Forums

Topic: General JRPG Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 397

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg Yikes.. this makes it seem like there's going to be more of an artificial grind in this game in order to force others to pay for the microtransactions. It kind of sucks too, since I was looking forwards to the game, but now I'm just not going to bother.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg Yikes.. this makes it seem like there's going to be more of an artificial grind in this game in order to force others to pay for the microtransactions. It kind of sucks too, since I was looking forwards to the game, but now I'm just not going to bother.

The journalism around this has really annoyed me as well. People couldn't shut up about it when Ubisoft did it, but for some reason many major publications make no mention of this in their reviews at all when it comes to this game. This should be really the main topic around this game, like it was with past games that did the same stuff.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

kkslider5552000

I did not know it had monetization like that.

I mean, maybe its like DMC5 where it does but its really easy to ignore but like...I still knew DMC5 had microtransactions.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BruceCM

Well, I got the deluxe version on a good deal, so I'll see how it goes but I won't be spending any more on it ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

I'm going to fire up Soul Nomad for the first time this weekend.

Should be interesting.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

SE have revealed their TGS line-up .....
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Forspoken
Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier
Project Triangle Strategy
Glad we'll get to see more of those!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

Yay...
I'm still playing Yokai Watch 3 Tempura until today. Have accumulated 163+ hours.

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

Pizzamorg wrote:

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg Yeah, the combat isn't for everyone. Also, by monetization, what do you mean? Isn't the game pretty much singleplayer only?

Am I allowed to post external links here? If so: https://culturedvultures.com/tales-of-arise-microtransactions...

Pay to win in single player games is just rancid.

So it turns out, even the DLC costumes in Arise are kinda yucky: https://t.co/pfZF7nJ9zf?amp=1

This really has some of the most rancid monetisation I think I've seen in a game in a long time.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg The way I see them, is that they're akin to titles in Berseria, but due to being cosmetic, they're selling them like the costume DLC in the other games.. this time with added perks.

Edited on by VoidofLight

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I sort of went down a rabbit hole with this and learnt the series has done similar monetisation for their past games. Funny how no one is really talking about this, weird how people pick and choose their battles. If it is EA or Ubisoft, rarar but apparently if it is a Tales game, we just whistle and look away.

Anti-Matter

Pay 2 Win has been introduced from FF X.
You paid the Yojimbo for hoping he will use Zanmato for instant kill to every foes including Boss if you're lucky and have getting along well with him.

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@Anti-Matter But.. that's not pay to win, since that's not DLC. Pay to Win is when you have to actually use real-world money to pay for DLC that makes the game a better experience. It's usually seen in Multiplayer titles, but occasionally it worms it's way into singleplayer games.

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
I knew Pay 2 Win in FF X was a different case since it used currency in game (not real money) but still you need to pay your Yojimbo if you want an instant KO to all foes (by some luck).

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Anti-Matter But.. that's not pay to win, since that's not DLC. Pay to Win is when you have to actually use real-world money to pay for DLC that makes the game a better experience. It's usually seen in Multiplayer titles, but occasionally it worms it's way into singleplayer games.

And the wider concern is always that while they may say the boosters are just for those who don't have as much free time and wont affect your experience, I think we all know this is BS at this point, right? They want to sell as many of these MTXs as they can, so they will make their game as oppressive and grindy as they can, to push you towards picking up some boosters.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg To be honest, I can't speak for Arise, but Berseria isn't really that bad in terms of grinding.

RR529

Just finished the little "tutorial" dungeon in Arise. First impressions:

• Playing on Normal. It does seem a bit tough at the get go (there are these armadillo enemies which I believe can KO you in two hits if you're not careful), but the combat is starting to click and I'm not quite getting myself into as many sticky situations. I'll never understand why they thought mapping dodging to clicking the left stick (+ R2) was a good idea though. I'm getting used to it, but clicking sticks like buttons in action scenarios will always feel a bit clunky to me. Also, basic attacks are mapped to R1, which may feel odd to some (after God of War 2018 & Astral Chain I'm used to the idea of using shoulder buttons for melee attacks, but it still feels a bit different to what I'd expect.
  • It does look great too, even though there can be quite a bit of environmental pop in. Honestly that didn't bother me as much as how washed out it could look (especially in the distance), however that seemed to be a brightness issue & turning the brightness down a bit has made the colors pop a bit more. Otherwise I've been managing a smooth looking 60 fps at max settings. Loving the character design at the moment though I'm waiting for the MC to lose the mask, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jedgamesguy

That Korean game; Project EVE, looks absolutely incredible. It's not a Japanese game obviously but it really reminds me of some other JRPGs I've enjoyed in the past. Music sounds absolutely killer, the combat smooth too, with some really flashy special effects (sparks and whatnot). Plus the main character looks nice.

Barring major catastrophe, I'm keeping my eyes open for sure. Steampunk HZD mixed with NieR:Automata sounds like a very appealing idea to me.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

VoidofLight

@TheJGG When they announced it, I believed it was Nier 3 first, until the title and the studio making it.

RR529

Are the Sword Art Online games any good? I see they're all on sale for the next couple days on Steam (most under $10) and was wondering if any of them were worth picking up (I liked what I've seen of the anime).

Even if I do buy one it'll probably be awhile before I get to it since I'm deep into Tales of Arise, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Magician

@Kid_Buu

With SMT V wrapping up I can only assume it'll be the announcement of Persona 6.

To be released in 2025 most likely.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic