Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 11,921 to 11,940 of 12,110

Octane

@Switchcraft Sony won't be at E3, mainly because they're preparing to launch the PS5, and they already have got most of the remaining big games announced for PS4. Holiday 2020; I'm 99% sure. Maybe early next year, but that's looking less and less likely as the days are passing.

Octane

FullbringIchigo

@Switchcraft apparently it is backwards compatible, at least with PS4 games

now as for other PS systems RUMOUR is that it will be but i would take that with a pinch of salt

How do we build a better future?

by taking note of the mistakes of the past and not repeating them instead of wrapping it up and pretending it was better than it actually was, like people seem to do now a days

the past was horrible but if we ignore it we are doomed to repeat it

redd214

@Switchcraft the Pro isn't not obnoxiously loud at all. I don't have an X to compare it to, however it's hardly noticeable unless you're actively listening for it for some reason. If you aren't playing your games on mute or have your head pressed against it while playing, the fan shouldn't be an issue.

Wipeout and GTS are both fantastic and really sing on the Pro with an HDR TV!

redd214

NEStalgia

@FullbringIchigo Pro outputs 4k for video. "Fake" 4k for games.

@Switchcraft If you're looking for a media box that also plays games, you want X1X. Quieter, cooler, more robust hardware, with a boatload of media features (recall the "XBox One - All in One" slogan that actually got them in hot water at launch - it was intended as a media center. With PS4 Sony dialed back on media features quite heavily since the PS3 era, very purposefully. Like Switch they wanted to focus on being a gaming-first machine rather than something that a lot of people buy as a media box, and don't buy enough games. So PS3, and X1 are media centers. Switch and PS4 are gaming devices that also do some media.

However, if you're into the exclusives Sony has, there's only one choice, of course. From your list, yeah, Yakuza, WipEout are definitely in the PS4 category. Do we know for sure FFVIIR is exclusive? I don't recall that being confirmed yet. You won't care about Gran Turismo if you go X1, you gain Forza and lose GT...an even trade or an upgrade depending on who you ask, and Forza is the one exclusive series XBox really has that's notable at this point (Halo and Gears are ok, but Forza's their only true system seller.) Most of the heavy hitters for Playstation didn't actually make your list.... And Switch is going to be the definitive DQXI version.

And indeed PS5 should be probably 2020, and is confirmed backward compatible, though we don't know it's media features yet. So that's worth considering. We know we won't hear a thing about it until at least sept/oct, maybe later. I expect either a Mar 2020 or Holiday 2020 release.

We won't likely hear anything about XBox Two or whatever it will be called until Sony announces, since there's no point for MS to say anything until Sony reveals their hand, so they can try to one-up them. Right how they have the more powerful platform so they can wait for Sony who is forced into the first move. It depends how fast you want it versus waiting 1-1.5 years.

NEStalgia

FullbringIchigo

@NEStalgia it's still 4K it's just it uses software to do it instead of raw power like the X does

How do we build a better future?

by taking note of the mistakes of the past and not repeating them instead of wrapping it up and pretending it was better than it actually was, like people seem to do now a days

the past was horrible but if we ignore it we are doomed to repeat it

redd214

@NEStalgia I think it's MS who would be "forced" into making the move first if for no other reason than the fact they're so far behind this gen imo.

As for FF7R, I'm pretty sure all that's been said is that is coming to Playstation first, so timed exclusivity most likely.

redd214

Ralizah

Been playing Furi on PS4. One of my PS+ freebies.

I'm sorry I ignored this game until now. It's an absolutely stellar action game. The art style is strong and simple, with a neat cel-shaded look that makes it really pop on an HD screen. Gameplay is challenging but approachable: the combat is less hack'n'slash or character action and more rhythm and pattern-based, like Punch-Out. There's also segments that approximate the gameplay of danmaku shmups, where you're teleporting around and weaving between thick blankets of lasers and energy bullets.

The narrative approach is minimalistic but engaging. You play as a mysterious prisoner in a space prison who is fighting his way out, and you discover more about what happened to this world as you fight your way through various bosses on your way back down to the planet below. Your companion is a mysterious man in a purple rabbit suit. Think Ravio from ALBW if you spliced him with Frank the Rabbit from Donnie Darko.

I'm on the fourth boss now. He's pretty manageable until his last phase, which... well, let's just say "bullet hell" games are called that for a reason.

Ralizah

Octane

@NEStalgia If it is March 2020, we would've seen an increase in marketing in their financial forecast. There is none. A May or June release is silly, and by the time July rolls around, you may as well wait until the holiday season. So, holiday 2020 it seems. Plus, they've got to release a bunch of games first.

Octane

NEStalgia

@FullbringIchigo 4k rendering means individually rendering 3840 × 2160 unique pixels. PS4 Pro does not do that (for games.) X1X does do that (in a handful of select games.) What PS4 Pro does is render roughly half those pixels, alternating which half of adjacent pixels it renders, every other frame, then interpolate the remaining half based on what was in those pixels in the prior frame, calculated against the neighboring pixels in the current frame. While the end result can indeed be pretty good, even reasonably close, it's still a somewhat inaccurate, and therefore, less sharp end product than rendering all 8,294,400 individually every frame, and certain animation patterns can yield a visible artifacting. To the average consumer it may be splitting hairs if it's "4k" or "simulated 4k" but ultimately it's incorrect to state that the machine actually produces 4k. It TRANSMITS 8,294,400 pixels over HDMI which is how the marketing department can claim it's 4k. But not all 8,294,400 were actually uniquely rendered as the marketing may imply, in the same way a BD movie is filmed in 4k and on-disc in 4k.

Though BD is another matter since the video is actually compressed in a lossy format as well, MP4.

@redd214 I would probably abandon any hope of MS ever being successful in gaming if they were catastrophically stupid enough to say a thing before Sony goes. They can't one-up PS4 right now. They already have the more powerful hardware right now. No hardware reveal will give them an advantage, long-term. If they announce now, Sony can do what Sony has done to every console since forever, by going last, and undercut price, overcut performance, or both. They'd be incomprehensibly stupid if they were to play right into the same Sony strategy that hurt Saturn, Dreamcast, and X1. Sure they'd get that "extra 6 months of sales" going first, but that seldom translates into a long-term win. The smart, but slower game, would be wait for Sony to do its thing while selling the "most powerful hardware" shtick on an already losing platform (MS can take the short term losses for the long term game easily) They can focus on cloud services and XCloud while Sony's still lacking infrastructure to move in that direction. And then after Sony has to do their unveiling, MS can come out with "cheaper and more powerful" or "more expensive and more premium" and try to undercut. I fully expect them to go with that methodology. MS is in a unique position as a severely losing underdog that could easily spend their rival three ways to Sunday to overtake them long term. I see them smartly playing a very long term strategy unlike under Matrick the Mad.

Ultimatley I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't like Sony's attitude and dominance, but a larger pivot to one of the "big 4" tech giants controlling gaming and focusing on cloud subscriptions makes me almost relish the current state. However, either way I do see that as the logical strategy for them.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Octane It's funny, they really didn't want to keep PS4 as long as PS3, but it's working out that way anyway. Which is fine by me! I have a 10 year backlog between my 3 systems....

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia playing the most powerful card really hasn't benefited them very much in terms of sales but ok. They've essentially had more robust hardware for what 3 almost 4 years now and we see how it's played out. For me personally it doesn't move the needle even a little. Having more/arguably better exclusives on a slightly weaker box far FAR outweighs being the king of the power hill at least to me and apparently many others. We will see what happens at E3!

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 "Most powerful" helped them with OG XBox. They didn't have it for X360 (though ironically not being weirdly powerful is what helped them with easy architecture.), and, not having it, hurt them with X1. Remember, at launch, PS4 was easily sold as the most powerful, and cheaper. "Not spyware that controls your games with a creepy camera watching you" was icing on the cake. But X1 being "the 900p console" next to 1080p PS4 really contributed to the damages. X1X was much too late to turn around the brand crisis of X1 against PS4, but it acts as a placeholder and statement that their brand is about pushing power (for better or worse....so was GameCube ) For PS5 vs X2, and brand image, it's not going to be about them getting more sales by being the most powerful, it's about them no longer losing sales for being less powerful or it will be about highlighting being much cheaper despite being weaker. Which is why they need to wait for Sony to go first and put their foot in it with a price and performance level. Sony has won so many gens simply by going last and adapting their message to counter the competition. This time MS is the best position of not needing to go first. And trying to force their hand probably plays into Sony's current secrecy and delayed rollout as well. Everyone wants to announce last.

We'll see at E3. But I'll say this. If MS actually announces new hardware at E3, without waiting for Sony to make the move, and gives Sony up to a year to either outpower or underprice them, I'll just declare it in June, Sony Wins Gen 9. I don't need to wait for 2028 for that answer.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia alright, well having the most powerful has not once even a little bit swayed my purchasing habits in 20+ years of buying my own consoles, more of a forum talking point imo. I remember being pretty vocal this gen about the fact that the whole 900p/1080p thing was very insignificant and useless to even get upset over. Games/controllers/evn trophies etc are more important than having a box that runs better benchmarks lol. I still think MS moves first but we can certainly agree to disagree

redd214

Switchcraft

Thanks for your inputs, guys. I have decided to wait for the PS5. I am sure that if I buy a PS4 Pro now, I will regret it next year. I’m not somebody who always needs the newest tech (still have a PS3, d’uh) but I like to make worthwhile investments.

So for now I will continue to game on Switch and burnout my PS3 vor BDs.
Cheers!

Gameplay matters.

redd214

Some minor next gen info from a corporate meeting apparently

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@redd214 It sounds like all 3 (Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft) believe that game streaming via the cloud is the future but only Microsoft has the infrastructure to do it so Microsoft's helping Sony and Nintendo not get left behind by Google and whatever other giant corporations joins the battle (like Amazon and Apple).

Looks like neighboring cities cooperating to defend against a foreign invasion.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magician

I looking forward to playing Borderlands 3 with friends, but after that I'm not sure there's much else I'll be buying on PS4. Anything that gets released on PS4 early in 2020 will probably be a cross-generational game you can play on PS5 later in the year.

Switch Physical Collection - 350 games (as of June 24th, 2019)
Currently playing: Okami HD (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

MsJubilee

Wow that Nioh 2 alpha trailer looked so slick and sexy. Can't wait for it to be released, this makes me want to finish the first one which i'm extremely close to beating(but i rage quit the game months ago).

I've died,there is no more me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Grumblevolcano

Death Stranding news on May 29th.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic