Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,881 to 47,900 of 69,964

link3710

@JaxonH That'd be me, I wanna play through it again and talk about it so bad but I got the physical version... could be awhile before I can.

link3710

DuskformLycanroc

anyone just seen the trailer for the new paper mario game?

3DS FC 5387-0811-6168

JaxonH

Heck ya! Paper Mario looks pretty great!

And it's coming July 17th!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

It looks cool but I wonder why it wasn't in the March Direct, this would've been a neat "one more thing" after the Sword/Shield expansion pass news.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

I am... honestly shook. I thought we wouldn't get a new game until August at the earliest. They just announced a major franchise title only two months out? That's so weird.

As for the game itself?
Graphics: The game looks wonderful. Don't think I have much to say here other than materials have now been applied, and they look great. PM has always been a sharp looking series of course, but there's a lot to offer here.
Story: Definitely looks like a return to form, it's weird and wonderous and I appreciate it very much. It even looks like you'll be teaming up with Bowser and possibly rescuing the Koopalings? Also it appears you get traveling companions again on the overworld, which is a breath of fresh air since dialogue can only do so much when Mario can't speak.
Gameplay: The battle system is completely new... again. We'll see how that turns out, but at the least I didn't see any signs of stickers being required to attack. Partners aren't in battle. Also it looks like Peach as a playable character is likely not returning either (though I could be wrong)

I was so set on never buying another Paper Mario outside of a remake of the first three... man I'll just have to see if the battle system is actually fun again.

link3710

JaxonH

Also note the HP changes in all the shots:

50/50
70/70
110/110
150/150

So it seems leveling up your HP will be a thing. I guess it could be an item, since the HP all seems to be multiples of 20 from a base of 50.

That'll be disappointing if there's no progression from battling.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TuVictus

It did a good job of at least showing me the story will be interesting. The gameplay looks new, of course, so hopefully it's designed in a way to make combat fun/necessary. Gorgeous, too.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

JaxonH

Xenoblade is looking good in handheld mode

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano wrote:

It looks cool but I wonder why it wasn't in the March Direct, this would've been a neat "one more thing" after the Sword/Shield expansion pass news.

I just thought the same thing

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Perhaps they were finishing it off & didn't want to announce it in case of last minute hiccups .... ? It's a nice surprise, at worst, surely?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

I believe because it was originally intended to be an e3 announcement with a release later in the year.

But with C19 things are getting shuffled around and the game was moved forward to help with the release schedule.

Also, having watched again, and having checked out the Sticker Star and Color Splash videos, I'm feeling really good about this game. It may not be 100% like TTYD but it's also a huge improvement. Partners, traditional attacks without limit (proven via scouring screenshots and translating), good writing and story and great characters, even if many still look classic without special outfits. The personality is there.

And graphically... wow. This might be the best looking Switch game to date.

Also, it seems Pikmin 3 Deluxe is on the way according to VentureBeat. Could be announced in the next month or two.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I'm not sure how you can deduce partners from the info we have?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DenDen

Well im glad we get a new paper mario.
It looks very promissing and cant wait to see how it turns out

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
???

Not only is it in the description, it's shown in the video. Babomb travels with you, folded Bowser, a certain toad shown in an explorer outfit... it says you'll be meeting many companions, and eventually "saying goodbuy" which seems to indicate there will be many different characters joining you throughout the game

1UP_MARIO

I want Vivian

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

rallydefault

I'm really happy about the new Paper Mario game. I was pretty much preparing for 6 months of basically nothing on my Switch, but I'll be preordering this very soon.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH What I was trying to get across is there's nothing yet that suggests they're partners in the sense of the old games. The yellow origami character with Mario could be a Kersti/Huey type character and the others could be only with you for a short segment (like some characters were in Color Splash) and they're not in the battle system from what we can see so far.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

I knew there would be games, they're just not announcing them ahead of time in Directs.

We have the lovely Wonderful 101 kicking off the Switch Extravaganza, but the real party is in two weeks with Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Borderlands Presequel (all with gyro!), Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Then a week later we have Club House Games and The Outer Worlds, on June 5th. Then two weeks later Burnout Paradise, a week later Brigandine, and a week later Trails of Cold Steel III.

Then a week later we're in July and have Catherine Full Body and Deadly Premonition 2, then a week later we have Paper Mario The Oragami King.

So we're set through July. The following 5 months will see Bravely Default 2, and likely Mario 3D World, Mario 3D Collection, Pikmin 3 and one other unknown (Metroid Prime Trilogy, fingers crossed! Especially with that Metroid tease in the Paper Mario trailer).

And plenty of 3rd party games will fill in. Still have DOOM Eternal and Pillars of Eternity 2, for big big releases. But others will be announced. They always are.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
The battle system is a different conversation. We dont know if they'll help in battles. But it is clear you'll have partners come and go throughout the game.

Obviously it's not identical to older games but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The real complaint was not having characters with personality in your crew. This game will have that. And there's nothing wrong with Olivia being like Huey. Huey was great. One of the best parts of Color Splash.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic