Forums

Topic: The Megami Tensei Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,353

TheFrenchiestFry

@Sunsy The game actually gets considerably easier from Tokyo onwards regardless of if you're overlevelled or not imo

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Sunsy

@TheFrenchiestFry Will admit, it is an interesting choice to make some of the toughest battles early on, but I'll see how that turns out as I continue playing. Whether it gets easier or not for me, I'm really having a great time with this entry so far.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

TheFrenchiestFry

@Slowdive Well this is quite the step up from the "teasers for teasers for trailers" method that Atlus has been using as of late with Persona 5 Royal and Scramble

TheFrenchiestFry

Aozz101x

Slowdive wrote:

Within the next 24 hours a video will be presented below about Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne | HD Remaster:

so happy that dante is coming back to in the remastered version of SMT III

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

TheFrenchiestFry

YES ATLUS
SAY THE MEME ATLUS

TheFrenchiestFry

JoeDiddley

I admire the DMC games and I haven’t played a Raidou game yet, but I’m still more hyped to play as Raidou I think. I love 1920s stuff and his whole style. It’s good to have the option of both for replayability (even if the inclusion I hear is minor either way).

I’m on the 7th palace now for Persona 5, jeez this is a long game. Royal must be really long. I know other Persona games are long too, but they zipped by for me. Again it’s probably because I can only play on the tv so I can’t binge.

It feels a bit like a great tv series where everything starts getting resolved in the penultimate episode, so the final one isn’t as crazy. But I guess I don’t know that yet as I’ve avoided spoiling myself. I want it to wrap up now though (even though I know I’m not at the end yet). Finishing before my family vacation next Friday would be nice.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Ralizah

@JoeDiddley Ditto on Raidou. Dante showing up in Nocturne feels like a celebrity guest cameo. Not my style.

And yeah, I'm sure P5 Royal is incredibly long. They tacked on an entire semester to this game, and my first playthrough of the vanilla version still took me 115 hours.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Heh, I'm glad they've got Dante available for those that want him but I'm not bothered about it .... Bayonetta should get a cameo, though! I'd buy her as dlc

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Losermagnet

I'm gonna be a bit of a curmudgeon and say I don't want any special guest stars in Nocturne. The games should be insular and weird. It took me out of it when i'd just gotten out of the hospital in Nocturne only to be greeted by the game going "hey kids, check it out - it's Dante!"

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JoeDiddley Royal is probably about 30 hours longer than the base game taking into account the third semester basically serving as a new story+ kind of thing

I'm also more interested in Raidou due to the fact this is the first time Chronicle Edition has been made available to the West

@Ralizah, @Losermagnet
Well to an extent I do understand why the Dante thing was done because it was supposed to be a favor from Capcom for Kaneko coming on board to design the devil triggers for Dante and Vergil in DMC3, so in a way it's just a memento for their positive working relationship. I do get the sentiment that he feels like an obligatory guest star though.

TheFrenchiestFry

Losermagnet

@TheFrenchiestFry thats fair. I didn't know the reason behind it so it kind of felt like it was trying to affiliate itself with a more popular franchise.

Persona 5 Royal really upset me when I found out you had to do specific things to get the extra semester. My main save file was past the point of no return when i found out. Luckily I had a save from an in-game month earlier and I was able to meet the requirements. I didn't have it in me to redo the palace I'd just done though, so the game is sitting in a corner right now thinking about what it did.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Alex90

Although I do not comment on this thread, due to not knowing how to think in English, I am happy that Megami Tensei is being recognized more.
I'm currently playing Persona 4 Golden on the PC, waiting for more ports to be made. Unfortunately, Switch in my country is very expensive, at least 2 minimum wages (this in the gray market, officially 3 minimum wages), so I gave up on the dream of having a Switch.
I have played all available 3DS MegaTen games, except PQ2. One thing I want to mention is that I was so thrilled to be playing SMT IV: A after years of playing PS2 games. In the first run, it was more hype than anything. I didn't realize how much "Persona-like" the story was, until NG +. I really want SMT to be SMT and Persona to be Persona, I am very afraid of this boom that Persona 5 is receiving maybe affect the experience of Shin Megami Tense V. I would like to know what french fries and Junko-chan are going to talk about on this topic . Will SMT be affected by a community that just wants more Persona games? Because I remember "professionals" who judged SMT IV as a Persona and gave bad reviews

Playing
(Via Steam/Steam Play):
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne HD Remaster
Disciples III Reincarnation

TheFrenchiestFry

@Alex90 You know for someone who claims to not be too fluent in English I have to say you're at least good at piecing it together in writing. I'd say SMT doesn't have to worry about getting affected by the Persona-only audience because they're not too vocal as of late. In fact I'm seeing a lot of positive reactions from both the Persona and Persona 5 subreddits, from people who are genuinely looking forward to finally getting into the mainline entries after having gotten accustomed to the general gameplay in Persona games. I wouldn't be too worried about people looking to boycott SMT V or Nocturne HD Remaster for not being a Persona game because even at first glance it's pretty obvious SMT is quite distinct both tonally and gameplay wise from what Persona offers, which is why they developed semi-adjunct fanbases in the first place.

TheFrenchiestFry

Alex90

@TheFrenchiestFry Well. considering I spent 20+ minutes to write that... I know the vocabulary, not too much of the grammatical stuff.
I am glad people want to try some mainline action, but boy... a whole generation facing off Matador without knowing the mechanics of SMT! Ooh boy, I expecting too much salty doods!
My friend did a marathon on Persona 4 Golden, the first Atlus game of him. He tell me he just began to use buffs/debuffs only when fighting Reapers... In mainline, buffs/debuffs are the real gods, like the Axiom/Great Will blessings

Playing
(Via Steam/Steam Play):
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne HD Remaster
Disciples III Reincarnation

Ralizah

@Alex90

Alex90 wrote:

french fries and Junko-chan

😂

You might not be a native speaker, but your English-language posts are certainly far more coherent than what a lot of native speakers of the language are able to produce. I wouldn't have pegged you as someone who can't even think in the language, so kudos.

I know a lot of mainline fans had mixed feelings about it, but I honestly didn't mind the more "Persona-esque" tone and cast of IV: A. The appeal of mainline, for me, is primarily in the themes and intricate gameplay mechanics. With that said, I do think it is important for SMT V, which will be an incredibly important moment for the series, to differentiate itself from other MegaTen properties, so I'm not unhappy that it looks like Atlus is opting for something that, tonally and setting-wise (the environment in the trailer sure looks like the vortex world), is more reminiscent of Nocturne.

I also think it'll help that the game is clearly an ambitious and big budget project for Atlus, and is releasing on home console hardware. I think it not being relegated to the handheld ghetto will help this entry pass through some of the psychological barriers people might have erected.

I don't know if people will take to it, but with Nintendo pushing it fairly prominently, with it releasing on the most popular system in the world, and with a simultaneous worldwide release, I feel like, if SMT is going to have a 'break out moment,' this'll be it.

Anyway, when IV came out, there was a pretty broad generational gap in awareness of and knowledge about the series in the West, so I expect that people will have their expectations a little more properly aligned when SMT V releases next year. Nocturne HD should also do a good job of consciousness-raising about the unique feel of mainline.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Also taking into consideration that the game will be on the fastest selling and most popular of the three consoles as of now, in addition to being a simultaneous worldwide launch unlike any other mainline or spinoff title, it's definitely going to benefit from increased general awareness and publicity, especially with Nocturne HD helping to ease any Persona player into mainline. Persona 4 and Nocturne were even on the same engine to my knowledge so it makes sense this would follow P4G on PC. IV was pretty held back just by being a handheld game but there's definitely a higher level of expectation and chatter surrounding this particular title that likely has a lot to do with it not just coming fresh off of Persona 5 Royal and P4G on PC, but also the platform it's on which will help it a lot

TheFrenchiestFry

JoeDiddley

I beat both Soul Hackers and then Persona 5 yesterday. That was a pretty good day.

I’m going away for 10 days on Friday and I’m probably taking my Vita with me to give Persona 2 Original Sin a try.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

TheFrenchiestFry

@JoeDiddley Lmfao Persona 2 Original Sin sounds like the best Divinity crossover of all time

It's Innocent Sin lol
Also yeah if you really dug Persona 5 you'll be able to get into Persona 2 no problem. Those games were actually the last in the mainline series to have the Negotiation system for acquiring Personas before P3 and 4 replaced that mechanic with the Shuffle Time minigame

TheFrenchiestFry

JoeDiddley

@TheFrenchiestFry how embarrassing 😊 That’s what staying up late playing SMT games does, obviously.

I’m looking forward to giving Persona 2 a try soon.

link3710

I'm in the middle of Persona 5 insanity, I can't put the game down. My first Persona title, but I'm glad to see that a lot of stuff that I heard was missing from the series (like contract negotiations) got added in. It's a whole lot of fun though, super addictive. Always had a feeling I'd like Persona if I actually had owned something it was on prior to the PS4.

Already got P4G to play afterward too (on PC of course).

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic