Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,581 to 49,600 of 69,963

BruceCM

Oh, it'll be 3D, @Solaine.... They're doing lots of little updates about it, so when there's enough info, I'll try to put it together in a thread

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

Balan Wonderlands seems... fine. Can’t say I’m that excited for it but I’ll keep an eye on reviews when it drops. The only 3D platformers I really enjoy anymore are Mario and, well, that’s about it. New Super Lucky’s Tale was decent. Hat In Time was decent. But neither hooked me enough to keep playing.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

Leave it to Square-Enix to make a better modern Dreamcast game than Sega, lol.

Balan Wonderworld was the best reveal in that entire presentation, and it wasn't even technically part of the main presentation. Really happy it's coming to Switch.

@JaxonH Let me guess: no Sega nostalgia?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
No, not really. At least, not for anything other than Sonic. Athough I was a Genesis kid, aside from Sonic games and Ballz 3D I can’t recall anything else I played on that system. Despite owning an NES, being my first console, and a SNES, once I hit 2nd grade and my best friend introduced me to Sonic, that was the only system I played until the N64 dropped. I was into drawing as a kid, and Sonic was my art OBSESSION- entire folders packed with Sonic drawings, so naturally, Sonic games were all I played for half a decade. I knew all the codes to get secret sphere bonus levels putting Sonic 1 and Sonic Spinball into the Sonic and Knuckles cart, and even made it past level 400 before giving up. But ya, I didn’t play that many different games on Nintendo either. We could never afford more than a small handful of games throughout the generation, most obtained by my dad at his pawn shop.

Beyond that though, platformers just haven’t been interesting me like they were 5 years ago. Idk why. I remember when DKC Tropical Freeze was announced... I had literal tears of joy. Not even kidding. I don’t think I can recall ever being more excited for a video game in my entire life. And, I still love that game. But platformers just don’t excite me as much now. Maybe it’s a natural cynicism after so many failed to impress over the years (Kirby Star Allies and Yoshi’s Crafted World, ugh, why couldn’t we get Kirby Planet Robobot port or Yoshi’s Wooly World). But really, I just think as I’ve gotten more into gaming, there’s been a natural inclination over time toward adventure/rpg and away from pure platforming. Mario Odyssey reinvigorated my love for the genre (3D, specifically, I haven’t lost as much love for 2D, but I’m still picky) but nothing else has come close.

But who knows. Maybe the game can reach those highs. I just see a lot of creativity in 3D platformers nowadays but not a lot of focus on nailing the mechanics and perfecting the gameplay hook. The game looks absolutely stunning, I guess I’m just not confident they’ll nail the most important aspects, which have nothing to do with looks. I hope my skepticism proves to be unfounded though. I’d love to play another killer 3D platformer.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH While it looks good anyway, I think the game primarily appeals to people who owned and loved systems like the Saturn and Dreamcast. It literally feels like a Nights into Dreams sort of experience, but, of course, on modern consoles.

Not expecting anything incredible, but there aren't enough higher-profile 3D platformers out there, so my standards are perhaps a bit lower than they would be for another genre.

And yeah, YCW and Star Allies are two VERY big disappointments coming off the heels of pretty incredible predecessors (YWW is as close as we're probably ever getting to a Yoshi's Island-tier experience, and, despite finding most Kirby games to be dreadfully boring, I thought Planet Robobot was probably the best original platformer on the 3DS). The demos were enough to put me off completely, and I get most first-party Switch releases.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

Lol the nostalgia for Sonic seems to be some kind of supernatural force. Sonic was really good for like 3 games out of 20, and people still keep hoping.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Glad we agree on Robobot and Wooly World. A testament to the quality of those games, and not just a result my own quirky taste. I never played Nights, but I was gonna say, this Wonderland game does seem to remind me of it.

I hated Kirby’s focus on multiplayer. Like, I get the Switch can be used for on the spot MP, but honestly what percentage of the fanbase’s playtime as a whole is marked by such local MP? And how much is marked by single player? I’m willing to bet it’s grossly in favor of single player, and I’m getting tired of all the games that explicitly focus on local MP at the expense of single player. Just, make a good single player game if it’s a traditionally single player experience. You can still include some multiplayer elements, but don’t build a game in a marquee single player franchise around local MP. The fact we haven’t gotten joycon with a dpad is even more collateral damage due to that mindset.

@Dezzy
I’m done with Sonic. I don’t even dare to hope for good games in that series anymore. Sonic Lost World killed it for me. After that, I was done. But I still love Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic and Knuckles (especially S&K + S3 and S&K + S2, which never seem to be included in releases), Sonic CD and Sonic Mania. Heck, even Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2.

The only way they’ll likely ever get me back on board is with Sonic Adventure 3.

Dezzy

So what time will an announcement be if it's today? Didn't someone say it's usually 3pm GMT?

Edited on by Dezzy

JokerCK

What announcement are you talking about guys ?

JokerCK

Magician

So, that Carrion game. I always wanted to play as The Blob, pretty dope. That dashboard icon for the game though. Yikes. It looks like a grotesque vajayjay.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

jump

JokerCK wrote:

What announcement are you talking about guys ?

There isn't an announcement, people are in denial about the last Direct so they are expecting another one to make up for it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

@JokerCK

I'm expecting an announcement of Octane's comedic skills improving. It's been months and we've heard nothing!

Octane

@Dezzy Don't worry. It's very close to completion.

Octane

Anti-Matter

I wonder if ACNH will get update for events during August 2020. 🤔

Anti-Matter

FragRed

@Dezzy @Octane What you on about? I’ve seen the leaked source codes of the jokes. They just need some modding that’s all.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

sixrings

I don't mind sonic in the Olympic games.

sixrings

Ralizah

@Magician LOL The developers are aware, and are apparently planning on changing it, based on what I've heard.

I liked the Steam demo of the game.

@JaxonH Agreed. I don't mind the inclusion of mp in an otherwise fun single-player game like, say, Super Mario 3D World, but Star Allies just looks... dull. The mp focus of it is a big part of that, but even if you removed that and made it purely single-player, it looks uninspired compared to Robobot. Crafted World COMPLETELY destroyed the gameplay by turning from an accomplished side-scrolling platformer into some sort of weird collect-a-thon where most of the gameplay involves throwing eggs at scenery in the background. Remember how Woolly World had a ton of platforming diversity, actual, honest-to-goodness platforming puzzles, etc.? I don't know how you go from a game like Woolly World to a miss like Crafted World. A new Yoshi game was top of my list for new sequels I was excited about on Switch when it was first announced. I bought Woolly World twice, on both Wii U and 3DS. I love that game. But, even at a discount, I'm probably not going to bother with Crafted World. It's dull.

I'm kind of a strange duck insofar as I don't care about mp almost at all. If it's not sp-focused, chances are I won't even bother with a game.

Edited on by Ralizah

NintendoByNature

I actually loved crafted world. Star allies was a pretty big waste of time though.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic