Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,561 to 49,580 of 50,378

JaxonH

Sounds like XCOM 2 turned out well according to a thorough reddit post.

I'm midway through the tutorial mission. Video capture via the Switch itself is disabled for XCOM 2. So no footage, unfortunately. That said! It's performing...well so far? It definitely doesn't feel as smooth as Borderlands and the visual cut-backs are a little more harsh however with that said, it feels very playable. Nowhere near the disaster I was expecting, at least so far!

Visual downgrades are far more visible once you hit the hangar, where the drop in res is very noticeable and text size becomes more of an issue. More so in Handheld Mode on a Switch lite. Not unreadable, but noticeably blurry. Zooming out to the tactical view disables all shadows. Slight delay in enabling them again once you've zoomed back in. Nothing game-breaking so far though!

What are XCOM 2's load times like?
Relatively snappy. I haven't found myself tapping my fingers while I wait for a mission to load. Perhaps a little longer than PC, but nothing crazy so far!

Handheld mode pics.

Untitled

edit
Dude. All hail Virtuos. They make Panic Button look like amateurs.

Just look at this handheld mode

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Xenoblade, Trails of Cold Steel 3, Borderlands 2, Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, XCOM 2
PC: Persona 4

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020
NS: Paper Mario Origami King, Bravely Default II
PC: Vampire: Masquerade- Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

KryptoniteKrunch

So all 2K games coming look like solid ports, sweet. Slightly odd that 2K was pretty quiet about these releases, but oh well. Definitely buying all of these games once I snag a new microSD.

Edited on by KryptoniteKrunch

Now playing: Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon's Dogma.

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

FragRed

@KryptoniteKrunch I still don't understand why they were all released on the same date. You'd think they want them to all fail or something. Real bizarre.

Edited on by FragRed

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

Magician

@FragRed - 2K Games are probably content with those games simply having a presence on the eShop. Whether the games were given a staggered release or releasing them all at once, the overall expected number of purchases wouldn't be impacted either way.

Switch Physical Collection - 620 games (as of July 1st, 2020)
Currently playing: The Grisaia Trilogy (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

DonnyH

@JaxonH

Thank you for that - most detailed answer I've ever gotten on a forum

DonnyH

Ralizah

@JaxonH Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Seven Sirens is turning out to be the Pirate's Curse successor I was hoping it would be.

The game looks particularly good on my Lite, with its crisp visuals and sharp menus and character portraits almost reminding me of the visual pop I got from some of the best Vita games.

The Witcher 3 looks really good on my Lite as well.

I can't believe we went from the 3DS to THIS.

Also, thanks for posting those links about XCOM 2 and handheld mode. So far, it looks like an amazing port. I was really only worried about the framerate and load times, but it seems like it's a reasonably good looking game on the system as well, which was more than I was hoping for. Definitely picking this up at some point.

And yeah, Panic Button looked good early on, but superior conversions of demanding AAA games have definitely knocked them down in my estimation. They got DOOM and Wolfenstein running, but not without some huge sacrifices to performance. I'm not seeing that at all in The Witcher 3 (the image quality suffers a bit, but it's literally still a good looking port of TW3 on a handheld that runs a relatively stable framerate, so who even cares?), and it looks like XCOM 2 is fairly stable and pleasing to use as well.

I'm a bit less concerned about The Outer Worlds as well.

I really want Capcom to farm out a Switch port Monster Hunter World at this point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

link3710

@Ralizah Monster Hunter World Ultimate - Switch exclusive.

...that would cause wars.

link3710

Ralizah

@link3710 That would be awesome. Wouldn't even need to be Switch-exclusive.

I just want something other than a warmed-over 3DS port. MH4U/Generations might not have sold as much as World, but they still did well.

I just hate how thoroughly Capcom is ignoring Nintendo this generation. Especially considering how good their games have gotten again (in terms of quality, their releases arguably match their PS2/GC-era output).

Edited on by Ralizah

DenDen

@Ralizah your a big fan of the shantea series?
I did play all of them And I think its one of the better games in its genre.
What does the game do for you that you like it so much?

Now playing
Switch : Animal Crossing new Horizon.
Streets of rage 4
Trials of mana
FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Don’t sleep on Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. The game is incredible.

I was playing MH back when MH3U released on 3DS without online functionality and Wii U, which looked SOO much better by comparison, had a full button set, etc. And I loved MH4U and MHGen, but being on 3DS started to put me off. It wasn’t enough to keep me from playing- The games were way too good to pass up, even on 3DS, but when MH Gen Ult was announced for Switch I went nuts. It was the game I’ve been waiting for for years. Finally, playing in HD on a handheld, and still looks better than MH3U on the TV.

And that game made a lot of strides forward that it doesn’t get credit for. It’s night and day from MH3U, which I tried to go back to about six months ago and just couldn’t understand how I ever managed 600 hrs in it after experiencing the perfect arcady feel of MH Gen Ult.

That all being said, I’m ready for a new Switch MH or a port of World. I would prefer a new one / portable variant with new content, but I’ll settle for World. I really really disliked the endgame in World, and I really disliked some of the changes they made to how skills activate, charms and decorations, hated tempered monsters that had no new moves and looked the same... it was such a great game in the gameplay and graphics department, but felt like a step back in the overall structure and mechanics. Still, at least the game has way more content now.

Frankly, I love all the MH games, and even though I have my issues with World, it’s still probably my fave in the series (at least, after Iceborn released- before that it was MH Gen Ultimate).

I hate how Capcom has been ignoring switch but I do think they’re going to release a new MH game designed for Switch before the end of this gen. Not only because of the sales- handheld entries did 4-5 mil each BEFORE the popularity of World, WITHOUT multiple platforms and WITHOUT a AAA budget or marketing push. World did insane numbers, but I don’t think they’re sustainable- it was just an influx of Destiny 2 players at the right place right time- the fact that Iceborn, the MH World Ultimate release, has only done 5 million, is telling. They caught lightning in a bottle and now they’re back down on planet earth, with the same success a the handheld Ultimate versions were seeing on a single platform.

But there’s also the fact we’ve had three reliable insiders say it’s coming, including King Zell and the one who leaked World in the first place just reiterated patience last week. So I’m pretty confident we’re going to see it at some point, but I don’t think it’s going to be a port of World. That could’ve been done already. The fact it’s taking so long indicates it’s probably ground up and will likely release toward the end of the generation, 2021 at the earliest.

PLAYING
NS: Xenoblade, Trails of Cold Steel 3, Borderlands 2, Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, XCOM 2

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@DenDen Funny writing. A unique premise. Charming characters. Dungeons to explore. Easy to speedrun when you know what you're doing. And, until recently, they've usually been the best looking games on their respective systems (GBC Shantae has strikingly detailed pixel art for a game on that system, especially). While it's nigh-impossible for a small indie dev to make games that stand toe-to-toe with big AAA developers on Switch, I still feel like Seven Sirens is among the most visually pleasing indie games on the system.

@JaxonH I actually own World on PS4 and MH3U on Wii U. The latter I've owned for... five years now, I think. Never touched it. I'm becoming very disenchanted with the home console thing in general, and that's particularly the case when it comes to MH.

I need for a new game to come along and capture that MH4 magic again.

Edited on by Ralizah

Magician

The Switch would be more likely to get MH5 rather than a port MHW.

Switch Physical Collection - 620 games (as of July 1st, 2020)
Currently playing: The Grisaia Trilogy (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

NintendoByNature

I might grab 7 sirens but I'd like to play some of the previous games first. I know you aren't high on HGH @Ralizah, so It's prob best to play pirates curse first? I also have a Wii u and 2ds in case I should try something else out first. I'm also waiting on some discounts for previous games, which now would be a great time for them to drop some with the release of 7 sirens.

NintendoByNature

link3710

Summer in Mara is officially coming on June 16th (or earlier for certain backers). Add that to my list it seems.

link3710

Ralizah

@NintendoByNature Depends.

The first three games in the series (Shantae on GBC, Shantae: Risky's Revenge on DSi, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on 3DS) are a trilogy, and each game build off the last one's story. They're not narrative-driven enough that you wouldn't understand something like Pirate's Curse if you started with it, but it is something to keep in mind. All of those games should be playable on 3DS, BTW, since the GBC game received a VC port.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero was a reboot of the series that ignored the continuity of the previous games, and Shantae and the Seven Sirens basically follows the same approach.

So, interestingly, I think Seven Sirens is probably a great place to start the series, because it doesn't really build off any of the other games and can be appreciated as its own thing.

Don't get me wrong: Pirate's Curse is fantastic, and if you want to start with it, that's fine. ESPECIALLY if you don't care about playing the first two games. It also has a Switch port with an exclusive minigame or something, and it goes on sale every once in a while.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

My Xenoblade update is last in line after all the 2k downloads. So I can’t play Xenoblade yet. At least, not on my v2 Switch. Got XCOM 2 and Bioshock downloaded, but still waiting on Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Catherine Full Body, Bug Fables and Resident Evil 4 (since I made space I decided to redownload it). Waiting on Borderlands because the physical version may have a download code for Handsome Collection, which means I don’t need to buy all 3 digitally, just the first. Everything’s ready on my Lite though.

edit
Wow. All the 2k games sold out on Amazon now. People made a mad rush for the buy button after seeing how good these ports are.

@Ralizah
MH3U was the game to play back in 2013. But at this point I wouldn’t bother trying to go back to it when Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate exists. And it’s not just that MHGenUlt has more refined gameplay that feels faster and smoother, it’s not just that it has 2 extra weapon types plus playing as a felyne in prowler mode, or way more monsters and locales, or the fact it’s hybrid and can be played on the go in HD, or the 100+ quality of life improvements over 3rd gen that would take too long to list out, and you probably wouldn’t appreciate them anyways unless you had actually experienced MH3U to compare with, it’s also the fact MHGenUlt has so many free DLC packs with items that it completely negates the early game gathering grind. Which was a real downside to the game. There were a ton of gathering quests.

And while it is true the game does not make clear which quests are “key” to unlock the urgent and progress to the next rank, which can become frustrating when you’re stuck in one star with 25 gathering quests and don’t know which half dozen to do, there is a free app for Android you can install on your phone called MHGU DB (Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate Database) and it’s SOOOOOO good. It tells you everything you need to know. What quests are key to progress, what items are needed to make an armor set or weapon (how many of each type, total, for the whole set), maps of every area and where mats spawn... it’s an absolute must to go hand in hand with the game and addresses one of the key issues people have- which quests they should do.

I tried playing MH World on GPD Win 2, at 540p with frame drops... and I quickly realized MHGenUlt is just a better handheld experience all around. Crispy 720p looks so good. Highly recommend. And if you ever do try to get into the game just let me know and I will be happy to hunt with you to farm mats and show you the ropes.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah that's great info thank you. I Will either grab pirates curse or 7 sirens in the very near future.

NintendoByNature

AndyD

And once again GameStop messes up a release day shipping...no borderlands for me yet. . Got xcom and xenoblade as expected thankfully. although, I was looking online and noticed that borderlands 2 even with the dlc is only max 15gb...so what is the 54gb for

Edited on by AndyD

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

DenDen

@Ralizah whats funny about my writing 😋
But thanks! Im getting the last one soon.

Now playing
Switch : Animal Crossing new Horizon.
Streets of rage 4
Trials of mana
FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Grumblevolcano

@AndyD Combination of all 3 games (Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Borderlands Pre-Sequel).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic