Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,701 to 47,720 of 58,212

Ralizah

In general, if you can't understand why someone would want the Switch Lite as a secondary console, then that's a good sign that the device is probably not for you.

Not every consumer product is going to appeal to every consumer.

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

Anti-Matter

MuhBael wrote:

I'll never understand why people buy the same console twice

My reasons :
1. The console is Region Lock (i bought PS2 Slim Japan and PS2 Fat USA, New 3DS XL USA and Japan )
2. The console have better upgrade.
3. Just for limited color edition.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Dezzy

@Ralizah

If I actually wanted to stick to just docked, I'd just play the PS4 version. I want portability, but I also prefer a bigger screen for games that are based in large enviornments (obviously if it's something like Link's Awakening, then I'm fine with a small screen).

Ideally I'd make the next Switch even bigger. I don't need things to fit in my pocket. I wear a backpack whenever I travel. A Switch Pro that had a screen that's twice the size of the OG Switch would be just fine with me! The only reason not to do that, in my opinion, would be the price being too high. And probably the battery life being awful.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@MuhBael I know for me, both my OG DS and 3DS eventually had the screens break, leading me to get the DS Lite and New 3DS XL. Also, my mom and I shared an OG gameboy, but eventually she got a gameboy pocket and let me have the OG Gameboy as mine.

@Dezzy Twice the size at 720p might actually start looking like the 3DS XL with too low of a pixel density at the distance you play handhelds at. I feel like they'd need 1080p minimum to get away with that.

link3710

TuVictus

Dezzy wrote:

Ideally I'd make the next Switch even bigger. I don't need things to fit in my pocket. I wear a backpack whenever I travel. A Switch Pro that had a screen that's twice the size of the OG Switch would be just fine with me! The only reason not to do that, in my opinion, would be the price being too high. And probably the battery life being awful.

Yeah, I'd like that, though I wouldn't expect it to happen. I hope whatever Switch Pro may or may not be released is sized in a way that allows it to be compatible with all existing docks.

TuVictus

Magician

MuhBael wrote:

Have you eaten from the same restaurant twice?

Switch Physical Collection - 738 games (as of June 24th, 2021)
Currently playing: Rune Factory 4 Special (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Dezzy

link3710 wrote:

@Dezzy Twice the size at 720p might actually start looking like the 3DS XL with too low of a pixel density at the distance you play handhelds at. I feel like they'd need 1080p minimum to get away with that.

Yeah good point. 900p would probably be enough though. My monitor is only 1080p and that's way bigger than twice the Switch.
Also, I never actually noticed that on the 3DS XL. It always looked great to me!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

veeflames

@rallydefault Except there's generally a bit of stuck-up-ness from people who "don't understand others who buy a Switch Lite."

As other users already mentioned, the Switch Lite offers a more comfortable hand-held experience (I'd agree 100% if not for the fact that the Lite does not offer HD Rumble. Its omission is truly a shame, in my opinion). It's smaller, doesn't wobble like the OG Switch, melts into your palms much nicer than the OG Switch, and the smaller screen on the Lite means that games tend to look just a tad bit sharper than on the OG Switch's screen. For people who play their Switch in handheld mode 90+% of the time, the Switch Lite is literally a god-send. It's not because of "slightly longer battery life," or "we want to buy the same console twice," or "we have $200 lying around and can't find a better use for it." It's because the Switch Lite offers a superb experience for those who want to play their AAA/top-tier Nintendo games on the go. Honestly, that reaaaaaaally shouldn't be too hard to understand. ūüėÖ

If only the Lite had HD Rumble. I don't think I'd even touch my OG Switch anymore except if I want to play games like Splatoon 2 or I still want to play a game (on the TV) if the Switch is charging. It's that big of a deal... for me, at least. The OG Switch is obviously amazing for what it does, but for many players who play hand-held a lot? The Lite is really a no-brainer for them.

@gcunit I don't think the cloud saves thing is as clunky as it is rather hands-off and gives (almost) full control of the data to the user. I think I explained how it works earlier in this thread, but I'll just give you a TL;DR of it: basically you can choose which save data you want to upload and which ones you want to download. It's inconvenient that you handle the data yourself, but at least no one is blindsided when newer data automatically dashes out older data. As for the activity log sync... I'm pretty sure it syncs just fine. I never played Astral Chain on my Lite (HD Rumble is too good to give up, haha), but it shows the correct play time when I go to my Lite's activity log. It also shows other games I've been playing on the OG Switch, too. I've been playing Smash on my Lite and I'm pretty sure it reflects properly on the OG Switch as well.

Yes, the Cloud Saves situation is a bit of a headache, seeing as you have to do your research on which games support it and which games don't (which could affect how you play the game on your systems), but I'd say it gets the job done. Kinda.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

link3710

@Dezzy The big distance between your monitor and the Switch is viewing distance. But that saidP, 900p should be a fine middle-ground too. Pixel density is mostly an issue with games with jagged edges (no AA) which is... honestly the majority of Switch games, since it makes it far more obvious.

link3710

Xyphon22

Magician wrote:

MuhBael wrote:

Have you eaten from the same restaurant twice?

I have, but I don't still have that first meal in my house to eat whenever I want to without having to buy it again.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

gcunit

@Vee_Flames Agreed on the Lite's lack of HD rumble, it's an extra compromise that makes it harder to buy into.

Re. cloud saves - I would like to be able to launch my game on any Switch that my account is on and be prompted for whether to load a local save or a cloud save. I'm still getting instances on my Switch B where I want to play a game I played on my Switch A, but for whatever reason Switch A hasn't auto-uploaded a save file, so I have to dig out my Switch A and do it manually. That is clunky.

Re. play log - it seems very much YMMV. I have one game, out of 100-odd, where it's synced somehow, but no others. Every time I play a game (previously played on Switch A) on Switch B for the first time it just acts like I've never played it, and goes on like that, two separate counters under the same profile. Posted a topic on Reddit about it earlier and the few respondents have had the same experience as me.

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

Why have I got 2 x Switch?

I wanted a second dock and came across a chance to get a Switch v1.1 for 25% off. Once you deduct the cost of the dock, the AC lead and the joy-cons, all of which are worth having second sets of, it becomes a brand new v1.1 Switch tablet for not very much money at all.

Edited on by gcunit

MuhBael

@Ralizah Is more about why would you buy a console that can play the same games again?

MuhBael

My Nintendo: Martin685

gcunit

@MuhBael You ever had a well-used item that you really loved wear out - a pair of jeans, a coat, a dog?

Some people love their gaming devices and want them to live for life.

veeflames

MuhBael wrote:

@Ralizah Is more about why would you buy a console that can play the same games again?

The two consoles offer different experiences for players who prefer one experience over the other. We're not talking about buying two Switch systems that are the same model (which, idk why anyone would have a problem with that). We're talking about buying different models. Heck that isn't a sufficient description, because that would imply we're doing the same thing as buying a PS4 and a PS4 Slim. So let me rephrase: We're talking about buying different models that offer the appropriate but different experiences for the player. One is geared for the general user who switches periodically between handheld and docked mode, the other is geared primarily for players seeking a more refined handheld play. Owning both models gives you the best of both worlds, IMO.

@gcunit
Cloud Saves: Agreed, that would be more convenient than the system that we have now, although I would argue that the current system isn't too much of a hassle anyway. In regards to cloud save uploads, for me I've found that my Switch A always uploads new data on a timely manner so that all I have to do is pick up Switch B and just download the new data if I want to. But yes, I believe the Switch can sometimes delay uploading the data. It uploads it eventually, though. If I need it any faster, I'd just tap the two buttons required and upload the data myself.

Sync: haha, admittedly I just checked my Switch Lite activity log this morning, saw that it had my Astral Chain play time properly registered, and assumed everything worked just fine. Maybe that's not the case, I'll have to check when I get home or something. I do remember I had this weird issue where the Astral Chain play time on my OG Switch log wasn't updating like it should (I could've sworn I played the game for 30+ hours even when the log was displaying 25+ hours). I'm not sure what fixed it, but I think it was because I turned on my Lite after a while and then it just sorta updated to 35+ hours. Not sure what happened, really. Could be something to do with the sync, I guess.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Ralizah

@MuhBael Because if you play primarily in handheld mode and find the Lite to be more comfortable for doing so, it makes sense to pick one up if you have the money.

Same reason people will repurchase games they already own on the Switch, for example. Even if you could save money by just playing your PS4/PC copy of a game, it might be worth it to shell out and get a more accessible hybrid/handheld version of the game.

If you've ever spent more money than is strictly necessary to have a better experience with something, then you should be able to understand this, even if, in this particular case, the reasoning doesn't resonate with you.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

TuVictus

There's been some decent sales going on in the eShop recently. Picked up Sonic 2 on a whim, and Degrees of Separation offers an interesting co-op experience

TuVictus

Ryu_Niiyama

I bought a Switch v2 because I needed a travel dock, new joycons to replace my then drifting ones, a copy of dq 11 and I wanted the better battery life. While I prefer games on the tv I don't have one currently so handheld is my option and the Lite is too small for my eye to play comfortably. I'll likely retropi my og switch eventually so I can play more fighting games on it.

(that being said if they make a Zelda lite Ill buy it because I have no self control...)

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

toiletduck

@TuVictus Sonic 2 on sale already? Where?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

TuVictus

@toiletduck I'm sorry, I misremembered because I got it with other games that were on sale, but it was only $8 on the eshop!

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic