Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,981 to 46,000 of 46,278

Magician

A little over three hours until the Game Award nominees are announced.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 475 games (as of December 5th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Trails of Cold Steel (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Grumblevolcano

On the Nintendo front you have:
Smash Ultimate - GotY, Best Fighting Game, Best Family Game
Tetris 99 - Best Multiplayer Game
Yoshi's Crafted World - Best Family Game
Cadence of Hyrule - Best Score/Music
Super Mario Maker 2 - Best Family Game
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Best Strategy Game
Astral Chain - Best Action Game
Link's Awakening - Best Art Direction, Best Action/Adventure Game
Ring Fit Adventure - Best Family Game
Luigi's Mansion 3 - Best Family Game

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

Most of the games nominated for Best Family Game are solo affairs.

The co-op portion in Luigi's Mansion 3 might be the winner there.

Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 wrote:

BlueBlur101 wrote:

GOTY is totally going to Death Stranding anyway calling it

Because Kojima

This is a dumb call, its not even that level of critically acclaimed. Metacritic literally says its the 26th best rated PS4 game of this year. There are 25 games released in 2019 that scored better than it on just one console.

SO GUESS WHO WAS ENTIRELY WRONG

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

link3710

@Magician As much as I think LM3 is probably a better family game than Smash (though Smash is the better game overall), I have my doubts that Smash will lose any category it's in. I mean, I haven't gotten to play Samurai Showdown (yet) or Dead or Alive 6, but I have my doubts either stands a chance against that monster.

GOTY going to Death Stranding seems inevitable though.

EDIT: Speaking of Samurai Shodown though, anyone know why Nintendo took down their announcement trailer?

Edited on by link3710

link3710

gcunit

What's the deal with the play activity log when one user account uses multiple Switches?

On my newer Switch the log shows my total play time for FIFA 18 across both devices, but with Smash it seems to be splitting the time between devices. Though I've not used my older Switch much since getting the v2, so maybe I need to play Smash on that again (cos I think I've done that with FIFA) to get the logs to sync...?

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

The GotY awards for 2019 can’t be taken seriously.

If an award show is going to truly represent the best video games that are releasing, they have to understand what the best games are, and what is regarded as the best games by the consensus of players. Control and Death Stranding have no business being in that category.

I have both games, and I honestly think they are both good games, but not GotY material games. I liked Quantum Break, but it wasn’t GotY. That’s like putting Yoshi’s Crafted World up for GotY. I’m struggling to understand how Control was nominated and not Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, DMC5 or Jedi Fallen Order. Death Stranding as well. I liked everything about that game except the gameplay, which was just... not good, to be perfectly blunt. Everything else about the game is good enough that I’d still say it’s a good game overall but again, not GotY material.

Jedi Fallen Order, DMC5, Fire Emblem and Astral Chain all scored higher and are all better games than those two by consensus (and imo). I’m not saying they should win necessarily, but they should’ve been the ones nominated instead of Control and Death Stranding. I take no issue with the other four.

If there was any doubt these game awards do not represent us as gamers, that doubt is surely put to rest now. Jeff Keighly is in the game, for goodness sakes. And sure enough, it gets more nominations than any other game, even for GotY, despite countless other games being better rated and better received. He can argue that his bias had no effect on the outcome, but I don’t think anyone is buying it. I’m certainly not. I think it should probably win at least one or two other categories but, not GotY.

And then, they put DLC on the award list with Monster Hunter, yet completely skip over Dragon Quest XI S, just like they skipped over Xenoblade 2. It’s a recurring trend with these awards. They favor realism and graphics over the net result of how great the game is overall.

I honestly don’t know what my GotY is. But I know it’s not any of the ones nominated, not even Smash.

PLAYING
NS: Pokemon Sword, The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, DQXIS
X1X: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@gcunit
Not sure, but I’ve noticed the same thing. I think each system keeps a separate count of how much you played on that system, but then again there are a few games that share the play time between the systems so I really don’t know.

PLAYING
NS: Pokemon Sword, The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, DQXIS
X1X: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Exactly how are nominees decided? Because if it's via public consensus via voting, well... R.I.P. The people have spoken.

Well, R.I.P. either way, really.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

RR529

@JaxonH, Dragon Quest XI S wasn't eligable because while it does have a bunch of new bells & whistles, it's ultimately a re-release and as such isn't considered a new release.

Ports & HD remasters can't be nominated (though the first few years they did have a remaster category, not sure why they dropped it), though full on remakes like RE2 & Link's Awakening can be.

EDIT: Jedi Fallen Order may have released after the cut off date, so it may be eligable next year.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

link3710

Personally, I'd say my GotY is easily Astral Chain, but I imagine DMC5 could challenge that if I'd played it (working on the first one on Switch at the moment actually).

Question though, is Jedi Order actually that good? I literally ignored it completely thanks to EA's name being on it, I didn't think anyone would be suggesting it for GotY.

link3710

link3710

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Last year's was God of War . Only remember that one because I actually semi-agreed with it, even if I haven't finished that game yet.

link3710

NintendoByNature

I just like tuning into the show. It's fun to watch for the game reveals if anything. Smash, astral chain, lm3 and links awakening aught to win some awards, but who knows..i was glad to see cadence get nominated for at least 1 category 😁

NintendoByNature

link3710

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Holy shoot okay, I really want to play that now. I'm a huge Star Wars nut, so until EA got their hands on the license I played basically every game under that license (even Yoda Stories on Gameboy, brrr)

link3710

kkslider5552000

I'm not the biggest fan of the game awards, and quite frankly I'm often baffled when its gotten a positive response. But "well I don't care for these games as much" is a deeply embarrassing reason to doubt the award nominees, doubly so when there's more valid reasons to do so.

It would be like if I went into a diatribe about the moronic reasoning behind Oscar animation winners and all the Hollywood bias towards Disney and its like and the underappreciation of animation from a panel of judges that sometimes don't even watch most of nominees...and my conclusion just being "I DON'T LIKE DISNEY MOVIES, WHY DO OTHER PEOPLE > : ( "

Edited on by kkslider5552000

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Buizel

My main disappointment with TGA is the lack of representation from Fire Emblem. Easily my GotY, and it received greater critical acclaim than many of the games nominated for multiple awards (including half of the GotY nominees).

Although, given the nature of the game, I'm not at all surprised.

Buizel

jump

Buizel wrote:

My main disappointment with TGA is the lack of representation from Fire Emblem. Easily my GotY, and it received greater critical acclaim than many of the games nominated for multiple awards (including half of the GotY nominees).

Although, given the nature of the game, I'm not at all surprised.

Fire Emblem was nominated though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Buizel

@jump for only one category afaik - Best Strategy Game.

Tbf I think the award categories aren't really set up for it to do well. The only other categories I could see it belonging to are Best RPG (I would certaintly consider it to be an RPG but I can see where the debate is here) and GotY (I think it's a strong enough game to be here, but not the kind of game that is usually nominated).

Edited on by Buizel

Buizel

Magician

Considering how Nintendo is dominating nominations in some Game Award categories, it makes me wonder how many world premiere trailers we'll get from Nintendo during the event? With Sony and MS bottling their first party announcements for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett reveal events, I assume this year's Game Awards will be a pseudo-Nintendo Direct of sorts. Or will third party publishers begin building hype for next-gen games now?

Should be interesting.

Edited on by Magician

NEStalgia

I don't know, every year people hype up "TGA will have Nintendo announcements!" And usually it materializes to very little.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic