Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 48,501 to 48,520 of 69,963

TuVictus

At this point all I really want is a re-release of Thousand Year Door(well, any Paper Mario pre-sticker star deserves a re release). Since that seems to be the likely peak of the franchise, I won't mind the new ideas they try out each game. The combat in this one in particular looks like it's pretty fun

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Octane

Color Splash was playable. It wasn't particularly fun, because it was an easy game, and the boss fights required special cards to beat, so it wasn't even a challenge.

But they introduced an overworld enemy that was able to undo all the progress you made in a level. That's when I stopped playing, because I had spent hours completing all those levels.

Octane

JaxonH

@link3710
No offense but that sounds like a bit of "if it's not exactly like THIS it's a trash bin dumpster fire" bias.

Even Sticker Star wasnt a dumpster fire. Even Sticker Star was decent. This is night and day. This game looks absolutely immaculate. Everything about it looks incredible.

If anyone can look at that trailer and think "dumpster fire" I struggle to take that seriously. I get rigidly wanting the game to be identical to something else but holy crap, that's just extremism. The game looks so insanely good, masterpiece level amazing. Will it actually BE masterpiece level amazing? Idk. But I I'd bet my life it's not a dumpster fire. At worst itll be an 8/10 game.

There's just no way Paper Mario, based on what we just saw, is a dumpster fire. But if that's your thoughts I'd just give up following the series because you'll never be happy.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

JaxonH wrote:

This game looks absolutely immaculate. Everything about it looks incredible. The game looks so insanely good, masterpiece level amazing.

You're talking about Paper Mario, right?

Octane

Ralizah

@TuVictus There are a lot of Gamecube era games I wish they'd bring to Switch.

TTYD, in particular, seems to be pretty difficult to obtain and play legally. And like I told Jaxon, all they'd really need to do is bump up the resolution and replace a few of the low-res textures to make it look like a modern Switch release. It's still gorgeous.

Something I've noticed about a lot of games on that console, like REmake, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, etc. The Cube was such a massive step up from the N64 and its nightmarishly blocky games.

@Octane In my perfect universe, I'd find a boy who loves me as much as Jaxon clearly loves Paper Mario.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah @Octane
I love alot of games, including Paper Mario.

But this one looks downright incredible.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tasuki

Should be getting my SD card here any time now as it's out for delivery. Once I get that I can take advantage of the eShop sale 😈

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

DenDen

The new paper Mario Looks amazing.
Yes its diffrent but thats not A bad thing.
Dont see it as a RPG, take it for what it is.
And its amazing.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Grumblevolcano

I think it's weird that Nintendo are still hiding whether the jump and hammer attacks are disposable like Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

@Ralizah
Ah, I see. I don't have any experience with the games so I was hoping for a fun experience. I'm not really one for a hardcore RPG experience or anything, though, so maybe it's for people like me.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Jump and hammer are permanent. The core attacks have no limit.

Better attacks can be obtained that break after a while, similar to usable items from Thousand Year Door but which work more than once. These offer better stats or special combat abilities.

Also, badges are back. Just not called badges but that's what they are

Untitled

link3710

@rallydefault @JaxonH
First of all, it's not just "it being like before". Super Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door are both among my favorites, and neither play anything like each other.

Alright, here's a list of what worries me about the game:
Battle system looks like it gives you far too much time for making decisions, and the lack of FP or a similar substitute suggests that either special attacks have no limit or are single use, either way reducing a good deal of complexity. - That said, your newer post has confirmed I was wrong at least partially wrong in that assumption. Also the presence of equipment of any sort was unexpected but a huge boon in this department.

Secondly the bosses look awful. Like, the worst bosses I've ever seen. A tin of colored pencils, a tape dispenser? Like, it's just real world office objects. Not even like, a beast that vaguely resembles a tape dispenser or something. I do like the design on the cord boss at least, but the rest are really blagh.

Thirdly, the designs have improved overall, with the world looking far better than Sticker Star (Though I'll give Color Splash props at having a beautiful world as well, but this one is better), but we're still stuck with them refusing to play with the weird and wacky designs that made me fall in love with the series in the first place. So characters overall are rather meh, albeit better than previous two entries.

Fourthly, the confetti thing means we're likely going to be dealing with the same issue that colorless spots had, namely them being undone.

Fifthly, there's a ton of focus on minigames, to the point where it seems like they have those to distract from where the main game is lacking.

Sixthly, I'm still not sold on the plot and dialogue being decent. Admittedly, I almost was, and then those horrid bosses made me realize they're planning on making the game a big joke and not try and tell anything remotely meaningful.

I will say that second video that got posted looks significantly better than the first at least.

EDIT: Also, as someone who's played nearly every title Nintendo has published since the NES, I'm aware Sticker Star isn't the worst thing they've made. But I'd rather have to play Urban Champion than play that game again, if only because it'd be over quicker. It's one of only a small handful of Nintendo published games I've never finished, and the only one that wasn't because of length. I'd rank it as the second worst non-mobile title of the decade they've put out of those I've played (Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is below it of course), behind only Steel Diver.

Admittedly Dumpster Fire might be an exaggeration, but by Nintendo's standards it's looking like it has the potential to end up among the worst games published on Switch. Or among the best, there's still a lot to be confirmed, but the trailer from earlier in the day looked absolutely awful. The worst trailer I've seen them put out in a long time.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 I actually would like Nintendo to add Urban Champion to NSO, honestly until GBA or N64 gets added NSO comment sections are more entertaining than NSO itself. Also sometimes I get interested in bad games, it's how I decided to check out Sonic 06 and Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Sonic 06 was the fun kind of bad, I played through the entire game and got all the achievements on Xbox 360. Sticker Star however was the awful kind of bad, gave up at world 2.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@link3710
At least that post was more nuanced and reasonable.

But it still seems overly critical due to the bias of expecting it to be bad, so anything that would normally be viewed as a positive, unless EXTREMELY undeniably awesome, gets marked as a negative instead.

Equipment that's not one use and not good forever kinda addresses your first point, as you added. So moving on.

Bosses... They look amazing. Just amazing. I dont see it as a "joke" so much as a game that's lighthearted and doesnt take itself too seriously. Which... lest we forget, the series never has. The entirely separate puzzle pathway mechanic looks brilliant and unique at the same time. And the fact Olivia then turned into the turtle you defeated earlier to perform unique actions was a jaw dropper. We also fight a turtle, a blazing fire bird, a giant squid in the sea... so it's not just office objects. That said, I'm not opposed to the Stationery armada or whatever it's called. Looks fun enough.

The character designs, yes you have a fair point. But I dont think that warrants "dumpster fire". I dont even think that stops it from being a great game. And for the record, I've seen explorer Toad, I've seen a yellow toad with big coca cola glasses at a shop and I've seen a goomba decked out in that gameplay video that reminded me of Thousand Year Door. It's not every character, but they're there. Add in the partners which, even if they're classic designs, classic designs still look amazing, they're more than just Toads, and they all have personality. That's a huge win overall and I am not only not dissatisfied, I'm incredibly happy with what I've seen overall. Not the perfect ideal situation but definitely good enough.

As for confetti, you're not wrong, but I dont see how that's a bad thing. I loved the color mechanic of Color Splash, and, unlike Color Splash it's not taking center stage. Seems like a fun additional mechanic to me.

As for minigames, they look great! They're not to distract from a lacking game but to take a great game and just make it ballz to the wall crazy with diverse fun. That was one of the most impressive new reveals from that trailer. The best games have additional fun activities to do, and the minigames are certainly a welcome addition.

Plot... Idk if itll be decent or not, but I do know the plot sucked in every other Paper Mario game so, what does it matter? It was never meaningful. So Idk why this standard suddenly applies now. In fact Super Paper Mario's plot was downright boring, yet we all love that game. It's the narrative and dialog that shines in these games, not the plot. That being said, I see nothing wrong with the plot. Just because they have a Stationery armada of bosses doesnt change anything we've seen. Bad oragami dude takes over. You save the kingdom. Its basic but so was every other game. Peach is kidnapped by aliens. You save her. Theres your plot. I see no difference.

Weve seen partners return, even joining in battle sometimes, with tons of personality. We've got the same items we could use in Thousand Year Door- POW blocks and the like. We have permanent attacks with special, better attacks that arent one time use or permanent, badges return, we've seen boss abilities gained after beating them, there's a unique boss that's not Bowser for the first time since the Wii, with a varied lineup of non-traditional enemies such as Origami crabs, giant paper mache enemies, and even just the Origami Mario enemies which provide a nice change of pace, we've got the return of the TTYD audience, special abilities standing on special areas like TTYD, a beautiful gorgeous sprawling world chock full of exploration and hidden Toads, mini games, etc, several unique characters (not all but more than I've seen in the last two games combined), a unique battle system that blends puzzle elements, they abolished the sticker/card based attacks everyone hated... I mean, it may not be following a specific blueprint- it's definitely going in it's own direction, but a good one, with tons of callbacks and returning aspects from older games people loved.

The series hasn't had a knockout entry like this in over a decade. Theres a reason Sticker Star and Color Splash never had me this excited yet this one does.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

This looks legit. Add another solid strategy title next to XCOM 2, Mario Rabbids, Civilization VI, Fire Emblem, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, Into the Breach and even Wargroove.

I present to you... Warhammer 40,000 Mechanicus

link3710

@JaxonH When I say the plot, I don't mean the big massive plot. That one is, as you said, utterly predictable. But what makes Paper Mario special is the smaller stories it tells along the way, at least for the first three. I can hardly retell the overall story of PM, TTYD or SPM, but I can certainly recall being killed and sent to hell and having to climb back to heaven, or the dread feeling of being asked by literal ghosts to save them from an invincible monster, or making my way through a fighting tourney as my new friends start disappearing around me.

Admittedly, this game could have that. But after being burned as hard as I was, I am completely gun shy on trusting anything Nintendo has to say without proof. I don't care about the RPG aspect, but I want the game to invest me in what I'm doing again, beyond just saving the princess.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Fair enough.

I just want to enjoy this game without any preconceived expectations of criteria it has to conform to. If I’d never heard of Paper Mario, and suddenly today discovered this brand new, debut IP called Paper Mario Origami King, what would I think? Anything outside of that is viewing it through a clouded lens.

I don’t know if this particular game will provide that specific aspect or not- it may, it may not. But I have no doubt this game will have its own memorable moments. At the end of the day, it’s about having an open mind to enjoy a game for what it is, rather than what you hope it will be. That doesn’t automatically mean it will be a great game, but it does mean it gets a fair shake on its own merits.

There’s just been so much nonstop criticism towards this series for the last 10 years (and, deservedly so, I should add) that I’m just ready to enjoy a good paper Mario again. And that doesn’t mean wearing blinders towards the games faults, but it does mean moving past this phase of expectations of how it must fulfill certain criteria to be good. What I mean is, Game could be complete opposite of anything we’ve ever played before and does absolutely nothing the same yet could still be just as good if not better. Just different is all. There are so many different types of games out there that are great games that do absolutely nothing like the old paper Mario games. Yet they are entertaining nonetheless. How much more then should this game be given a fair chance that does retain a lot of the good stuff of older games.

I guess what I’m saying is, there is no criteria this game has to meet to be good. It just... has to be good. One way or another. And judging independently by what I’ve seen it looks like a really great game, similar to how Mario Odyssey made me feel when I first saw that game.

AndyD

JaxonH wrote:

This looks legit. Add another solid strategy title next to XCOM 2, Mario Rabbids, Civilization VI, Fire Emblem, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, Into the Breach and even Wargroove.

I present to you... Warhammer 40,000 Mechanicus

Didn’t realize it was out now. Guess I’ll add this! Gotta get bioshock still too.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Grumblevolcano

@AndyD It isn't out now, it got delayed to July 17th (same day as Paper Mario).

Grumblevolcano

NEStalgia

What does anyone think the odds of p5r on switch are? Thinking of jumping on the Sony sale for it since i was all set to jump at full price at launch.... But if it really came to switch id rather it there. My thoughts were mostly "when pigs fly" but atlas is so cagey, and then theres p4g pc which both says "screw switch" and "were moving to more platforms" at the same time.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic