Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 55,781 to 55,800 of 69,981

Snatcher

@JaxonH you posted twice btw.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@Snatcher Probably a browser error or something. I've had times where posts showed up 3 times back to back. Doesn't happen often though.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

Excited for TH1+2 but I wish these publishers would do day and date with other systems or at least an announcement. I have to double dip now.

However I am mostly buying switch exclusives or games I wouldn’t buy anywhere else (jrpgs for instance) first now so I am getting less burned by this. It is still annoying though.

Also clearing my backlog is saving me money.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

FragRed

It looks like Nintendo are really ramping up development of something hardware related, and if it’s true this is more they’ve ever spent on R&D in a single year, I’m curious to know what it is they are investing in. I assume software comes under R&D to some degree too?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

jump

@FragRed R&D doesn’t automatically mean hardware. It can include games and gimmick toys like LABO and Mario Kart Live.

I use to work for a restaurant chain and their R&D department was two guys in a kitchen and lots of all expenses paid trips to taste food in other countries.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

FragRed

@jump Ohhh thanks, that makes sense. There goes all my planned insider leak rumours I was going to post about the Switch Pro

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

FragRed wrote:

It looks like Nintendo are really ramping up development of something hardware related, and if it’s true this is more they’ve ever spent on R&D in a single year, I’m curious to know what it is they are investing in. I assume software comes under R&D to some degree too?

Not sure what Nintendo's specific definition is but wouldn't just about everything Nintendo makes be R&D? I mean other than the physical hardware itself, marketing and things like property what are Nintendo's expenses? Salaries for software developers and hardware engineers. Which would be R&D.

If you actually look at their report under the section where they outline their expenses they list four items. Capital investments, depreciation of property/plant/equipment, R&D and Advertising. The people working on the next Zelda game? They fall under R&D. So do the people working on their next piece of hardware, and the people working on that Pikmin mobile app, and that one guy in the corner they haven't checked on for years who's working on updating the Switch UI

With that said, they did spend a good 30% more than they did a couple of years ago on R&D. And they decided to do that rather than just building an even larger cash buffer, which Nintendo definitely likes to do. So I think it's fair to say they're ramping up their R&D spend for some reason. New hardware? Maybe. More content? Probably. More content to push new hardware? .....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

As a side note, if you look at that same graph their previous R&D spend spikes were in 2013/14, 2010/11, 2005/6 and to a lesser extent 2015/16. Which if you put on your conspiracy theory hats does seem to generally line up with just before a major hardware launch.

The exception being 2013/14 which was also one of the biggest spikes.... which doesn't fit that narrative so I'm just going to ignore. Kinda does line up with when Splatoon, 3D World, Mario Kart 8 & Smash Bros WiiU/3DS were starting development but. Probably was part of the money sink that was transitioning to HD game development and "what can we do to turn Wii U around" era Nintendo

Edited on by skywake

Giancarlothomaz

@Slowdive i see so developing games for Switch is becoming more expensive for Nintendo?, they must have severals high profile softwares that require a lot of resouces,Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3 and Nintendo EPD tokyo new game?

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

WarioOfTheYear

Was just looking back at the first page... those were some strange guesses. Though I can't make fun of it since my guess was completely wrong too.

WarioOfTheYear

WarioOfTheYear

@jump That makes sense but I still wonder what if they make the pro what it will be like?

WarioOfTheYear

skywake

WarioOfTheYear wrote:

Was just looking back at the first page... those were some strange guesses. Though I can't make fun of it since my guess was completely wrong too.

haha, yeah. I mean 2015 me is pretty good at points, I quite like these:

SkywakeofthePast wrote:

That said, moving back to cartridges? [....] I think by the time it's a truly viable option again, and that day will come, digital distribution will be the main game.

SkywakeofthePast wrote:

I think it's reasonable to assume that there will be some form of shared framework that allows games to be developed for both devices at once easily. It only makes sense. That said I don't think "NX" is code for an entire ecosystem of products.

I mean you know, good on ya there Mr past me. Even if not entirely right these aren't bad theories. Even though the "shared framework, different hardware" was wrong if the Switch Pro becomes a thing it might not be that wrong. And across XBOne/PS4/XBS/PS5/PC that's definitely a thing now. But with that said, past me is also a bit of an arrogant meany mc mean pants who's still holding onto the idea of the Wii U recovering somehow. And that's most of what screws up past-me's theory.....

SkywakeofthePast wrote:

I don't think the NX is the codename for that entire generation of products. I think the NX is the first and the other ones will come later. And going further I think that the first device will be a portable system. Purely because I think it'll be far easier to impress us with new portable hardware.

Then a year or so after that they come out with the next generation not-NX home console. Which launches with a library that includes more visually impressive versions of games already out on NX. Possibly with cross-buy to drag people in but not necessarily. That's my prediction.

With hindsight, obviously not smart to base your predictions on Nintendo trying to be competitive on spec. Was never going to happen, hasn't happened for a long time. And the Switch was primarily about replacing the Wii U even though it is a portable that also replaced 3DS. I'm sure several dozen pages further into this thread I'm probably trying to make the case for why Breath of the Wild will remain a Wii U exclusive.....

Edited on by Eel

Magician

@Ryu_Niiyama

Amazing!

By coincidence I've been watching some Lets Plays of Dark Alliance I & II recently, remembering how good those games were. Maybe not top-tier gameplay like in Diablo III, but the world building and voice work are really strong in the DA games.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

@Giancarlothomaz Tomorrow perhaps, in the past Nintendo would confirm E3 plans the day after the fiscal year earnings are revealed. If not then within the next few weeks.

As for what, I think it'll be a Direct on June 15th with as usual it being the last presentation of the show.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic