Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,861 to 47,880 of 69,991

BruceCM

When's Series S, @Grumblevolcano .... ? Since MS have insisted it's just the one console, for the forsee-able, nobody can be exactly planning around that one

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@Magician
I've learned Pachter has little to no inside info, and just likes to speculate as a hedge manager. He's been so far out in left field so many times I struggle to give his opinion any more weight than the guess of a random fansite gamer.

That being said, it is possible, but I doubt it. They'd most likely be eating costs even at $500. $400 is just an money sink, and to some extent defeats the purpose of a lower cost entry point. Why buy a $300 Series S when you can go for gusto with just $400? But a $299/$499 split? That makes a lot more sense.

The only way I see $400 happening is if their hand is forced because Sony announces $400 and starts a price war. If Sony does $500 I'm pretty sure so will MS. Then again, MS may do $500 regardless if they have a $300 entry point.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

rallydefault wrote:

They'll knock 50 bucks off Switch or Switch Lite during the holiday season, and/or they'll offer a bundle. Guaranteed. Save this spot.

Way to hedge your bet. Nintendo has offered MK8D bundles with the stock Switch every Holiday season, so in that sense you're not wrong. Nintendo won't be dropping the msrp on either the stock Switch or the Switch Lite. Because Nintendo, time after time, has insisted that they are not in competition with either MS or Sony.

Price drops are for slow-selling platforms (3DS from $249 to $169 four months after launch) or platforms on their way off retail shelves (Xbox One X, with bundles now down to $240).

rallydefault wrote:

We can all armchair quarterback stock issues and such, and trust me, nobody takes this pandemic more seriously than I do. But the reality is that it's the beginning of May, and we have no idea what manufacturing and stock may look like come October through December.

Except that Sony has publicly mentioned that they expect only five to six million PS5s will be available at retail between launch (November?) and March 2021. Conversely, the PS4 sold 7.5m units during the same timeframe during its launch.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-16/sony-is-sa...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

@BruceCM I think Microsoft will announce Series S in June.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

What, this June, @Grumblevolcano .... ? After they've gone to some effort to insist it's just the Series X, for now? Maybe next year they'd announce it, to release about a year after Series X? That seems a lot more likely, at least to me

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

JaxonH wrote:

@Magician
I've learned Pachter has little to no inside info, and just likes to speculate as a hedge manager. He's been so far out in left field so many times I struggle to give his opinion any more weight than the guess of a random fansite gamer.

That being said, it is possible, but I doubt it. They'd most likely be eating costs even at $500. $400 is just an money sink, and to some extent defeats the purpose of a lower cost entry point. Why buy a $300 Series S when you can go for gusto with just $400? But a $299/$499 split? That makes a lot more sense.

The only way I see $400 happening is if their hand is forced because Sony announces $400 and starts a price war. If Sony does $500 I'm pretty sure so will MS. Then again, MS may do $500 regardless if they have a $300 entry point.

Agreed. My oh my these are exciting times. It's the Saturn and PS1 all over again. Who's going to pull the trigger first, MS or Sony? Back then Sega announced that the Saturn would be $399 and is available at select retailers immediately. Then Sony took the stage and won the generation with one word.

Edited on by Magician

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

rallydefault

@Magician
Tell your "price drops for slow-selling consoles" to PS4 dropping msrp its third holiday season. Weird, yea?

They don't know how many consoles they're gonna have available at launch, man. Come on. You know how press interaction works with big companies. They probably have a dozen different forecast models, and that's what they're telling the media right now. And hey, come September if things are looking up (on a health note I sincerely hope so), then Sony can make headlines by coming out and saying "Surprise! We're gonna have all the PS5 stock for the holiday that you could possibly want." And we'll all buy it hook line and sinker and clap our little hands together like Tiny Tim just threw down his cane and did a jig.

Nobody - literally nobody - knows exactly what is going to happen 4, 5, 6 months from now.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Magician

rallydefault wrote:

@Magician
Tell your "price drops for slow-selling consoles" to PS4 dropping msrp its third holiday season. Weird, yea?

Well, the base PS4 was beginning to be phased out in favor of the PS4 Slim, so it wasn't weird at all.

No doubt the profit margin was bigger with a Slim model sale than that of a base PS4 or PS4 Pro.

link3710

@Magician @rallydefault If the Switch wasn't going through stock shortages right now I'd expect them to have planned an upgraded model to release this year or next, and that's when they'll cut the price on the base model. Exactly how Sony did it.

link3710

rallydefault

@Magician
Moving the goal posts. Switch has an alternate version as well with certain elements that are better than the original.

@link3710
For sure.

rallydefault

Octane

@JaxonH Yeah Days Gone has gyro. I think it came in an early patch and wasn't there day one exactly, but still, it now has gyro.

@Ralizah But then why start pushing additional gimmicks like haptic triggers and the like? The touchpad is still on it as well. Sounds like a load of pointless features if you're not going to make your developers use it. Maybe this ''PS Studios'' ensures that their devs will make use of the features this time around

I'm hopeful for Ghost of Tsushima; gyro bow and arrow would be neat. After all, Infamous had a bunch of gimmicky gyro controlled sections as well.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

60fps really is a game changer when it comes to shmups, Panzer Dragoon Remake feels a lot better with the new patch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

I think we finally get a NSO update announcement next week. Nintendo teased the Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC a week in advance:

Now here's a tweet about NES/SNES games:

So perhaps next week we'll get more NES/SNES games announced.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano One of the more sane wild speculative theories I've heard about Nintendo's plans. Seems likely enough.

link3710

Pink_Floyd

I had a question regarding the retail release of Habro Game Night for Nintendo Switch. Does anyone know if it requires any download for the full game and or patches?

Thanks!

Pink_Floyd

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I saw that tweet about NES and SNES games and just assumed with so little going on, they were just tweeting to try and hammer up interest but I don’t really know if I will get my hopes up for new games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

I suppose come Tuesday, when The Wonderful 101 releases, there'll be more people talking about it. Then again, most people interested seem to have bought physical via Kisckstarter and wont be playing until the end of June.

I hope it does well. It's such a great game but very different, and it takes a few chapters before it starts to click.

Been playing every day at work, now that I got recalled with a skeleton crew. Lots of spare time.

I love how this version gives you access to Unite Guts (block and reflect) and Unite Spring (dodge) right away for like 10p each (normal price like 300,000p). They're such an integral part of the gameplay, and I think not having ability to afford right away plus no indication of their importance over other skills is part if what turned people off in the original. So it's a small change but a very impactful one.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

HobbitGamer

@JaxonH You got called back in! Glad to hear, bud.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

gcunit

@Pink_Floyd Don't quote me on it, but I have the game and don't recall it having any downloads required to play.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@HobbitGamer
😀

Thanks. It was a nice month long vacation. Little taste of what retirement will feel like! Only 35 years! More... to go... bleh

(Honestly though, keeping 85% of $970/wk in unemployment was a slightly better deal than netting 54% of gross at 40 hrs/wk. I make more but keep a much smaller percentage. Working without OT is a bigger hit than unemployment!)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic