Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 58,201 to 58,220 of 69,992

HotGoomba

Pizzamorg wrote:

HotGoomba wrote:

@Pizzamorg I've had OLED devices for years and they've all been perfectly fine, except one of them got a permanent black spot due to a manufacturing defect rather than the OLED itself.

Then you are lucky, but your one personal account doesn't override all of the evidence contrary to your experience.

That's true, I won't argue against that. However, I think that the fact the you're so against OLED is interesting, since most issues with OLED is the fault of the users rather than the screen technology itself. Every screen technology has it's ups and downs, so you shouldn't just count one put just because of a few avoidable problems.

Edited on by HotGoomba

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Pizzamorg

HotGoomba wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

HotGoomba wrote:

@Pizzamorg I've had OLED devices for years and they've all been perfectly fine, except one of them got a permanent black spot due to a manufacturing defect rather than the OLED itself.

Then you are lucky, but your one personal account doesn't override all of the evidence contrary to your experience.

That's true, I won't argue against that. However, I think that the fact the you're so against OLED is interesting, since most issues with OLED is the fault of the users rather than the screen technology itself. Every screen technology has it's ups and downs, so you shouldn't just count one put just because of a few avoidable problems.

I fundamentally disagree with this. You can't blame the user for the limitations of OLED, that's ridiculous. And to call it "avoidable" is pretty laughable too, yeah I guess you never gotta worry about that burn in if you just never turn it on. But heaven forbid you try and use it for its intended purpose.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ralizah

I've not had an issue with my OLED Vita. Most people I know with OLED devices haven't had issues with burn-in.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I think some people overstate the problem.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

HotGoomba

@Pizzamorg Burn-in is caused by the user NOT moving the screen for an extended amount of time (30-60 minutes). If you know not to do that, it almost certainly won't happen. So screen burn-in IS the users fault.

HotGoomba

@Ralizah
Cool. completely forgets about this news article

Pizzamorg

Sdelintwouters wrote:

@Pizzamorg
How are you supposed to get burn-ins when the picture is constantly moving? That doesn't happen.
Only if you'd put your Switch in pause mode on a static screen for too long would you get burn-ins. And that's definitely on the user because on standard settings the Switch goes to sleep after 10 or 15 minutes of inactivity, which poses no risk whatsoever.

As I said in my original message, any static thing on the screen for extended periods has the risk of being burnt in. Especially if you use the TV at a high brightness. So things like HUD elements, maps etc all run this risk when playing games as depending on how long you play they have the risk of being burnt onto the screen.

At the end of the day it's your money to burn, no put intended, if you think it's worth the risk then power to you. But for me personally, I like using a TV where I can watch it with no concern that I might end up with burn in. Especially as adaptive backlighting on modern Sony LED TVs is really bridging the gap when it comes to the main benefit of an OLED (the blacks).

RR529

@Ralizah, sounds good. It wasn't the most revolutionary game or anything, but it was a fun time and the scale of the large boss fights were impressive.

I'd be even more excited by an Astral Chain sequel, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FragRed

@JaxonH I really hope it arrives tomorrow. We need more arcade racers like this on the Switch, or just in general. Racers that resemble that of the 90s arcade scene. Sega should be all over this, but they are so beyond out of touch with their arcade IP.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

HotGoomba

Pizzamorg wrote:

So things like HUD elements, maps etc all run this risk when playing games as depending on how long you play they have the risk of being burnt onto the screen.

Most of the things you listed are either moving constantly (maps), or disappear when your afk or aren't on the screen long enough to do much damage unless you're playing for over eight hours of gameplay (HUD and Maps).

JaxonH

Removed - inappropriate language

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

I love the new new Bluetooth audio option, I had a dongle already, but this is just so much more convenient

It works perfectly with my regular AirPods, I just need to go to the menu to reconnect them when I want to use them, no need to re-pair them every time.

It would be awesome to have quick access to that menu though.

Edit: I would absolutely buy an Oled Lite.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Snatcher

Wooo I love the Bluetooth option, I use Ear buds, so I really needed it.

@Eel I too would get one if it wasn't for the fact mine is just fine.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

Glad you guys are enjoying the Bluetooth. If it makes some people happy then I am all for it as an option.

Personally I think the lag is unbearable and the audio quality is incredibly inadequate. Even tested my Arctis 9 Wireless out of curiosity and ya, the lag was noticeable. But, maybe some devices do better than others.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

I only notice a very small amount of lag in the the menu. Once in the games, if it’s there, it’s not enough to bother me.

As for the audio quality, if it’s any lower or not compared to wired earbuds, I can’t tell.

The convenience is excellent though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

BenAV

I pretty much only use my headphones with my Switch when I'm playing a rhythm games and the Bluetooth audio isn't viable for that due to the lag. Happy for the option to be there though.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Eel
It just depends on what your reference is. There's some really bad wired earbuds out there. Some insanely good ones too though. But even the best, high end earbuds can't match headphones.

It's one of those things where, as long as you don't known what you're missing, you won't miss it (provided the lag is bearable, of course).

For years I used wireless and thought the same thing. Then one day I wondered, "is there something to all this talk of better audio? Or is it just fluff? I wanna find out for myself" and ordered a decent, entry level pair of wired open back over ear headphones from Sennheiser. And immediately was like... woah. It felt like original sin, when Adam suddenly realized he was naked. I suddenly realized the audio I thought was just as good, wasn't just as good. And then I thought, well, I wonder if more expensive headphones sound even better? And it led me down a very, VERY expensive rabbit hole. One I don't regret, but ya.

Suffice it to say, unless you actually listen to something far better, it'll sound fine. Ignorance can be bliss, after all.

Pizzamorg

Removed - inappropriate language

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
??

I say what I need to say, whether it be 2 sentences or multiple paragraphs. Attacking an argument by focusing on the “length of a reply” is illogical and frankly, is evidence of you not really having anything substantial to add.

I don’t need to “convince myself”. I’m already convinced. If I wasn’t convinced I wouldn’t have bought an OLED TV, an OLED Switch, OLED phone and OLED tablet. I put my money where my mouth is. I don’t just say the concerns are negligible, I back it up by my actions. And you can always tell a person‘s true beliefs by their actions, not their words. My actions speak for themselves.

Nobody’s trying to convince you to go buy an OLED. I believe I already mentioned, if someone genuinely has concerns then they shouldn’t buy one. Say you’d rather not deal with the risk, however minor it may be, and move along. But you seem determined to convince the world OLED is some imminent risk to anyone who dares buy one, despite the fact tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of people are using them just fine every day.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
??

I say what I need to say, whether it be 2 sentences or multiple paragraphs. Attacking an argument by focusing on the “length of a reply” is illogical and frankly, is evidence of you not really having anything substantial to add.

I don’t need to “convince myself”. I’m already convinced. If I wasn’t convinced I wouldn’t have bought an OLED TV, an OLED Switch, OLED phone and OLED tablet. I put my money where my mouth is. I don’t just say the concerns are negligible, I back it up by my actions. And you can always tell a person‘s true beliefs by their actions, not their words. My actions speak for themselves.

Nobody’s trying to convince you to go buy an OLED. I believe I already mentioned, if someone genuinely has concerns then they shouldn’t buy one. Say you’d rather not deal with the risk, however minor it may be, and move along. But you seem determined to convince the world OLED is some imminent risk to anyone who dares buy one, despite the fact tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of people are using them just fine every day.

Read my original message again and stop being an absolute drama queen.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic