Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 2,134

StarPoint

I’m finally upgrading my GPU from an RX 580 to a 3060ti! The 580 has been a champ for me and I’ve been able to play a lot of great games on it, but I’ve had it for a few years now and it’s definitely starting to show it’s age. Besides, I’ve really been wanting to play Spiderman Remastered, among a few higher-end games that my current GPU aren’t able to handle super well.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Rattler

Well i like more single player games, while my brother prefers more like online games like Roblox for example

Rattler

RR529

Wrapped up Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Collection tonight.

As someone who played the Door to Phantomile demo over & over again as a kid (on one of my cousin's PS1 demo discs), I'll say it felt good to finally properly explore these games, and they're pretty solid platformers, if nothing essential.

Both games are naturally pretty similar, but they both do enough of their own to make each worthwhile. Door to Phantomile goes hard on the Kirby esque aesthetic with the more chibi-like designs, and the levels in the latter half of the game have a dungeon like design ethos that the second game never quite commits to fully emulating aside from a level here & there. Meanwhile Lunatea's Veil feels like it's aiming at being a bit more "cool", with Klonoa appearing a bit older, the introduction of an extreme sport influence with the snow/surfboard levels (which are awesome I'll say), and heck even a couple of the game's levels take place in the middle of a warzone. I really liked how in spite of being "2D" platformers, the level designs in both games made fantastic use of the fact that they exist in a 3D space, with lots of twists & turns in the path, sometimes even doubling back over itself.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

skywake

@StarPoint
I'm kinda wondering at what point do I upgrade my 1660Ti. The new Radeon cards look promising but I'm not sure I use it enough to justify the cost just quite yet. I'm more than happy with 1080/1440p at ~60fps and occasionally 4K 60 in older titles

If I'm being honest my PC gaming time is mostly split between Civ and Beat Sabre ATM with the next most played being titles like Cars & Dirt. Not exactly demanding titles. I do want to give some of the Sony titles a spin though

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

StarPoint

@skywake The 1660ti is still a really solid card. Yeah, I'm hoping that AMD comes through with some more budget-friendly options. Those might be worth looking into.

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

BruceCM

Certainly sounds like it should do pretty well for most stuff, @Link-Hero ..... Let us know how it goes

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

RR529

Now that I'm done with Klonoa I've decided to jump into Pac Man World: Re-Pac.

Only cleared the first world so far, but I can definitely tell it got a much greater graphical glow up compared to either of the Klonoa games (both of those, even with the first game's graphics obviously being improved over the PS1 original, look like HD PS2 ports, while Re-Pac could pass as a legit PS4/Xbone game at a glance). Overall level design betrays it's true age though, as you can definitely tell it's from an era where they weren't quite sure how to elegantly make a 3D level flow (oddly I think it feels better to play with a d-pad compared to the analog stick), though that being said it's still pretty fun. Really like that it's avoiding the generic world/level themes (grasslands, desert, etc.) as well (Klonoa was great at this too), with the first world leaning hard into a pirate theme.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

F-ZeroX

I contemplated getting the Command & Conquer Remastered collection, because of the quality of life improvements. But then I read the AI is still dumb and my main gig used to be skirmish vs cpu, so I passed up. They did seem to do a lot of things right (including the price point) and it's gotten a lot of praise for it.

I'll stick to watching the occasional OpenRA match on Five Aces' channel. They rebelanced that one to prevent tank rush, so players need a more varied set of troops to combat each other and good micromanagement to go with that. Very hard to execute and juggle with all of the different tasks, but fun to watch. Especially players of that caliber.

Edited on by F-ZeroX

F-ZeroX

HotGoomba

Guys, I'm finally doing it. I'm biting the bullet.

I'm gonna get a gaming pc.

This is actually a bit exciting for me since I've been with consoles my whole life, so getting a gaming PC will help me get into a new world of gaming.

Although to be fair I'm mostly getting it so I can play more VR games. But still, cool. I can finally see why people have a hard on for Valve too, and I can make use of the few free Epic Games and Steam games I've claimed, so yay.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

StarPoint

HUGE Steam Winter sale for me this time. I picked up:

Jedi: Fallen Order
Risk of Rain 2
Nuclear Blaze
Guardians of the Galaxy
Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster

All for like $65 total. This'll keep me busy until FE Engage for sure.

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

HotGoomba

I'm gonna use the Steam sale and the Oculus sale to get me some good PCVR games.

Edited on by HotGoomba

Don't click on it.

JaxonH

I'm seriously debating getting the OneXplayer 2

Here's my thoughts.

PROS

• 65 Whr battery is more than 50% larger than the 40 Whr battery in SteamDeck. Considering battery life is THE #1 drawback that keeps me from playing Deck, this is a massive point in favor of the OXP2
  • AMD 6800U is 25% more efficient than what Deck uses, meaning less power draw and even more battery life
  • 8.4" 1200p screen (though I'd never go above 720p anyways for battery conservation)
  • Detachable Controllers and kickstand for tabletop mode like Switch
  • Gyroscope included for gyro aiming
  • Runs Windows for full game compatibility unlike Deck

CONS

• 848 gram weight is 27% heavier than SteamDeck, and SteamDeck is already 59% heavier than Switch OLED. In fact, OXP2 is almost exactly twice the weight of Switch OLED.
  • Price for 2TB model with 16GB RAM is $1100. The 32GB RAM model is $1300, but I feel that's $200 wasted as Deck uses 16 GB RAM and works just fine. Still, $1100 is a lot. Total cost with controller grip, magnetic keyboard, stylus and case is $1226 shipped.
  • Detachable controllers do NOT work without a grip, so no split joycon gaming and you must always carry the grip with if you want to play tabletop.
  • Said grip is not included and costs and extra, and doesn't fit in the case which also costs extra. It also doesn't have a gyroscope which kind of makes tabletop pointless for many games.
  • Comes with Windows 11 which... let's just say I'd prefer Win 10
  • No 40 fps gaming due to screen not being 40 Hz compatible like SteamDeck and GPD Win 4.

ANALYSIS

A heavy device at a significant cost, but, a device that would finally address battery life and game compatibility. Included tabletop functionality is great, but restrictions such as requiring a grip that can't fit in the case to work, and no gyro aiming with detached grip controller, take the wind out of that feature's sails. Also, no 40 fps gaming sucks, as it's a perfect compromise to get noticeable more fluid motion at a negligible cost of additional battery drain. Even so, the nice, hefty battery and full game compatibility is quite tempting...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

I did it. I hit the motherlode after hours of research.

Best Solution

• SteamDeck + Deckmate + 150 gram Ultra-lightweight 37 Whr Portable Battery
  • Total Weight = 819 grams (669g Deck + 150g Battery)
  • Total Battery = 77 Whr (40 Whr Deck + 37 Whr Battery)
  • Large size

Untitled

Untitled

Alternatives

• OneXPlayer 2
  • Total Weight = 848 grams
  • Total Battery = 67 Whr
  • Large size

Untitled

• GPD Win 4
  • Total Battery = 47 Whr
  • Total Weight = 570 grams
  • Small size

Untitled

• AyaNeo 2
  • Total Battery = 680 grams
  • Total Weight = 50 Whr
  • Large size

Untitled

All offer quality gyro aiming (finally- I remember begging GPD to add gyro back in Win2 era, looks like it's finally become standardized), but AyaNeo2 has two gyroscopes- one in the body and one in the right controller side. All run on the AMD 6800U and all offer HALL sensor analogs except the Win4, which uses standard Alps.

The thing is, Battery life is CRUCIAL. And while the 6800U does outperform the Steamdeck, it only does so when running games at a TDP of 15W or higher (meaning Total power draw of around 24W or more). Even around 50 Whr of Battery, that's only 2 hrs! The OneXPlayer 2 is the only device to solve this issue, but it comes at an unforgivable cost of 848 grams.

Let me tell you. Switch is 420 something grams. Deck is like 670 grams. It's heavier for sure, but it's just light enough to not be a problem. Any heavier though, and it does become a problem.

Best solution is stick with the Deck, but buy a Deck Mate for $30 and this 150 gram ultra-light portable battery (its the lightest BY FAR I could find on Amazon after searching 50+ listings), and the total weight still comes out 30 grams shy of the One X player 2. Ya, it's heavy. But it's still lighter than the OXP2 and offers more than 10 Whr extra. And is detachable. You don't have to have the Battery attached to the deckmate all the time. Put it on as needed, remove when done.

That's a far better solution than spending $1300 on a device that's 27% heavier than the Deck.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

HotGoomba

@JaxonH I am impressed and terrifed from all your research.

Don't click on it.

JaxonH

@HotGoomba
There's so many options now in the PC handheld space. Aside from SteamDeck, there are 3 main competing handhelds releasing soon that have IndieGogo backing as we speak. AyaNeo 2, GPD Win 4 and OneXplayer 2. All 3 use 6800U and offer similar performance.

But man, I just wasted 3 hrs trying to get Dolphin Emulator to work on SteamDeck and for the life of me I can't. Controller inputs won't register when mapping controls. I give up... It ain't worth it. I'm DONE messing with it.

And this is where Windows based handhelds shine. They won't have these kinds of problems setting up Dolphin. I just... don't care that much anymore. I used to really really want to play GameCube and Wii handheld, and I can on my Win 2, but no gyro aiming. The dream was always PrimeHack on handheld with gyro.

But at this point... screw it. I'll wait for the inevitable Switch remaster. Life is too short to waste it away fumbling around with this crap.

And I'm not gonna blow $1300 to play Metroid Prime handheld with gyro and still have to mess with setting it up. I'll stick with Switch and official Steam games on Deck.

Ralizah

@JaxonH I usually enjoy setting up emulators on new computers, but being a complete Linux noob, I dunno how difficult it'll be for me to fiddle with it on the Deck. And I'm certainly not going to bother with putting Windows on it.

I anticipated owning one of these by now (and probably would have if there hadn't still been a half year delay when I initially ordered one), but I've been so happy with my SWOLED that I think I'll just wait for Valve to iterate on this design a bit. They've mentioned releasing new hardware with a better screen and superior battery life, so that's probably worth waiting for. No point in grabbing one of these when I'm still knee-deep in unplayed 3DS and Switch games.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

skywake

Have done my annual buying of game on PC during sales that I probably won't end up playing. Although knowing how often I end up not playing them I restrained myself to just 1. Horizon Zero Dawn..... and I think I might actually beat this one instead of just reverting back to Beat Sabre, Dirt and Civ

What might also help in that regard. I intend to pick up an OLED TV this week and then set up a proper home theatre/gaming room. The LG CS 55" is currently $1100AU off so $1600AU (~$1000US). With all the fun stuff of OLED but also 20-120Hz VRR range. I suspect Horizon is a pretty enough game to take advantage of said shiny new toy

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@Ralizah
For sure. I don't "need" the Deck, and as is can't keep up with all my Switch games. But sometimes I feel like playing some Gears 5, some Halo Infinite, some FFVII Remake, etc.

And man, lemme tell ya. Halo Infinite on Deck is a dream. Campaign, obviously. I don't mess with MP. It looks insanely good, gets 2.5 - 3 hrs battery life (that's better than a lot of heavy games like God of War and Spiderman- pretty much any Sony title is gonna be 1.5 - 2 hrs).

But it's the gyro aiming that elevates it. Never in my life have I used gyro that felt so perfectly responsive. So responsive, it literally feels like a mouse. Not "almost" like a mouse. It's exactly like a mouse. Zero drift no matter how crazy with it you get. Zero noise for granular movement. Instant 1:1 response with no perceptible latency. It's my new benchmark for gyro aiming. All other gyro aiming will now be compared to Halo Infinite on Deck.

And tbh, Gears 5 has pretty great gyro too. Nearly just as good. I think gyro just feels best with FPS. In Halo I set it to activate when my thumb is on the analog. Whereas in Gears, I set it to only activate when aiming down sights

I'm starting to realize how much I love Xbox exclusives. I've never felt this way about Sony exclusives. They just don't do it for me. But Gears 5 and Halo Infinite? I think they're my new favorite 3rd person and 1st person shooters. I was already 10+ hours into Gears 5, but it's been a while since I played. But I'd never actually tried Halo Infinite until today. I'm blown away at how good it is in every respect- gameplay, graphics, gyro aiming, story... it's got it all.

Ralizah

@JaxonH I've never been able to get into most of Microsoft's exclusives, unfortunately. Gears 1 was great (I'd go so far as to say it approaches action-horror territory at times), but the series kind of turned into a big, dumb action vehicle after that. At least on the 360. Never got the newer ones. Also REALLY loved the Viva Pinata games, but those unfortunately never got PC ports, afaik. I tried a few of their newer games when I was demo'ing Game Pass, but... eh.

Sony blockbusters are great... in moderation. Once every year or two, I enjoy playing one of their ultra polished cinematic adventure games. In 2021, it was God of War. Next year, it'll likely be Spider-Man. That's about my limit for those sorts of games, though. And probably for Western AAA fare in general, if I'm being honest. Otherwise, I crave my AA Japanese games: the sort of stuff I grew up playing on PS1/PS2/GameCube/etc.

Steam Deck is like Steam on PC where you can configure pretty much anything to have gyro controls, right?

Despite its advanced capabilities, I predict most of the games I play on the Deck won't be entirely dissimilar from Switch games. Just... whatever games that never enjoyed Nintendo ports, for whatever reason. Maybe stuff like Tales of Arise and the next Monster Hunter if they don't come to the successor. I should probably play MH World at some point as well. And Soul Hackers 2. Resident Evil 7/8/etc. Final Fantasy VII Remake/Rebirth.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I don't dislike Sony's 1st party games. They're all very well made, incredibly polished and have solid gameplay- not always great, super interesting gameplay, but never bad. And sometimes they do have killer gameplay (Spiderman).

And up until recently, I would have agreed 100% about not being into MS exclusives. But Gears 5 campaign and Halo Infinite campaign... they're seriously good. Idk how cheesy the ones were on 360- never played them. But Gears 5? It's pure fire. It really is that good. In all respects- story, dialog, voice acting, gameplay, gyro aiming, all of it. And provides a good challenge for me on the Easy difficulty. Maybe it's aim assist and ppl who live and breath shooters that makes "Easy" seem easy to others, but as someone who doesn't play the genre regularly, and doesn't rely on aim assist but raw skill with gyro, it's perfect. I die somewhat frequently but the generous checkpoint system and fast load times ensure you're right back in giving it another go.

Same for Halo Infinite. I can't believe I slept on this game for so long. Holding onto my belief Master Chief Collection was the better game to play. I was so wrong. I've always enjoyed a bit of Halo with gyro from time to time. But Infinite is the first one that grabbed me, in the same way Doom Eternal grabbed me. It's upper echelon stuff.

But ya, most games I play are similar to stuff I play on Switch. In fact, Deck is especially great for those games because they get reasonable battery life.

With Deckmate adding slots for spare micro-SD and hot swapping supported, I have a 500 GB SSD model with 1 TB card and hot swap to another 1 TB card. Total of 2.5 TB of games.

• Alan Wake (original)
  • Alan Wake American Nightmare (original)
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • CoD Advanced Warfare
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Cyberpunk
  • DMC5
  • DMC Reboot
  • DOOM
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • FFVII Remake
  • Gears 5
  • Gears Tactics
  • God of War
  • Halo Infinite
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Kena Bridge of Spirits
  • Trails of Cold Steel
  • Life Is Strange Remastered
  • Life Is Strange True Colors
  • Spiderman Remastered
  • Spiderman Miles Morales
  • Mass Effext Legendary Edition
  • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
  • MGSV Ground Zeroes
  • MGSV Phantom Pain
  • MH Rise Sunbreak
  • MH Stories 2
  • MH World Iceborn
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • Nier Replicant
  • Rayman Origins
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Sniper Elite 5
  • Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Trials Fusion
  • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection
  • The Witcher III Wild Hunt
  • Wolfenstein The New Order
  • Wolfenstein The Old Blood
  • Wolfenstein II
  • Y's IX

Some games, like Bioshock Infinite and Dragon's Dogma, I wanted on Deck because Switch version doesn't have gyro aiming. Others, like Ni No Kuni 2, Alan Wake and Y's IX, had performance issues on Switch. Others just take a bigger downgrade on Switch like Witcher III, DOOM, DOOM Eternal, Life Is Strange games and Wolfenstein II. While Monster Hunter, I'm just a diehard fan and want it on both devices.

Many of these games are similar to what I play on Switch. But there are some exceptions such as a few big Sony 1st party, few big Xbox 1st party and a few big AAA 3rd party. I like the occasional Call of Duty campaign, and I haven't purchased Modern Warfare 2 yet, and only had room for one, so Advanced Warfare was my pick. Too bad Titanfall 2 doesn't work, or Trails of Cold Steel 2, or Trials Rising. Would have loved to have those on Deck.

I tried Tales of Arise... wasn't impressed. Lost interest in Soul Hackers 2. But the RE games run great. Even though mouse gyro is limited to when standing still like the PS5 release. Deleted RE2 Remake to make room for RE4 Remake. Never liked being chased the whole game.

Monster Hunter World though? Muah! 3 hrs battery life, running 40 fps on low-medium-ish settings. 40 fps is a massive breakthrough. The Quick Access panel has a special button you can press, and it allows you to change refresh rate of the screen, and just above it the framerate lock. Set to 40 Hz and 40 fps cap, with 60 cap in game (otherwise a 30 cap in game would override it), and you get 60 fps like fluidity for the cost of just 1 - 1.5 Watts of extra power draw. Whereas bumping up to 60 fps costs 5 - 6 Watts of extra power draw. I can run MH World at an average power draw of 13-14 Watts. TOTAL. With a 40 Whr battery, pulling 13.333 Watts gets you 3 hrs. Whereas games like Spiderman or God of War, even at 30 fps on lowest settings, never run below 20 Watts, which = 2 hrs battery. Gears 5 and Halo Infinite both run at 14 - 15 Watts total. So 2.5 - 2.75 hrs battery life.

Just realizing how good Gears 5 is, and Gears Tactics, and Halo Infinite, and the Ori games, and even though I'm not too big into racers, Forza Horizon 5 is peak arcade racing... Xbox doesn't have much, but what they do have, I love. They're much more gameplay 1st, story 2nd, while Sony games feel like they're story 1st, gameplay 2nd. Xbox story isn't bad, just like Sony gameplay isn't bad. But you can tell the difference.

There's also no way to fit everything on Deck, even at 2.5 TB, so having Switch as the base, default platform is good. Any games that are on Switch and good ports with gyro if applicable, I play on Switch rather than Deck. So while I have like 50 games on Deck, there's like 300+ on Switch. Persona 5 Royal, Nier Automata, Crisis Core FFVII, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, etc. OLED looks better, it's lighter and tabletop is super useful.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic