Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 52,221 to 52,240 of 69,981

link3710

Alright, so with NEO:TWEWY confirmed for next year, that's yet another big third party title for an insane year. And while it's not exclusive, everything about it points to it being developed for the Switch first and foremost suggesting it'll run well too which is what really matters. 2021 is looking to be THE year for third-party games on Switch at this point.

link3710

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM yea just saw a little bit ago. I really wish some of those games that were released in 2017 and 2018 were discounted a little heavier but oh well. I have some other stuff to play for the time being.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM yea I might just hold out for the Xmas sale which will probably have 75% of the same stuff anyway.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Or other games you like, at least.... My usual problem with the deals is finding I already own the games I'd like

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

AndyD

well, looks like the eshop sale is underway...almost 1300 games. As mentioned above, I wondered if the sale leading up to Christmas will be better

Edited on by AndyD

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Magician

It took me a couple years but I finally fired up my copy of Lego Worlds. Then I was shocked and appalled to discover that a save file for Lego World eats 1.8 GB of onboard storage. And here I thought DQ Builders 2 had the worst memory-hungry saves. That onboard storage is more precious than gold, baby.

Lego Worlds immediately went into the trade pile.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@link3710
everything about it points to it being developed for the Switch first and foremost suggesting it'll run well too which is what really matters

Exactly right. It’s not about gatekeeping to prevent others from enjoying a game in an effort to boost ego, it’s about games being optimized properly so we can actually enjoy it to the fullest on Switch. Exclusivity achieves that, but so does games which choose Switch as the target platform.

At the end of the day, as long as Switch is the primary platform the game is designed around, I don’t care if they hand it out for free in paper grab bags on the street corner or release it on every console, toaster and appliance from here to China. It doesn’t affect me because I’ll be playing on Switch, the land of the free and home of the toilet seat.

edit
Speaking of letting others opinions affect my viewpoint, I saw WWE Battlegrounds on sale on the eShop and it piqued my interest, so I looked up some gameplay since I’d forgotten how it had turned out... and holy smokes! It looks 🔥 I bought it physically but never got around to playing it. This game looks really good on the handheld and seems to have solid performance- in fact, this is exactly what I’ve been wanting for a wrestling game. Well, as close as I’ll ever get, anyways. I remember when WWE 18 released on Switch and it was a broken, buggy mess- I was really disappointed because I was starving for an arcade like wrestling experience. And I know that game was more of a sim, but it was the closest thing we were getting. After that I had written off wrestling games. People mentioned some pixelated retro throwbacks but those never interested me. This is it. This is the wrestling game I’ve been wanting on Switch! It’s arcady, it looks and runs well, and has classic characters I know and love. I know you can buy some kind of virtual currency but I think it’s for nonsense that doesn’t really matter- cosmetic crap for the people who are into all that. I couldn’t care less. I think you can buy characters too. But it’s got all the characters unlockable in game.

I know reviews crapped all over it and complained about characters of the same class sharing the majority of their move sets, but honestly, I’m ok with that. It’s still a huge leap from the N64 titles, which is the experience I’ve been chasing all these years. I just want to play as Hulk and Steve Austin. And I’m not even a wrestling fan- I certainly don’t watch wrestling. But I did as a kid and I really enjoyed those games on N64. With Switch recapturing a lot of those classic experiences, it only seems right to have at least one good wrestling game on the system to play.

Besides, I don’t think this is a game I’d play long enough for repetition to set in anyways. This is a “once in a while to relive the nostalgia” tier release.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jump

@JaxonH it’s odd you want a N64 like wrestling experience but then say you want something arcadey as the likes of No Mercy were more sim based than arcade.

Battlegrounds art style really puts me off and in conjunction with the ridiculous amount of grinding to unlock the roster I’m not touching it until I see the game and pass in a dirt cheap sale.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JaxonH

@jump
The N64 games were pick up and play. Sims today are an entirely different beast. Not to say I wouldn't take a sim also, but they've been disasters.

There's only a few key characters I want. Just playing the game normally is enough for that. But I do wish the characters were easier to unlock. Think it takes a weekend of playing to unlock 25% of the 70 or so characters. So a month of playing every weekend to get them all.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jump

@JaxonH I disagree with that, the actual gameplay is a sim and not arcadey. The AKI/N64 games were famous for being more simulation based as opposed to the arcade like wrestling games that came before it with their grappling system. In No Mercy you'd have to target limbs to pull off submissions, career mode, counters, knowledge of the move pools of the wrestlers etc which are all more akin to the 2k games whilst Battlegrounds is a very arcade based fighting title.

I think you're thinking of WWE All Stars or something which most people were comparing Battlegrounds to when announced.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

JaxonH

@jump
Its been 20+ years since I've played. All I remember is picking up those games and playing them and having fun without any knowledge of anything, which is what this provides. I do remember the grappling, and that was awesome. Wish this had it. But it doesnt, so what are ya gonna do.

Again, I'd take a sim too, but A they're disasters as already stated, B they're way more realistic than the games of old. Like most sports games, theyve taken the sim element to the extreme. Which makes the older games feel less like a modern sim and more like an arcade like experience, grappling or no grappling.

Edited on by JaxonH

jump

@JaxonH I think you should trying playing a copy/emulation of No Mercy again as you don't seem to remember it that well. The major difference between the 2K games and No Mercy is you didn't need to grapple every time you wanted to do a move for a faster paced game. It one of the things that really holds back the late 90s games was they weren't fluid like they are now. The joy of those games was an accessible yet deep controls and moves (like Smash Bros) where any idiot could pick it up but you need to learn the moves and picks the limbs to really win.

The issues with 2k is nothing to do with being too sim like. The complaints about the 2K games are the same thing every year, it's a rushed product using the same engine for far too long so the glitches and limitations were adding up as their Frankenstein's monster kept being stitched together and it all came to a crash when Yukes left and the new company couldn't handle it.

Nicolai wrote:

JaxonH

@jump
I never referred to any objective issue with 2k. I was speaking about my issues with the games. I have WWE 2K18. And I've formed opinions based on my experience. And those opinions are exactly as stated above.

I dont care if you like/dont like the game or if you feel it harkens back to the older games or not. I'm saying for me it does.

The fact any idiot can pick it up and play is exactly what I'm looking for. I believe I've found something that closely resembles that experience. Its not the same game, but it provides that same kind of pick up and play experience, with classic characters I actually know and love. What more is there to say. Do I wish we could just get a modern remake of the old N64 games on Switch? Absolutely. But since that's never going to happen, this will due in the meantime. If something better comes along down the line, I'll be on it.

At this point, Battlegrounds is the only game in town for a good handheld wrestling game. And despite its flaws, there's alot to love for a casual wrestling fan like myself. Maybe it doesnt scratch the itch for those looking for more sim like depth, and perhaps one day we'll get a sequel that improves on the formula. That would be great.

Btw its $15 on Amazon right now.

Edited on by JaxonH

jump

JaxonH wrote:

@jump
I never referred to any objective issue with 2k.

Actually you did ;p

JaxonH wrote:

@ I remember when WWE 18 released on Switch and it was a broken, buggy mess-

I still completely disagree with you, one is an ancient sim and the other is a shallow arcade game with the only common ground is they are wrestling games.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

JaxonH

@jump
Not sure why you're being so hostile and argumentative.

I shared my opinions on the games. But you seem to be unwilling to accept anyone feeling differently than you do.

jump

@Jaxonh How am I being hostile? I'm disagreeing with you by stating facts and experiences that these different games are different and not touching on your own feeling towards the games.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

JaxonH

@jump
The line by line quote rebuttals are a pretty good indicator, I'd say.

As I mentioned before, I dont care if you disagree or feel differently, I'm just sharing my feelings about it, to which you continually insist I'm "wrong"

1UP_MARIO

Pikmin 3 4 coaster set from mynintendo

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic