Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 39,281 to 39,300 of 50,504

Ralizah

Heads up. Apparently there will be a physical release of Cuphead on Switch/Xbox in the future once the patches and DLC are all out.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/cuphead-coming-to-nintendo-s...

Considering I already own Cuphead on PC, I'll probably wait for this physical version of the game.

@JaxonH Really? Makes me even more inclined to ignore Microsoft's hardware, to be honest. I have a PC for power, after all, and hundreds of games in my Steam library. I only buy consoles for exclusives (and portability, in the case of something like the Switch), and the Xbox brand will clearly have nothing to offer in that regard in the future.

Edited on by Ralizah

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

Magician

JaxonH wrote:

I smell a glorious future with Nintendo and Microsoft side by side, where their consoles go hand in hand.

This just makes me lean further toward Xbox as my preferred power console of choice.

Agreed. MS has made great strides with gamers ever since the debacle that was E3 2013. Kinect 2.0 required for the Xbox One to function, physical games tied to the system they were launched with, additional fees to have the license of that game transferred to a different player (MS gets money when you sell your physical copy of a game), and a daily internet check in just to play your games.

MS has been singing a different tune since they've been in third place the past couple years, eventually walking back all those poor decisions that buried the Xbox One. Seeing MS and Nintendo go buddy-buddy against Sony is endlessly entertaining. The next round of PS5 vs. Xbox Scarlett + Switch Pro should be electric. Que the Super Saiyan Cena gif please.
Untitled

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 623 games (as of July 8th, 2020)
Currently playing: The Grisaia Trilogy (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Ralizah

Why aren't Blaster Master Zero and Crypt of the Necrodancer on sale after the Direct? Seems like a missed opportunity.

@Magician Pretty much the best thing that can happen to any console manufacturer drunk on their own success is to take a vicious beating that just stops short of killing them. Happened to both Xbox after their success with the 360 and Nintendo after their success with the Wii, and they're ultimately better for it.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah " Makes me even more inclined to ignore Microsoft's hardware, to be honest. I have a PC for power, after all, and hundreds of games in my Steam library."

...there's always one.....
The Microsoft platform is one and the same. XBox hardware or Windows, doesn't matter, you're still playing on the Microsoft gaming ecosystem.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I disagree. The PC platform, Windows OS or otherwise, plays host to a variety of storefronts, and is very much its own ecosystem. That it acts as a sort of "neutral zone" between the big console manufacturers is likely why it's now getting access to both Xbox and Playstation exclusives.

Granted, the Xbox brand's integration with Windows 10 blurs that line a lot, but I'm still on 8.1 and intend to stay on that until I literally have no other choice but to upgrade. Even then, however, it's not like you don't have access to hundreds of other storefronts that Microsoft is unconnected to.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah The XBox was literally designed to be a Windows box in the living room to save the developer lock to Windows via DirectX from Sony's Playstation incursion into it and it's reliance on OpenGL. XBox's whole purpose is WINDOWS gaming to compete against PS, in a PS-like form-factor. Picking nits about the Windows Store versus access to other stores isn't really significant.

Windows 8/8.1 is the only thing worse than 10. 7 or go home.

But don't worry, you'll be playing all your games with a subscription in Chrome, soon, and I do know how you love your Chrome

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The only real problem with 8 are the strange changes made to the UI, and that's easily fixable by applying Classic Shell. I haven't seen the Metro screen in years.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I buy consoles for additional games I couldn’t previously play, be they exclusive or otherwise. And one needs SOME kind of platform to play multiplats on, because as much as I like Switch there’s a lot of games it doesn’t get.

So, as it pertains to power consoles, yes, this really makes me lean towards Microsoft even more. Of course I already leaned towards them due to the power of X1X running games better than any other console, and the convenience of plug and play console versus PC, which I’m really not a fan of an only turn on when I absolutely have to. All my consuls and PC are connected to the same TV, but if I have a choice I’d much rather a game be on Xbox One X than PC. If I pulled out a stopwatch and counted the time it takes to get up out of my chair and turn my PC on it and boot into Windows, navigate the OS with a controller, boot into Steam, start the game, etc etc, and compare that to simply turning on the Xbox and firing up the game, there’s going to be a pretty big difference. That and not dealing with the crap you deal with on PC that I brought up many times before and really don’t want to get into now. There’s also games that do come to Switch but that I still want a 4K version of (like DOOM and Wolf)

But ya. Exclusives matter after you have already established a platform to play all the multiplats on. But you still have to have a platform to do that. And I’m definitely leaning towards Xbox as being that platform. They could have no exclusives and I would be leaning towards them. Because it’s not really about the exclusives here. The one big advantage PC has is games always being available in the future, but I think Xbox is going to change that with their new pro-consumer backward and forward compatibility stance.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Trails of Cold Steel 3, Catherine Full Body
PC: Trails of Cold Steel 1, Persona 4 Golden

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020
NS: Paper Mario Origami King, Bravely Default II
PC: Vampire: Masquerade- Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Dogorilla

I wonder if there's a physical release of Chocobo's Dungeon on the way? I say this because the eShop page has a notice that says 'Bonus for purchasing on Nintendo eShop: Buddy Chocobo Alpha', but currently the eShop is the only place to buy the game on Switch, so that notice is pretty much redundant unless there's also going to be a physical version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

Ralizah

@JaxonH As someone who owns almost every modern gaming platform, the Xbox One/One X exists in a space where it's irrelevant to me. It doesn't have the versatility, customizability, or openness of a PC (which, in addition to having access to an unfathomably large number of games going back decades, can also be used to emulate almost all other systems; the sheer amount of stuff you can do gaming-wise on PC is crazy). It doesn't have the Japanese third party support of the PS4. It doesn't have the portability or neat modular controllers or Nintendo games that make the Switch such a joy to own. Obviously it's missing out on the portability and unique software that made the 3DS and Vita worth owning. It's... OK if you don't care about Japanese games, or exclusives, or... anything else that makes the other consoles uniquely stand out, I guess.

I mean, if you like the Xbox brand, more power to you, but I really don't see how it's anything other than a third wheel in the industry right now.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dogorilla

I play Nintendo consoles almost exclusively, but if I were to get another modern system I'd be more inclined towards the Xbox One in principle, because Microsoft seems to treat their fans with more respect than Sony does, what with the whole cross-play thing etc. Realistically though, the PS4 has far more interesting exclusives in my opinion, mostly because of its superior support from Japanese developers, so I think I'd have to choose the PS4 over the Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

JaxonH

@subpopz
I don’t know, but quicker than PC. And please don’t take this personally but there’s always someone who says “ I can start my PC and get in a game in 3 1/2 seconds” but that’s just not the case for me. I have to get out of my seat to turn it on which I don’t have to do for my Xbox. I have to change an extra input on my TV which I don’t have to do for Xbox. I have to hope the little app that lets my controller control the mouse boots up right away which I don’t have to do on Xbox. I have to hope steam doesn’t have another update to install when I try to launch it (which has happened every single time I’ve turn my PC on for the last 2 1/2 years, and while Xbox does have system updates from time to time it’s not even remotely close, and it’s done automatically most the times anyways). I have to wait for steam to boot up in big picture mode half the time, inexplicably, something I don’t have to deal with on Xbox, and then when I get to the game I have to hope it doesn’t need an update as well. Because I can’t keep my PC on with Internet running because it will interfere with my switch Wi-Fi, yet again, something I don’t have to deal with on Xbox. All of that on top of the fact it just takes longer to boot up and start steam and start the game in the first place then it does to just grab a controller, hit the Xbox button and select the game to play.

I’m not trying to disparage PC to the guys who love PC who will list off 100 reasons why it’s better and tell me I’m just wrong, but PC is a inconvenience in comparison to consoles, especially when it’s hooked up like a console to a television where you don’t have a mouse and keyboard. I could write a book about all the reasons for that, but at the end of the day it just comes down to the fact it’s not as convenient, and it’s more of a hassle. I don’t have a secret bias against PC. If it was as convenient I would use it- it’s that simple really. And I don’t think it’s any secret that consoles have the advantage of more convenience and less hassle. That’s like the number one reason people by dedicated consoles. They’re convenient.

I feel like every time I say PC is less convenient than a console to me I have to defend my position. Anyone who likes PC please continue enjoying it. But for me it is not nearly as convenient it’s way more of a hassle and I would much rather use an Xbox one X.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Because none of those reasons are why I like the Xbox. The reason I like it is for the big multiplats.

All the versatility and customizability an openness is is neat, if that’s what you’re looking for, but to me it’s like comparing it to a phone. A phone can do all kinds of things a console can’t do, heck you can even make phone calls and text message, but that’s not what I am buying a console for so it makes little difference. All the things PC can do are really nice and neat if that’s what you’re actually looking for but if that’s not what you care about that it doesn’t really make much of a difference at all. I just want a platform where I can play the big games on, and do it as conveniently as possible with games that look and run as good as possible. And Xbox One X is a dream when it comes to that. Absolutely superb.

I could exclusively game on Switch and be perfectly content. But having access to all the big multiplats is nice also, and I’d much rather play them on Xbox than PlayStation because they run better and I trust Microsoft more than Sony to actually make their games forward compatible. Sure, I like Japanese games, but I don’t like them enough to play them if they’re not on Switch, so it’s kind of a moot point. In fact there aren’t many games out there at all that I like enough to play if they’re not on Switch. But there are some- most of which are the bigger multiplat games (MH World, Trials Fusion, DMC5, etc). I like emulation too, but yet again I don’t play emulated games that much, and I’d rather have the convenience of an Xbox One X than deal with inconvenience on a regular basis just to have access to emulated games that I’m only going to play once a year anyways, not to mention the fact there’s a number of big console games that are getting no release on PC nowadays, or buggy release or late release. If I want to deal with that I’ll wait for the Switch version 😉

Truth is I don’t really like the Xbox brand. The brand is pretty bland to me and soulless. In fact Xbox has consistently been my least favorite platform since they entered the market. But my opinion has changed since owning an Xbox One X. And it didn’t change at first, because when I first got it the UI was so atrociously bad, with delay loading the icons for your games and delay moving around the menu, delay for everything, ads everywhere and a horrendous layout, that I actually wrote them off at one point and said I was done with Xbox and was selling my system. But then they updated it and it’s been amazing ever since.

So it has nothing to do with liking the brand, it has everything to do with it being a heck of an awesome console for playing all the biggest games. People talk about exclusives and emulated games and Japanese games and all these different types of games as being important, but fail to mention the importance of major multiplats, which account for 95% of the games released today. So if there’s a console that can play that 95% and do it better than any other console, and do it more conveniently with less hassle than a PC, why would it seem strange someone prefers that? Do you give up a few things and/or groups of games you could have gotten on another platform? Sure. But what you get in return for the 95% of games that do come is worth the tradeoff, just like it is on Switch. Because Switch also misses a lot of games (much more than Xbox) yet the advantages you gain for the games that do come make it worthwhile. The portability and motion make it worthwhile. For X1X, the superior performance and controller makes it worthwhile over PS, while the convenience and ease of use make it preferable to PC.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

I mean, there's no right or wrong choices in terms of what you enjoy, and having a hobby is all about doing what you enjoy. It's why I feel no shame in choosing to play the fanservicey rail shooter or obscure indie platformer instead of the billion-dollar AAA game people can't shut up about most of the time.

If nothing else, at least you don't have to pay to get access to cloud saves on the Xbone.

@JaxonH The thing is, though, that the vast majority of major multiplats play very well on PS4/Pro/PC. And you're missing out on a wide swath of non-Western AAA multiplats in the process (if it's the only other system that you own, I mean). So I REALLY don't understand the appeal unless Western AAA games are all that you play.

If the important thing is having a system that can easily play the biggest games out there, then the PS4 or PS4 Pro seem like the obvious purchases to me. Especially now that Sony is developing exclusives that rival Nintendo's in terms of critical acclaim and sales.

Also, I'm pretty sure 95% of the games that comes out are indies at this point. You just don't hear as much about them because they don't have advertising budgets that go up into the millions.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
True that.

I learned firsthand the importance of cloud saves back on the Vita. My 64gb card failed within the first year after I bought it, which was around year 3 (not only were they expensive, they had a high failure rate). I thought I lost all my saved data for every game on the system. Years worth of saves.

Then I realized I had PS+ from a year my bro gifted me for Christmas, and it had auto backed up my saves to the cloud. I never even knew this was a feature and yet it saved my butt. You could manually back up the saves but you had to do it one by one, and who has time for that.

That’s why I subbed to Nintendo online without hesitation, even if begrudgingly. Because I knew that if that day came where I lost all my saved on my Switch, it might put me off enough to just stop gaming. So I said screw it, $20/yr insurance policy, handled in the background, is well worth it.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH What bugs me is the first-party Nintendo games that don't allow you to backup the data. That's simply unacceptable.

To be honest, I've ripped on it a number of times in favor of Tetris Effect, but I'm enjoying Tetris 99 enough to stay subbed just to have access to that. Although the partial cloud save support and growing library of NES games certainly helps.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Responding to the edit...

Those games do indeed play well on the other systems. But there’s a pretty big difference between 1440p on PS4 Pro and native 4K 60fps on Xbox One X. Game after game, the difference is significant. Red Dead Redemtion 2 is a great example of the difference between PS4 Pro and X1X. And with PC, for starters my PC is not more powerful than my X1X, and I’m willing to wager most gamers don’t have a PC more powerful than an X1X. Enthusiasts will, but a lot of people have less powerful PCs as well. That aside, convenience as a console replacement is the big detractor from PC, not the games (though I wager price also factors into it for others, as pound for pound it is more expensive).

Not sure how many non-Western AAA games exist, but Xbox is getting a lot of them. It got Kingdom Hearts 3. Final Fantasy XV. Left Alive. DMCV. RE2. MH World. Etc etc. it gets a lot more than just western. It’s actually shocking how many games Xbox gets. It’s starting to miss a few of the Japanese games but most of those, Switch gets, so no biggie.

I’m not saying Xbox is worth having instead of Switch, but as a first choice in addition to Switch. Which means you’ve already got access to those Japanese games, and with hybrid functionality.

As for indies, I treat the masses of indies as nonexistent shovelware. They’re just not relevant to me and I imagine most gamers. I’m not talking about ALL indies, but the vast majority. The good ones are definitely relevant and games I care about. But the number of good, quality indies is far lower.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'll admit that a huge aspect of my disinterest in the Xbone X (and, probably, the PS5) is a broader disinterest in 4K gaming and content. I simply have no desire to upgrade my hardware for higher-resolution media when 1080p games and movies already look perfectly good to me. Actually, as long as a game looks decent, I don't care about the visual quality at all, which is why I pretty much always dial down visuals effects in my PC games to boost the framerate (a feature I wish was present in more console games).

Xbox (somehow, since they never seem to sell well) keeps getting games from a handful of big Japanese companies, but it's missing a lot of the AA and smaller releases that you'll find all over PS4 and PC.

Switch's Japanese library is still pretty limited, unfortunately. Especially from the bigger companies. Although that gradually seems to be changing, now that everyone is clamoring to get their games on the system. It'll never be the go-to place for AAA games, thanks to the system's inherent power restrictions, but that hasn't really hurt the appeal of the system. As I've argued before, and the sales of the system seem to reflect this, there didn't need to be YET ANOTHER powerful home console on the market.

Most indies are probably mediocre, but the same is likely true of the majority of AAA Western multiplats. The majority of pretty much everything is unexceptional, as a rule: it's what allows the true gems to shine all the brighter.

Edited on by Ralizah

HobbitGamer

I’ve always used an Xbox product to complement (or skip, in the case of the WiiU) Nintendo’s offering since the OG box. Being able to use the same account each console iteration has been a nice thing for me, as well as the constant improvements and additions to the Live service. If Nintendo could learn just one thing from that brand, I would want it to be how online console services have been handled by Microsoft.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic