Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,281 to 13,300 of 16,083

BruceCM

Well, they still have to reveal prices, for instance and exact release dates......

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NEStalgia

@redd214 Out of curiosity, what games were you interested in from the Sony show (that aren't also coming to xb)?

I think i liked both shows in equal measure but I don't remember what things are really multiplat (eg I'm waiting for ff7r on xb.)

Otherwise yeah I agree. To me that's a good thing though. I'm not a fan of the "upgrade when we tell you or you're cut off" mentality. $500 every few years just to stay in the game is harder to justify than it was. MS providing something different it's really welcome. But somehow consumers don't seem to respond well to that.

Also thought, x1x really was a half generation step, so it makes sense 1x owners wouldn't be super enthused. 1s owners would see a lot more of interest in the update. But "upgrade to our best model for a better looking and playing experience" isn't going to sell hype like "buy the $500 lockout dongle for permission to run the following games"

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia
GT7
Horizon FW
Spiderman MM
Kena
Astrobot
Sackboy Adventures
Ratchet and Clank
Destruction AllStars
Deathloop
Godfall

Obviously me having kids to play with may make my particular tastes a bit different from others, but it was just game after game after game for me.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 I'll have to watch that show again. I also was interested in most of that list, though several aren't exclusive. Kena is ps4 and pc, deathloop is timed exclusive. Godfall, so far it's console exclusive ps5 but I would be surprised if it remains so.

Spiderman MM looks good, but i was as disappointed in that being a stand alone dlc locked to new hardware as people were upset at Halo infinite not being a graphics showcase. It was presented as a full sequel at first... Kind of a weird way to do it.

Iirc youre not a big rpg guy, so for the ms show, so fable, grounded, avowed, really excited me, but pso2 is the "take my money" game for ms (since I'm not on pc) that ratchet is for ps. But yeah, them focusing on addressing that deficiency they have with rpgs might really have been a snooze event for you.

Nintendo gave me smtv in their 8 minute direct though, so theres the e3 mic drop for me

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia ehh the whole console exclusive but also PC stuff is too convoluted for me to pay attention to lol. At this point I just assume everything is coming to PC eventually anyway honestly. Was just listing the games I saw in the show that I wanted on the ps5 (in addition to 2k21 but that's an annual purchase regardless)

I agree the messaging of MM was definitely bungled but no biggie here. Huge Spiderman fan and even moreso Miles. We all played the crap out of Spiderman PS4 and loved it so that'll probably be the first game we fire up!

Traditional RPGs usually aren't my jam you're correct there, more of an action rpg taste. Some I can get down with like Deus Ex or Mass Effect, but others like Skyrim and the Witcher 3 just aren't for me. Some turn based ones click with me on occasion but the high fantasy/wizard/elves etc typically turns me off. It's great that the Xbox show scratched your itch more, especially considering that RPGs have been largely absent from their consoles from what I recall.

From what I can gather from the Infinite "outrage" is that MS has been banging the drum of most powerful console and the flagship game in their most popular franchise wasn't a mindblower. I'll be playing it on my phone/tablet/Surface anyway so doesn't ruffle my feathers. I think it looks fun to play!

Now you got me doing text walls too jerk

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Ralizah

In terms of the games profiled...

Excited or very interested
Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Sony)
Horizon Forbidden West (Sony)

Interested, but probably not day one
Ghostwire: Tokyo (Sony)
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart (Sony)
Resident Evil Village (Sony)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
The Medium (MS)

Everything else is somewhere between "I need more information" (Project Athia, Everwild, Fable, etc.) to "no way in hell" (Gran Turismo, Forza, NBA whatever, Bugsnax, State of Decay, Tell Me Why, etc.)

In general, I came away more interested in games profiled in Sony's one show than in Microsoft's two shows, which isn't a good sign for Xbox Series X, IMO.

NEStalgia wrote:

Nintendo gave me smtv in their 8 minute direct though, so theres the e3 mic drop for me

lol I'd trade every game in the Sony/Microsoft conferences for just SMT V in a heartbeat.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gcunit

Seems MS is going big on the service side, but services don't tend to appear on that many Christmas wishlists.

At the moment everything points to a repeat of this gen: PS will have the early momentum, which tends to turn into market lead for the generation. At some point Game Pass/XCloud could become a significant advantage, but people like dedicated gaming hardware, which PS5/Switch will offer more clearly than MS' mixed bag of Xbox/PC/Smart device.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@redd214 @Ralizah Y'all forget about Little Devil Inside? That looked better than ever.

@Ralizah I didn't get to watch the Microsoft conference live, but I apparently missed The Medium, so I looked up a trailer. It's interesting how they specified it contains gameplay (''The Medium - Official Reveal with Gameplay''), but then proceed to not showing any gameplay at all... Am I missing something here?

Octane

redd214

@Octane I definitely remember it, won't be purchasing that game.

redd214

Octane

@Magonigal Cheers! That looks more like gameplay lol. It certainly looks interesting. Do you have two views on your screen at all times? Or do you switch between them? It looks a bit weird this way. I'll keep it on my radar for sure.

@redd214 Why not if you don't mind me asking?

Octane

Octane

Is anyone playing Ghost of Tsushima? If so, early thoughts? I think I'm around 10 hours in at the moment. Despite being a bit outdated, it's still fun.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Didn't forget about Little Devil Inside, just wasn't particularly interested in what I saw. I think it's in my "During a very steep sale" list. I retain the right to change my mind on it, of course, but the initial trailer didn't really do much for me.

And you're not missing anything. Microsoft promised a lot of "gameplay" during its shows that apparently didn't materialize.

RE: the gameplay, I think a lot of it is doing stuff in one world to help change things and interact with the other. That's the impression I got, anyway. It looks very cool.

@Magonigal Great post! I wondered if there were puzzles and exploration. Just throw in some sort of enemy encounter system that doesn't involve hiding and this will go to the top of my list.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@redd214 LOL, see, it isn't so bad, is it?

Yeah, honestly both shows were light on true exclusives....which is fine, I'm not a huge fan of the whole nature of exclusives to begin with. But I probably saw equal amounts, overall, of things I'm interested in in both shows. I'm actually not at all versed in superhero lore, so my Spiderman knowledge is thin overall, but I'm always in for an Insomniac game. Miles reminds me of inFamous: Second Son: First Light mixed with Spiderman, and that can't be all bad. Unfortunately it's also just a stand alone DLC like First Light...

Fair enough on RPGs. They're my bread & butter, so I have a very different perspective when I see that. It's a mixed bag. XBox has had one glaring hole the past gen: RPGs. Sony's had RPGs covered, so when it came time for the reveals, Sony went very light on the RPGs, no need to focus on that since they already have that genre covered. XBox went hard into the RPGs because they're trying to show that they're closing that hole with a few key titles. They may have had the opposite effect of alienating their more existing fans though.

I still think it's sad the focus on the graphics alone by fans. I noticed it's getting kind of into hair splitting territory. XBox now says "the most consistently powerful console ever" - there was a DF breakdown someone posted somewhere that explained what that meant....but something about PS5 has more raw power, but XSeX has a selective drawing system that means that in raw crunch PS5 is more powerful in bursts, but XSeX can be more consistent and gets an effective constant multiplier on the raw power or something. So now they're splitting "consistently powerful" versus "most powerful" and the industry insiders know what they mean but it's all meant to confuse things for consumers....and the fanboy wars will be ugly!

But it's still sad. Halo is a good looking, fun looking big word...basically the first game but bigger and open and no invisible walls. But, no, the internet is screaming about it not looking "next gen" enough. sigh. Maybe the future really should be streaming.

Personally, having been bit by PS3, I think launch is still a terrible way to tell. We'll see how "next gen" Assassin's Creed, and Battlefield, and Darksiders etc run. I suspect Sony built their console for their studios & partners, while MS built the console the third parties wanted, and once again the third parties will run better on XB, while Sony games are better visual showcases. I'm not sure how I feel about rewinding to the PS360 era. It was both fun and frustrating.

@Ralizah See this is what's wrong with NO E3. I forget half the games Sony showed already:

For me, excited:
Ratchet (PS)
Halo (I'm not a big halo fan but it's always great arcade fun, and fun in coop. And it's current gen ) (XB)
Horizon (PS)
Spiderman MM (interested but disappointed it's not a full sequel.) (PS)
Avowed (Obsidian. Nuff said.) (XB)
Fable (It's not Peter Molyneaux. IT'S NOT PETER MOLYNEAUX!!!) (XB)
PSO2 (XB console exclusive (so far?) in the West) (XB)
Kena (PS)
Grounded (Again....Obsidian...I've been following that overall team since the Black Isle days in the 90's and never disliked anything they made. The day Interplay fell was one of the darkest hours in gaming. It was like the day Squaresoft merged. They've been floundering with no budget for 15 years. )
I think there was more in that list on both sides but I can't recall them.

So pretty even so far. Though, half of the "good" stuff on PS is the "loyal" devs that refuse to move to Nintendo in Japan that won't show up on sizzle reels.

Also, has anyone heard more about the next Tales game? It was a big E3 reveal at the MS show last year, and then kind of disappeared.

NEStalgia

Octane

@Ralizah It's an indie game, so I don't expect it'll be too expensive.

Well, when you gameplay trailer doesn't have any gameplay, I'm starting to get worried. I do hope The Medium won't involve shooting enemies; aka becoming a weird Resident Evil wannabe. But it looks interesting, I'll say that. Definitively want to see more of it.

Octane

Ralizah

@NEStalgia

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/tales-of-arise-delayed

They've delayed it.

Anyway, Fable may or may not be interesting, but it's going to be an uphill battle for it to attract my interest, since the reveal trailer reminds me of Shrek. Ugh.

Avowed could be good, but the name and reveal trailer couldn't be less evocative if they tried. We'll see.

@Octane See, some combat with enemies is all I'm missing. I LOVE traditional survival horror. Western games either have you running and hiding the entire time, or, like Bloober Team's other games, the horror is all down to atmosphere. Atmosphere is fine, but I need something concrete to threaten me. It's not really scary if there's nothing there to hurt me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia I think people will look back at 2020 as a reason why E3 needs to still exist once it's safe to return to big in-person events. Sony is the only one who has handled no E3 well.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Ralizah I kinda agree, don't get me wrong. But the cheap solution is usually, here's a gun with shoot-y gameplay, have fun. I think that Control, whilst I liked the game, wasn't able to embrace its own Lovecraftian themes enough, because it had to be a shooty-shoot game in the end

I think there has to be a more clever mechanic that is not a gun, or obvious direct combat, but is able to create a similar atmosphere. I can't think of any, but I'm not the developer!

Octane

redd214

Plus games for August announced. COD MW2 can be downloaded tommorow and Fall Guys next week. Watched so gameplay of the beta and it looks like it could be a great time!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Hey now! You're an all-star!

I didn't think Shrek other than "comedy fantasy fairy tale." And yes, we need to see more, for sure. But going so far on, good looking, humorous trailer, not Peter Molyenaux, and made by Playground, who has been very consistent in making really fun open world games out of....racing games..... I'm not even a racing fan but the Forza Horizon games are just plain old fun and well made. Put that team on a fantasy adventure RPG? That's like telling me Sucker Punch is making a new open world IP. There's not much chance of it going wrong.

Avowed. Well, it's Obsidian......If you heard of a new Atlus IP would you be too concerned it was going to be anything short of awesome? Same here...Obsidian (and their past legacy as Interplay/Black Isle) is kind of the Atlus/Squaresoft/Falcom of the West. They DO RPG. They ARE RPG. Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate (which was more Black Isle than it was Bioware...false credits there) - Fallout. Real Fallout. Not Bethesda's garbage Fallout. I've never seen these guys miss. Once. Other than when the budget fell out half way through.

Of course, they could get Micro$hafted....

@Grumblevolcano I hope so. Though I still don't think Sony has handled it better than anyone else. The show was bland AF. Year of Dreams is the benchmark. If over the top. The church set was terrible....but somehow still better than this. And I didn't think that was possible.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic