Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,021 to 47,040 of 70,008

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55
What gets me though is, why only Switch Lite?

Should be identical OS. Only difference is it uses the system Gyro instead of the joycon gyro... wait... that’s gotta be it. Maybe the system Gyro is bugged but nobody ever noticed because the original model uses the joycon gyro.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH I've only played the OG Borderlands w/o DLC and pieces of Borderlands 2 out of the games coming. So yeah, I'm super hyped, they've always been top games on my list. I'm a little more torn on Burnout Paradise, solely because it's EA and I don't want to support them with the way their company acts. Though yeah, that, Mass Effect Trilogy and the Dragon Ages are the only ones I'd want.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

1UP_MARIO

@ralphdibny thanks. Will check it out

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH Do we know for sure that the Switch Lite uses the exact same OS? Even if that's the case, the hardware is somewhat different, there could be redundant coding, one set for the OG Switch gyro and one for Switch Lite gyro that would explain the issue happening only in the Lite - if the error were in the coding for the Lite specific code.

I'm just making an educated guess here. But you said it yourself, why only the Lite and not both models?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55
It’s gotta be that Lite uses system gyro and not joycon. I’m betting the system Gyro is much less reliable because it was never intended to be used as the main gyro when the OG Switch was originally designed, I bet that oversight filtered down into the Lite.

@link3710
I don’t like supporting EA either, but the reason I don’t like supporting them is because they do things I don’t like (such as ignoring Switch). So in the rare instances they actually do something I like, such as bringing 60fps Burnout Paradise to Switch, I can’t not support that. Because ”not supporting them” only has an effect if you actually do support them when they do things you do like.

My policy is simple. Bring games to Switch- I buy. Don’t bring games to Switch- I don’t buy. So for 99% of their games, I’m not buying. I want them to specifically see the error of their ways. I want them to specifically see the increased sales when they do support Switch. Otherwise they’ll never bring anything again and I see no upside in that situation for me. Only downside.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH Do we know that the Lite uses the same system gyro even? I've seen strip downs of the Lite and OG model and I know the internals are not identical.

MsJubilee

I played the Trials of Mana demo for an hour or two I have to say this; it's so dumb and cheesy, I love it. To top it all off, it runs and looks great. Sold Square Enix! I'll be there day one.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

veeflames

MsJubilee wrote:

I played the Trials of Mana demo for an hour or two I have to say this; it's so dumb and cheesy, I love it. To top it all off, it runs and looks great. Sold Square Enix! I'll be there day one.

That's the thing, though. The original wasn't as... well, dumb and cheesy as the remake seems tobe. I'm playing through Kevin's story and I've the spirit of the original is nowhere to be found whatsoever. Instead we have cheesy dialogue and even cheesier animation to tell whatever half-baked story it wants to tell.

I was so hyped for this game when it was announced. It looked great. It still looks great visually. But man, the demo has sucked out a lot of the hype I had, so I'll probably be picking up the game when it's on sale or something. Definitely not a day one buy anymore, that's for sure.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Ralizah

@Vee_Flames I played Riesz's prologue and then watched a video online of the same prologue from the SNES version, and, honestly, the two were pretty identical. I think a lot of the stupidity and weirdness that we see in older JRPGs probably doesn't translate as well to a more modern 3D game.

I'm trying to imagine a 3D FF6 remake with Ultros or train suplexing and, honestly, it's difficult.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MsJubilee

Vee_Flames wrote:

That's the thing, though. The original wasn't as... well, dumb and cheesy as the remake seems tobe. I'm playing through Kevin's story and I've the spirit of the original is nowhere to be found whatsoever. Instead we have cheesy dialogue and even cheesier animation to tell whatever half-baked story it wants to tell.

Also add that the voice acting is terrible, Xenoblade 2 bad. I love bad voice acting, but that's going to turn many people off, the dialogue and animations don't help either. I never played the original, so I can't say anything about it.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

veeflames

@Ralizah Hmm, well.. that's interesting. I only played Kevin's prologue in the demo (I'll still play more the prologues of the other characters, that's for sure), so I don't know about the others.

As someone who played Kevin's story an embarrassing amount of times in the original though, yeah.. there's definitely something missing in the remake's version. To limit spoilers, let's just say the story before Kevin gets to The Holy City seems to have been shortened a lot. For one, the entire Moonlight Forest scene seems to have been emancipated, from the death of Karl, to going through the forest's maze-like paths, to navigating the castle of Ferolia up until the point where he is thrown out... . It all seems to have been shortened to be made more accessible to players, I would imagine. I wouldn't really have a problem with it, but then like I mentioned earlier, we have cheesy dialogue and even cheesier animation to boot. Oh yeah, and that awfuuuuuul voice acting, too.

Well, I did play the fan translation of the game back in the day, so I guess I can't say Square Enix themselves have dropped the ball on anything. Still though. Dragon Quest 9 seems to have much more going for it in terms of presentation and overall cheesiness. For me, there's just something really off about Trials of Mana, which is a darn shame. I'll probably have to play with the other characters to make a more sound judgement of the game, but I'm really not expecting my views to change.... I mean, what would be different in the other stories?

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
"3D" FF VI Final Battle with Kefka has been included on FF XIV Online battle.

Why don't SquareEnix remake FF VI with proper 3D ? 😕
They gave it to FF XIV instead.

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

I'd much rather see FF6 get the "HD2D" treatment along the lines of Octopath Traveller personally.

EvilLucario

I tried the Trials of Mana demo on PC and while I haven't finished it yet, the combat seemed pretty basic. Not sure if I'm a huge fan, and I was playing on Hard as well. Hm.

Regardless I'm just been going back to finish my backlog and replay old games and work on Rune Factory 4 Special while I wait for Xenoblade DE (or XenoblaDE). Final Fantasy 7 Remake is also en route but I'm not sure if I'm gonna dive deep into that as well since I also have my reservations about not being able to 100% dodge attacks in that game, instead making you block.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@MsJubilee Xenoblade 2's voice acting is mostly pretty decent, though. Rex is awful with anything requiring screaming or emotion, but otherwise, I really enjoyed the voice acting.

I only played the one prologue in Trials of Mana, but the voice acting was embarrassingly terrible. Also, the voice casting for the king was SO off.

@Vee_Flames Interesting. I'll need to compare the prologues for various characters and see how they fare, I guess.

Sometimes a remake isn't going to really resonate with you. Sometimes the magic of a game is lost in a remake. I was thinking of starting with the 3D Trials of Mana, but I'm halfway tempted to d/l the Mana Collection demo while it's on sale. The only thing stopping me is that I've heard Secret of Mana is pretty terrible as a single-player experience. Can you offer your opinion on that, if possible?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Heavyarms55

@Ralizah I like the voice acting in XC2 as well. But I wish they had stuck with the original Japanese names. Just my own taste - but I've never really liked changing the names in different regions unless the name is specifically a pun or something story related the play is supposed to know. Then again, I suppose Pyra/Mythra kind of have that like Homura/Hikari. But Rex in Japanese is still just Rex so...

Anyway, overall I liked the voice acting. Which is not something I say too often about English voice dubs for anything.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
I was baffled by their dialogues on Xenoblade 2.
Their English texts was very formal or hard to digest or almost like Final Fantasy XII dialogues.
There were some English words or sentences i have never heard as Normal conversations. 😅

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter English isn't your first language, that's perfectly understandable.

Tobiaku
Mary Skelter Finale comes out later this year. Its the third, and judging by its name the last Mary Skelter gamer.

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

JaxonH

Ooh ooh ooh!

Regarding Borderlands...

Turn Me Up states that the team “worked tireless with 2K and Gearbox to bring these ravenously requested classics to Switch in full 1080p, at 30 FPS and with no downgrading of art assets.” It also “included all the trimmings of the GOTY releases” while also making motion controls just for the new Switch collection

Motion with gyro! 1080p! Which means a for sure 720p handheld. Run that baby! Whew! I thought for sure they wouldn't do motion given the Bulletstorm precedent.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic