Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 58,081 to 58,100 of 69,999

StuTwo

It's slightly interesting that the trailer takes all of its marketing cues from the Wii/DS era: large open plan house showing a young woman playing the game sitting in the kitchen, lots of shots of a family playing the game together, camera more frequently on them - not on the game itself.

Maybe after Animal Crossing and with the console gradually reducing in price over time (certainly in the second hand market) and knowing they now have a modest but significant stable of Wii/DS style software (Worldwide Games, Miitomo, Switch Fit Adventure) Nintendo feels like they are in a position to attract some of the "blue ocean" audience back...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Haruki_NLI

@StuTwo It mimics what they did with the 3DS too. Later in life, once the core franchises were all, or mostly, represented, you then target that secondary market. For 3DS, that was young people and females.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

IceClimbers

Definitely didn't expect them to bring Big Brain Academy back! Endless Ocean next please!!!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

jump

Are we forgetting Karen from the first Switch trailer? They have been promoting young adults and females from the get go even if it does make them look like nutters who want to play Mario Kart when people are trying to drink and party!

Untitled

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

StuTwo

@jump I think the marketing focus from the original Switch reveal trailer (and most of the marketing since) has been very different though - this ad is very evocative of the Wii and DS marketing. I mean if you look even at Karen she was a single adult woman (I wonder why?), she wasn't lounging around her huge show-house kitchen before playing mini-games with the kids on the giant TV with everyone sat on the sofa.

It's clearly very deliberate from Nintendo.

StuTwo

jump

StuTwo wrote:

I mean if you look even at Karen she was a single adult woman (I wonder why?)

I was poking at Haruki's comment but I'm so tempted to answer your question here to see everyone kick off again. lol

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

StuTwo

@jump Yeah - I kind of think the reality is that we're all a bit "Karen" (and even if that weren't the case I don't think it's fair to mock "Karens"). "Karen" - represents so many of the women (and men) who bought the Switch at launch. We occasionally play too much and talk too much about games, too enthusiastically, in "grown up" situations.

To be fair as well - I think that it was perfect marketing from Nintendo to say that if you're a single adult at home in a small flat nursing a glass of wine in an evening then Switch is for you and it can become a gateway into a social world.

"Karen" is clearly a very different demographic to the adults being targeted in this new ad though.

StuTwo

gcunit

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't touch that fringe with a ten foot barge pole.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Clyde_Radcliffe

IceClimbers wrote:

Definitely didn't expect them to bring Big Brain Academy back! Endless Ocean next please!!!

How does Big Brain Academy compare to Brain Training/Age? I've only played the former. It looks more colourful and fun!

Clyde_Radcliffe

Magician

Evidently developer Virtuos has finished their work on attempting to fix the PC port of FFXIII in time for its addition to Xbox Game Pass. I wonder if this at all signals the possibility of a Switch port? Their Switch port of The Outer Worlds was not great, so I'm hesitant to get excited either way.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/09/01/coming-soon-xbox-game-...

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@Magician
Outer Worlds was simply too demanding and poorly coded at the source.

Virtuous did a spectacular job with Bioshock Collection. They even did a great job with XCOM 2.

So it's abundantly clear they are top tier, and Outer Worlds has little to do with their skill and everything to do with the game itself.

FFXIII is a PS3 game. Not even a Remastered PS4 game. It's a PS3 game. A Switch version would be at least as good as on 360, but most likely even better than that, given the objective superiority of Bioshock on Switch vs 360

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

HotGoomba

@Magician I don't think that it was completely Virtous's fault that The Outer Worlds' Switch port was iffy. It was because the game was more demanding than even something like The Witcher 3.

Meanwhile, Virtous made amazing work for Bioshock Collection, and since FFXIII is also a PS3 game, I expect Virtous to do a great job with an FFXIII port.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Anti-Matter

I have finished my FF XIII PS3 since April 2021 and i still didn't feel satisfied with FF XIII due to its difficulty game (too hard), too linear storyline, really butthurt to get money, No mini games to play, No proper parameter for characters (Only HP, Strength and Magic), All about Stagger exploitation during battle, etc.
I personally don't care with FF XIII remastered on Switch as FF XIII is the last Roman Number Final Fantasy i still give a chance to play despite its major flaws. Not sure with FF XIII-2 on PS3 but i definetely don't care and don't like Lightning Returns.

Anti-Matter

Magician

@JaxonH @HotGoomba I suppose my comment on Virtuos's work on The Outer Worlds was at best only part of the story. Overall I find their ports to be alright.

XCOM 2 Collection (haven't played, heard the port is fine)
BioShock: The Collection (haven't played, heard stories of save file corruption in BS1)
Starlink: Battle for Atlas (played, good port)
Dark Souls Remastered (played, some poor audio quality but otherwise good port)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 (played, good port)
Final Fantasy XII (played, good port)
L.A. Noire (played, good port)

Maybe not the best when compared to the work Panic Button, Nightdive, or Iron Galaxy have put forth...but well enough. However, my main question is FFXIII. I know I'm in the minority when I say that I consider XIII to be the third best entry in the series (behind IV and VI). And there were interviews with Virtuos earlier this year mentioning that more Switch ports were coming.

So...maybe?

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Maaryotyme

Not to derail the thread but maybe post this on the PlayStation thread

Maaryotyme

OorWullie

I spotted a game called Tails of Iron on the Eshop that's looking really promising. I haven't noticed anybody talking about it. I really love the graphical style, similar style to Hollow Knight's but more detailed. Gameplay wise, it seems like a 2D Dark Souls. I just hope the gameplay has had as much effort put into it as the graphics clearly have.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

FragRed

@IceClimbers I saw all this on Twitter and immediately cancelled my physical copy. Will wait till it's hopefully patched before considering buying it now.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Anti-Matter

Oh, well.
Sonic Colours Wii version is your alternative choice, folks.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic