Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 48,361 to 48,380 of 69,964

AndyD

Need some advice - we are getting two more switch lites for our two older boys. This will bring us to 4 switches, so I am assuming making their own seperate accounts and subscription is the best way to handle different games? I know after 2 switches the sub accounts don't work right? I have physical copies of most of the games they play. There is only 2 or 3 that need downloading.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

rallydefault

@gcunit
Wow, you think I'm an idiot lol

But you do realize that, if I want, I can install Epic Game Store, download Borderlands for free, and... wait for it... never buy a single thing on Epic Game Store. Ever.

Right?

Edit: Your comment reminds me of that one older James Bond movie when Q is showing him a phone. And Q's like, "You listen in this end and talk in this end," and Bond is like, "So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong all these years." lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

gcunit

@rallydefault The point being that's it's not really a fair comparison, that's all. You can't just write off console games because all games are free on PC. A select few are free, but come at the price of a longer term cost that Octane most aptly elaborated on. If you knew all this then I don't quite follow why you made the comparison in your earlier post.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NintendoByNature

Don't know how but I received a switch pro controller charging dock by amazonbasics. I know I didn't order it, my wife doesn't believe she did. Is it safe to use? I've heard of 3rd party devices bricking systems, but not controllers. Just want to double check in case anyone has used it.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

Man, Outer Worlds turned out to be a disappointment. I find it misleading they claimed a targeted 1080p/720p. If it doesnt hold it most of the time, just say what it is. 720p/540p so expectations are put in check.

That said, Virtuos clearly has the talent, but this game needed new assets designed for Switch. Ah well. You win some you lose some.

At least PC still has gyro aiming. And I've got a full plate with the excellent Borderlands 2 and Xenoblade anyways. With 2 other Borderlands, 3 Bioshocks and XCOM 2 in the bullpen.

edit
And this is why I keep having to learn my lesson about using Digital Foundry as the sole source for decision making. Still not up to scratch with XCOM 2, but perhaps not as catastrophic as they led on.

ACG does a very fair review. Does ultimately give it a "Wait For Sale", but not without first discussing what he loves about it.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I'm still sticking to Steam because...well, Steam lol It doesn't make sense for me to turn down free games, but I just like/know Steam

For me its Steam's excellent controller config integration, with gyro mappable within seconds in any game, changing buttons around within seconds in any game (and having those changes reflected in game), and not having to buy on another store, which requires another launcher, manually added into Steam which doesnt have access to the same community configs as the version sold in Steam without doing some cumbersome workarounds, also having to deal with the Epic Launcher popping up every time you open from within Steam...

And Microsoft Store games dont even have an .exe file so you cant add them to Steam without some 3rd party app, it's just not worth it to me. Steam only, and I have no problem waiting for Epic exclusivity to end and just buying on Steam down the line. I dont mess with the free games, but I completely understand those who jump on them

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@JaxonH
My experiences with Microsoft Store have been absolutely awful. I remember trying to download the Sea of Thieves demo a couple years ago just before it came out. The DEMO. It was so hard to find, wouldn't launch, blahblah. Just awful. And then I had (still have) a free pass for the Game Pass on PC. Was playing some fps game, can't even remember the name of it, and then one day it just tells me I no longer have permission to play the game. I Googled the problem and it seems like a perennial issue that Game Pass has.

I'll stick with Steam lol

@gcunit
I made the comparison because games are games, bro. And the whole point of my post is that console and PC are merging like never before. There's barely any distinction left on Xbox. In my view it's totally fair to ponder why people keep shelling out money for games on consoles when they're free on PC.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault System updates are actually why the Microsoft Store has gotten worse over time. From the 5 years I've had my XB1, it was most reliable in the 5 months I had it before the NXOE update in November 2015 and it's gotten mostly worse over time (as XB1 and PC are very similar, I'd guess Windows Updates are the cause of Microsoft Store PC problems too). This is why I prefer the Switch OS, I'd rather have a very basic OS that works than a more complex OS with lots of features but crashes a lot of the time.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

Yeah, for all the complaining I see people doing, the Switch OS is far better in use for me than the PS4's. VC? Why would I use that, I always use Discord. The store? Switch's might be crowded, but PS4's doesn't even let me purchase things half the time, and sometimes won't even open. The layout? PS4's folders are a godsend, I'll give it that, but just about everything else is better on Switch. Settings? Lightning fast and easy to navigate on Switch, kinda slow and complicated on PS4.

But y'know, no themes, so it's an awful OS /s

link3710

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
I LOVE Switch's OS. It's my favorite console OS ever. I mean, I'm also someone who just wishes consoles didn't even have OS's in the first place, but that's not happening in the digital world.

Only thing is that lag in the eShop. It's killer to scroll through the deals page. I wish they'd allot a bit more memory or whatever to the eShop now that it's so big, but in the end all three consoles are pretty laggy with that stuff. You're never gonna beat the silky smooth browsing of shopping on Steam.

rallydefault

JaxonH

There’s not even room for themes anyways. The icons take up almost the entire screen. Then with your profile icon, parental controls, time, battery, wifi, controller status, context options and the 6 menu icons, there just isn’t room to display much of anything. Plus images behind the lettering and icons would make them hard to read. So themes are kind of pointless on this system, to me.

I do think they should release way more profile icons. And a messaging app for friends that ties into the system level invites they patched in. But aside from that, it’s perfect. I suppose folders would be nice too but honestly that doesn’t bother me much now that we can sort.

I really do appreciate the instant response of the switch OS, and how clean it looks. I’ll take that over the Xbox or PS UI any day (that said, I appreciate all the options in the PS4 settings, and wish we had more options like that on Switch). But the UI on PS4 has become sluggish. Taking pictures is sluggish. They’re even more sluggish on the Xbox one. This is why I never bother with screenshots on those systems, because the delay between when you push the button and when the screenshot notification pops on screen sucks. On Switch, and on Steam, it’s instant.

But the lag on the eshop is definitely a problem, and one of my pet peeves. I also wish they would allow you to sort your games by “Installed”. That way all the games I have archived wouldn’t show, but I could choose to show them if I wanted. It would also make switching SD cards a much smoother experience because you would very clearly see what games are installed on the card do you have in at that time.

Edited on by JaxonH

Cotillion

I like it the way it is. The only thing I would add is folders, which isn't a big deal now that we can sort, but I'd like to lump all games of lengthy series into one folder. 'Mega Man' folder, 'Final Fantasy' folder, etc...

Cotillion

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
That may be true but the delay means I can’t rapidfire screenshots, as I constantly have to wait five seconds for the notification before I can take another one (there’s also the fact that on Xbox the button pulls up a menu from which you select to take a screenshot, which means instant reaction screenshot are nearly impossible and you miss the moment). It’s just aggravating. No reason to have any delay at all. It’s reminiscent of Wii U and 3DS OS shenanigans.

Edited on by JaxonH

MsJubilee

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Pretty sure the clip/ screenshot is recorded (well, that piece of the recording is saved, given how Game DVR works)/ taken the exact moment you hit the button. The (slight) delay doesn't seem to impact when they are taken.

Or at least, that's been my experience on XB1.

Taking XB1 screenshots was quick and easy(well when I had an Xbox). But oh boy, PS4 is a whole different story. This wasn't an issue back then, taking screenshots on the PS4 was quick and smooth. I remember when I was finishing up The Evil Within 2, I was taking screenshots left and right . Now? The delay is unbearable, all those system updates ruined it.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

JaxonH

I just played Outer Worlds. My thoughts are basically, it plays great. Motion feels good. No issues there.

But the graphics are... not good. It reminds me of Wolfenstein 2 when it first released, before the patch that helped it look better. Except in this game you’re outside and they have some of the absolute worst looking grass which, combined with general blurriness (docked isn’t blurry, just ugly, but handheld is like Wolfenstein 2 when it launched, but looks worse because of the ultra low res vegetation)

That all being said, I’d be lying if I told you I wasn’t having fun playing in handheld mode. But I don’t think I can recommend this one to anyone other than someone who knows what they’re getting and is ok with it for the handheld/gyro. It’s definitely not the caliber of the XCOM 2 port, but it’s an open world game so maybe it just wasn’t possible to reach similar quality (it looks as blurry as Wolfenstein 2 did at launch in handheld and vegetation looks worse than Witcher 3 in handheld, which is saying something lol). I think it’s better to just play this one on Steam when it releases for the gyro. Then again, if you can grab this one for 20 bucks down the line I think it might be worth it.

edit
Ya know, I was gonna archive The Outer Worlds after trying it out, but the farther I get into it the more I’m getting sucked in. This is a really good game! It’s a shame it’s not the best experience on switch but, it looks better on the Switch Lite as I just discovered, and if I tolerated Wolfenstein at lauch I think I can tolerate this. It actually looks really good whenever you’re indoors, too. Outside is blurry but on the switch lite you don’t really notice as much. At the very least this should tide me over until the Steam release.

So despite falling short I’m actually kind of glad it came over still. It does play very well, feels very smooth. At least, so far.

@DarthNocturnal
If it were two buttons like Steam, hold the guide button and press [insert mappable button here], there wouldn’t be any issue, but it’s the delay of the system bringing the menu up, combined with then also pressing another button, it’s long enough to miss the moment. It just needs to be instant, a button you press and it’s done. Basically like switch or Steam. Then there’s the fact that editing is a lot less streamlined for videos and buried in menus that take time to load for whatever reason... ya. It’s just not a pleasant experience. I gave up trying to take screenshots on other consoles, not that it matters now anyways since I don’t play my other consoles anymore.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

It’s two buttons with a wait for the menu to pop up. And even if it’s a quarter second that’s a quarter second of waiting. When I take screenshots they have to be instant within 5 ms or the moment is missed because I want perfect shots.

So it’s not just two buttons like Steam is just two buttons. It’s two buttons with a wait for the menu to pop up, The wait for the notification is even worse. I can’t press a button and have it instantly register and be able to rapidfire then it’s worthless as far as I’m concerned. Unless you’re planning a still shot or something. But catching a perfect shot and a cut scene? Forget about it. Needing to take three or four within fractions of a second to make sure you get the right angle? Forget about it.

Editing on switch is super easy, just hit the album icon, select video, choose between the start and finish frames. Super fast. Last time I tried editing my monster hunter videos on PS4 I spent like five minutes trying to trim that stupid video down. It’s more in depth and intensive. Which is great if that’s what you want but if you just want to spend a few seconds picking the right start and end point, it’s a nightmare.

JoyBoy

Looks at Outer Worlds

So... Panic Button are not too bad, huh?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

JaxonH

No, I maintain Panic Button is just as bad. Outer Worlds doesnt change XCOM 2, Borderlands and Bioshock. And honestly its pretty comparable with Wolfenstein 2. Difference being TOW is open world, while DOOM and Wolf are linear. They're also in a much better engine, with framerates halved and still couldn't do much better than TOW.

Outer Worlds is basically like Wolfenstein 2. We just have higher expectations now.

Qwertyninty

Where is the borderlands collection review for this site? I need that review.

Qwertyninty

IceClimbers

Keep in mind that Bioshock and Borderlands are 7th gen games while Wolfenstein and Doom are far more demanding current gen games.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic