Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 61,481 to 61,500 of 69,964

JaxonH

My brother came over today and we played 3 games together.

Splatoon 2 was first on the list. And we dominated in Salmon Run. Got my rank back up to Profeshional 90/99, and hit both Superbonuses. Then played some Turf Wars and leveled up some gear. What a fun time!

Switch Sports served as a quick interlude for some bowling and tennis. And it was so good! Nothing like some good old fashioned Wii Sports games. My brother loves the tennis so much. Even more than bowling. And I have to admit, once I played for a while I started really enjoying it. It's super fun.

Zombie Army 4 was the last game we played, and we pushed through several chapters in the 2nd main mission. It was a blast. The difficulty on Medium was just right. Hard enough we had to really try, but not so hard it was frustrating. Got some good level ups and upgrade packs, opened a new Perk slot where I get a second wind if I kill an enemy within a certain timespan after dying, and we were just toasting those zombies left and right. Oh my gosh, this game is pure gold. He already beat the game on PC, but bought it again on Switch. He's been telling me to play this game forever. Now I see why. It's so good in co-op. It's great single player too, but the online and local co-op, and additional horde mode, make for some truly fun gameplay together.

Excellent Saturday.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

Honestly, once I got through that stodgy opening portion, I have been enjoying BD a lot more. I think I am around 5ish hours in now? That went by in a breeze, whereas the first 45 or so minutes felt like a lifetime.

We can remark at how basic and unchanging Pokemon games are, but there is just a real addictive nature to this well worn loop for me. I didn't like Arceus aimless catchathon loop, but this classic style of travelling town to town, beating trainers, collecting badges and building teams of Pokemon is just inherently satisfying to me. Sure, Pokemon may be a little too on the rails at times, however, I appreciate I am always progressing, always discovering new things, no gaming time feels wasted.

The one thing I will say is the first chunk of the game is surprisingly hard. The area offers a small, weak, selection of Pokemon who use predominantly normal type moves. Normal type moves do naff all damage in this game, for some reason, and then do even less than naff all given how aggressively you get debuffed in every battle. If you picked Chimchar, I genuinely have no idea how you would beat that first gym leader, that third Pokemon is just an absolute monster. (Unless you went in with like a team of six Zubats and just spammed absorb). Even grinding is weirdly not much of an option here, the XP offerings are so measly and I was at a point where I had defeated all the trainers and was far beyond the levels of the Pokemon in the grass around me.

Thankfully, I beat them (on my third go, lol!), and the game has opened up a lot since then. I am seeing far more variety in the wild Pokemon, and as my existing Pokemon level up, I am seeing far more type moves that at least help to speed things along. Very much finding myself going, I'll just get to the next Pokemon Centre and then I will save, come off and do some chores... then an hour passes and 'well maybe I'll just beat this trainer...' and so on.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Buizel

@Pizzamorg Good to hear the game is starting to work for you. BDSP gets a bad rap but Sinnoh is still IMO one of the best adventures in the series...it just happens that BDSP is very closely based on the worst version of this adventure (the original Diamond and Pearl) with very still extra... But still a lot to enjoy there.

I agree about the game being handholdy but...that's just the Pokemon series at this point, unfortunately, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's especially disappointing having played Red and Blue, then Fire Red and Leaf Green, and then Pokemon Let's Go...to gradually remove player agency from what is the same game at its core.

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

mClassic is on sale for $80 (MSRP $100).

I have one and do recommend it for Switch. This, combined with increasing your TV's Sharpening to about 75% of max, makes Switch games look a ton better while docked.

Oftentimes people will complain about how bad a game looks docked, and I'm like, huh? It doesn't look that bad to me? And I think this is why

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X6KDQ98/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&...

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

@Pizzamorg Anyone that picked Chimchar would grind until it evolves into Monferno at level 14. It'll immediately learn Mach Punch. Roark becomes a breeze after that!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

link3710

@JaxonH Yeah, I've enjoyed mine significantly. It depends on the game of course (Persona 5 strikers & any main series Pokemon game see drastic improvements, games that already have some form of antialiasing not so much), but I definitely think it's helped give the system a bit more of an edge in looks against the PS4/XB1 versions of games.

@Pizzamorg Re: Normal type moves, Be glad you're not playing the original. Tackle was buffed significantly starting with Gen V, it used to do even less damage. I will say, as someone who's played through with Chimchar, status moves are your friend for Roark's fight.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
It’s not a drastic improvement, but it is a small improvement. Likewise, increasing sharpening on the TV for the input used for Switch is also a small improvement. But when paired together it makes for enough of a change that it’s pretty noticeable.

Pizzamorg

Oh yeah I forgot Chimchar had fighting moves.

By the way, I have beaten the second gym leader now too. Weird the game suggests using fire types against them, given I don't think I've seen any other than the starter I didn't chose. Thankfully some random old man gave me Jirachi (I guess because I played Pokémon Shield?) And that thing is resistant to grass type moves and confusion is super effective against some grass type Pokémon. It basically carried me through the fight. I think without it I would have struggled a lot more.

Funnily enough for the second time Zubat woukd have really come clutch here again as poison fang is super effective. Maybe Zubat will be the key to all gym leaders.

Fizza

Pizzamorg wrote:

By the way, I have beaten the second gym leader now too. Weird the game suggests using fire types against them, given I don't think I've seen any other than the starter I didn't chose. Thankfully some random old man gave me Jirachi (I guess because I played Pokémon Shield?)

That Jirachi is hilarious. Like you said, you get it if you have save data from SwSh AND you also get a MEW if you LGPE data, it's ludicrous that they give you one instantly with no drawback whatsoever. I called my Jirachi Faraday, I love him, I boxed him immediately because I absolutely did not want the gross advantage he would supply. Still happy I finally got a mythical that had eluded me for as long as it has though.

Pizzamorg wrote:

Funnily enough for the second time Zubat woukd have really come clutch here again as poison fang is super effective. Maybe Zubat will be the key to all gym leaders.

Yeah, Zubat (and subsequently it's entire line) are great in Gen 4: early/easy to get, great defensive typing to make up for their lacking defenses, great physical/support movepool to take full advantage of THAT SPEEEEEEED and subjectively one of the coolest designs out of any Gen 1/2 Pokes (we don't talk about Golbat). If you've never used one before, I would highly recommend it: it beats Gardenia and Maylene HANDILY, is good against Saturn and Candice's aces, beats two E4 members in Aaron and Bertha and can be pretty good against Cynthia's Roserade and Garchomp. Zubat is pretty annoying to get working immediately though. In the words of chuggaaconroy, 'it's USELESS..... until it gets Wing Attack'.

Honestly though, now that you're in Eterna, go get the Underground Kit and go looking throughout Hideaways. You'll never know what kinds of beasts you'll find in there (I found a level 26 Lickitung that had both Thrash and Own Tempo. I put him on my team the second everyone else caught up to him and he didn't leave my team the moment he joined, I love my Lickilicky).

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

RR529

Now that we've gotten/getting Kart (Racing), Tennis, Golf, & Strikers (Soccer), do you think Switch has any more Mario sports titles left in it, and if so what?

• A Sluggers (Baseball) revival
  • A Sports Mix style collection
  • Something else

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Fizza

So on the Backlog article for Earthbound, I somewhat jokingly put down Murder By Numbers as a game I'd like to see them tackle next. I remember hearing that it was Ace Attorney crossed with Picross which is extremely up my alley so I thought 'eh, why not, it might actually push me to get the darned thing'.

I was thinking about it a lot later in the day so, out of sheer curiousity, I decided to check it's eShop page and I was stunned. The trailer looked fantastic, the style is off the charts, it's only 1.1GB so it's grand space-wise, it's only €12.50 here in Ireland AND, the thing that tipped me over the edge: the composer, Masakazu Sugimori, is also the composer for the ORIGINAL ACE ATTORNEY.

Needless to say when I empty out my current backlog, it's a high priority to go and yoink for myself.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

May's game for NSO icons is MK8 Deluxe.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@JaxonH I dunno... the Pokemon games in particular look much improved with antialiasing IMO, due to the incredibly simple textures and lighting. The jaggies stand out like a sore thumb in SwSh in particular.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
It's been so long since I've played Switch on a TV without mClassic and high Sharpening, I can't really remember what games used to look like. But when I undock some games, I immediately notice a lot more jaggies that weren't sticking out as bad on the TV.

@Grumblevolcano
Ugh. Not that I don't like MarioKart, but come on. We've had Mario Odyssey, Kirby, Animal Crossing and Splatoon 2... now Mario Kart. I'm ready for something a little less safe. Splatoon icons were amazing, don't get me wrong- I'm using one of them now. But where's the Triangle Strategy? Let us get something that's not super mainstream. Next we'll probably get Mario Strikers, as if we didn't already have enough Mario.

As long as they give us Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak icons, Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes icons or Xenoblade 3 icons, I'll be happy. I know we'll get Splatoon 3 and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet for sure.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Slot 1 so far has only been 2017 games, slot 2 is always Animal Crossing and slot 3 appears to be new games. So I'd guess Switch Sports will replace Kirby on Friday and then BotW replaces MK8 Deluxe in June.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
What could they possibly do for Switch Sports? It's all based around custom avatars. Even if each sport got an icon like a bowling pin, a shuttlecock, a tennis ball, a soccer ball, a volleyball and a sword, that's still only 6 icons.

MarioVillager92

Honestly I'm happy that the Mario Kart icons came out. I've always loved Mario Kart anyway and I've been in a MK8D mood lately, especially with some of the DLC courses that are out now.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Pizzamorg

Fizza wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

By the way, I have beaten the second gym leader now too. Weird the game suggests using fire types against them, given I don't think I've seen any other than the starter I didn't chose. Thankfully some random old man gave me Jirachi (I guess because I played Pokémon Shield?)

That Jirachi is hilarious. Like you said, you get it if you have save data from SwSh AND you also get a MEW if you LGPE data, it's ludicrous that they give you one instantly with no drawback whatsoever. I called my Jirachi Faraday, I love him, I boxed him immediately because I absolutely did not want the gross advantage he would supply. Still happy I finally got a mythical that had eluded me for as long as it has though.

Pizzamorg wrote:

Yeah, Zubat (and subsequently it's entire line) are great in Gen 4: early/easy to get, great defensive typing to make up for their lacking defenses, great physical/support movepool to take full advantage of THAT SPEEEEEEED and subjectively one of the coolest designs out of any Gen 1/2 Pokes (we don't talk about Golbat). If you've never used one before, I would highly recommend it: it beats Gardenia and Maylene HANDILY, is good against Saturn and Candice's aces, beats two E4 members in Aaron and Bertha and can be pretty good against Cynthia's Roserade and Garchomp. Zubat is pretty annoying to get working immediately though. In the words of chuggaaconroy, 'it's USELESS..... until it gets Wing Attack'.

Honestly though, now that you're in Eterna, go get the Underground Kit and go looking throughout Hideaways. You'll never know what kinds of beasts you'll find in there (I found a level 26 Lickitung that had both Thrash and Own Tempo. I put him on my team the second everyone else caught up to him and he didn't leave my team the moment he joined, I love my Lickilicky).

Right? I was so confused when he gave it me! But I was like... well okay then, I won't say no. Looks like Jirachi and Zubat are on my team for the long haul, haha.

Also cool, I didn't know I had access to the Underground yet, I'll have to go exploring. Weirdly despite being to a few towns now, I don't feel like I have seen a massive variety of Pokemon yet, so I am hoping the Underground addresses that.

IceClimbers

Square Enix has sold off all their western studios to Embracer Group for $300 million

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

BruceCM

Oh, wow, @IceClimbers ... Hadn't heard of Embracer Group before but a quick look finds I've heard of some of their studios, so we'll see how that goes

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic