Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,261 to 1,280 of 1,675

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket I mean, Xenoblade 2 forces you to play an entirely different game towards the end if you want to know the backstory behind some characters.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket Except in Torna, there are some critical things for main characters that never get touched upon in the base game. For example, why Jin and Malos are working together, or clarification on characters like Jin's driver, who you get no clarification for in the main game.

Dezzy

@Snaplocket @VoidofLight

Xenoblade 2 is a pretty good comparison really. You really do need to play Torna to fully understand Jin's motivations as a character. Quite similar to Ardyn really. Except the Ardyn stuff is cheaper to buy!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket And Ardyn's motivations aren't that hard to figure out before playing his DLC or watching the anime.

Plus, Jin's motives aren't fleshed out that well either from what I remember. You still never get why he and Malos are working together, or what happened to make him become the way he was without paying for Torna.

Edited on by VoidofLight

VoidofLight

@Balta666 I know you can play 2 without Torna, but you can also play XV without Episode Ardyn. However, I'm pointing out a comparison that's valid, to counteract Snaplocket's point.

Balta666

@VoidofLight I disagree. Nothing comes from Torna as a surprise as you're watching things unfold that you know how it will happen (for instance jin is very well understood in the main game upon his end). FF XV is a mess with or without DLC and definitely the main game does not work without the DLC (specially regarding ardyn)

Dezzy

Snaplocket wrote:

@Dezzy I completely understood Jin's motivations before ever playing the DLC so I flat-out disagree with you.

And I understood Ardyns from just playing the main game. He explains it pretty explicitly at that scene where Noctis gets to the crystal at the end of chapter 13.

But in both the Xenoblade 2 and FFXV examples, you appreciate the motivation a lot more by playing/watching the prequel material.

VoidofLight

Yeah, Ardyn actually explains to Noctis who he is, and why he's done what he's done. The prequel anime elaborates on why he walks the path he did, much like with Jin, and the prequel DLC is further expanding upon the story. It's effectively the same case.

Edited on by VoidofLight

jedgamesguy

Final Fantasy XV, it's been a week. I've put in some good progress today and wasn't able to stop the game after Chapter 7, to check out Episode Gladio. I'm guessing it'll explain what he's been up to between him leaving the party, and then coming back as The Hunter but it doesn't really do much. That they have to explain it in DLC is jarring.

Everything's starting to look good. I'm expecting that we'll encounter the ever elusive Lunafreya before long, because... this marriage needs to take place and all, right?!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

BruceCM

Huh, you'll find out, @TheJGG.... If you need any tips, etc, be sure to let us know

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dezzy

@TheJGG

What do you mean you weren't able to stop the game? It doesn't give you the option, you just have to literally save and turn it off!

VoidofLight

I've been sucked into Final Fantasy XIV. Got the free trial the other day, and I've been plugging away at A Realm Reborn. Heard it was pretty slow, but that it gets better when you get to Heavensward.

jedgamesguy

@Dezzy no, you couldn’t save when you were doing that smaller section in the power plant.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jedgamesguy

I've finished Chapter 12 of Final Fantasy XV. Holy crap it's getting good. The story is taking twists and turns I didn't quite imagine. I'll cover my thoughts from Chapters... six through twelve.

When our team infiltrated the Imperial fortress my inner storyteller / reader expected Iris to be kidnapped. She was all alone and she had little fighting experience (hence her poor stats in the brief time she was a party member), so it would have been perfect for Niflheim to kidnap her. But she wasn't, she was just fine when the party return. Ah well, maybe next time.

The dungeons are slogs. Chapter 7's dungeon, where you accompany Aranea into a derelict tomb, was crazy. My party members didn't follow Noctis correctly and I had to do several battles alone. No Game Overs though, because I was playing on Easy Mode. Ardyn feels suspicious, always showing up at the right time... and a very bizarre start to Chapter 8, there's little in the way of transition and such. Gladio's back, but if the game was trying to hide his identity it was doing a pretty poor job. Short chapter, but we finally set sail for Altissia.

Chapter 9's when stuff goes down, and it was a fantastic ride! The Leviathan battle was so fun, really got my blood pumping. As the Dutch say... brill-f*cking-jant!! I don't know why but I found Luna's voice acting to be... very soothing. Which made her death quite saddening, I was growing to like her character.

@BruceCM Well that statement was very interesting. I anticipated something would happen to Luna but to see her flat out die? Didn't expect that at all. It was at that point, the moment Ardyn stabbed her, where he was firmly established as the villain.

Then Chapter 10 rolls around and I'm very invested in the inevitable fall-out moment between the group. I like Ignis has gone blind, it adds urgency to situations. Gladio shines the most here, and I sympathise with his position the most, where he's direct and up-front about his misgivings with Noctis. Of course he would brood over the recent events but there's a limit between being sad and then just feeling sorry for yourself. Fantastic acting and dialogue.

And Episode 11... the Starscourge has begun! The days were already getting long but the daemons are coming. I love the idea of the Starscourge. More urgency! Anyhow, Ardyn's setting himself up as a villain but in some situations he seems like an anti-hero or a side character. He's like Sephiroth, toying with his prey, watching it all happen. Tricking Noctis into pushing Prompto off the train... genius. Hate it but genius

And now.. I'm at Chapter 13. The "best" chapter according to one @Dezzy.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

BruceCM

Yeah, I'm not sure which chapter I'd say is 'best', @TheJGG ... But around where you are is certainly great stuff! Keep us posted

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dezzy

@TheJGG

You been doing the DLC at the points I suggested?

VoidofLight

Chapter 13 is probably the part of the game where I just sort of felt eh. I didn't like how it was structured.

crashcontrol

I decided too start 6 instead of 10 first and it’s great but I still think 9 is my favourite so far.

Currently Playing: Genshin Impact, Honkai: Star Rail, and whatever else I feel like playing

Switch Friend Code: SW-7941-0589-4299

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic