Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 741 to 760 of 1,675

Quimbolas

Seems interesting but the combat system dont seem appealing to me.....
I would love them to go back to turn based or an aproach similar to KH, but dont seem very probable to happen..

Quimbolas

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

We still don't know how long that exclusivity lasts! We've just assumed it's a year, but they haven't actually said that yet.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NintendoByNature

Saw the trailer. Looks great too bad its not coming to switch that we know of

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

NintendoByNature wrote:

More or less my reaction. My first exposure to the news, surprisingly, was a Reddit thread dedicated to it that ran across my news feed.

Before I get too excited though, I should probably play one of the other main entries first.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yesssss!!! When are you going to. Even i have surpassed you with the amount of games I've played in the series 😉. Dont worry its only 7 and 9. You can easily catch up.

NintendoByNature

Dezzy

NintendoByNature wrote:

I was saying they should've made the next mainline FF game a Switch exclusive, given the size of the install base (in Japan especially). I think they're committed to the idea that Final Fantasy should be at the cutting edge of technology though. They have said that quite a few times before. Although this doesn't really look much more graphically advanced than XV or 7R to me. They're definitely reaching diminishing returns.

Dezzy

@Slowdive

Quite a lot of the original people are still there! Certainly the people from the PS1 era at least.

Daniel36

Anti-Matter wrote:

I banned FF VII R for explicit swearing words.

The original FF7 had that too, and I felt it was wildly inappropriate and not fitting at all. It completely killed the game for me.

Then again, I once read that the original FF6 script had some explicit swear words too, though I am not sure about that one.

If anything, swear words have no place in RPGs, bar MAYBE ones that take place in present day situations, but even then, I hate it. I was also REALLY disappointed when it occurred in Octopath...

Edited on by Daniel36

Daniel36

Rexenoboy

I honestly thought FFXVI looks more interesting than any FF game since FFXII.
I love the setting they've chosen for this new installment!
Too bad I won't be able to play it for a very, very long time though. I'm not interested in buying a PS5 and it's going to take ages before it gets ported a Nintendo console.

Treasure Acquired

Dezzy

Rexenoboy wrote:

FFXVI looks more interesting than any FF game since FFXII.

Sounds like you like the Matsuno stuff. That's what this is closest to in its style and setting. Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and FF12

TheFrenchiestFry

FFXVI is everything I wanted out of XV in terms of combat. This and VII Remake proves that real time combat can be meshed really effectively with traditional FF tropes. Love the return to the high fantasy setting and dark fantasy in particular is something I haven't really seen a whole lot of in the context of FF specifically. It's always been high fantasy, science fantasy, science fiction or just fantasy meshed with reality

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Rexenoboy

Dezzy wrote:

Sounds like you like the Matsuno stuff. That's what this is closest to in its style and setting. Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and FF12

@Dezzy Yeah, you're right about that.

Treasure Acquired

Purgatorium

I think I need to see more. It doesn't look like a Final Fantasy to me. It looks like the Witcher.

Purgatorium

Dezzy

@Purgatorium

What does "look like Final Fantasy" mean though? They've changed the style up so much between installments, I don't think it really has a "look".
It has more of a common feel or spirit about it, that's based on certain set of themes and story-telling tropes.

Purgatorium

Sorry, when I said it doesn't "look like" Final Fantasy I didn't mean "visually." I meant what you said actually. It doesn't seem to the feel of a Final Fantasy. It feels like the Witcher. But like I said, I would need to see more.

Purgatorium

BruceCM

Feels like the Witcher games how, particularly? Older FFs did that sort of setting before the Witcher games! They had reference to the crystals, which is as FF as you can get .... But let's suppose they've managed to put in some things from the Witcher series. How's that bad?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

XVI has the least science fiction-looking setting I've seen in the series. Even less so than IX, XIV or XI. That isn't a bad thing. I'm getting some I, II, and III vibes. When Final Fantasy was just fantasy...and the setting didn't dabble with technology.

Just good old swords and sorcery.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

MrGawain

I have a theory that the majority people rate quality of Final Fantasy games on how many of the characters they can remember, visually and by name, because it helps with understanding the story. Lots of people think FF7 is the best, because they can clearly remember Cloud, Tifa, Barrett, etc.., and this helps remember the story (although the game is flawed by how it abandons you without a clue after a certain point). FF9 and 10 do well as the visual styles stand out and the characters look and act different from each other. For me I despise FF12 because most of the time I couldn’t tell who was who in battle, and had trouble when the game told me to “Find character X’. Everyone is the same height and wears muted colours. I can remember what each of the characters stereotype is in FF15, but beyond Noctis and Ignis I can’t remember names, so maybe it’s somewhere in the middle.

From first impressions of FF16, I must admit it looks very ‘standard gruff triple A game’, and I don’t know if it inspires my curiosity the way I feel a classic Final Fantasy should. Of course this is only after a first look, but I have my reservations about it.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Purgatorium

BruceCM wrote:

Feels like the Witcher games how, particularly? Older FFs did that sort of setting before the Witcher games! They had reference to the crystals, which is as FF as you can get .... But let's suppose they've managed to put in some things from the Witcher series. How's that bad?

It's not bad necessarily. I loved the Witcher and would love to play an improved version of it. This could be that. Combat looks a lot more dynamic for one. But as I've said I need to see more.

Purgatorium

Anti-Matter

BruceCM wrote:

This is what happened when SquareEnix tried to get too Western.
The veteran of Final Fantasy teams are not working in SquareEnix anymore, left the company with completely different peoples with different ideas that make new Final Fantasy games very unlikely from previous series.
Take a look FF XIII case and also FF XV (XIII versus). It didn't feel like Final Fantasy games anymore.
At least for FF X-2, it was very quirky experiment by combining Charlie's Angels vibe with some J-Pop and cheesy storyline (with some dark plots lurking beneath)

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic