Forums

Topic: The Megami Tensei Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 1,353

TheFrenchiestFry

@Sunsy
1. Save often whenever you get the chance because you can save literally anywhere outside of dungeons (excluding certain story sensitive sequences from what I remember)
2. Grinding for levels will make things a lot easier for you because then you'll gain larger SP capacity in addition to more Macca (currency) after battle to buy equipment for your protagonist that will better increase their physical stats and damage endurance
3. Collect and fuse as many demons as humanly possible every time you level
4. Bosses are kind of trial and error so as with SJ you'll have to really experiment and try hitting them with different elemental skills until you find one that the boss is weak to though it can take a long time. This is why levelling up is super important as well so your SP gauge increases with your HP
5. Make sure one of your demons in your party has a Dia (healing) skill on hand. It will be useful as hell inside and outside of dungeons.
6. If you're inside of a domain of a specific demon that is unrelated to the story path there's a good chance you won't have a map on you since it's out of sequence, so just take the first branching path you see of the domain and follow it through to the end and you should be good
7. Get an App upgrade for an extra few demon slots so if a specific demon in your party is killed during battle it'll be a hell of a lot easier to sub another one in.

other than that you should be good if you managed to survive SJ as a first timer to the SMT series which is pretty impressive in of itself

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Sunsy

@TheFrenchiestFry Alright, thanks for the tips. Heh, I didn't finish Strange Journey yet. Mostly been playing it on and off for the past year, after finding a copy at a local store. I had the extra cash, so I decided to grab IV today.

Thanks again for the tips, going to start playing in a when I settle in for the night.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Sunsy

@Slowdive Thanks, already am! Will say, I'm liking the setting IV is taking place in so far.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

TheFrenchiestFry

@Sunsy Yeah I was always personally a fan of the feudal Japan-inspired setting of the Mikado Kingdom

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Slowdive I think I saw Matador's HD model for a split second in the opening

I am not ready to go through that again lol

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

I found SMT IV's Minotaur to be worse than Matador, personally, between that game's unbalanced smirk mechanic and the game's tendency to assign me Walter, who is legendarily bad in this fight.

I desperately want an updated port of IV that addresses its annoying QoL issues.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Slowdive It'll probably be less cursing and more profuse sweating coupled with one or two facepalms when I blank out randomly and forget what he's weak to

TheFrenchiestFry

Losermagnet

@TheFrenchiestFry Matador was bad but i had a harder time with Daisoujou

That, and the manikin sewer town where you fight Forneus EVERY SINGLE STEP you take in the water really tested my patience.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Losermagnet Daisoujou, Forneous and Thor were probably the unholy trinity for me although having to fight Lucifer on Hard for the true demon ending in addition to Matador was an experience to say the least

TheFrenchiestFry

KryptoniteKrunch

Man, Nocturne HD is looking good, that demon showcase got me even more hyped 😁

Can't wait to try SMT 3 for the first time next year. I've played all the 3DS entries except for SJ Redux, really like this series.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

TheFrenchiestFry

@KryptoniteKrunch Glad you enjoy the series! I'd also personally recommend giving Digital Devil Saga a shot if you get the chance and the Raidou duology on PS2 if you liked Soul Hackers

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Slowdive I'm personally never putting my Vita to rest. Not only is it a Persona machine for me but it's also where my Metal Gear and Final Fantasy stuff is, though P4G was one of my first games on it

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

My personal hope is that they remaster the PS2 and DS era SMT titles like Persona 3 FES on PC, as well as Raidou and Digital Devil Saga on Switch/PS4, and all the DS entries like Devil Survivor Overclocked and Strange Journey on Switch

If Persona ends up going multiplatform that'd be sick as well. Maybe P1/2 have a chance at actually not financially bombing

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Slowdive Honestly even if the Switch is portable, I still personally find my Vita a lot easier to carry around, and as someone about to start university the most I can see myself doing with my Switch is putting it in a bag. The Vita is a lot more pocketable by comparison and I've personally been using it a lot more as opposed to my Switch this year

My personal favortie titles on the system are Gravity Rush, LBP, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Persona 4 Golden, FFX/X-2 HD Remaster, WipeOut 2048, Tearaway, MGS HD Collection and Dragon's Crown

TheFrenchiestFry

Sunsy

I'm nine hours into SMT IV, and just beaten the Minotaur boss on my second try. First try, I had one demon with a move to exploit the weakness (I had a total of three party members to exploit its weakness), but not enough MP. Second try, I got it.

So far, I'm loving this one. The story so far had me on the edge of my seat and I just started the other day.

Edited on by Sunsy

JoeDiddley

Off topic I only picked up a Vita at Christmas and it’s very useful as a Persona and now also VN machine. I borrowed it from a friend to play Persona 4 then bought it from them.

I do find it more portable and comfortable for handheld play than my Switch. And the screen is beautiful.

I feel like I’m cheating on Switch, it’s still probably my favourite system - but there are a couple of games available on both I’ve bought on Vita: Disgaea 4, Undertale, Steins Gate.

It helps bolster my Vita library, and for any VNs it’s nice to keep them together. I’ll probably pick up VA-11 HALL-A on Vita rather than Switch too.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley

@Sunsy well done for beating on second try. I heard so much about this boss before I played the game that I was really over levelled by the time I got to him, and knew the weakness. That and I was having so much fun.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

TheFrenchiestFry

@JoeDiddley I used to have the OLED model but it broke after a few years so I got a Slim model with the cheaper LCD

The screen is still great and the colors look a tad more accurate without all the saturation. The reduction in screen quality also really helps the battery life. Both the original and Slim variants have excellent standby time

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

So recently I watched the Persona 5 anime for the first time

I haven't seen this much obscene product placement for Sony products since probably The Amazing Spider-Man 2

TheFrenchiestFry

Sunsy

So, I defeated Medusa in SMT IV.

The next location gave me chills. Finding out that the underground is actually Tokyo blew my mind. I was expecting a city when the team looked on, but didn't expect it to be a destroyed Tokyo. I saw no trailer or anything prior to this, so really like the surprise I got upon finding out what was underneath Naraku. I love this game!

@JoeDiddley Thanks and same here. I've been hearing how hard Minotaur was. Though I think I had a bit of a harder time with Medusa. Took a couple of tries, but eventually defeated her by having a leveled up demon teach the protagonist a much needed move.

Edited on by Sunsy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic