Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,861 to 47,880 of 49,663

Heavyarms55

@Grumblevolcano Whatever happened to Nintendo Selects? Did the officially stop doing that? I always assumed that eventually that would return on Switch.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

FragRed

@Heavyarms55 I think they tend to release towards the end of a systems life, like how Sony does something similar with their consoles.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

link3710

@Heavyarms55 It usually comes out in the fourth or fifth year of a system's life, i.e. 2016 for Wii U and 3DS, 2011 for Wii. We probably won't see the first Nintendo Selects titles until sometime in 2022, 2021 at the earliest.

link3710

Heavyarms55

@link3710 @FragRed Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

NotTelevision

Nintendo being weird with prices is nothing new I suppose. They’ve always hated the second-hand and rental markets cutting into their profits and want us to embrace a digital future, but there is little incentive to buy any of their published games digitally. They only give you 3 bucks in gold points, and the occasional gulp week online trial. They have the evergreen titles on sale sometimes for 33% on the Eshop, but that’s still higher than many used prices for their games.

So at this point going digital doesn’t have any price advantage, because they don’t want to ever discount or feel like they are cheapening their crown jewels.

Added: Those vouchers were a great idea actually and would’ve picked them up, but they were gone in 60 seconds. At least on the US Eshop.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@NotTelevision That hate for the second hand market is nothing unique to Nintendo. That's business in general. The auto industry, music and TV industries, movie industry, etc etc... They all hate second hand says.

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 Ohh for sure. You’re right about all businesses hating that.

But I’m just saying the mixed message that Nintendo is putting out with their titles. Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild were released at the same time. HZD is regularly 19.99 but sometimes drops to as low as 9.99. BOTW is still 59.99 but occasionally drops to around 44 bucks digitally.

If I was just buying a PS4 I’d probably just download HZD digitally for that price. If I just bought a Switch I’d look around for a cheaper physical copy of the game, rather than go to the Eshop and pay 60 for a 3 year old game. Then I’d sell it for around 35-40 bucks used somewhere if I didn’t like it. Then the next guy or gal would do the same.

But maybe Nintendo doesn’t care much about it because they already made their money off the person who bought the game full price, as opposed to pocketing the 20s from all the people who would have gone digital instead.

It certainly hasn’t effected sale of that title in particular, since a lot more people bought BOTW anyway.

But stuff like Yoshi’s Crafted World, that Kirby game, Captain Toad, and Arms would sell a lot more digitally if it was 20 bucks by now. Every time Mario Rabbids goes on sale it sells a ton and everyone even slightly interested has a digital version of that game.

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@NotTelevision It's the classic thing though, if people are willing to pay 60 still, why should they lower it? I'll be honest, if it were me I'd do the same thing Nintendo's doing in this case. Things are worth what people are willing to pay. People aren't willing to pay 60 dollars for Horizon Zero Dawn anymore, but they still are for BotW. You can be sure that if people were still buying HZD at good numbers at 60 dollars, they'd still be selling it for that price. No companies lower the price of their product permanently just because they can.

And for those other games you mention, I assume Nintendo considers them to still be selling well enough to justify it.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

FragRed

@NotTelevision Isn’t Horizon Zero Dawn part of the PlayStation Selects range, or whatever they call it? A lot of Sony first and some third party titles are now in that range so are typically cheap. Plus, Nintendo knows people will pay full price for games several years old so there’s little to no reason to reduce it. Look at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Mario Odyssey as examples of continued big sellers.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

Dezzy

@link3710

Is there less story-mode content? I'd assumed it was a similar amount. Haven't got through the Splatoon 2 story mode yet.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 @FragRed Right. I know I’m comparing hard and soft water from my shower head to that found in the fairy fountain. I just see it all as water (software), so I feel the need to compare them and heck I’m purchasing some fairy juice on March 20, as I’m sure many people are.

I would like to see some bottles of that refined stuff next to the discounted 24 pack of Aquafina, but it’s working fine for them.

NotTelevision

Octane

@Dezzy Yeah, Splatoon (especially online) was pretty barebones with only four maps at launch. Of course, we did get the promise that they would release more over time, and they did. But maybe that's why it was €40. Additionally, an online game on the Wii U would've needed every little push it could get.

But yeah, the high prices mean that I've skipped quite a few games. I don't think Kirby is worth €60 for example. €45 would've been easier to swallow for Luigi's Mansion, etc. I like the fact that I can go back and enjoy the Tomb Raider trilogy for €20 a game these days. Otherwise I would've never considered them, and now they're part of my favourite games this gen.

@StuTwo I disagree. Would you stop buying Nintendo games day one if you knew they'd be half the price in two or three years? No, let's be honest. I'll still buy the new Mario day one. But I would buy additional games that I didn't buy when they came out.

Octane

Anti-Matter

Upcoming Switch games according to playasia.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 5 Music genre:
1. Super Eurobeat
2. Cyber Trance
3. Euro Trance
4. Hardcore Techno
5. Bubblegum / Eurodance

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Dezzy

@Octane

Yep, same here. I'd definitely buy Yoshi's Crafted World for half that price. Not worth it for the full price to me though. Even my favourite Yoshi game, Wooly World, is only just about worth that to me.

Same with Mario Maker 2. Since I have the original, it's just not worth another full price release for me (definitely would be if I didn't have the original though)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy I bought Yoshi, because one retailer had a sale and it was ''only'' €50. I still kinda regret it though, but that's maybe just because I expected more. It was a rather short game. Oh well.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

link3710

@Dezzy Splatoon 2 definitely had more story content, maybe 20-30% more? Plus Octo Expansion exists now, even if that's DLC which is longer than the previous two combined.

link3710

Late

Bought Doom last week and I've now played it for couple of hours. Enjoying it more than ever before. I've played it here and there in the last 20 years but it never quite grabbed me. I've technically beaten it once with my brother but it was more like he beat it for the millionth time while I tagged along. One thing I've always liked about Doom is the way it controls. It feels so good. Finished the first episode today. I don't remember anything about the rest of the game so it's pretty much blind from now on.

I programmed a simple tool that copies all Switch screenshots from an SD card and places them to folders according to the game:
Link

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

NintendoByNature

Finally after having the game since end of November/early December, I started my playthrough of darksiders 2 the other day and I'm already on the 2nd dungeon. After experiencing the first game last April(and loving it), I couldn't wait to play the 2nd one. Of course with how many games that dropped on switch since it launched in September i put this on the back burner until I grabbed it for 12 bucks In a sale. Kind of regretting putting other games before it since im loving it just as much as I did darksiders 1. With the lack of zelda coming in the near future (at least that we know of thus far) this is really scratching that zelda itch.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

StuTwo

@Octane I’d absolutely stop buying Nintendo games day one if I knew they’d definitely be a third of the price a few years later.

There are very few exceptions where I absolutely feel like I need a game on launch. But often I’ll buy them anyway if I know the price won’t change for many years (if ever) so I might as well jump early.

Aside from anything else it lets me know I’ll be able to sell a Nintendo game a few months down the line if I wish and possibly even make a profit!

(I rarely sell Nintendo games but I do apply a similar technique to BluRays - I never buy DVDs because they have no resale value even for new titles but second hand BluRays cost almost exactly the same as brand new ones).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

rallydefault

Nah, if it's a big game, I'll pay to have it day-one. I mean, there's always something to be said for fiscal prudence, but having to sit for 2 years and listen to people say how awesome a game is before I get to experience it just to save 20 bucks... that's a little extreme.

YOLO and all that. You can drive yourself insane by living life pinching every penny and only buying things that will "pay off" somehow (sale, resale value, whatever).

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic