Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,281 to 13,300 of 13,303

kkslider5552000

BlueOcean wrote:

That is something very Nintendo Life: best Mario/Zelda/whatever game ever is the Switch entry ūüėā.

I mean, that's true, but those are at least remotely popular opinions. Several major Switch games are highly beloved entries for their series (and of the ones I've played that got that reaction, I also totally get it even if I don't 100% agree). Literally every mention of Fates I've ever heard from fans has been in someway referencing it being underwhelming to some degree. Even people who love large chunks of the game really dislike one of the three campaigns, I've found. Whereas Three Houses I heard mostly really good things from.

The opposite has happened as well. Compare critical reaction to fan reaction for Yoshi's Wooly World or especially Kirby Air Ride.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

BlueOcean

@kkslider5552000 I haven't played Fates yet, I loved Awakening. I wasn't a big fan of Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 but I loved previous entries, that's why I find those NL rankings hilarious because I always know which one is going first even if I don't agree. I will play Fates but I'm playing Bravely Default now and it's great. I liked Yoshi's Woolly World but Yoshi's Island is better. Didn't Yoshi fans like YWW? I am not a Kirby fan and I haven't played Kirby Air Ride ūüėĀ.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Ralizah

Despite its extremely vocal minority of detractors, BotW consistently outperforms other Zelda games in popularity polls and whatnot across the internet. It's also, far and away, the best-selling entry in the series. It's the new standard-bearer for the series, and the assessment that it's the best game released in the 21st century seems to be a fairly popular one.

Mario Odyssey... is very well liked, but the honeymoon phase with that game ended pretty quickly. It's good, but most Nintendo fans seem to prefer Super Mario 64.

@kkslider5552000 Three Houses was good enough to mostly bridge the, until then, growing gap between classic and newer fans of the series. Turns out you can have significant social sim elements WITHOUT the gross otaku pandering stuff (the writing in Fates: Conquest, in particular, is so, so bad).

Edited on by Ralizah

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

MsJubilee

diwdiws wrote:

MsJubilee Aren’t sluggish gameplay is by design? Considering it is a resident evil title

Not to this extent, felt worse than the past RE games. To be honest, it felt like a glorified VR game.

Anyway, I finished it. Terrible game, waste of time and waste of money. This game had no redeeming qualities, it went downhill fast after finishing the first area with Jack.

I don't enjoy suffering alone. However, I don't mind making others suffer alone.

I'm reading BlackSad, No Longer Human(Manga adaptation&book), and Metro 2035.

Juggling through Dishonored 1, Bayo1, and Zombi.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Despite its extremely vocal minority of detractors, BotW consistently outperforms other Zelda games in popularity polls and whatnot across the internet. It's also, far and away, the best-selling entry in the series.

You can't separate those 2 things really. A lot of people who respond to polls haven't actually played all the games. If BOTW is good and more people have played it, then more people are gonna vote for it on a poll, regardless of whether they actually think it's better than the other games.

NotTelevision wrote:

@Dezzy At this point who knows. There were the initial crop of people who hated the game before the leaks, then another group after the leaks,

I don't remember anyone hating it before the leaks at all. Who was that? I thought I was pretty much the most negative about it (certainly on this forum anyway). Going back about 3 years now my position was always that I wasn't that excited about it because TLOU was such a story-driven game, that it wouldn't lend itself to the same kind of iterated repetition that worked so well with Uncharted.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

I just finished TLOU part 2. What a game..! I'll have to let that one sink in for a while.

Octane

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Despite its extremely vocal minority of detractors, BotW consistently outperforms other Zelda games in popularity polls and whatnot across the internet. It's also, far and away, the best-selling entry in the series.

You can't separate those 2 things really. A lot of people who respond to polls haven't actually played all the games. If BOTW is good and more people have played it, then more people are gonna vote for it on a poll, regardless of whether they actually think it's better than the other games.

I mean, that's true enough, but Ralizah also literally pointed out that the same doesn't happen with Mario Odyssey.

link3710

@Ralizah Eh, seriously? People prefer 64 to Odyssey? I don't think I've ever seen that opinion. Usually it's between Odyssey and Galaxy 2, with a bit of 3D World for top picks.

I mean don't get me wrong, Odyssey wasn't perfect, but it recaptured the feeling playing my first 3D title with Super Mario 64 had, on top of QoL improvements all around and fantastic world, the most interesting in any 3D Mario. I've gone back and played both recently, and SMO's controls alone have it still be my preference to replay.

Aaanyways, back on topic, I'm finally going to get to start Persona 5 Royal next week when I finally go home after 4 months! Got 2 weeks of quarantining to do, so that and Spider-Man should keep me busy.

link3710

kkslider5552000

Debating Mario Odyssey vs. 64 is a weird one because one of them is obviously better in a 12+ hour playthrough to the credits and the other one is very obviously better when going for 100% or anything even close.

also lol we're turning the Playstation thread into more Nintendo

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Ralizah

@Octane When can I expect your 0/10 review to go live?

@Dezzy Most people in Nintendo communities have played older Zelda games, I wager. Anyway, my point is that there is a level of reverence for BotW that just doesn't apply to SMO, which is also the best-selling entry in its respective series (3D Mario, that is).

I'd also like to point out that NSMB and NSMB Wii both vastly outsold SMB3 and SMW, but you're never going to see the former two outrank the latter in opinion polls about what the best 2D Mario games are.

Of course, the flip side of this is that SMO doesn't have the dedicated hatedom that BotW does.

@link3710 Yeah, I find it weird too. Primarily because I have no nostalgia for the game, so I've never enjoyed playing Mario 64. A lot of people seem to think the way it's designed is perfect. They like the lack of gimmicks and focus on pure platforming, and appreciate how it's both open and mission-based (as opposed to the more collectathon feel of Odyssey).

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

Zuljaras

I played TLOU1 on my past PS4 before refunding it because of problems but never finished it. Today I finished it. Amazing journey.

It is really good!

I hope the Uncharted series are just as good even without clickers.

Zuljaras

gcunit

I've had a bit of a game-changing development this weekend.

Before, my PS4 was relegated to my office room (detached from main house), rarely getting any play time. I'd had limited success using remote play via my Vita in the house, but more recently hadn't been getting good enough connection speeds.

But this week I felt the urge to give my Vita more attention. Did a bit of fiddling and realised I'd never tried a LAN cable in my PS4. BOOM! Instantly better remote play performance (who'da thunk it?) and now I can actually see myself making some progress through the PS4 library. If I can tear myself away from Gran Turismo Sport. First up is the Uncharted collection, but then I think it might have to be The Last of Us, as that's the game I originally bought a PS3 to play probably more than 5 years ago and have still not played more than an hour of.

What price on Vita getting remote play compatibility on PS5?

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@Ralizah It's already live on Metacritic, and I've made five duplicate accounts to make sure everyone reads it!

@Zuljaras Maybe Uncharted 4. Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 have aged a lot more compared to TLOU. Especially Uncharted 1. Pretty revolutionary for its time, but nothing special today.

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 have aged a lot more compared to TLOU. Especially Uncharted 1. Pretty revolutionary for its time, but nothing special today.

You can say that again. I only got into the Uncharted series on PS4 because I never had a PS3. The first game hasn't aged well at all. It feels very average today.

2 and 3 both play very well still but feel very old fashioned. Although I think a massive part of that is down to how much the style of storytelling and characters has changed in the last decade. Those earlier games have a very tongue-in-cheek parody-esque style to them. None of the AAA developers make stuff like that anymore. Everything is super serious nowadays.

iKhan

@Octane

Maybe I should give the sequels a chance then. Because I played Uncharted 1, enjoyed it for what it was, and pretty much had no interest in playing any more. But if the sequels are that much better, maybe I should give them a go.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dezzy

Wow that Crash 4 trailer from a week ago has 16 million views on youtube. I seriously don't understand how this franchise got so popular. And I like it a fair amount. I just don't think it deserves Mario-level popularity.

@iKhan

The sequels are a LOT better. Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 4 are probably my 2 favourite action games of all time.

Edited on by Dezzy

Zuljaras

Well tomorrow I will start with Uncharted 1 and see where it leads me. I am curious about the story.

From what I have seen it looks like a murderous Indiana Jones and I would love that

Zuljaras

Octane

@iKhan Yeah, they do get better with each entry IMO. Uncharted 2 and 3 are pretty much on par. Many people prefer 2, but 3 had its moments as well. Uncharted 4 is again a leap forward in quality. But it's also on the PS4 instead of the PS3, so it looks better, is more detailed, and probably the longest game too. It also has a bunch of new gameplay features like the grappling hook, which makes the encounters a lot more fun and dynamic. I think I like Uncharted 4 the most. They are pretty enjoyable for what they are.

@Dezzy Yeah I don't know. I grew up with Mario 64, so Crash always seemed like a very restricted game to me. I don't really like the aesthetics of the remakes and the new game either. But people seem to like it. More power to them though.

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

Uncharted 2 and 3 are pretty much on par. Many people prefer 2, but 3 had its moments as well.

I think U2 has the overall better pacing, level design and story, but U3 has the best epic set pieces by far. I'll never forget the cruise ship getting flooding with water or falling out the back of the cargo plane. Those are so masterfully designed action segments.

Edited on by Dezzy

BlueOcean

@Ralizah Yes, it's a good game, just not a good Zelda game. Just like @Dezzy said, polls are voted by recent players but many long-time fans of The Legend of Zelda have a lot of issues with Breath of the Wild. Reviews of the previous Zelda games are also sky-high. To me polls or sales don't mean a thing, people who have played every single Zelda game except Tingle's and CDi weirdness are more relevant. I don't hate Breath of the Wild, in between, but I listed a long list of wrongs back in the day. About Super Mario Odyssey, it's not bad either. Controls are great and visuals are fine but it's more boring. Super Mario 64 is a combination of exploration and platform challenges while Super Mario Odyssey feels like a short trip and then a very dull sandbox and I think that's why fans think that it's good but not great.

@iKhan I beat Uncharted 1 before the others and it isn't any good but 2 fixed most of the technical, camera and gameplay issues. 4 is the best in my opinion but 2 and 3 are also good. About The Lost Legacy all I remember is driving the jeep and finding secret holes. It was average in my opinion. Uncharted 4 is also my favourite Naughty Dog game.

BlueOcean

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic