Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 801 to 820 of 1,675

Raylax

Thanks @RR529 and @Dezzy, I'll probably give one of those a spin when my current backlog is a little less spicy. Age doesn't bother me so much with RPGs - I've played through the NES original FF1 after all. Seems just about anywhere is a good place to jump in.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Purgatorium

I've been playing FF2 for the first time lately and I know the leveling system gets a lot of criticism but I actually really like it. I feel like I can customize the characters without tedious menus, swapping out items or stopping after every other fight to move along a grid. If you don't know, essentially stats and abilities increase when they are used. Take damage. Your max HP goes up. Use a magic spell, your magic or MP or that spell's level goes up. It isn't perfect but it would be great if FF revisited this model and fixed the problems.

Edited on by Purgatorium

Purgatorium

Glitchling78

@Raylax I have to agree with @RR529 & @Dezzy I suggest FFX. I fairly recently replayed both IX & X and while I had always held IX up as my favourite, X kind of shone through as the better game.

The story is fantastic, the battles are snappy (and really reward thinking through) and the general presentation holds up surprisingly well in the remaster.

Glitchling78

Dezzy

@TheFrenchiestFry

Interesting.That's one of the few things that would make me get a PS5 in 2021.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TheFrenchiestFry

Same. FFXVI looks really good

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

mcdreamer

I'm also very excited for FFXVI. If it were to release next year that would be very exciting indeed.

mcdreamer

Dezzy

In some of the earliest leaks about FF16, they'd said it was open-world too. Hopefully we'll get confirmation of that in the reveal next year.

I really enjoyed the open-world section of FF15. I'd definitely like a full game done like that.

Dezzy

@SheenaGemini93

That is the main guy from the trailer. You just saw him at 2 different ages. You seem when he's 15 and then again when he's 30-ish.

Both versions are shown in that article too. On the main image logo he looks older, in the character descriptions he looks younger.

Glitchling78

This isn’t a hot take but I’ve finally decided that modern mainline FF is just not for me anymore. I disliked both FFXII and FFXIII but for some reason was still interested in FFXV.

I recently got an XBox One, I’m about 15 hours into FFXV and it really is a slog. The story and world are just not grabbing me and the combat is simultaneously chaotic and boring. Will probably drop it, clearly not enjoying it.

Glitchling78

Dezzy

@Glitchling78

Have you tried FF7 Remake? It's incredibly different from all of those other recent games.

Glitchling78

@Dezzy I haven’t, I don’t have a PS4 unfortunately. I’m still kind of intrigued since even if I don’t like the combat I figure the characters and setting would still pull me through.

I have heard the combat is more strategic which sounds like a good step. To be fair, I felt there was a good amount of strategy to FFXIII’s combat so I don’t doubt SE can still do it.

I’m keeping an eye on FFXVI mainly just because it looks like you play as only one character, which addresses my biggest complaint with FFXV’s combat. Having all 4 characters wearing black and dancing around the battlefield, with the enemies also often being dark coloured and jumping around, makes it hard to tell what’s going on.

Glitchling78

Glitchling78

@SheenaGemini93 It feels weird as around the sort of “golden age” of FFVI-FFX I thought this would be a series I stuck with forever. That said, the recent spin offs like World of Final Fantasy, Theatrhythm and Bravely Default I have really enjoyed. Ironically their bigger budget stuff is less appealing. I feel like a Final Fantasy hipster.

I won’t be returning to FFXV but I’m going to look into what happens late game out of morbid curiosity since I’ve seen a few people say that it gets pretty bad towards the end.

Glitchling78

Dezzy

Glitchling78 wrote:

I’m still kind of intrigued since even if I don’t like the combat I figure the characters and setting would still pull me through.

I have heard the combat is more strategic which sounds like a good step. To be fair, I felt there was a good amount of strategy to FFXIII’s combat so I don’t doubt SE can still do it.

Yes the characters and setting in FF7 are probably the best in the whole series. Incredibly memorable and well presented. They really nail that aspect of the Remake too. It really puts all previous versions of those characters to shame.

The battle system is very good too. It's kinda like FFXIII mixed with FFXV. So real-time action based, mixed with turnbased abilities.

FFXIII was probably my favourite battle system in the series actually. (Or FFXIII-2 anyway, which slightly improved it by letting you control any character)

Glitchling78

@SheenaGemini93 Funnily enough I thought about mentioning Pokémon when I was writing my message. I felt the same about SwSh (in fact I traded it in for DQXI) but I am still intending to return for Snap as it’s an interesting spin on the Pokémon world if it’s done right. Mainline Gen 9 would have to be a significant step up for me to care at this point.

For FFVIIR I’m interested in filler about the original cast (including original side characters like the rest of Avalanche and Elmyra/Marlene) but suspicious of new characters. It may sound silly but I immediately put Dirge of Cerberus down when one of the characters was a woman wearing a bizarre pink and black swimsuit/hotpants combo under a labcoat with one eye constantly closed. It somehow managed to feel too bizarre for a world that features a floating astronomer with no legs.

Glitchling78

Anti-Matter

@Dezzy
You do like FF XIII battle System ?
I thought it was pretty disaster since you cannot change the leader during the battle and if the leader KOed = Game Over just like Kingdom Hearts.
At least FF XII gambit system is far better than FF XIII Paradigm Shift. And if your first three members fell down, you still have another chance to continue the Battle with other members that still alive.

About FF XIII, i have reached Grand Pulse (chapter 11 if i remembered), still waiting for Vanille's Eidolon appear and i still have no idea how to farming EXP on Grand Pulse easily as there were too many tough enemies. 😑

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

SheenaGemini93 wrote:

Oh yeah, letting ya know that it’s not my intention to start up an argument with Dezzy, I just also feel like giving my opinion on FF7R if I may.

I am truly fearsome!
And yes, the padding was quite annoying in FF7R. Although you only notice it if you've played the original game. Luckily that probably won't be an issue in the following games though, given that they're not gonna expand any other part of the story as much as they did with Midgar (because it would take decades to finish the whole thing if they did)

@Anti-Matter

Yes, only being able to control the 1 character is the main problem with the XIII battle system. That's why I mentioned XIII-2. That had pretty much an identical battle system, except you can change which character you control. Including when one of them dies.

Edited on by Dezzy

TheFrenchiestFry

The designs for what I assume are the three leads in XVI (Clive, Joshua and Jill) are actually really good. Probably already my favorites for any of the modern FF games. Gives me a lot of vibes of both XII and XIV.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@SheenaGemini93 I was never HUGE into Pokemon but I feel for those who came away really disappointed at the state of the series nowadays. I decided to give Sword a chance but it just doesn't strike me as a game worthy of being on a home console. It seems like GF are too stuck up in their handheld mentalities that they just upped and made a slightly better looking 3DS game.

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic