showing off the game. I'm not going to completely disregard the game because the lead writer is annoying on Twitter, though.

Really not liking the samey character designs, grim atmosphere, and action combat look of FFXVI thus far, but I won't write it off completely before we know more about it.

DQ is inherently more concerning because it was the one really consistently solid S-E series that never tried to rewrite the book when it came to JRPG game design. Some people don't like that, but it was nice to have something traditional to fall back on when Final Fantasy was (frequently) tripping over its own feet.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (NS)

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm nowhere near close to disregarding the game based on no footage, a teaser of Darth Revan standing in a room and a few blog posts. A controversial writer also doesn't necessarily mean a bad writer and Aspyr have had my trust instilled in them before due to their excellent work on Star Wars remasters, so it's nice seeing them being given a project to make from the ground up with both Lucasfilm and Sony's backing.

There are a lot of ways to f*ck a KOTOR remake up, but under this kind of developer specifically I feel safe in saying they won't.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
It does seem there's truth to what you just said. Upon further investigation it seems the "NOT KOTOR" when read in proper context of the entire thread is not specifically dismissing the game. Without that context it sounded like, "what's your favorite Bioware game" with the answer being "NOT KOTOR" as if to say, "anything but THAT".

Doesn't address all my concerns with her but it does make me feel more confident.

I wouldn't equate having concerns with automatic dismissal. It would have to have a very serious problem to automatically dismiss. But I can't say I'm fully confident either. I've seen these activist types so many times before, and they have a tendency to use their positions of influence to preach their dogma and virtue signal.

As long as the writing isn't changed, I'm happy. Don't really care what her personal beliefs are so long as it doesn't crossover into the game.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: METROID DREAD (10/10 muah!)
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Anti-Matter

Untitled
https://www.play-asia.com/summer-in-mara/13/70ewzh

Wow !
Summer in Mara will get physical release too on PS4 due to 29 Nov 2021. 😀

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

gcunit

Just make a new Star Wars RPG ffs. When a game is held in such high regard, how can a remake deliver? I know FF7 Remake seemed to go down well, but that's a game not as consistently well regarded as KOTOR.

Cheap NSO + expansion membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

VoidofLight

I’m more curious for DQ 12, since it could hopefully end up not being a generic rpg that just constantly plays it safe with the story. I like dragon quest’s spin-offs, but my main issue is the main series, which I tried to get into, but got a bad taste in my mouth while playing. The story of 11 was way too predictable, being the standard generic jrpg story that’s been done time and time again.. and while that is the point of the series, it’s still kind of annoying to me.

The gameplay wasn’t really a strong suit in 11 either, given that it was just the same old system used over 20 years ago, and the option to move around the battlefield offered nothing, and had no reason to exist in the first place.

I’m hoping 12 is more innovative, with a better story, better music that isn’t ear bleeding, and a better battle system, that doesn’t get rid of the turn-based structure, but supplements it and actually makes it more interesting to play as a result.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

JaxonH

Seems Sony is releasing NVMe drives with heat sink but under a different brand? Nextorage?

Hopefully they hold up better than those Vita memcards. I’m not quite sure why they wouldn’t brand it under Sony or even PS. Why use “Nextorage”?

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: METROID DREAD (10/10 muah!)
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

I generally prefer remakes over remasters. The original game still exists, so why not take a risk with the remake? At least it'll be somewhat of a new experience instead of the same game, but just a little prettier.

Octane

Anti-Matter

@Octane
I already experienced it from FF III NDS version.
FF III NDS version was pretty different than FF III NES version and I like FF III NDS than the NES version.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Zuljaras

@Octane That is why Resident Evil 2 Remake is one of the greatest Remakes ever made It changed so much and it was really terrifying to play for the first time. I loved it!

If it was like Resident Evil 1 HD Remake it would not have that impact.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Zuljaras

VoidofLight

I’m still of the opinion that Final Fantasy 7’s remake ruined the term remake, making people expect a reimagining of a game, instead of a graphical upgrade that was made from the ground up. I’ve seen people call the Diamond and Pearl remakes a remaster, even though remasters are games that are reskinned with better textures, and not made from the ground up.

TheFrenchiestFry

@VoidofLight I honestly think even further than that Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy added a crap ton of confusion as to what to label as "remaster" vs. "remake". Sony when promoting the game at PlayStation events kept using phrases like "remastered from the ground up" to market it to people when in actuality both Crash and Spyro are basically remakes with very little in terms of actual assets carried over from their PS1 counterparts.

Bluepoint is also subject to debate for whatever reason because their remakes use the original game's source code during development to have the physics and movement of characters closely mimic the original game, but they're so graphically and stylistically overhauled that calling them remasters is kind of underselling them, especially in the case of Shadow of the Colossus PS4 and Demon's Souls PS5

TheFrenchiestFry

BruceCM

Yeah, unfortunately remake can mean quite a variety of things .... Which includes the reimagining for FFVII Remake or the Pixel Remasters, which clearly are remade completely
For any such games I'm interested in, I have a good look to work out just what they're doing & whether it'll be worth me getting

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

I’m still of the opinion that Final Fantasy 7’s remake ruined the term remake, making people expect a reimagining of a game, instead of a graphical upgrade that was made from the ground up.

Oh no, people want a remake to be interesting now, how sad. : (

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 I mean FFVII and Resi 2 are kind of interesting in the fact they're not really remakes. They're more like reimaginings of old games that share very little mechanically with their predecessors and I think it creates the expectation every remake has to follow suit when that doesn't really need to be the case so I see what he's saying

FFVII and Resi 2 are basically new games all things considered. They're new games based on old games that haven't aged gracefully. FFVII even forgoes adapting the original plot one to one and basically kind of branches out from being a remake in the traditional sense altogether by the time the ending happens

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 It’s not that, but I take issue with people who are calling something that is a remake “not a remake” because it’s not drastically different from what came before.

Ralizah

@Zuljaras The remake of RE1 was wildly different from the original game. They fashioned one of the scariest survival horror games of all time out of something that, even at the time, seemed like a cheesy b-movie.

Currently Playing

Zuljaras

@Ralizah That is true but it was more of a remaster not a remake. By that I mean the fixed camera angle was still there, the tank controls with some modern twist, the same inventory options almost the same combat.

Other than that the new additional levels and puzzles were amazing - the graveyards, the crimson heads, Lisa Trevor etc.

But when you compare it to the remake of RE2 it was night and day.

I wish I could say the same about RE3 Remake

Zuljaras

Ralizah

@Zuljaras No, it was definitely a remake. It's pretty clear it was a from-the-ground-up remake of the original, and also one of the most gorgeous games on the Nintendo GameCube. In terms of tone and narrative, I'd argue it diverges from the original more fully than RE2R ever did. They just didn't needlessly move away from the aspects of the original that worked, like the fixed camera angles or tank controls.

Mechanically, RE2R obviously feels more different from the original since they opted to make it more of a modern action-shooter with survival horror elements (and because it's a big-budget game from 2019, where RE1R was a big-budget game from 2002). It's just unfortunate they added in really annoying stalker elements and ruined the zapping system features by not making it where the two character campaigns connect.

Currently Playing

Zuljaras

@Ralizah Maybe it was the change in the perspective but RE2 Remake was way scarier for me than RE1 Remake. The darkness and the sounds coming from it were chilling.

It was RE3 Remake that dropped the ball. It was very underwhelming and it had the potential to be great if they didn't CUT so much from the game.

Zuljaras

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic