Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 52,061 to 52,080 of 69,964

Grumblevolcano

So far my top 10 GotY list for this year so far is looking like it'll be:
1. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
2. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (based on what I've played so far)
3. Age of Calamity (based on the demo)
4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
5. Gears Tactics (based on what I've played so far)
6. Super Mario 3D All Stars (would be higher if it had Galaxy 2)
7. Paper Mario The Origami King
8. Wonderful 101 Remastered (based on what I've played so far)
9. Clubhouse Games
10. Panzer Dragoon Remake

I imagine Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light will end up being at least 9th and if I get around to Ori that'll likely also be in the top 10.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarioVillager92

Animal Crossing: New Horizons would be my pick for game of the year, personally. To me it's the perfect game to relax with, especially in difficult times. Playing with that community in the AC:NH thread enhanced the experience for me, too.

I also enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles: DE, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and Paper Mario: The Origami King.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

TheFrenchiestFry

Not counting remasters or enhanced re-releases my GOTY would go to Final Fantasy VII Remake so far, but counting them I'd put Persona 5 Royal and Xenoblade DE in very a very close second and third place

I really didn't play that much this year. A lot of it is due to school/uni stuff, a lot of it is due to not much coming out in general, and I also still refuse to go anywhere near Super Mario 3D All Stars if it means one less person isn't buying a full priced limited time half-assed excuse of a port job.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is whatever. Maybe I'm still salty that this is what became of the Fire Emblem x SMT game when it could've totally been better off as its own unique Atlus IP, but I found the dungeon design extremely bland, the characters kind of uninteresting, and the social events trying way too hard to be Persona in a lot of ways. The big thing that holds it up is its excellent combat system

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ryu_Niiyama

@theJGG No problem, thank you for the apology.

I try to buy physical especially if I know it is a game I won’t start right away (I usually rotate about 5 games at a time) but some games I wish I had gotten digitally. Granted I bought the CE of BOTW but a part of me wishes that I’d gotten a digital copy due to the size (of the game itself not the digital footprint) and the fact that I tend to replay Zelda games. I stopped getting fighting games physically because I play them too much. Even still most of my Nintendo produced games are physical. I just have over 300 games so there is only so much digital space to go around haha!

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

Don’t see the difference between $20 Wii/PS2 virtual console games and 3 N64, GC, Wii VC console games bundled together, finally rendering in HD with redone gyro and the added value of both handheld and console. And given its 3 of the most beloved games of all time on top of it, it seems like a far better deal than a lot of the other stuff out there, even if it is half assed.

I’d say Borderlands 2 on Switch with gyro and handheld hybrid play is one of the best experiences of the year to me. And Ori Will of the Wisps. Having that game on my Switch Lite is a dream come true, just like the first. Xenoblade Chronicles and Pikmin 3, both some of my favorite games of all time. Trails of Cold Steel 3 also excellent. And Paper Mario was great. Not a masterpiece, but definitely one of the better games I played this year. I imagine Sniper Elite 4, with its HD rumble for heartbeats when holding breath to snipe and gyro aiming, I imagine that will also be one of my favorites this year.

Some good PS games this year too- notably FFVIIR, Persona 5R and Miles Morales, even if I haven’t played much of any of them. Persona 4 on Steam was also a big one.

Now the wait is on for Hyrule Warriors, Mario 3D World, Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories, Shin Megami Tensei V, No More Heroes 3, Trails of Cold Steel IV, YS IX, Bayonetta 3 and Zelda BotW 2. Hopefully all of which will release in 2021. I’d love to add Metroid Prime 4 to that list, but that’s a 2023 release at best, maybe even a cross gen launch title for Switch 2. Oh, and Doom Eternal will probably be a spring release. Been waiting to see how that one turns out.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I really don't care about the fact that they're rendered in HD. That's like the bare minimum. This collection would've been an absolute scam without that to begin with. It's just that when so many other third parties have put so much love and respect into collecting games in a series like Bluepoint with Uncharted and MGS, M2 with like 4 different Mega Man collections filled to the brim with extras and content that was way more than worth what they were charging, in addition to the stellar Konami collections, on top of Nintendo having proven themselves that they could make the novelty of owning these games in a single package feel worth its asking price with an example like the collection they did for Kirby's 20th on Wii, it's almost shocking how much they seemed to not care when putting these games together, and yet they had the gall to not just charge full price (which is like 80 bucks in Canada minus tax), but it's a limited time release even digitally and they bafflingly omitted Galaxy 2, which gave the collection one less game than the original 2D All Stars package

This next to those terrible MGS PC ports on GOG serves as a reminder to me at least that you can take an idea that would sound extremely appealing to me on paper, but still screw it up so badly that I'm just not willing to put up with the BS. There is literally nothing here that I couldn't just get out of emulation and then some. The whole point of these compilations is having the novelty of owning the games physically, but if the content isn't more than just the bare minimum and doesn't justify what they charge for it, then it's honestly not worth the effort no matter if they slap "limited time offer" onto the screen or not for me. I don't care if anyone says that the games themselves justify the asking price. It's a collection. Make it sound like you actually care about what you're putting together instead of these three glorified ROM dumps we did get.

Mini rant over. Honestly I'd take 50 SMT Nocturne HD's over this poor excuse any day

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry

Putting aside the "limited time only!" thing, I'd say the games in the SM3DAS collection are a good deal. Nintendo was charging $20 on Wii U for untouched Wii game ports like Xenoblade and Galaxy 2. 3D All-Stars improves the resolution, cleans up some texture work, reworks the controls in some cases (even adding different control schemes in the case of Galaxy), etc. It's also worth mentioning that it'll quickly get expensive if you try to find boxed copies of Sunshine online.

It's definitely not the best value ever, especially not in a time of fully remade collections of games, like they did with Crash and Spyro, but it's hardly the highway robbery you're positioning it as.

SMT III: Nocturne HD IS highway robbery. It'll likely be $59.99 for an HD port of a PS2 game that's widely available for peanuts online, suffers from performance issues, compressed audio, and barely touches up the game at all (aside from the addition of voice acting). Even Nintendo did some basic work to make the cutscenes in Sunshine fill the screen. That's not even taking into account that the game has DLC!

Still worth it for newbies to experience one of the best RPGs ever made, and for me to have the game on a portable console, but still.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I seriously doubt they're charging full price on Nocturne. It's probably going to be more in line with a 35-40 dollar release instead of full price. Plus I'm pretty sure Full Body on Switch is definitely cheaper than the PS4 release when it first launched, and P4G on PC is definitely way cheaper than trying to hunt down a physical Vita copy.

That being said I've grown increasingly hesitant on Nocturne anyway so I'm starting to second guess myself. It honestly would've been way worse if they just threw the PS2 version onto the eShop and charged like 40 bucks. At least they attempted to remaster the game in a new engine and went as far as adding voice acting, even though there is still a lot in that collection that's left to be desired.

3D All Stars was honestly about as poor of an assemblage of games as the Castlevania Requiem collection on PS4 which bundled together Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night with next to no touchups. Nocturne HD's a poor excuse of a remaster that allegedly took 2 years to develop, but in terms of collections themselves, this is probably the new low for years to come. It's honestly dumbfounding how badly Nintendo screwed this up

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Catherine's Switch port is awesome. It runs well, got a full physical release, cost $49.99 at launch, and came with all DLC bundled in. It's the model example of what a PS4 --> Switch port should look like.

If Nocturne gets a $39.99 physical release, its limitations will be a lot easier to swallow. Although it's still kind of equivalent to paying the same for one of those SM3DAS collection games.

I definitely understand the annoyance at Nintendo's recent strategy of releasing games for a limited time only, though. It sets a terrible precedent. It's basically weaponized FOMO: "Buy our thing now or miss out forever!" I won't let it stop me from buying games I want, but I understand if you're in a place where you don't feel right supporting a business model like that.

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry @Ralizah
Ya, if we were talking about SNES games I could understand. But when it’s games that are typically sold for $20 each anyways without any changes whatsoever, it’s hard for me to pretend I’m angry about getting an HD version that’s double the value by being a TV version and handheld version in one. And that is absolutely something I care about. I never understood the desire to play these games in their pixelated form. If it’s not rendered in HD I’m probably not gonna be interested.

You can always point to another game that offers more value in terms of effort put into it, but I have never once in my entire life based my assessment of value on effort put into it. Otherwise, with the rise of AAA games, literally everything else would be a rip off by that metric. I don’t care one iota about the effort put in, I care about what I’m getting out. And had they sold these as virtual console games I would’ve paid $20 each all day long. Just as I paid $20 for many a Wii game on Wii U and many a PS2 game on PS4 and many a PSP game on Vita. Can anyone here honestly claim they haven’t done the same? Bought zero PSP games on the Vita? Zero PS2 games on PS4? Zero Wii games on Wii U? Same price with even less effort. If there was no outrage then, it’s rather hypocritical to be outraged now. You can’t cherry pick Mario but say nothing about the countless PSP, PS2 and Wii games that are priced exactly the same with even less “effort” put into them, and which give plenty of precedent for fair market value.

The limited availability makes little sense now. But like most things, a year from now when they’re being sold as VC games, we’re all probably going to look back and wonder why we wasted a year complaining about it. Not that I care anyways, because the game is readily abundant everywhere, both physically and digitally. If it truly does turn out to be limited I will be the first to say I don’t understand it in the slightest, but neither will I have an issue with it. There’s already 5+ million copies sold and probably will be 10 million by March. It’s not like the game is scarce.

I’ve always said, just because one game offers more value doesn’t mean other games aren’t worth theirs. Otherwise any full price game that has less than a $100 million budget is objectively offering less.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Anti-Matter

The limited time of Mario 3D All Stars forced me to consider that games before March 2021. It also interrupting my gaming purchase schedule.
Well, i'm glad there a lot of supplies of that game in my country but honestly i'm not really in the mood to play 3D Mario games right now.
If i have to buy it quickly, just in case to get the game first play later.

Anti-Matter

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Honestly it's not even just the limited availability. I think this collection in general in the state it's in doesn't remotely justify that model either. It's basically grabbing you by the balls at that point telling you to give into your temptation because Mario's on the cover and you only have one shot. I'm honestly so glad I waited on reviews for this thing because if I caved into the hype like everyone else and pre-ordered (which what I was almost considering), I probably would've felt cheated with how barebones the offering actually is. This collection isn't so prestigious that it deserves to be a limited time deal. It's not any more special than just emulating it to me because there's little to no novelty outside of "hey, you own the games now"

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

Normally I’d agree about emulation (even though that same argument holds true for Wii games on Wii U, PS2 games on PS4 and PSP games on Vita, which many here have still partaken in regardless of emulators existing), but not for Mario Galaxy and not for games on Switch.

If it were a normal console that did nothing different than a PC, then sure. I can see that. But you’re not just getting a duplicate version of what you can play on PC, you’re getting a legit handheld hybrid version. And that is exclusively available on the Nintendo switch. Furthermore, syncing up Wiimotes in Dolphin sucks. I’ve never been able to get them to work properly with motion that doesn’t lag. Not to mention having to set up another light bar that runs on batteries and have to worry about swapping them out every 10 hours...

Nah. I’m good. That is in no way in a position to challenge the value offered by the Mario 3D collection, which for the record, I don’t think anyone bought because they caved in to hype. People bought it because they genuinely want the games on switch.

Edited on by JaxonH

jedgamesguy

@Ryu_Niiyama Before the pandemic hit file size dictated whether I'd get a game physical or digital. Sometimes if I have some gold points to throw about I'll spent some on games like Celeste, Stardew Valley, and Undertale, which are high quality indie games that are all pretty small, and deliver an almost professional experience. I don't usually like indie games, having played AAA first party games all my life, but something about those three, and hopefully more in the future, screamed "quality, polish, and care". And despite extended shipping times in England I managed to get a standard physical copy of Xenoblade DE, considering how big the game is digitally. It takes up less than 50MB on the Switch because of a small Day 1 patch. Silly how I'd break my own rules, but your comment earlier hit me, and I'll probably have to get another microSD card for more digital games.

@TheFrenchiestFry There were two sides to my buying 3D All Stars. On one hand, I had never played any of these games in my life, barring 64 DS, so the value was excellent and I got to experience games I missed out on. But I do realise the horrible business practice that Nintendo's doing with not only this, but also the Fire Emblem localisation. It seems like the only reason they're doing it is to boost sales during the second and third quarters of their fiscal year (Mar-Mar). It's likely someone else has said this, but I get the impression the creative geniuses like Miyamoto, Tezuka, Kondo, Koizumi, Fujibayashi, et al. work in a different office, and that the business side is completely unrelated. As a game developer, they are my childhood, and they make some of the greatest games that I have ever played, let alone existed. But as a business and as a company they have a lot of questionable tactics, and this is but one of many.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Ryu_Niiyama

Amazon (US) is doing a buy 2 get 1 sale to match Target. Keep in mind not all versions of a release are included but you may find something to knock off your list.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@ToadBrigade
Ya, I’d say so. The battle system isn’t the best, but it’s serviceable enough. People complain they can’t figure out to line them up perfectly each time, that’s exactly what made it interesting to me. It wasn’t a binary thing where you either lined them up perfectly or don’t line them up perfectly, it was a gradient. It was a full gradient scale where the better you lined them up the more enemies you would attack and the less damage you would then take in return. If you lined it up 65% of the way then 35% of the enemies would be left for you to take damage from. So it was a constant challenge to line the enemies up as best as you could within the time given. The fact you couldn’t get them all perfect was what kept it from being boring because if you could do it perfect every time you would never take damage.

The boss fights are excellent though. Exploration is awesome. HD Rumble is fantastic. There’s areas where you walk through tall wheatfields and the HD rumble is all you have to go on to find a Toad. You really need to play with split joy con to get the full effect.

@theJGG
Given Animal Crossing I don’t think they need sales boosted this FY. To put it another way, this will probably be their best fiscal year to date, which means other years would “need” it more, they never did anything of the sort in previous years. I think there’s another explanation.

An unverified leak claimed Nintendo is going to be upgrading the virtual Consol apps into a single app that also sells games, and these games are going to be sold on that app, and Nintendo was just looking for a way to cash in on some sales before that happens. We’ll find out whether it’s true in due time.

As for business practices, nintendo’s not perfect by any means. But if the worst criticism against them is a limited release for an anniversary, I’d say they fall in the top 1% of good practice companies. Not to say they shouldn’t be given a pass on everything, but seriously... if you look at what other companies are doing and then you look at Nintendo, they’re virtually saints (aside from not adequately addressing Joycon Drift- that’s probably the one genuine complaint I have against them). And I don’t even let most other companies get under my skin, even EA with full price legacy editions and gambling and 3 separate lawsuits, one for coercing players into MTX with deceptive algorithms.

Edited on by JaxonH

jedgamesguy

@JaxonH I watched the KingK video on 3D All Stars and his conclusion was something along the lines of; their legacy content is beyond appalling, and that while we give EA flak, we shouldn't forget "the dagger pressed against our backs". And you pose a valid point, that Nintendo could be worse. I didn't realise that they were "virtual saints" indeed, because I didn't consider the bigger picture. Doesn't make my point completely invalid though. Thanks for your insight, I've learnt something today!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Ralizah

@ToadBrigade The Origami King is fantastic. Some of the best music in the series. Environments are dense and full of secrets. The dungeons are engaging and feel like simplified versions of what you'd find in a Zelda game. And, frankly, the plot is decent, and when it gets emotional, it hits pretty hard.

Just... don't go in expecting a JRPG. It's not. It's an adventure game with puzzle combat.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH It'll be a shame if true, I remember the days of Game Room for 360. A really cool game where you could create your own arcade and play Atari 2600, Intellivision and Arcade games in it but in 2017 it got shut down such that you couldn't even get past the title screen. That kind of shut down type situation comes to mind if Nintendo merged NSO games and paid classics into one app.

On a side note. The shutdowns aside, I really miss that side of Xbox. Stuff like 1 vs. 100, Game Room, Doritos Crash Course, etc. Xbox doesn't do anything like that anymore.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I don’t think that’s gonna be a problem. For all the fear about digital games disappearing, you can still redownload pretty much every game bought on a digital storefront, even the Wii. Even Scott Pilgrim on 360. Not familiar with Game Room, but I would make any presuppositions about Nintendo or Switch based on that. Besides which, I don’t think such an app would ever be “shut down” anyways. If anything they’d just remove access to subscription games.

Xbox 360 was it back in the day. I never owned one but my brother loved it. It should come as no surprise that the system they prioritized exclusives the most for is the system that sold the most. They need to get back to their 360 glory days. I think they will, with all the awesome studios they now own. As long as they actually make their games exclusive. They’ve got to make a choice. Can’t have your cake and eat it too. You can’t have a super popular console that dominates the generation without focusing on exclusives, and lots of them. Multiplat may garner more in the short term, but long-term I think it’s the wrong move. And I have a vested interest in them realizing this fact, because it will mean higher quality output on their behalf. If they don’t really care how well their console does I don’t think they’re going to try as hard to make the best software. Incentive matters.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic