Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,681 to 47,700 of 53,736

link3710

@Octane Eh really? Pretty much all Sony players I know IRL don't pick up Assassin's Creed / Far Cry and the like til it's been at least 6 months and the price has been slashed.

link3710

Ralizah

@Octane The reason I sleep on the majority of Sony's first-party games at launch is precisely because I know within a year I'll be able to pick up the game for 70% or more off MSRP. Buying at launch is just burning money unless you're ridiculously excited for the game in question.

Nintendo doesn't punish early adopters with steep price cuts after launch, and their physical games maintain their value, so I'm far more inclined to purchase at launch.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Switch Lite: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

link3710

@DannyBoi No. This is just a patch. They only update the number when there's actually features included. Of course, if we're getting a patch now, that probably means v10 won't be until September at the earliest so...

link3710

DannyBoi

@link3710 Isn't there a major update every few months????

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

link3710

@DannyBoi Early on in a system's life yeah. Looks like Nintendo is reaching feature complete for the OS by their standards. Eventually the team has to get started on the successor's OS after all and stop adding features to the current one.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

2.0.0 - March 3rd 2017
3.0.0 - June 19th 2017
4.0.0 - October 18th 2017
5.0.0 - March 12th 2018
6.0.0 - September 18th 2018
7.0.0 - January 28th 2019
8.0.0 - April 15th 2019
9.0.0 - September 9th 2019

So the longest gap between 2 major updates is March 12th 2018 to September 18th 2018 (190 days). This gap will have a new record if there's no major update in the next 2 weeks. Not surprising if there's a new record as we're also seeing the longest Direct drought ever.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Don't forget that historically, the average gap between major updates (non-patches) consistently widens as a system grows older. For the 3DS, we only got one feature update (9.6, the one where they added swappable home menu layouts and Amiibo for the New 3DS) in it's 4th year before they stopped completely.

link3710

Octane

@link3710 I wouldn't buy a Ubisoft game at full price either But the fact that those games sell most copies during the launch window is proof that it still works. People still buy games day one, despite the drop in price months or years later. If everyone waited, the game wouldn't sell at all, and the industry would stray away from price drops. But that clearly isn't the case.

@Ralizah I mean, it isn't punishment. Game consoles see price drops, is that a punishment? And eventually even Nintendo games drop in price, Zelda NES isn't €50 anymore. Anyway, I don't feel punished if they dropped Mario Odyssey to €30 tomorrow. In fact, it's great, because it allows more people to experience the game and the franchise to grow. Now, okay, Mario doesn't need this, but for most other franchises it can't hurt. Because currently I skip quite a lot of Nintendo games because they're not worth €60 to me.

Octane

darkfenrir

AAAA NISA HAS ANNOUNCED IT DD I wonder how much its price will be... this is pretty much one of the games I want to buy Day 1 if possible

darkfenrir

NintendoByNature

@darkfenrir I watched the trailer but it's hard to tell what the game is about. What's the genre or storyline?

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

@Octane If I buy a PS5 at launch for $500, then half a year later it drops to $250 in a sale? Yes, that's punishing early adopters. Nintendo understands this, which is the reason they, for example, gave early 3DS adopters the ambassador games after the $80 price drop in 2011.

That sort of extreme price cutting behavior is functionally identical to what Sony does with most of its games. God of War was going on sale for $29.99 in the same year as release. And it took little over a year to drop to the $20 range. From $59.99.

That sort of price cutting behavior devalues games and incentivizes gamers to not pick up their games at launch. Which, I mean, is fine for me. I'm perfectly happy to wait a year and pick up games for $20 or less.

Nintendo releases products that retain their value over time precisely because Nintendo doesn't devalue their products, and that makes someone like me, who tries to save money where I can, much more likely to pick up their games close to launch.

Although, as I've said before, I think Nintendo goes a bit too far in that direction. In terms of pricing, I think Rockstar has the right approach. Their games do gradually sink in price, and RDR2 and especially GTA V can be had pretty cheaply in sales, but it takes a while for that to happen, and they rarely go too low.

ACTIVELY PLAYING

darkfenrir

@NintendoByNature It's pretty much a mystery dungeon game while taking care of the little girl :0 (So you adventure to dungeons to get resources to ensure that she's healthy and not getting diseases)

The world right now is pretty much after apocalypse or so. It's pretty much a mystery dungeon mixed with sim games

(If you have JP account, it has demo there for you to try if you want to )

darkfenrir

IceClimbers

Ubisoft is probably the most extreme case. They released the AC Rebel Collection in December at $40. I got it on sale for $25 at Target in January. 1 month is all it took. 1 month.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

link3710

@IceClimbers Ugh, seriously? I got it for $30, should've known it would drop further. Not that it wasn't worth that price but...

link3710

DarthNocturnal

AC Odyssey Gold was half off or more just a month or two after launch. I bought it for even less then that a few months later.

AC3 Remastered by itself cost more then what I paid for Gold. And Gold includes AC3 Remastered.

And for another (non-Ubisoft) example, just a week or two ago, I got Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe for $60 CAD. The vanilla game at full price is $80 CAD.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

IceClimbers

@link3710 They had it on sale for $30, but there was an additional percentage off if you used same day pickup that brought it to $25.

There's a target near my work so it worked out pretty well. The order was ready for pickup in less than an hour after I ordered it too.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@Ralizah So you're going to wait until FF7 Remake drops to €20 in about a year or so?

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane

Ralizah wrote:

Buying at launch is just burning money unless you're ridiculously excited for the game in question.

Not to mention Amazon had some amazing deal on the Collector's Edition, meaning I preordered it for the same price as the base game.

But if I hadn't secured that deal and wasn't a huge fan of the original... yeah, I'd wait a bit.

There's actually a really good deal on RE3 preorder for the PC that'd let me download it for $43, but, honestly, I know from experience with RE2 that it'll be down to around $20 by the end of the year, and I have other stuff to play in the meantime, so...

ACTIVELY PLAYING

Octane

@Ralizah I mean, that's fine. I do the same. There's a few games I buy day one every year. But honestly, I don't really get to play more than a dozen games a year. So about half the games are buy are day one I guess. The only difference is that I may pick up a Final Fantasy 7 next year when it hits 30, but Kirby won't ever drop in price, so I don't think I'll ever get it.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic