Forums

Topic: The Megami Tensei Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,353

jump

The only thing that bothers me about this thread is Persona and SMT are two different things in my head. I completely understand and agree the reasoning for Personas inclusions though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

@jump see I always considered them part of the same family. It doesn't really matter to me what we call the games when they all use the same source material. I guess since Megten is a series where the spinoffs vastly outnumber mainline entries I just think of them all being the same.

I think it's kind of funny that they dropped the 'Shin Megami Tensei' tag when releasing Persona 5. I've read that only western Persona games had it, so it must of been that they initially wanted to market it like it was part of that series. Then it got to be so popular on it's own that they took it off to avoid confusion.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

TheFrenchiestFry

@jump I understand the sentiment that they are different in terms of tone and characters, but I still fundamentally consider it a Megami Tensei series because it still uses the same general gameplay setup and the same exact demons as SMT. If Persona was a completely new IP seperate from that universe, there wouldn't be stuff like Devil Summoner references or Jack Frost walking around

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

Since it's looking like Sony is set to reveal more about the PS5 this month how long do y'all think it's gonna be until we get Persona 6 info?

I imagine next year is going to be about trying to push SMT Nocturne and SMTV out there but it is also the Persona series' 25th anniversary next year and it would perfectly line up with the one year gap between P4G's original release and P5's announcement considering it would've been a year since P5R came out worldwide.

I also imagine it'll be a cross gen PS4/PS5 game considering the series tradition of releasing mainline games very late into PlayStation console lifecycles. However I'm also not ruling out the possibility of a simultaneous PC release considering not only has that kind of become the norm with a lot of PS5 console exclusives but P4G has done incredibly well for Atlus not to consider it.

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry I honestly expect them to wait another year before announcing it this time after the disaster that was the length of P5's development. I think they'll use Persona ports like with P4G on Steam to keep the IP in people's heads, and wait longer before the next announcement. If we are to keep getting ports to Switch or PC, it might even be longer than a year.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 It looks like based on the scheduling of Catherine Classic and P4G's PC releases that they're aiming for at least one Atlus port a year so I'm willing to wager that P3FES is definitely next. The tricky ones here for me are P1 and the P2 games because SEGA for the longest time just viewed them as unprofitable and didn't even bother to acknowledge them outside of a Katsuya reference in P5. They didn't even put the characters in either Q game

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry Don't forget SMT III is another port landing this year (in JP at last, which we all know is what they care most about), so it's likely we might keep seeing more than one. Plus, they also developed the TMS#FE port, which may mean something or not when it comes to port timing.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 Oh I meant for PC not other platforms. They seem to have a track record of doing at least one PC port per year because last year was Catherine and this year was Persona 4 Golden. Considering how successful P4G became on Steam I don't think they'll do P5R just yet but since they seem keen on bringing other PS2 era SMT games like Nocturne I do think P3FES getting a Steam port would be fitting.

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Persona 6 will be built as a PS4 game if it releases within the next seven years, for sure.

I don't think we'll hear about a Persona 6 for quite a while, though. They still have more Persona 5 to milk. If nothing else, I wouldn't be surprised by the reveal of P5-themed fighting game. Or Persona 5 on Ice. Or whatever else they have planned. They really like their weird spinoff games.

It's still really weird that PC owners got OG Catherine instead of the Full Body edition.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah They couldn't have even waited until Full Body was out in the West lol

They released on PC like a month before FB came out in Japan. I'm still surprised the Switch got Full Body at all.

Honestly after P5S the only spinoff I can see them doing is an Arena game but that's pretty much it considering they fast tracked the Dancing spinoff already

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Kaneko's artstyle looks both amazing and uncanny at the same time it's kinda weird

TheFrenchiestFry

JoeDiddley

I’ve just accidentally doubled my SMT backlog, oops...

I realised I could create a US PS3 account to download the Raidou games as they are ridiculously expensive physically and very cheap digitally. But I forgot to go for an address with less tax, so my online gift card didn’t cover it.

My solution was to get another card and download Digital Devil Saga 2 (also much cheaper) and Eternal Punishment (US only) too.

I probably won’t get to playing these until next year as I want to play the Digital Devil Saga 1, Innocent Sin and Catherine Full Body first.

But at least I know I have them 😊

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

TheFrenchiestFry

@JoeDiddley I mean regardless of it being accidental or not the Raidou games are actually really good and probably among my personal favorite action RPGs

The soundtracks are also chef's kiss

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@JoeDiddley I really wish Sony had made the PS2 Classics lineup available for download on PS4. I have no idea what Nintendo/Sony have against Virtual Console services this gen.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Slowdive Well I should clarify. The art itself is great, but the in-game models look off by comparison. It's especially noticeable when they've been cleaned up to the extent they have in Nocturne's remaster. Everyone is on that mustache lip life

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah it sucks that the PS2 Classics lineup they did have this past gen was so limited. I thought at least P3FES and vanilla P4 would've been no brainers given how much of a sales giant P5 became. In fact it's actually still pretty surprising that P4G came to PC first before any sort of PS4 port/remaster.

TheFrenchiestFry

Losermagnet

@TheFrenchiestFry you are not wrong about the Raidou soundtracks. It's one of my favorite things about the first game (so far). Is there one composer behind most of the Megten series music?

TheFrenchiestFry

@Losermagnet Shoji Meguro is the composer who's done the most work for Megami Tensei, including stuff like mainline, Persona, Digital Devil Saga and Raidou. However other composers have contributed to various sub-series. Tamaki Asano and Kenji Ito composed Devil Survivor 1 and 2 respectively, Meguro himself worked with three other composers on Megami Ibonroku Persona, including Kenichi Tsuchiya, who himself composed the PS1 versions of the Persona 2 duology, as well as a few tracks on Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Catherine, Shin Megami Tensei IV, P3D and P5R.

TheFrenchiestFry

Losermagnet

@TheFrenchiestFry I'm impressed that it's largely the work of one person because the variety of music is fantastic. In Nocturne alone going from that crazy nu metal battle track with barking dogs(?) to the mystical 'Lady of the Fount' track blows my mind.

The music seems to work so well with the art direction and style of their games, it has me excited for what I haven't played yet.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Losermagnet Shoji Meguro definitely does for games what I've seen movie composers like John Williams, Danny Elfman and James Horner do for the films they work on. He's extremely adaptable to a specific tonal style that the game goes for. The fact that a game with a very hard rock influenced soundtrack like Nocturne was composed by a guy who went on to adapt his style to a genre like acid jazz in Persona 5 is very impressive, especially when it's all in the same franchise.

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic