Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,681 to 47,700 of 58,212

JaxonH

I love remakes. FFVII Remake is golden in my eyes.

Or at least, it would be if not for the episodic schedule. That kills it.

Not to mention the fact they are strategically releasing it 6 months before the new generation starts knowing that when the exclusivity ends it’s going to drop on next gen platforms, and people are going to shell out for it again. This is what Cyberpunk is doing, except Cyberpunk isn’t pulling the one year hostage exclusivity for a multiplatform game, is releasing on next gen with free upgrades, and PC. That’s how it’s done. And that’s why I already have Cyberpunk paid for on Steam.

I’d rather just wait for the PC version, where I would ultimately double dip anyways, and I’d rather just wait for a complete edition (which by the time that happens, it’ll probably be releasing on Switch 2, at which point I’ll scoop that in addition to PC).

I did get a killer deal on the Amazon preorder for the Deluxe edition though ($45 or something like that) so I may keep the preorder, but I’m not sure I’ll be playing it until a PC release. It’s just that, I invested in PS4 all these years, May as well round out the package with one last purchase, because I won’t be having a PS5 collection this time. It’s all PC going forward.

So the era of my physical collecting dies with the 8th generation. Even Switch will be the last Nintendo system I buy physical for. The convenience of digital is too much to ignore but when you’ve invested in a physical library for so many years, the net result is the compulsion to buy both. So that’s fine, I’ll finish off the massive Switch library, but then it’s a wrap. Digital on Steam. Digital on Switch 2. Occasional double dips between them when warranted, but no more triple/quadruple dipping among PS4/X1/Switch physical/Switch digital/PC.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: MH Rise
PC: MH World
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns, Super Metroid
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, MH Stories 2, too many others to list…

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Haruki_NLI

So in what is perhaps the strangest thing today, I got a physical UK copy of Mortal Kombat 11.

No mention of a download required on the front, no banner, no info box. No mention on the back either amongst all the legal except the usual "online play may require additional storage".

One 18GB download later....

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Magician

Haruki_NLI wrote:

So in what is perhaps the strangest thing today, I got a physical UK copy of Mortal Kombat 11.

No mention of a download required on the front, no banner, no info box. No mention on the back either amongst all the legal except the usual "online play may require additional storage".

One 18GB download later....

Yeah Nintendo EU is more lenient with download notifications on retail games.

So long as the game is "playable" the download banner isn't required on the box art.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 738 games (as of June 24th, 2021)
Currently playing: Rune Factory 4 Special (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

DarthNocturnal

There's a chance FF VIIR on Xbox might make use of Smart Delivery, just like Cyberpunk. Then Xbox users would only ever have to shell out once.

If it doesn't, and does come to next gen, then I'll probably hold off on buying it until I get a Xbox Series Whatever.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Dezzy

Magician wrote:

To be fair, it might be sooner than that. It took S-E only two years to deliver this portion of FFVII Remake after disposing of everything CyberConnect2 worked on back in April 2018.

That was never confirmed to be true. It only came from 1 leaker who claimed to work for Square.

Also, it was never explained what percentage of the workload was given to Cyberconnect. A lot of people incorrectly reported that they were doing the whole thing. That was never true. It was always being primarly developed by Square Business Division 1. For all we know, Cyberconnect might have been given like just 10% of the workload, the trivial stuff that Square didn't want their more talented staff wasting time doing.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haruki_NLI

@Magician Is that confirmed to be the case? This is so far the only UK game that requires a download that doesn't mention it.

Then again according to a US friend the only indication over there is the notice on the back.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

Another release with a somewhat specific release window though not exact has been shadow dropped. Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC pack 1 had a release date of before the end of April and it's out now.

So the known 1st party content with an at least somewhat specific release window left are:

• Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX (March 6th 2020)
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons (March 20th 2020)
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Fantastic Four DLC (March 26th 2020)
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield Isle of Armor DLC (June 2020)
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC pack 2 (before the end of July 2020)
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield Crown Tundra DLC (November 2020)

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Heavyarms55

@Grumblevolcano Even though I'm in the extreme minority on this site, liking and being eager for the Pokemon DLC, I don't like the idea of DLCs being the "big releases" of the months. Nintendo must have full meat games planned for June and November. We'll probably hear about them in the Direct that I fully expect to happen about a week after Animal Crossing.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Quarth

Bought a yellow Switch Lite yesterday. Lovely little thing, will be a great companion to my OG Switch. I like how much lighter it feels.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Dezzy

What exactly is the benefit of having a Switch Lite if you already have the original? The only one I can think of is a slightly longer battery life.

Then the downsides are smaller screen, and permanently attached joysticks that will cause significantly more trouble if they start to drift.

Ralizah

@Dezzy The smaller screen size isn't a downgrade for me. Considering how many games run sub-native in handheld mode, the smaller screen yields an overall (slight) boost in image quality due to the increased pixel density. In addition, it's much lighter, much more easily portable, has a fantastic D-Pad (on my model, anyway), and, in general, is just more comfortable to use as a portable unit.

OG Switch is good for what it is, but the modular design feels very clunky in the hand over time (a problem the Lite will never have thanks to being an integrated unit), and its size makes it a bit too uncomfortable to want to hold for long periods of time. Grips can help somewhat, but they only add on to the weight and bulkiness.

I thought having a Lite would mean I could permanently retire my old Switch as a portable machine. As it stands now, though, I'm not sure if I want to use my OG system or my Lite for Animal Crossing, considering I can never switch between consoles like I can with literally every other game.

With that said, for any game that isn't called Animal Crossing, the Lite is a dramatically superior portable mode option. And I might still go with the Lite for my Animal Crossing island anyway.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

DarthNocturnal

@Dezzy

A more comfortable handheld mode. Although they probably could've just improved the joycons themselves to allow for better grip for a standard Switch. But they also wanted a cheaper model of Switch to sell so everyone in a household can have one.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

With that said, for any game that isn't called Animal Crossing, the Lite is a dramatically superior portable mode option. And I might still go with the Lite for my Animal Crossing island anyway.

Not for games that benefit from a larger screen. I really can't play open-world games on a small screen at all. I've tried! If I'm playing Xenoblade, Breath of the Wild, or Witcher 3, I can just about manage with the OG Switch undocked. Even then, I prefer to play those sort of games docked.

rallydefault

Spanjard wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Spanjard wrote:

Well, there is a difference between 2 years and six months. Try this, “hey, BOTW 2 is coming out in 2 years vs “Hey, BOTW 2 is coming out in 6 months hype! XD

There's a difference between 2 years and 6 months?

You are asking me?

I was being sarcastic. <face palm>

rallydefault

Ralizah

Dezzy wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Not for games that benefit from a larger screen. I really can't play open-world games on a small screen at all. I've tried! If I'm playing Xenoblade, Breath of the Wild, or Witcher 3, I can just about manage with the OG Switch undocked. Even then, I prefer to play those sort of games docked.

You should probably stick to your docked model, then. The Lite is for people who enjoy the smaller screen and lighter form factor of a proper handheld.

Playing those games on a smaller screen doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'd argue that, due to the image quality improvements it enjoys, playing on a Lite is the best way to experience The Witcher 3 on Nintendo Switch. After all, if I want to play it on a TV, the Switch is the last platform I'd ever consider playing it on.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

MuhBael

I'll never understand why people buy the same console twice

MuhBael

My Nintendo: Martin685

rallydefault

Yea, Switch Lite makes nearly zero sense for me, completely zero if you also own a regular Switch. I guess if you have 200 bucks just laying around and really can't find a better use for it? I don't know. Can't justify that much just to be a bit more comfortable in handheld mode.

People say the screen is so much crisper, the battery is amazing, and it even whispers sweet nothings in their ear after a hard day, but I chalk that up to brand fanaticism.

rallydefault

redd214

I'll never understand why people feel the need to understand how other people spend their own money. Mind boggling

redd214

rallydefault

redd214 wrote:

I'll never understand why people feel the need to understand how other people spend their own money. Mind boggling

I think you're confusing people just expressing their own thoughts with "needing" to know why other people do things. Which is ironic.

rallydefault

gcunit

If profiles were completely cloud-based and the whole cloud saves thing was completely seamless then I'd probably have a Lite by now, as you can pick them up for £150 (which was my trigger point) if you hunt around, but the cloud saves are a little clunky (in my experience so far) and the fact that my activity log doesn't merge/sync across my two Switch devices really ticks me off. So I'm in no hurry. I think.

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic