Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 2,134

BruceCM

They'll usually put them in the 'leaving soon' awhile before they do, @Xyphon22 .... No sign of that for Octopath at the moment but it is half price on Steam in the current sales anyway

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Pizzamorg

I am now on the final chapter of Like a Dragon, beating the second infamous boss on my first go around (although I had a lot more trouble this time as I didn't do like a week's grinding for it this time lol). Just basically used Nanba and Saeko to keep everyone topped up and chipped away with Ichiban and Zhoa until it was over.

This is one long ass game and I think I'll be both glad to be done and feel a hole in my life when it is over. It has incredible characters and performances, some really epic moments but a lot of the story is just kinda dull and almost every story beat is dragged out way longer than it ever needed to be. It is also just generally super poorly paced, with multiple difficulty spikes that I am sure forced people to abandon the game, when probably so many bounce off in the first place like I once did due to the insanely lopsided balance between cutscene and gameplay.

I played the opening of Yakuza 0 in prep for life after Like a Dragon. It is a pretty big step down in so many ways from Like a Dragon, so it is going to take a while to get used to. The real time combat is also awful. I eventually just stuck it on easy and enjoyed it for its silliness, but if you want like an engaging combat system to really push against this ain't it. At least the turn-based combat in LAD is actually refined enough for me to want to actually engage with its systems. On higher difficulties Yakuza 0 is simply too demanding when the combat is that sloppy.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

ruzuyu

Just finished all the XBC games consecutively on my Switch and now I feel like I have to take a break from Switch and from RPG games. So I've been looking for an FPS game to play on PC.. Any suggestions? Was thinking about grabbing something on a sale but not sure what to get. I'm open to any kind of quality FPS game suggestions that can keep me busy for a long time.

ruzuyu

Grumblevolcano

Sony Latin America announced Sackboy for PC:

October 27th release date which is only 8 days after Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection PC release date. With Miles Morales coming this Fall, TLoU Part 1 coming to PC soon after its PS5 release and the Returnal rumours it appears that the rest of the year will be very packed with Sony 1st party games on PC.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Pizzamorg

I know I am late, but I finished Inscryption over last weekend and my God. What an experience, boy howdy. Like I am sure if you looked at it purely mechanically there'd be much to pick at, but this was just a truly transcendent experience unlike anything else. Just a truly special, landmark, achievement for gaming.

Pizzamorg

I should probs be playing 2018's God of War in prep for the new one, but I am just not enjoying it in the slightest if I am being honest. Ended up taking a break to put in a few more hours into Yakuza 0 and man, I am just enjoying this so much more.

Once you get used to RGG's quirks, and their love for really long cutscenes, there is just so much to admire in their games. The deft juggling of disparate tones, the cinematic elements, the pure anime moments, the way they make the most mundane ***** seem like the most fantastical idea ever imagined. It is just truly magic stuff.

The game hasn't exactly aged with grace visually - it isn't an ugly game, exactly, but for some reason Kamurocho has almost no draw distance and is a mostly blurry mess. But the game stands up better in cutscenes and enclosed environments. Plus, characters are so strongly written and performed, some lower res textures and maybe slightly dated character models/facial animations stop mattering after a while.

The game is less fun when you have to actually play it, admittedly, but it isn't horrible. The game lacks a lot of stuff you take for granted in Like a Dragon, like I would have said they were a given not QoL stuff before, but I guess they are as they are absent here. Things like 0 having only manual saves, no way to compare equipment at shops, a map where you can't mark anything on and them forcing you to find stuff by just sorta running around the map rather than just telling you where to go. I know some people like this stuff, and this for sure should be an option for those who do. But the fact there isn't the option to enable markers hurts the pacing of my experience, as to me aimless running around is neither fun nor rewarding and just feels like needless padding.

The combat is also pure slop bucket, you have all these different styles which is insanely overwhelming to begin with, but outside of the odd difficulty spike with bosses (mostly through cheap design choices like having them be able to just block all attacks, or having their animations override yours) the game hasn't been that difficult, so I've been able to mostly just stick with one style, not really think about and just sorta mash buttons.

I'd argue the stylish context sensitive heat action moves/finishers and the ludicrousness of the environmental weapons you can make use of sorta become the shoulders that carry the combat. You aren't going to get a refined experience where you can really push against it, like with say Ghost of Tsushima or a Fromsoft game, but it becomes so utterly ridiculous at times you can't help but have an absolute blast anyway. Had it been harder or been more demanding on you being really considerate and precise with your inputs, I think this could have become extremely frustrating.

As a side dish, I have also been playing some Steam demos. I played one for an indie called Capes. This sorta gives you a taste maybe as to what Midnight Suns would be like. It deffo has some indie jank to it, but it actually holds a lot of promise. I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

Next up was Thirsty Suitors, and this was just insane. It has parts of like Scott Pilgrim, Life is Strange True Colours and Yakuza Like a Dragon. This is a million percent my jam. The artstyle is gorgeous.

The final title was Alina of the Arena. This is a pure Slay the Spire knock off, but I guess that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Slay the Spire is probably the one roguelike loop I’ve found I actually enjoy, excluding Inscryption’s end game mode, which I guess is very Slay the Spire too.

RR529

Started up Toem the other night. Working through the second main area (the port town) & it's a delight. After pumping nearly 150 hours into XC3, it's very refreshing to jump into something a lot more brisk & breezy.

It has great art direction, but while It's not constant, there seems to be a screen tearing effect that pops up pretty regularly. It's only an indie game so my laptop can't possibly be having issues running it (I've recently played LEGO Star Wars: the Skywalker Saga & Stray with no issues), so I'm not sure what's up. I think I was having the same issue with Alba: a Wildlife Adventure (another undemanding indie), though I remember tinkering with some setting that fixed that one.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Completed TOEM after just a few sessions (never had the screen tearing effect pop up again, so it was just a fluke).

Now I'm playing the Klonoa Phantasy Reverie collection (going to get Pac-Man World: Re-Pac as well, but figured Klonoa would probably be more likely to need the extra sales, so went with it first).

Still on the first game, Door to Phantomile, though I think I'm getting close to the end, as I just unlocked the moon castle world. It's not genre defining or anything, but it's a solid platformer. VERY Kirby like in terms of concept & aesthetics (albeit with a much more basic gameplay loop), and for a 2.5D platformer it gets a LOT of credit for making fantastic use of the fact that it exists in 3D (it's largely on a 2D plane, however the path does a ton of winding and will oftentimes loop around on itself). Some levels even feel a bit dungeon like with some simple puzzles to solve or keys to collect, though this sometimes can make it feel a tad tedious.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Pizzamorg

I tried that The First Descendant beta with a friend. I know we tend to compare Live Service Looters together anyway, but man, this literally is just like wholesale chunks of different Live Services Looters bolted together verbatim. There is basically zero identity or personality of their own here.

I wouldn't say it is necessary horrible though, it isn't a pretty game and it didn't run great for me either, but the moment-to-moment gameplay and the classes I got to try were all pretty fun.

Plus, you have a surprising amount of customisation and depth right of the gate, with a system called Runes, which is basically mods, none of them did anything too crazy, but you were able to stack enough of them, that I was able to really define my playstyle much quicker than I tend to find with looters and in a much more granular way.

That said, like with almost all of these games, it is just way too easy. Enemies going down in basically one hit, and there is never enough of them, so me and my friend were fighting to do anything in encounters. Some of the moves have really long wind ups too, so in a game with enemies just disintegrating if you blow on them, the long animations just basically blow your windows.

Plus, I think it is going free to play and even in the beta, you can see how much of a nightmare this'll be. Every system is broken down into a convoluted series of currencies and upgrade paths. I am assuming once this goes live, you are gonna need to either do a lot of grinding, have a degree in the systems to know how to navigate them efficiently or just be prepared to spend a lot of money.

Ralizah

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/silent-hill-2-remakes-pc-sys...

HOLY MOLY Those minimum and recommended SH2R requirements are bananas!

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX 5700
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 / AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
RAM: 12GB
Storage: 50GB available space
DirectX: DX12

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 / AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
RAM: 16GB

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

The Witcher I being remade in UE5.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pizzamorg

Ralizah wrote:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/silent-hill-2-remakes-pc-sys...
HOLY MOLY Those minimum and recommended SH2R requirements are bananas!

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX 5700
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 / AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
RAM: 12GB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 / AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
RAM: 16GB

Sounds like it is gonna be optimised like garbage yey

Magician wrote:

The Witcher I being remade in UE5.

why tho?

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg Sometimes these listed requirements for games are overkill. I have no doubt my current piddly card won't run it acceptably, but does SH2 really need a 1080 to run at low settings at 30fps?

As for The Witcher, it's super janky. Desperately in need of a remake to bring it up to modern standards.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

@Pizzamorg For the same reason publishers remaster and/or remake any game.

Mo money, mo money, mo money.
Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pizzamorg

The first Witcher is deffo the most dated with this weird top-down perspective and stuff, but like... who wants this though like in the first place?

BruceCM

Uh, I do? Couldn't get on with the original Witcher on Steam, with no controller support I'll gladly take a remaster of that so I can play it properly, thanks ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Takoda

@Magician Welp, good thing I have an excuse to put the original on hold now then and just move on to the witcher 2 and 3. I decided I’d play the trilogy in order but those controls and that combat was just really hard to get along with.

I keep buying fighting games for some reason, even though I barely got anyone to play against.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7519-0735-1595

Solaine

@Ralizah Oh come on 1080 for minimum? First time i am seeing a minimum requirement that high...I sure wont be able to play this then

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

EllaTheQueen6

Just discovered this thread. Me and my brother are PC gamers. We share a few visual novels on Steam. And we both want the Made in Abyss game, but it's, like, 60 USD, and we're broke.

Y'all, let's go play Legally Distinct Pocket Creatures!
Vice president/second divine goddess of the Chit-Chat thread

3DS Friend Code: 2252-0354-0887

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic