Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,675

Ralizah

@Snaplocket FFX's broad strokes are OK. I like the religious pilgrimage aspect of it. The ending gets a little loopy, though. And, in general, I didn't care for most of the cast, or the forced romantic aspects.

FFXIII is terrible (the plot itself isn't horrendous, but the fictional terminology, story pacing, and setting certainly are), and its characters all look like obnoxious millennial hipsters. Snow even wears a friggin beanie! GOD, I hate that game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Speaking about FF IX...

Ark FF IX actually did 3 Hits Attack from his Eternal Darkness (Multi beams + Mega Beam with Magical pattern + Mega Blast) & it displayed just only 9999 ! (So, each hits = 3333 damage ?? )

Eternal Darkness should be 3 x 9999 = 29997 damages in total. And that's why we dare to death to beat Ark in order to get Pumice stones to summon Ark. What's so different with Bahamut (1 Hit Mega Flare = 9999) if Ark do 9999 damages in total from 3 Hits Attacks Eternal Darkness ?

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I'm already expecting a Batman-Gotham looking Honey Bee Inn......

Wait, what's this about breaking the game on PS4 easily? And the cross-dressing will be modified to act as a political statement, guaranteed. Because before it was used as a laugh, and that was ok, but now laughing at it is unacceptable, so it will need to be social commentary.

I avoided most of the VII expanded content but did try to play Crisis Core since it's a proper prequel. But...I just...couldn't. Part of it is the limitations of PSP.....PSP's limitations ruined a lot of games that should have been better, IMO. To be fair it has some great moments, but the overall gameplay fell short with it's grindiness.

@Snaplocket FFX is one of those things that has a great concept but is apparently when someone decided that Jenova was a good idea and similar nonsensical themes should be present in every FF game. It would have been a great game had the ill defined and often self-contradicting time traveling epoch based Sin made more sense. Opening with a character from the past that technically isn't even just sets up terrible confusion later. Unlike Ralizah, I don't mind the cast (Wakka aside) and the romantic aspects which make sense....but the ending or the whole loop of Sin/Zanarkand was just not well thought out. It's a Mcguffin to fit a narrative that they then tried to make the narrative....

But it's still better than XIII that never actually explained anything about the world, it just threw it at you as if you knew it. Nomura did later admit that they had this grand plan for the world spanning many games, and perhaps using one game to try to cram in all that world building wasn't the best way to go about it. I think it looked better on storyboards than it did in motion. The world is kind of cool, but gameplay problems of railroad tracks aside, they throw you in a world you know nothing about, they don't explain it to you, they keep bringing up specific terms, non-stop, that you don't know the implications of, and then they just keep going. You need to understand the rules of the world to understand who is what and why you should be interested. And they didn't do that. They had flashy graphics, vocab without meaning, and you just went through assuming someday they'll tell you. And they really don't. (That applies to base XIII, the two sequels fix a lot of things wrong with it but nobody played them because the base messed it up too much.) It helps to know the dev backstory that Fang and Vanille were supposed to be the protagonists and Fang was supposed to be a guy, and Fang-bro and Vanille were supposed to have a romantic interest instead of Snow/Serah. The world and storytelling makes a lot more sense when you realize Lightening isn't supposed to be the lead at all, Fang is the wrong character and it's really supposed to be a story opening with Fang. They changed it to Lightening because "she looks cooler like they want a female protagonist in a modern game to be." And who knows why they gender-bent Fang. Ugh. They broke the story for politics and demographic appeal. The definition of story-by-focus-group.

@Ralizah Not sure if you gave 2 and XIII-LR a try or not. LR surprised me. My thought a few weeks ago when I tried it was "Wow, somehow Snow became cool, and....ok Hope is still a brat, but I no longer want to strangle him, he's almost normal!" The game opens with a very dark turn for Snow which makes him very interesting finally. And hope seems human. I can say that without even gagging!!

My favorite in the first game though is Vanille's accent. Sometimes it's Australian, sometimes it's American, sometimes it's neither.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Somehow, BotW got away with comedic crossdressing with almost no drama from the progressive crowd. I bet the game won't have all the great dialogue choices it did in the original, though.

It'd better have that scene where Hojo, the insane mad scientist working for ShinRa, is randomly lounging on the beach in Costa del Sol.

I haven't tried the XIII sequels. I've heard they're better, but, honestly, I dislike the original enough that I doubt I'll ever get around to them. Maybe once I've played all the other decent JRPGs in the world.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I'm betting they'll have Hojo on the beach but it will be all serious, mob movie style, or like the intro of Just Cause 3. In fact they'll just borrow that scene and replace Rico for Hojo. They'll make it dramatic like his evil plans (Sony branded cell phone in hand) are being concocted from luxury.

All these locations and characters worked only because it was all comic-cartoon style with PS1 rendering. They just don't work in a modern game without becoming FFXV.

From what (little) I've played of XIII-2 and XIII-LR, they are PHENOMENALLY better than XIII. I'm not going to say they're FFIX, they aren't. But they are substantially better and much more enjoyable (LR massively changes the battle system into a sort of real-time, sort of ATB kind of thing...it's an interesting shakeup. 2 just refines the original system which was already good.) They don't get much love though because most have the same thought about it you do. Including me, until I got back into it with X1 BC. I'm not hating the main game as much because I know what it is this time and am accepting their idea of "it's not an RPG it's a new type of game, more inspired by FPS" (producer's actual quote about it not having RPG elements....) ....but the sequels are what drove me to want to try it again.

I'm almost starting to genuinely like XIII as a quirky, odd, "how Japan does shooters" (a.k.a turn based RPG battles) game rather than lamenting "but it's not FF."

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter You don't get summons until so late in the game with IX that I barely remember them except Shiva and Ifrit which I spammed like crazy in the last area

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

From what (little) I've played of XIII-2 and XIII-LR, they are PHENOMENALLY better than XIII. I'm not going to say they're FFIX, they aren't. But they are substantially better and much more enjoyable

Gameplay-wise XIII-2 is miles better. The story is still a bit of a mess though. It has that same annoying problem the original had where the plot is based on a string of abstract concepts, none of which you have any direct experience of in the game.
I'm not sure why they thought this was a good type of story-telling throughout this trilogy.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
"Fang was supposed to be a guy."
What?! 😲

Btw, in my opinion, FF X = Final Fantasy Harajuku. Do you know Harajuku ?
Harajuku is a wild style of Japanese fashion. The style tends to be unusual. Just take a look the costumes of the characters, from Tidus, Yuna, Wakka, Lulu, etc. Very Couture, very unusual, unlike FF VIII Fashion style (Very Elegant yet simple).

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@NEStalgia Certain things only really work in FFVII because it's an early 3D game and thus still kind of silly-looking. I guarantee you that they'll ruin the Honey Bee Inn. They'll ruin the fun cross-dressing section. They'll ruin the awkward "date" you can go on with Barrett. And the realism will ruin stuff like the Dolphin Jump minigame. What about Red XIII disguising himself as a human?

Good points. Quite a few of those will be hard to replicate with a more realistic tone to the game.
Some of them will be fine if they make adjustments, others probably won't.
Hard to see how they could do Red XIII dancing around on his hind legs dressed as a human.

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

inscrutable metaphysical shenaniganry in XC.

That's a good description of the last quarter of the game. I'm not a fan of that part either. Luckily, the first 3/4 of the game is much more grounded.

And I'm not opposed to the kind of nuts and bolts political focus in the FF12 story. But they could've done that whilst still having good characters. The characters suck. None of them develop throughout the story at all.
The one thing FF12 absolutely nails is it's world design. I would love to see a different set of characters and a different story set in that world.

Ralizah

@Dezzy I liked how the story in Xenoblade developed after Prison Island (for a while, anyway), but getting to that point was pretty boring.

I'm excited to play FFXII again with new eyes, so we'll see if my feelings change at all. I don't recall the characters or story irritating me like in Xenoblade.

If Xenoblade ever gets an HD Switch remaster, I'll likely play that again as well. I really loved XC2, and I want to enjoy the original as well.

LadyCharlie

here is a tangentially related thing:
last night I had a dream I went to a game store, and a clerk there told me with a very concerned voice, "you need to stop coming here to tell everyone that VI was the best Final Fantasy."

LadyCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933

Dezzy

@Ralizah

The characters and story for FF12 are definitely not irritating. They're just uninspiring.

Dezzy

In case anyone missed it, the Ardyn anime prequel has been announced for February:
The difficulty of explaining how to actually play this game increases yet again. This is a prequel to the main game but you have to watch it at the end of the main game because it contains spoilers.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

I don't follow. Why would prequels work like that? Kingsglaive is a prequel (more or less) but that doesn't contain spoilers for the main game. It's intended to be watched first.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Release dates are the key here, if the prequel releases after the main game there'll generally be main game spoilers. Take Torna for example, it's a prequel to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and very early on there's a massive spoiler for the base game so it's most wise to play through the main game first.

If the prequel releases before or possibly around the same as the main game then main game spoilers is unlikely.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

They slightly overlap. Kingsglaive has finished by the time you've finished chapter 1.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Dezzy Release dates are the key here, if the prequel releases after the main game there'll generally be main game spoilers. Take Torna for example, it's a prequel to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and very early on there's a massive spoiler for the base game so it's most wise to play through the main game first.

Sometimes but not necessarily. A prequel for Luna wouldn't include any spoilers really because all of the important information about her is available immediately anyway.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

Ardyn anime has been released.

Pretty great stuff. Reminder that this contains spoilers for the main game though so only watch it if you've played the game. If not, you can safely watch the trailer for the DLC at the end, as that's pretty much spoiler free (starts at 13:34 of this video). It looks pretty damn awesome, certainly the most ambitious DLC yet.

Releases March 26th. And they've also announced that the other cancelled DLC will be released in a short novel format (meh), which means that March 26th does finally mark the end of the FFXV saga. I know some people were waiting til it was all finished to play the game, so March 26th is your date (you can start before that if you want because this DLC fits in at the end of the main game)

Edited on by Dezzy

Anti-Matter

Question.
Is Kingdom Hearts 3 PS4 running on 30 fps or 60 fps on PS4 SLIM ?
Mine is PS4 SLIM.

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

Oooo this is some subtle but big news.

Square Enix just had their investors briefing for the upcoming year. Their target operating income for the upcoming holiday is 4 times what they earned in the last year's holiday period (financial year Q3):

When asked for details by investors, they said more information will come out leading up to E3.
That sounds like FF7 remake baby! Christmas 2019 release.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic