Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 761 to 780 of 1,675

TheFrenchiestFry

@Anti-Matter That's not entirely true considering VII Remake was worked on by a lot of surviving key members of the development team behind the original game

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Hopefully soon lol.... Tentatively this winter barring any surprise JRPG drops that scream for my attention. Still not sure if I want to play VI or X first. Definitely not within the next month or two.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I'm told X is objectively one of the best modern Final Fantasy games. Whereas VI is arguably the pinnacle of the earlier FFs.

I suppose it'll depend on if I'm up for something more modern or nostalgic when the time comes.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
I have finished FF X Switch storyline long time ago.
Just matter of time to grind the parameter and Sphere levels.
I remembered my sibling have ever trained his Yuna until 255 for all stats and dealt 99,999 damage from her normal attack.

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx I ended up starting Ys VIII instead lol. I have it digital and it'll be a nice compliment to sm64 which I have coming tomorrow. I guess ff x will have to wait a bit

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter I've heard Final Fantasy X can be a long haul, but one that's more than worth it. Though I don't think I'll stick with the game quite long enough for Yuna to knock down just about everything with one hit.

@NintendoByNature So I noticed before packing up Future Connected for the evening. Ys VIII is another of my backlogged games. Though I have it in physical format. Managed to snag a UK import off of Amazon a little while back.

Dezzy

Purgatorium wrote:

Sorry, when I said it doesn't "look like" Final Fantasy I didn't mean "visually." I meant what you said actually. It doesn't seem to the feel of a Final Fantasy. It feels like the Witcher. But like I said, I would need to see more.

Yeah to some extent, but then I don't expect you can necessarily pick that up from a single trailer. I mean FFXV had that same dark serious tone about it. Very different from all of the games up to FFX, which had a strong light hearted, whimsical side to them.

My only real worry so far though is the fact that all of the combat we saw looked like it involved just 1 character. I think the party-based system is absolutely crucial for this series, and is one of the main things that distinguishes it from western RPGs, so I really hope they haven't abandoned it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Rexenoboy

Here's a great thread on Twitter about all the people involved with FFXVI that we know so far.

Treasure Acquired

Dezzy

Rexenoboy wrote:

Here's a great thread on Twitter about all the people involved with FFXVI that we know so far.

Well I don't play MMOs but I guess the fact that FFXIV has been very well received, especially the recent expansions, must be a good sign for this game too. They're obviously talented developers.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Rexenoboy

@Dezzy
I haven't played XIV either, but the talent behind XVI also worked on XII and a bunch of other titles that I thought were great. Better than XIII and XV for sure. I have high hopes for XVI.

Treasure Acquired

Krull

Magician wrote:

XVI has the least science fiction-looking setting I've seen in the series. Even less so than IX, XIV or XI. That isn't a bad thing. I'm getting some I, II, and III vibes. When Final Fantasy was just fantasy...and the setting didn't dabble with technology.

Just good old swords and sorcery.

Final Fantasy 1 has robots in the 'flying fortress'. That tinge of sci-fi has been baked in from the very start. I genuinely think FFXVI might be the most medieval fantasy setting we've yet had. I also got Witcher vibes from the trailer, as well as a bit of Devil May Cry. And let's face it, this was probably being made while Game of Thrones was at its cultural peak. Wouldn't be a surprise if those influences crept in.

I'm up for it. Let's see what they can do! I'll wait for the PC release, though...

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Purgatorium

Yeah, it's weird having played the series since FF1 to read people saying it's moved away from its medieval roots. Those roots are only quasi-medieval. Like you said, FF1 had robots. In the west the next one we got was FF4, which had a spaceship, Tower of Babil is scifi. FF6 has a lot of dieselpunk elements, mech suits basically, you fight a lot of robotic creatures in Vector.

Dezzy wrote:

Yeah to some extent, but then I don't expect you can necessarily pick that up from a single trailer. I mean FFXV had that same dark serious tone about it. Very different from all of the games up to FFX, which had a strong light hearted, whimsical side to them.

My only real worry so far though is the fact that all of the combat we saw looked like it involved just 1 character. I think the party-based system is absolutely crucial for this series, and is one of the main things that distinguishes it from western RPGs, so I really hope they haven't abandoned it.

I agree. If I end up playing 16 I do hope they still have a party system.

Ultimately, my only concern with how Square treats the franchise is how they treat their back catalogue. I mean, do whatever you want with new games. I don't really begrudge them innovating and breaking from tradition, but damnit give us better access to the old games.

Purgatorium

Anti-Matter

And let's not forget Eidolon Ark in FF IX that basically Transformer when you summon him.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

@BruceCM I'll make sure to report in to this thread.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic