Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,261 to 13,280 of 16,083

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia Yeah I enjoyed what I remember playing of Second Son a lot. Too bad they are sort of locked on the PS3 for the time being.

Would be nice if they got a remaster or a port to Steam.

NotTelevision

Wargoose

@Dezzy I came across easy allies recently, Its the same guy who used to do the gametrailers reviews. He does have the best review voice lol

Wargoose

NEStalgia

@NotTelevision Second Son was kinda fun but it was a horribly repetitive, clearly incomplete rushed game. The first 2 games were much better IMO. And the mood of the first can't be beat.

NEStalgia

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia Yeah I’ve heard that, but I never owned a PS3 and didn’t get a chance to experience the first several. The open-world aspects weren’t the best in Second Son for sure. It felt really empty.

The action is fun though, considering how most open world games kinda drop the ball there.

NotTelevision

NEStalgia

@NotTelevision Yeah. Most people like the second best. Personally i think the first was the best. Second Son feels "new Sony", and was rushed. It's a good combat flow, with an irritating protagonist that feels like a bad Keanu parody, and an empty world without a fleshed out total environment.

2 probably had the most "stuff" in it, and was the most cinematic..... And i know sony fans are all about cinematic these days.... But I've never really been sold on that. I really enjoyed 2, but 1 is the one I want a true sequel of. The art style, the dark noire city, the ominous tone from the start..... 2 went all comic book with lizard men and lost the intrigue. Still better than 3 that was cheery in tone.... Which didn't fit the series.

IMO the First Light expansion, though brief, offers a better glimpse at the"real"infamous. Combat is best in 3. But the feel is best in 1.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia we finally agree on something lol! I too would rank them 1, 2, FL, then SS (Festival of Blood was pretty good too!) I got the original as a part of the psn hack olive branch and loved it from the start, was a great "interactive comic book" though it has aged pretty poorly overall. With the success of Ghosts of Tsushima though we may not see another for a while unfortunately.

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 lol, I'm going to have to play the lottery or something

Yeah, I haven't gone back to it in a while, so I'm probably still seeing it with rose colored glasses, but 1, especially, was a special feeling game.

That's one thing that's frustrating with Sony, is they leave a lot of franchises that are really good either dangling or abandoned when they're no longer selling as blockbusters. So franchises that were solid but got stale like infamous, or Jak, etc. End up vanishing rather than getting another run. They create a lot of new IP that way, but at the cost of really developing very few of them the way nintendo cultivates their IP. Infamous had 3 games plus DLC, not a bad run at all, but it feels like it was just the start of something that could have been much bigger. There's nothing else that really feels like it.

Not that Tsushima isn't welcome!

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

Given Microsoft shot themselves in the foot again with the July Series X event (first time was the May Series X event), I wonder if Sony will decide to stay quiet for longer so like have a State of Play in late August or early September.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

@NEStalgia yeah GoT looks amazing. I'm holding off on playing it for it to be my 100th platinum right before the PS5 comes out. Meaningless I know but I think it'll be a great way to cap off an awesome gen. I don't believe Sucker Punch runs 2 teams but maybe with the sales success they could fund another and get us another Infamous, never know.

@Grumblevolcano I don't think they'll wait that long. Waiting until 2 months before launch is cutting it a bit too close for a full spec blowout/pricing/launch list etc. I know that small of a lead up worked for the Switch but I think this is a different situation in a lot of ways. I expect the rumors to come true and them to pounce early next month with a SOP. Doesn't effect me personally as ill be there launch day regardless but we'll have to wait and see!

redd214

bpapa2020

Hoping I could get some help/advice here...

... was a bit surprised a few days ago when my mom told me my niece and nephew want a PS4 for X-mas. Have I failed them as an uncle!? I did give them my SNES Classic Edition as a hand-me-down last year, but I don't know if they enjoyed it, let alone tried it. They're also young - niece is 8, nephew just turned 7. I was a bit surprised they wanted a Playstation given that the platform isn't as kid-friendly as Nintendo's offerings. Of course, they're young children, so they don't know that, but I'm wondering how they even found out in the first place. They do have an older cousin on the in-laws, side, so maybe there...

Anyway, the question: Let's assume they do really want this, and not a Switch (my mom is going to check). What games should I recommend they get? What PS4 games are good choices for a boy and girl their age? Note that my niece does like American Girl Doll, and my nephew likes what you'd expect, superheros and such. Price would definitely be a factor here, games they can get on the cheap. And taking their age into account - I doubt my nephew would be able to make much sense of the new Spider-Man given his young age.

bpapa2020

Anti-Matter

@bpapa2020
"What PS4 games are good choices for a boy and girl their age?"

Well...
Recommended PS4 games for kids.
For Boys:
1. Portal Knights
2. LEGO CITY Undercover
3. Ben 10
4. Transformer Devastation

For Girls:
1. Moving Out
2. My Universe: My Baby
3. Paw Patrol
4. Doraemon: Story of Seasons

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano nah, i don't think ms shot themselves in the foot. I think they spoke well to the people they have been trying to reach, but did cement PS as the leader. Works for me. Xbox is best, by far, as an underdog. They were ugly as a leader. Not that Sony isn't. Let Sony keep hogging the mainstream masses. It's a comfy status quo. They both have their niches. MS didn't drop mics and "win E3" but they fortified their position and services.

Mostly i think ms is onto Sony's game (only took 20 years!) .... Sony's strategy is always "go last and undercut". So they're both trying to hold out for the other and play chicken.

@redd214 more infamous would be a dream! But that's not SCE style. They usually cut loose shrinking franchises and replace with new IP. Arguably that's their strength.... But it can hurt being a fan!

I'm with you on saving it though. Believe it or not, I still have most of the big exclusives to play from this gen. Gow, hzd, spidey, P5R. I played with psvr a lot, and some of the smaller exclusives, sfv, etc and ended up saving the big ones, so i get to relive the ps4 era still. I played part of them all to see how they feel, then put them away! Switch gets most of my playtime, and 3ds did for the first half of ps4, so my ps backlog is funny.

And I'm still buying Tsushima this week.....

@bpapa2020 Fortnite. That's probably why the kiddos heard about ps4 and probably what their friends play. It's not kid friendly yet it's the kids revolution. Even Nerf is all Fortnite themed now. It was more middle schoolers but I'm sure it's moved down now.

But unfortunately, seriously, that's probably what they want. And, hey, it's free! (And they could have had it with switch anyway....ah well.)

Otherwise little big planet is the first thing that comes to mind.

NEStalgia

Wargoose

@bpapa2020

Can't go wrong with the lego games, the Sims, spyro reignited, rayman legends, Sonic Team Racing, Kingdom Hearts 3 maybe.

Wargoose

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia I think they did, the Infinite segment goes against Phil's statement of "Xbox One isn't holding back Series X" and most of the games shown don't even have a release year so under the "all XB1 games releasing on Series X for the first year or two" comment suggests 2022 at the earliest (Microsoft seems to have to changed their mind on the comment judging by info in the Xbox thread though). All together suggesting that Sony's concept of sticking with rigid generations is the right move.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Tell me that when nobody can get a PS5 for a year after launch short of eBay...

I personally love the idea of ditching generations. The moment consoles became x86 gaming micro towers the need for generations ended. Sony is doing it for business purposes only. MS is sticking to the windows methodology of scalable software. I came away from Sony's show with the impression their big "generational"graphics showcase was stand alone dlc for their ps4
Spiderman. I'm not sure they really justified "generations" that well either. The main differece is Sony showed 30fps cinematic adventures with max settings while MS showcased a 90fps arcade shooter. Halo hasn't been a looker since combat evolved... And infinite was more or less like wiiu/switch botw, gcn/wii..... Twilight princess but with enhancements for better hardware.

Sony is the best marketer. That much is certain. They know how to set up an entire generation around something that looks good in screenshots and trailers.

I suppose I'm not in touch with mainstream gamers. If the most exciting thing about a new console is "generational graphics leaps", i definitely have different gaming interests. My biggest interest in ps is probably atlus and falcom.... Not exactly graphics showpieces. Diminishing returns is in full effect on both platforms. Though I'm getting ps3 vibes and wonder which machine will be most optimized by third parties. Ps3 was a dog for any game not made by Sony and that's the whole reason i ever bought a 360 at all.

I do think focusing on Halo in general wasnt the best plan for xb. Ms overvalues the relevance of Halo for whatever reason. I think Halo is a big, big release, but it's niche arcade nature makes it a "fan favorite" rather than a mass market taking point.

MS being only a year or two out from studio acquisitions while Sony did a Nintendo and bailed on ps2 2 it 3 years ago, releasing only what was in the pipeline... i think it was a given the release dates of things would be where they are.

Personally both presentations were kind of "meh". Ms probably intrigued me more only because of Obsidian, and I've been a fan of Feargus and friends since long before I owned an xb OR ps.

For me though the lack of forcing generations really makes me a lot more likely to invest in xb more. I feel more like it's a long term spend than with Sony... Or nintendo for that matter. Ps5 remains "a box to play ratchet, horizon, and persona on". I'll buy one and all the exclusives, but might wait for the slim this time. By then the exclusives will be cheap, too.

But I really don't think ms shot themselves in the foot. If the only take away of the presentations is the graphics of Halo looking like Spiderman..... Digital foundry should be the only gaming website, and CryEngine the only engine. .

Maybe the best summary is: ps showed new games you can play this next year if you buy a whole new platform... They look a little prettier. Ms showed games you can play in 2 years, regardless of if you buy a new platform. Some will look prettier than others. Sony will still have more studios at the end of the day.... But everybody knows that already.

NEStalgia

Wargoose

@NEStalgia I think what the presentations showed is the gap has narrowed between Microsoft and Sony. Halo was still the centrepiece that propped up Microsoft, but that's like Nintendo leading with Mario.

The interesting thing is the acquisition of Ninja Theory and Obsidian. Those are some big time wins in my eyes, Fallout New Vegas and Enslaved are two of my favourite games. In the previous gen it was clear Sony and Nintendo had the edge in terms of studios. Now its not so black and white. I'm really not sure which one I'll buy.

I think Sony marketed the features better, showing the super fast load times in ratchet and clank for example. The Microsoft presentation showed more interesting games in my opinion.

Wargoose

redd214

I've watched the Xbox showcase 2 times now and I come away with the same conclusion. MS is providing unparalleled value with Gamepass, not even close, but there is little to no reason to spring for a XSeX anytime soon. Obviously this comes down to tastes but outside of Halo and the short Forza teaser, nothing else shown in the other 45+ minutes was of interest. Contrast that to the PS5 show and I think my final count was 10 games showed that I absolutely want to play.

MS seems more keen on selling their service whereas Sony is trying to sell you a box. Neither is right or wrong just vastly different in my opinion. They'll get 15 bucks from me here a couple times a year to play Forza or Halo or Gears for a month, but their showcase did nothing to make their new system seem like a must purchase, especially when factoring in Xcloud. Even my neighbor whose a BIG Xbox guy said he sees no reason to upgrade anytime in the next couple years. He was downright dejected after watching it lol.

We'll have to wait and see which strategy is more popular in the long run.

redd214

BruceCM

A lot of it does depend when the games are out... And just how much difference there'd be playing them on Series X
Perhaps they want to be cautious with release dates until they're sure about them? Hardly means none of them will be out in the next year

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Octane

It'll be interesting how much more either company have left to reveal, because I'm sure both will do another presentation next month or so.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic