Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,321 to 15,340 of 16,084

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia I have faith Aspyr will preserve the original in most regards, especially narratively and structurally given their statements on what the remake is supposed to be in terms of faithfulness. My one gripe is that the battles feel incredibly slow despite the D20-like system creating a lot of intensity during those fights, but they definitely should at least increase the pace of the encounters without going full on action-RPG like a lot of these remakes do. In fact KOTOR wouldn't really work nearly as well as a pure real-time experience

My one big adjustment would probably be restoring the cut content and dialogue options like the entire planet of Sleheyron which is only available through modding the game on PC.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH Sam Maggs never said she didn't like the original game. She said it was one of her favorite games of all time but followed up with "did I say it was my favorite? No."

There's a lot of misinterpreting regarding her actual stance on KOTOR. This isn't even her first time she's writing for Star Wars at all since she also writes for the IDW comics

TheFrenchiestFry

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Yeah, it's the low-risk tried and true formula that every big budget game wants to safely replicate. If you want to guarantee financial success of any big expense project, cinematic action adventure with some RPG-lite elements works without fail! Or a Marvel/SW license. Combine both and it prints money, unfortunately. The masses gobble it up like a Michael Bay film.

The writing worries me as well. I've heard about the writer they put in there and I can't fathom who assigns a writer to a game remake that hates the game. That means by definition you want it to basically be a different game that goes in a different direction, at which point, why remake it at all? Why not just make a new series entry that's everything you wanted it to become? And yes, the dreaded politics.... Though, Sarkesian was involved in Psychonauts 2 and didn't manage to corrupt anything. Though Tim really does most of the writing himself, so I'm not sure what her role really was in that.

But yeah, so far we have a game remake of a classic game, that sounds like they want it totally rewritten into something else, and they hired a writer who both hates the game they're remaking, and sees projects as a political tool, along with every indication being a genre change as a mass-market adventure instead of an RPG, which is what the game IS. I'm writing the game off as non-existant at this point. I'll replay the OG on XB with nicely improved visuals. If the remake turns out not sucking, that's a bonus, but it sounds like it's going to be a controversial mess that changes the game's narrative direction, gameplay, and even genre into something different. Of course I suppose it could be summarized by saying "It's Disney..."

I'm not sure what to worry about with DQXII. I'm highly worried about it, and I'm not even sure what to worry about. DQ as an action adventure would be so bad I don't think I could stand the box art. I don't think they'll do quite that with it, but I do fear it'll be a "real-time" ARPG FFXV style. I kinda like FFXV, actually, but that would be dreadful for DQ. The tone is also most of what makes DQ special, and they've all but directly said they're changing the tone. Eww. I'm kind of viewing XI as the last real DQ game, for now.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

I'm very much in "wait and see" mode with DQXII, FFXVI, and particularly KOTOR remake, since I could see this Sam Maggs thing blowing up into another ridiculous culture war issue. If the writing of the game has been compromised, or if it has been turned into an action-adventure title, then it should be readily apparent once they start showing off the game. I'm not going to completely disregard the game because the lead writer is annoying on Twitter, though.

Really not liking the samey character designs, grim atmosphere, and action combat look of FFXVI thus far, but I won't write it off completely before we know more about it.

DQ is inherently more concerning because it was the one really consistently solid S-E series that never tried to rewrite the book when it came to JRPG game design. Some people don't like that, but it was nice to have something traditional to fall back on when Final Fantasy was (frequently) tripping over its own feet.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm nowhere near close to disregarding the game based on no footage, a teaser of Darth Revan standing in a room and a few blog posts. A controversial writer also doesn't necessarily mean a bad writer and Aspyr have had my trust instilled in them before due to their excellent work on Star Wars remasters, so it's nice seeing them being given a project to make from the ground up with both Lucasfilm and Sony's backing.

There are a lot of ways to f*ck a KOTOR remake up, but under this kind of developer specifically I feel safe in saying they won't.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
It does seem there's truth to what you just said. Upon further investigation it seems the "NOT KOTOR" when read in proper context of the entire thread is not specifically dismissing the game. Without that context it sounded like, "what's your favorite Bioware game" with the answer being "NOT KOTOR" as if to say, "anything but THAT".

Doesn't address all my concerns with her but it does make me feel more confident.

I wouldn't equate having concerns with automatic dismissal. It would have to have a very serious problem to automatically dismiss. But I can't say I'm fully confident either. I've seen these activist types so many times before, and they have a tendency to use their positions of influence to preach their dogma and virtue signal.

As long as the writing isn't changed, I'm happy. Don't really care what her personal beliefs are so long as it doesn't crossover into the game.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

gcunit

Just make a new Star Wars RPG ffs. When a game is held in such high regard, how can a remake deliver? I know FF7 Remake seemed to go down well, but that's a game not as consistently well regarded as KOTOR.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

VoidofLight

Iā€™m more curious for DQ 12, since it could hopefully end up not being a generic rpg that just constantly plays it safe with the story. I like dragon questā€™s spin-offs, but my main issue is the main series, which I tried to get into, but got a bad taste in my mouth while playing. The story of 11 was way too predictable, being the standard generic jrpg story thatā€™s been done time and time again.. and while that is the point of the series, itā€™s still kind of annoying to me.

The gameplay wasnā€™t really a strong suit in 11 either, given that it was just the same old system used over 20 years ago, and the option to move around the battlefield offered nothing, and had no reason to exist in the first place.

Iā€™m hoping 12 is more innovative, with a better story, better music that isnā€™t ear bleeding, and a better battle system, that doesnā€™t get rid of the turn-based structure, but supplements it and actually makes it more interesting to play as a result.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

JaxonH

Seems Sony is releasing NVMe drives with heat sink but under a different brand? Nextorage?

Hopefully they hold up better than those Vita memcards. Iā€™m not quite sure why they wouldnā€™t brand it under Sony or even PS. Why use ā€œNextorageā€?

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

I generally prefer remakes over remasters. The original game still exists, so why not take a risk with the remake? At least it'll be somewhat of a new experience instead of the same game, but just a little prettier.

Octane

Anti-Matter

@Octane
I already experienced it from FF III NDS version.
FF III NDS version was pretty different than FF III NES version and I like FF III NDS than the NES version.

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

@Octane That is why Resident Evil 2 Remake is one of the greatest Remakes ever made It changed so much and it was really terrifying to play for the first time. I loved it!

If it was like Resident Evil 1 HD Remake it would not have that impact.

Edited on by Zuljaras

VoidofLight

Iā€™m still of the opinion that Final Fantasy 7ā€™s remake ruined the term remake, making people expect a reimagining of a game, instead of a graphical upgrade that was made from the ground up. Iā€™ve seen people call the Diamond and Pearl remakes a remaster, even though remasters are games that are reskinned with better textures, and not made from the ground up.

TheFrenchiestFry

@VoidofLight I honestly think even further than that Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy added a crap ton of confusion as to what to label as "remaster" vs. "remake". Sony when promoting the game at PlayStation events kept using phrases like "remastered from the ground up" to market it to people when in actuality both Crash and Spyro are basically remakes with very little in terms of actual assets carried over from their PS1 counterparts.

Bluepoint is also subject to debate for whatever reason because their remakes use the original game's source code during development to have the physics and movement of characters closely mimic the original game, but they're so graphically and stylistically overhauled that calling them remasters is kind of underselling them, especially in the case of Shadow of the Colossus PS4 and Demon's Souls PS5

TheFrenchiestFry

BruceCM

Yeah, unfortunately remake can mean quite a variety of things .... Which includes the reimagining for FFVII Remake or the Pixel Remasters, which clearly are remade completely
For any such games I'm interested in, I have a good look to work out just what they're doing & whether it'll be worth me getting

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

Iā€™m still of the opinion that Final Fantasy 7ā€™s remake ruined the term remake, making people expect a reimagining of a game, instead of a graphical upgrade that was made from the ground up.

Oh no, people want a remake to be interesting now, how sad. : (

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 I mean FFVII and Resi 2 are kind of interesting in the fact they're not really remakes. They're more like reimaginings of old games that share very little mechanically with their predecessors and I think it creates the expectation every remake has to follow suit when that doesn't really need to be the case so I see what he's saying

FFVII and Resi 2 are basically new games all things considered. They're new games based on old games that haven't aged gracefully. FFVII even forgoes adapting the original plot one to one and basically kind of branches out from being a remake in the traditional sense altogether by the time the ending happens

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 Itā€™s not that, but I take issue with people who are calling something that is a remake ā€œnot a remakeā€ because itā€™s not drastically different from what came before.

Ralizah

@Zuljaras The remake of RE1 was wildly different from the original game. They fashioned one of the scariest survival horror games of all time out of something that, even at the time, seemed like a cheesy b-movie.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic